cannot add search provider in IE8

I am trying to add a search provider in IE8 but am unable to.  I click on
find more providers and then go to a page that has a bunch of search
providers (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/searchproviders) but when I click the
"Add to Internet Explorer" button beside a search option nothing happens.  I
know a box is supposed to pop up asking me if I want to add the search
provider and make it my default but no such box pops up.  Why would that be?

Hi,
1. You don't mention an error message, but see:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/79/1/Error-Internet-Explorer-could-not-install-this-search-provider-when-adding-a-Search-provider.html
With Vista or Windows 7, you should run that command from an elevated
command prompt.
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/158/1/How-to-open-an-elevated-Command-Prompt-in-Windows-Vista.html

2. From Internet Options> Security, select the Internet zone and click the
Default Level button.

3. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on
the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no
add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer�s (No Add-ons) Mode:

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e85a03aa-c7c6-428e-9891-67ea76df9b7e1033.mspx

4. With the warning that a reset will delete AutoComplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, use
the Reset IE Settings button in Internet Options> Advanced.

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/81fe3b46-2460-459e-b826-8f134a7fe1771033.mspx

5. A third-part security program may be causing the problem. What
third-party security suite or antivirus program is installed?
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"biff" <biff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to add a search provider in IE8 but am unable to.  I click on
> find more providers and then go to a page that has a bunch of search
> providers (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/searchproviders) but when I click
the
> "Add to Internet Explorer" button beside a search option nothing happens.
> know a box is supposed to pop up asking me if I want to add the search
> provider and make it my default but no such box pops up.  Why would that
be?

0
Don

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Excel Add Ins

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Algorithm for what appears in addressbar drop down in IE8?
OK.. IE6 seemed moderately predictable, IE7 a little less, but still slightly sensible, but WTF is up with IE8? I can't figure what possible criteria it could be using to populate the drop down. Some items that I frequently type in never show up, and some that I type just once jump right in. Any ideas on how to get some addresses you use frequently to show up in the drop down? Windows Search! >WT< "+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message news:aam2q5ps2hsi6oqankrcgnpkvt7jipdbt6@4ax.com... > OK.. IE6 seemed moderately predictable, IE7 a ...

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

add a DC in a LegSite

Additonal Smartlist Search
I have a client who is on GP8 and only has SmartList (not SmartList Builder). Is there any way to increase the search criteria to be more than 4 fields? Or change the Filters to include a "IS NOT ONE OF" -- Tammy Chavez No, there's not. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Tammy Chavez" wrote: > I have a client who is on GP8 and only has SmartList (not SmartList Builder). > Is there any way to increase the search criteria to be more than 4 fields? > Or change the Filters to include a "IS NOT ONE OF" > -- > Tammy Chavez Charles is right with t...

excel add-ons

Creating a search button/macro..google style..
Hallo guys, I have a set of raw data to work with: I'd like to know any functions/macros to buld some sort of 'searc engine' that coud direct me to the data.. e.g. sheet 1 raw data: a b c d 1 a1 b1 c1 d1 2 a2 b2 c2 d2 3 ... ... ... ... 4 ... ... ... ... sheet 2 search: search box/button/etc search:_a1__________ enter result: a 1 *a1* I hope you understand what I need, is not a very simple task.. -- nixis0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- nixis00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&a...

Map Add-On?

Instant Search Pane Problem in Office 2007 Outlook
User on XP SP3 Recently updated user from Office 2003 to Office 2007. Once inside Outlook 2007, the User tries to do a Search of email from a certain user using the "Instant Search Pane" window and only receives Email from two days ago, nothing in the past, which indeed there is email from this "User" she is looking for. Tried REMOVING the Outlook Profile and creating it again and this did not work. Next Step was to Rename the Windows Profile Reboot device and Rebuild it again and this did not work. Had 3 different people log onto this system and the "Instant ...

Add ContractLine Entity in Menu
Hi, Is it possible to add a shortcut in the Service Menu to the ContractLine Entity? I really appreciate if someone could help. Regards, Alcides ...

Problem- add-in Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publis
I have a problem with Outlook 2007 and the add-in Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing. This add-in worked when I first installed Outlook 2007 when installing Office 2007 Enterprise. The add-in created a sub-folder in my Inbox named Data Collection Replies and worked well until about 6 weeks ago. Now I can’t get the add-in to work at all even though it appears in the list of COM.adds in Outlook 2007. More perplexing is the error message I now receive EVERY time I click on any email message to read it. The message is titled ‘Custom UI Runtime Error in...

Add target to trend chart
I've created a chart trending our company's daily rank over time. We have a specific rank as a target goal, and I'd like that to appear as a flat line on the chart, so we know how far we have to go. How can I get such a line, without having to populate a new column with the same number? Thanks Two options, 1) Simply draw a line where your target is at using the drawing toolbar. 2) Add an additional series to your chart containing two points. The X value of the points indicates the length of your line. The Y values should be set to your target. "Patience" <...

Can I add other data to a pivot chart
I want to add a target line to a pivot chart. The data for the target line would be from a different source (worksheet) to the underlying pivot table. Is this possible (by workaround or otherwise)? A pivot chart can only display data from the pivot table. This can be overcome by drawing a line and hoping it doesn't move too much. I would instead make a regular chart from the pivot table, and add the data for the additional line. To make a regular chart from a pivot table, select a blank cell that's not touching the pivot table and start the chart wizard. In step 2, you must use...

How To Add Filters To Add Ins List ???
I am using Power Point 2003 with XP Pro OS. I have install the conversion to read office 2007. When I use the Add In, it only shows 2003 power point extension .ppt How do I add the ability to show 2007 power point files too ??? Can someone tell me what I need to do to add the ability to see 2007 power point files??? I is very knowledgeable on VBA. Thank You, Gary You have to have all the Windows updates as of the time the Compatibility Pack was released. That was around October 2008, so you should have those. :-) That said, my Office 2003 installation on Windows...

searching directories for a workbook
I am getting close to having completed a program (shell) which processe new employee information into several formats and manages an operation personnel functions. The questions I am faced with are; This is not a networked operation, the program will be installed o each ops manager comp. which means that the worksheet names wil always be the same ( I can control that) but the program itself will b in various directories. I am searching for a way to have the followin take place from a VB 6 shell. Is there a way to search through a computers drives (regardless o their designation) and find,...