AP Batch Not Posting Through to GL

  • Follow

We are using GP v8.0 and our Purchasing Posting setup is to use batches and
Post Through to the GL.  I just noticed a batch posted today sitting in the
Financial Batches (a PMTRX batch).  This should have posted through to the
GL.  I have checked the transactions and all look ok.  All have proper GL
account distributions and all are in balance.  The Fiscal Period is open for
both Purchasing and Financial and the Posting settings all seem fine. (Post
through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like that)
Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting ?  I
can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's processing
of this batch ??

The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this batch
using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or Print
a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or something
???????
0
Reply clyde (33) 9/11/2008 4:16:02 PM

Hey Clyde

Have you tried to re-post the batch? Any error messages?

it almost sounds like the user hit the save button instead of the post
button.I know, i know they swear they posted it.

I believe the smartlist also looks at the open transactions (In a batch not
posted.)

Cheers

Fliehigh

"Clyde" wrote:

> We are using GP v8.0 and our Purchasing Posting setup is to use batches and
> Post Through to the GL.  I just noticed a batch posted today sitting in the
> Financial Batches (a PMTRX batch).  This should have posted through to the
> GL.  I have checked the transactions and all look ok.  All have proper GL
> account distributions and all are in balance.  The Fiscal Period is open for
> both Purchasing and Financial and the Posting settings all seem fine. (Post
> through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like that)
> Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting ?  I
> can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's processing
> of this batch ??
>
> The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this batch
> using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
> Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or Print
> a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
> Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or something
> ???????
0
Reply Fliehigh (443) 9/11/2008 5:30:05 PM

Clyde,

The Account Transactions SmartList will show anything posted or unposted,
but the inquires and reports will only show posted transactions.  You've
already verified that they are not posted, since you can see the batch as
unposted, but as a double check, you can bring in a column called Document
Status - unposted will say 'Work'.

As to why the batch didn't post through....here are the reasons I can think
of:

1. Only things that are posted to the subledger as individual transactions
(not in a batch) will not post through, but I believe you said these were in
a purchasing batch.

2. There is an issue that might not be evident from looking at the
transactions.  Have you printed a batch edit list to verify that these will,
indeed, post with no errors?

3. When posting settings are changed after a batch is created, sometimes
that screws things up.  Not sure if your settings were changed recently?
This is usually a tough one to pin down.

4. Security.  The person posting the purchasing batch may not have had
appropriate permissions to post GL batches.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Clyde" <Clyde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are using GP v8.0 and our Purchasing Posting setup is to use batches
> and
> Post Through to the GL.  I just noticed a batch posted today sitting in
> the
> Financial Batches (a PMTRX batch).  This should have posted through to the
> GL.  I have checked the transactions and all look ok.  All have proper GL
> account distributions and all are in balance.  The Fiscal Period is open
> for
> both Purchasing and Financial and the Posting settings all seem fine.
> (Post
> through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like that)
> Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting ?
> can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's
> processing
> of this batch ??
>
> The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this batch
> using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
> Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or
> Print
> a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
> Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or
> something
> ???????

0
Reply victoria (3334) 9/11/2008 5:33:26 PM

Thanks for the response.

I have now re-posted the batch and there were no errors.

The user did not save instead of posting.  It was a payables transaction
batch so if they saved the batch would still be in AP but the batch was in
Financial/GL so they had to have posted it for it to get that far.  And as
mentioned there were no errors when I posted from Financial so I still don't
know why it didn't post through properly from AP ??

"Fliehigh" wrote:

> Hey Clyde
>
> Have you tried to re-post the batch? Any error messages?
>
> it almost sounds like the user hit the save button instead of the post
> button.I know, i know they swear they posted it.
>
> I believe the smartlist also looks at the open transactions (In a batch not
> posted.)
>
> Cheers
>
> Fliehigh
>
> "Clyde" wrote:
>
> > We are using GP v8.0 and our Purchasing Posting setup is to use batches and
> > Post Through to the GL.  I just noticed a batch posted today sitting in the
> > Financial Batches (a PMTRX batch).  This should have posted through to the
> > GL.  I have checked the transactions and all look ok.  All have proper GL
> > account distributions and all are in balance.  The Fiscal Period is open for
> > both Purchasing and Financial and the Posting settings all seem fine. (Post
> > through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like that)
> > Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting ?  I
> > can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's processing
> > of this batch ??
> >
> > The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this batch
> > using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
> > Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or Print
> > a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
> > Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or something
> > ???????
0
Reply clyde (33) 9/11/2008 11:08:07 PM

Victoria,

Thanks for your reply.  I do not contribute too often to the forum but read
it when I have time and I always read any posts that you make because you
clearly know what you are talking about.  Your [MVP] designation is well
deserved !

Still don't know why the batch didn't post but I have now posted from
Financial and everything appears ok.  The batch edit list had no errors and
as I just said it posted fine.

Also , I am sure that nothing has changed with the Posting Settings and or
Security for the user who tried to post the A/P batch.  We only have 2 users
(Myself and the person who posted the batch)  I am the only one who would do
anything with security and Posting settings.

Anyway , thanks again for your comments and keep up the good work.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Clyde,
>
> The Account Transactions SmartList will show anything posted or unposted,
> but the inquires and reports will only show posted transactions.  You've
> already verified that they are not posted, since you can see the batch as
> unposted, but as a double check, you can bring in a column called Document
> Status - unposted will say 'Work'.
>
> As to why the batch didn't post through....here are the reasons I can think
> of:
>
> 1. Only things that are posted to the subledger as individual transactions
> (not in a batch) will not post through, but I believe you said these were in
> a purchasing batch.
>
> 2. There is an issue that might not be evident from looking at the
> transactions.  Have you printed a batch edit list to verify that these will,
> indeed, post with no errors?
>
> 3. When posting settings are changed after a batch is created, sometimes
> that screws things up.  Not sure if your settings were changed recently?
> This is usually a tough one to pin down.
>
> 4. Security.  The person posting the purchasing batch may not have had
> appropriate permissions to post GL batches.
>

> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
>

> "Clyde" <Clyde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are using GP v8.0 and our Purchasing Posting setup is to use batches
> > and
> > Post Through to the GL.  I just noticed a batch posted today sitting in
> > the
> > Financial Batches (a PMTRX batch).  This should have posted through to the
> > GL.  I have checked the transactions and all look ok.  All have proper GL
> > account distributions and all are in balance.  The Fiscal Period is open
> > for
> > both Purchasing and Financial and the Posting settings all seem fine.
> > (Post
> > through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like that)
> > Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting ?
> > can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's
> > processing
> > of this batch ??
> >
> > The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this batch
> > using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
> > Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or
> > Print
> > a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
> > Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or
> > something
> > ???????

0
Reply clyde (33) 9/11/2008 11:20:02 PM

Clyde,

Thank you very much!  Your post just made my week!

--

> [...]
>> > (Post
>> > through to GL and we do not require batch approvals or anything like
>> > that)
>> > Also the person posting the batch did not notice any issue when posting
>> > ?
>> > can only think that something must have happened to interrupt GP's
>> > processing
>> > of this batch ??
>> >
>> > The other thing we noticed is that if we query a transaction in this
>> > batch
>> > using Smartlist and use Account Transactions and search on TRX Date or
>> > Journal Entry Number the items do show up but if we do a GL Inquiry or
>> > Print
>> > a GL Detailed ATB for the account the transaction is not there.  Does
>> > Smartlist "Account Transaction" query draw from some other table or

0
Reply victoria (3334) 9/12/2008 11:27:15 AM

(page loaded in 0.111 seconds)

Reply: