inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted

Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
installed.

When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
"...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
The specified module could not be found..."

Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation has
been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
contact your System Admininistrator...."

I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and same
thing occurs.

Any thoughts appreciated.

1
Charles

Another hijackware infection, Charles.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Charles W Davis wrote:
> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
> installed.
>
> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
> The specified module could not be found..."
>

> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation has
> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>
> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and same
> thing occurs.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

0
PA
2/20/2010 9:42:59 PM
Robear,

I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.

I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System Optimizer,
Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
nothing.

I re-installed IE-8.

I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.

I should have added that informaiton at first.
> Another hijackware infection, Charles.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Charles W Davis wrote:
>> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
>> installed.
>>
>> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
>> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>> The specified module could not be found..."
>>

>> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
>> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation
>> has
>> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
>> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>>
>> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and
>> same
>> thing occurs.
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.

0
Charles
2/20/2010 9:59:03 PM
Charles W Davis wrote:

> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>
> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System Optimizer,
> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.
>
> I re-installed IE-8.
>
> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>
> I should have added that informaiton at first.

Okay, so you removed some malware.  That doesn't mean everything they
changed also got reset back to some good state.  Malware doesn't do much if
it doesn't have tentacles to reach out into your registry and OS.
Eradicating malware does NOT remove whatever deleterious effects it
produced.

Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
granted permission to the Internet Options applet?

gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel

What are the settings for all the settings under this node?  They should all
be "Not configured" unless you have previously used a policy editor, you
used a security or tweaker program that made changes here, or you installed
malware that made changes here.
0
VanguardLH
> Charles W Davis wrote:
>
>> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>>
>> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System
>> Optimizer,
>> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
>> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>>
>> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
>> nothing.
>>
>> I re-installed IE-8.
>>
>> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>>
>> I should have added that informaiton at first.
>
> Okay, so you removed some malware.  That doesn't mean everything they
> changed also got reset back to some good state.  Malware doesn't do much
> if
> it doesn't have tentacles to reach out into your registry and OS.
> Eradicating malware does NOT remove whatever deleterious effects it
> produced.
>
> Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
> granted permission to the Internet Options applet?
>
> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
> Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel
>
> What are the settings for all the settings under this node?  They should
> all
> be "Not configured" unless you have previously used a policy editor, you
> used a security or tweaker program that made changes here, or you
> installed
> malware that made changes here.
Thanks for the response. When I go to Start>Run and type gpedit.msc I get
the message that the file can't be found...

0
Charles
2/21/2010 12:49:15 AM
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.

Too late now to install MSE (or any other AV app).  See...

Can I install MSE to clean up my already-infected computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275

PS: If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Charles W Davis wrote:
> Robear,
>
> I had scanned with Malwarebytes. Some items were removed.
>
> I uninstalled AVG 8.5, Norton AV, Spyware Doctor, Advanced System
> Optimizer,
> Advanced Registry Cleanup, Checkit Diagnostics, Google Toolbar for IE,
> Google Updater, Yahoo Anti-spyware, MSN.
>
> I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated and ran deep scan -
> nothing.
>
> I re-installed IE-8.
>
> I ran HijackThis and removed 13 items.
>
> I should have added that informaiton at first.
>> Another hijackware infection, Charles.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Charles W Davis wrote:
>>> Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads:
>>> "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>>> The specified module could not be found..."
>>>

>>> Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open
>>> Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation
>>> has
>>> been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
>>> contact your System Admininistrator...."
>>>
>>> I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Administrator, and
>>> same
>>> thing occurs.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts appreciated.

0
PA
2/21/2010 2:19:23 AM
Charles W Davis wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Did you ever check the group policies to determine if your account is
>> granted permission to the Internet Options applet?
>>
>> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
>> Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel
>
> Thanks for the response. When I go to Start>Run and type gpedit.msc I get
> the message that the file can't be found...

Any guess is correct as to WHICH edition of Windows XP that you use.  You
never mentioned which one you use.  The Professional edition has it.  The
Home edition does not.  You could try:

Otherwise, you're off Googling for the registry keys and data items to edit.

