IE8 installation downgraded me to IE6

  • Follow

I have four identically configured W2K3 Std Edition R2 servers that had a
fully patched IE7 installation.  I downloaded the standard IE8 install
package from Microsoft and ran the installation.  During the install, I
unselected the check box for Install Updates and let it proceed.

On two of the servers, I was prompted with a window telling me that the
UNINSTALL of IE7 was complete, that a REBOOT was required, and that I would
have to manually resume the IE8 setup after the reboot.  I rebooted the
servers and lo and behold I had downgraded to IE6.  Following this I
successfully installed IE8.

My question is, why would I have to downgrade to IE6 first on two of the
four servers that are identically configured?  I've got no fewer than 600
servers to prepare for IE8 deployment and have got to have some sort of idea
what to look for that requires a downgrade prior to the IE8 upgrade.

Thanks in advance
0
Reply Utf 4/1/2010 2:31:02 PM

"PcolaITGuy" <PcolaITGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My question is, why would I have to downgrade to IE6 first on two of the
> four servers that are identically configured?  I've got no fewer than 600
> servers to prepare for IE8 deployment and have got to have some sort of
> idea
> what to look for that requires a downgrade prior to the IE8 upgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance

Have you looked in the log(s), especially the one for the uninstall step?
; )

Perhaps you were you using a beta version of IE7 on those machines?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0