IE8 installation downgraded me to IE6

I have four identically configured W2K3 Std Edition R2 servers that had a
fully patched IE7 installation.  I downloaded the standard IE8 install
package from Microsoft and ran the installation.  During the install, I
unselected the check box for Install Updates and let it proceed.

On two of the servers, I was prompted with a window telling me that the
UNINSTALL of IE7 was complete, that a REBOOT was required, and that I would
have to manually resume the IE8 setup after the reboot.  I rebooted the
servers and lo and behold I had downgraded to IE6.  Following this I
successfully installed IE8.

My question is, why would I have to downgrade to IE6 first on two of the
four servers that are identically configured?  I've got no fewer than 600
servers to prepare for IE8 deployment and have got to have some sort of idea
what to look for that requires a downgrade prior to the IE8 upgrade.

Thanks in advance

"PcolaITGuy" <PcolaITGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My question is, why would I have to downgrade to IE6 first on two of the
> four servers that are identically configured?  I've got no fewer than 600
> servers to prepare for IE8 deployment and have got to have some sort of
> idea
> what to look for that requires a downgrade prior to the IE8 upgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance

Have you looked in the log(s), especially the one for the uninstall step?
; )

Perhaps you were you using a beta version of IE7 on those machines?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert

Error installing Money 2000
Installing Money 2000 Standard on an XP Home computer (with pretty much all the latest updates, SP's, etc.) Gets all the way to the end and indicates that ACMSETUP.EXE has encountered an error. This occurs just at 100% on the installation progress bar. Trying to install using full admin privileges. Tried copying the entire contents of the CD to a temp directory on the HD and installing from there with same results. Any pearls of wisdom? My wife is tired of balancing the checkbook on our ancient 400 MHz PII computer and would rather use the new computer. As much as I like Money, I'd ...

Vista SP2 I can't install
Is Anyone willing to help me or guide me with installing SP2 and other impportent updates for my Vista Home premium laptop Dell Inspiron 1721 - please. I was trying several times but no cigar so to speak. Marian (that happen to be he) You'll have better luck getting good help if you ask in one of the Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups or forums applicable to Vista. This newsgroup is devoted to Microsoft Access database software, and it would only be coincidence if someone here were expert in the area you are asking about. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP &...

Installation problems #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Hi When i install office on my desktop it installs ok but when i try to open word or excel it comes up with the customer experience program everytime and launches microsoft update i then click "no, i dont want to participate at this time." and then continue, then the get started window appears and i click finish but nothing happens, then if i try to open word or excel again it does the same thing again and it doesnt ask for the product key at any time. But when i installed office on my macbook it works fine,...

CDOEXM Installation
What is the easiest method for installing the Exchange CDO Com classes? I am writing a simple VBScript to add an Exchange 2003 mailbox to a newly created account and I don't really want to install the Exchange Admin tools on the Account Operators desktop. Any suggestions? ...

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

uninstalling ms office 2010 which was installed through power iso
hai; i have downloaded a crappy ms office mondo 2010 from lan and installed it.also there were some installation errors. i am not able to use ppt/word.... hence when i tried to unistall it ,through control pannel, it is saying "corrupted,insert original dvd/cd ". but i have installed it by poweriso. now i want to remove that msoffice and get some office07. so what should i do now to uninstall it. i have tried many times,every time it says "this product installation has been corrupted.insert original dvd/cd......." please help me.BTW, my os is vista home - - ...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

What to do if you installed Security Update that was pulled
Info posted by Microsoft Security Response Center: Customers who downloaded the pre-release security update for Office for Mac on Tuesday should install this new update when it is released. This new update will remove the pre-release version and install the fully tested application fixes; we suggest that all Office for Mac users download the new update. More info here: <http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/12/15/update-on-accidental-posti ng-of-pre-release-security-updates-for-office-for-mac.aspx> If you really want to uninstall the patch, here's what you need to do: ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

Installation errors
Hi, as many of you, I have been having an awful time to install the new msn after an uptdate was required. I have tried everything suggested in previous threads, but nothing seems to work. I get two error messages everytime I try (I have Vista). 1) Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime aborted:0x80004004 2) Windows Live Call hr:0x800b0109 May anybody please help me? Thanks > Hi, as many of you, I have been having an awful time to install the new > msn > after an uptdate was required. I have tried everything suggested in > previous > threads, but nothing...