Of course, malware can affect pathing search, too, so a file cannot be found
by just its filename.  Did you search on gpedit.msc to see if it is on your
host, like under the C:\Windows\System32 folder?
0
VanguardLH

Missing files

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Corrupt .mny file in Money 2000.
I'm pretty sure my .mny file got corrupted. When I start Money 2000, everything is normal for the first few seconds. I can see my account balances etc. Then I get a message that Windows XP must close Money and there is an error message about 'floating point division by zero'. I've tried every salvage utility I could find and nothing has worked. I've also read thru a ton of threads in this and other groups and have come up dry. I've opened a case with Microsoft, but that hasn't worked either. They just suggest to try the salvage utilities. I do have a ba...

Missing Emails #2
From time to time my users report that so-and-so sent them an email but they never got it. Last night my VP sent 2 emails from home and never got them. 1. We have Exchange 2000 server, all clients are Outlook 2. We have Symantec anti-virus for exchange server now I have checked the following: 1. in the Exchange logs [reading them in Excel] I can see the 2 messages arrive and seem to process normally -- HELO,MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT are the 5 lines in the log; the datum on the HELO record says =+sccrmhc13.comcast.net. the Quit record as cs-uri-query of 240. 2. I have searched through...

Tasks form corrupted: Recurrence field is greyed out
Hi I installed outlook4teams and then uninstalled it. The Recurrenc button on the Outlook 2002 Task form is now grayed out. I have trie uninstalling and re-installing Office XP to no avail. How might I approach fixing this? Thanks and best wishes Ma ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com I also have MS Outlook 2002. I keep getting a message "The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact your administrator." Ages ago, I do...

Missing Folders after Sync

Bin Transfer Entry window missing

hyperlinks corrupted when emailed
I have attempted to use hyperlinks to other Excel files on speadsheets that were later distributed through a network email system. The email system used is GroupWise. The links work on the sheet until it is emailed. I have emailed this to myself and it doesn't work after making the trip so it appears not to be a path or file access issue. The files I am linking to are on a shared network drive Thanks in advance ...

Organizational Forms Library missing
I have one Exchange 2003 server on a Windows 2000 Server. I am trying to install a custom form for IHateSpam. When I open the EForms Registry, I do not have a subfolder called Organizational Forms Library. I have to folders that were created by another admin. Is it possible that he deleted the Organizational Forms Library, and can I recreated it. The folders in the EForms Registry are; Test UM That is all I can see I logged in with a user with only Exchange Admin rights and Domain user rights. ...

inetcpl.cpl missing or corrupted
Computer Club member's Dell Laptop, Win XP SP3 and all updates since are installed. When Internet Explorer closes a little message appears that reads: "...Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl The specified module could not be found..." Since the inetcpl.cpl concerns Internet Options, when I attempt open Internet Options on the browser, I get the message: "...This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Admininistrator...." I then restarted in safe mode, logged on as System Ad...

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Missing Message Text

HI, Please be patient as the story is long: I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000 active Directory. All the clients workstations are Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't have the users logon on to the network to the export/import scenarion again. After the server were re...

Missing Sata Sources
Hi there When I click Data, Get External Data, New Database Query..., there are no data sources listed in the Database list under <New Data Source>. Even the defaults e.g. dBase Files, Microsoft Access Database, Excel Files, etc are not listed. I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2000. How can I fix this? Thanks Michael ...

one corrupt email
Hello all We use Exchange 2k3 standard on win2k3 standard. I have a small inconvenience when I backup. We use Veritas backup exec 10.5 with the exchange option. The backup officialy fails everynight, because of one email. WARNING: "\\<exch server>\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\<John Doe> [John]Top of Information StoreInbox <followed by loads of unreadable ASCII chars> Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: AE559D45713BB54A89F083344511FCA0)" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. Now as far as the backup goes. I know my backup is OK. I can even turn t...

What am I missing?
Have PC. Onlyprofile on it is administrator.Me. What am I missing on System Restore. There are partitions that I do not need,or want, for System restore to monitor. But "Drive Settings" in 'System Properties/System Restore' the choices are greyed out. ie; Turn off System Restore(disable by Group Policy) and Turn off System restore on this drive in Drive Settings. I have checked in services in administratyive tools. Botj System restore and RPC and started and on auto. Maybe one could show me what I'm missing. I'm getting too old to remember this stuff...

