cannot add search provider in IE8

  • Follow

I am trying to add a search provider in IE8 but am unable to.  I click on
find more providers and then go to a page that has a bunch of search
providers (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/searchproviders) but when I click the
"Add to Internet Explorer" button beside a search option nothing happens.  I
know a box is supposed to pop up asking me if I want to add the search
provider and make it my default but no such box pops up.  Why would that be?
0
Reply Utf 1/7/2010 4:28:02 PM

Hi,
1. You don't mention an error message, but see:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/79/1/Error-Internet-Explorer-could-not-install-this-search-provider-when-adding-a-Search-provider.html
With Vista or Windows 7, you should run that command from an elevated
command prompt.
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/158/1/How-to-open-an-elevated-Command-Prompt-in-Windows-Vista.html

2. From Internet Options> Security, select the Internet zone and click the
Default Level button.

3. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on
the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no
add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer´┐Żs (No Add-ons) Mode:

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e85a03aa-c7c6-428e-9891-67ea76df9b7e1033.mspx

4. With the warning that a reset will delete AutoComplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, use
the Reset IE Settings button in Internet Options> Advanced.

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/81fe3b46-2460-459e-b826-8f134a7fe1771033.mspx

5. A third-part security program may be causing the problem. What
third-party security suite or antivirus program is installed?
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"biff" <biff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a search provider in IE8 but am unable to.  I click on
> find more providers and then go to a page that has a bunch of search
> providers (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/searchproviders) but when I click
the
> "Add to Internet Explorer" button beside a search option nothing happens.
> know a box is supposed to pop up asking me if I want to add the search
> provider and make it my default but no such box pops up.  Why would that
be?

0
Reply Don 1/9/2010 11:55:35 AM

(page loaded in 0.037 seconds)