Installing CRM3, multiple errors
I have installed CRM3 on a clean SBS2003 machine (under VirtualPC), but have got a series of errors and cannot now acess CRM at all. I followed the steps in the Implmentation Guide. I had to change the web site port to be 80 and the alias to be able to access it (as crm3demo). I installed CRM3 under Administrator login and was initially able to open CRM correctly, login as Administrator, go into the Administrator user and uncheck the restricted access check box. Everything appeared normal. Then I set up the sample data users in Active Directory and tried installing the sample data by ...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...

install on OS X on Dual G5
Just bought upgrade and installed Office 2004. When I try to start anything (excluding Entourage) it gives me the following message: Microsoft Word has encounterd a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, I can't get anything to open not even once. I can't take it back to the store because it is open. I am just out of $250 bucks. How do I get this to work? Brian Powers In article <a6372e44.0408301808.baaac8e@posting.google.com>, brianepowers@hotmail.com (Brian Powers) wrote: > Just bought upgrade and installed Office 2004. > When I try to st...

Update Outlook 2002 without Office installed
I purchased an HP PPC 2003 that included Outlook 2002 (SP-1) on the CD. How do I upgrade Outlook 2002 to SP-2 without having Office XP installed? Searching the websites, all updates to Outlook 2002 seem to all point to Office XP. I don't have Office XP. >-----Original Message----- >I purchased an HP PPC 2003 that included Outlook 2002 (SP- 1) on the CD. How >do I upgrade Outlook 2002 to SP-2 without having Office XP installed? >Searching the websites, all updates to Outlook 2002 seem to all point to >Office XP. I don't have Office XP. > > >. >I wouldn&#...

Install that corrective update
--iwxfadfhdstk Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="cscjovbpggihzf"; type="multipart/alternative" --cscjovbpggihzf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="vnwpaomimyxp" --vnwpaomimyxp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to pro...

IE8 -can IE8 open new tab when click on hyperlink
Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. In order to get a new tab I click control-hyperlink. I want to skip the control step. Thank you. Roxy Roxy wrote: > Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If > you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you > are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. > > In o...

Looking for a full version of Office 2001 so I can install my 2004 update
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I just installed Office 2004, but it's asking me to install the earlier 2001 version, of which my Mac didn't come with it. Where can I get a full version of office 2001? Well, if Office 2004 is asking for an earlier version on install, then you bought a discounted Upgrade Version instead of the Standard Retail version. If you are entitled to an upgrade version, then you should have CDs for Office 98, Office 2001, or Office X sitting around somewhere. Do a drag-and-drop install, then point the setup assistant...

CRM 4.0 Installation #2
When I start the 4.0 installation Visual C++ runtime is required. I installed but later aborted the installation. When I restarted the installation I continue to getting a message that Visual C++ needs to be installed. I rebooted the server and started over but I continue to get the Visual C++ is required message. Thoughts? Hi Coco, You will have to install Visual C++ runtime everytime you run the setup. Even after installing the server when you try to setup outlook client even then it will check for Visual C++ and start installing it automatically. "Coco" wrote: > Whe...

installing add-in analysis toolpak
I need to use the data analysis in Excel. I cannot install it, due to windows installer error 1635. I don't have the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\ DFAD2CEE8555CA04E8C905508C8F018E so it is not that. What else can it be ? Thanks. Janiv Ratson. hmm? from controlpanel add/remove programs select Microsoft Office click change add/remove features click next in office 2003 you need to check Advanced customization of application open the tree for Excel goto Addins select Analysis Toolpak select Run From My Computer click Update. -- keepITcool | www...

Explorer opens Microsoft Money 2002 installation
When I do just about anything on my computer (WinXP), it attempts to install MS Money 2002. It says to insert the CD. Just opening 'My Computer', or anything explorer related will result with "Please Insert the Money 2002 CD". I dont have the CD. MS Money is installed, I think it came with the computer. If I try to uninstall Money, it says to insert the CD. Ive looked at the CD bundle that came with the computer, but cannot find Money Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave If Money came with the machine, you might need to contact your supplier an...

IE8
I downloaded IE8 onto my laptop and it worked fine for awhile but now I'm unable to bring up the browser at all, and consequently cannot get online - even though I'm connected. The laptop is a Inspiron XPS Gen 2 running XP Pro and is tapping the net through wireless. I had just recently downloaded SP3 and KBxxxxxx updates. After that I was unable to bring up the expolrer. I thought maybe if I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, it might fix it. When I went to uninstall IE8 there wasn't a remove button in the Add/Remove for it. Has anyone run across this kind of...

installing updates
Hello I've just installed some MS Vista updates which had downloaded in the background. I made the mistake of installing them whilst I went to get a cup of coffee, they normally take 10 minutes or so to install. But it took over an hour to install them. There were 8 updates, the 1st took about 55 minutes, the rest installed much more quickly. The updates have installed ok. I know I should have waited until the end of the day, and allowed them to install when I'd finished work. Instead I lost an hour of my work time. I agree it was my mistake. My question, ..... Is...