RMA ( Credit) Missing Line Items

Missing .dll on opening
Upon opening Outlook 2002 I get a message that I am missing MociExt.dll but I cannot get it to reload during any sort of fix or reinstall of Outlook. Any ideas? This started occuring after a recent update I did to Office. John, I don't believe that's a file installed by Office/Outlook. So, my guess is that you have an Outlook add-in that's causing this problem. Please do the following steps to confirm this assumption: 1. Exit Outlook. 2. Press and hold the CTRL key as you launch Outlook. 3. When prompted to start in Safe mode click Yes. Does the error occur? If not, please...

Windows XP Home Edition Config\System Missing
Hi: My 15 year-old daughter has a Gateway system that is 4 years old, running XP Home. Today she encountered a black screen on start-up that essentially states Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG. We can't find the Operating System CD for Windows XP Home, and my XP Professional OS disc I read cannot be used instead. I have a read a resolution that requires ijnsertion of the OS XP Home disc; boot from CD; Windows set-up initializes and press "R" to repair recovery console; hard drive is examined; pe...

Toolbars Missing, And option to Add Missing
Hi, My Problem is that my normal 'Formatting' toolbar is missing. When I right click on the 'Standard' toolbar to add/view the 'Formatting' the only options i have is: 'Task Pane' & 'Customize'. In 'Customize' the only tool bars listed is the 'Task Pane' & 'Work Sheet Menu Bar' Anyone know how to resolve my Problem... Please Pull-down View > Toolbars There should be about 15 bars listed. if not then select Customize > Toolbars and then push the reset button. -- Gary''s Student "SmeetaG"...

debugging missing images in a CTreeCtrl
Hello, I am having some difficulty trying to debug some missing images in a CTreeCtrl. Essentially, I subclass CDialog and have a CTreeCtrl and CImageList as data members. The CTreeCtrl is supposed to be an expandable tree with each item containing a standard checkbox and a 16x16 solid icon. The problem is that the icons are not showing up at all. I'm wondering where is a good point to start debugging the missing icon images? Things I have verified: 1. The image list is valid and is set as the TVSIL_NORMAL image list for the CTreeCtrl. 2. The bitmaps within the image list are valid (I o...

Missing PB Updates?
Hi, When I check this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/ce/dd430902.aspx for PB 5.0 updates only the July monthly is listed. But I read somewhere else that there was a September update, which I actually found. Is there also an August release for PB 5.0 and is there another place where the updates are listed? Thanks, Jojje I just saw that there is a potential problem with netowrk in the September update. Is this the reason that it is not listed in the updates site. Regards, Jojje On 9 Nov, 10:16, Jojje <jojje.an...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi,...

Transactions before 2004 are missing!
I used Microsoft Money 2000 Deluxe until switching last summer to Money 2004 Standard OEM Edition. I just noticed that transactions before the year 2004 are missing! Holy smokes! What is going on? All of my old accounts are listed, but if I try to view the transactions in an old account, the list is empty. Open accounts which should contain many years worth of data, show only those transactions for the year 2004. (I have not yet entered any for 2005). My old reports are present, but when I view reports for years previous to 2004, they contain no data. Teffy P.S. I originally started wi...

Calling sysdm.cpl from MFC....
Hello once again, Today I am here asking if anyone has ever called SYSDM.cpl from an MFC program. I have written my application to invoke sysdm.cpl from a button inside the About Dialog box. To be honest, I was being lazy and rather than define a bunch of system related fields for a "systems Information" type of display, I thought I could simply pop open the system dialog box. This all works fine one time. When I click the button subsequent times, nothing appears to happen. The click is processed, and the call is executed, but that is all I have seen. Here is the code fragmen...

Missing pictures when converting to pdf
When I convert a file to pdf, some of the pictures in the doc file do not make it into the pdf file. I tried several times. Tried creating a new Word file. Compressed pictures. Help, I have to deliver this document to my customer soon. Make sure that the pictures are embedded and not linked int he word file. Are u linking them?? "Martiart" wrote: > When I convert a file to pdf, some of the pictures in the doc file do not > make it into the pdf file. > I tried several times. Tried creating a new Word file. Compressed pictures. > Help, I have to deliver th...