Why is xlsx version slow to open

  • Follow

Using Excel 2007 if I open a 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
about 1 second. If I open a (converted) xlsx version of the same file
it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
thought 2007 files were supposed to be smaller than 2003 files?

Any idea as to why this might be?

Thanks,
JPierce
0
Reply JPierce 11/24/2009 5:31:32 AM

xlsb files are usually faster to open than xlsx files.

(XLSX files are compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
like the old .xls)

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"JPierce" <pierceway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Using Excel 2007 if I open a 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> about 1 second. If I open a (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> thought 2007 files were supposed to be smaller than 2003 files?
>
> Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> Thanks,
> JPierce

0
Reply Charles 11/24/2009 8:42:40 AM

On Nov 24, 12:42=A0am, "Charles Williams" <Char...@DecisionModels.com>
wrote:
> xlsbfilesare usually faster toopenthan xlsxfiles.
>
> (XLSXfilesare compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
> like the old .xls)
>
> Charles
> ___________________________________
> The Excel Calculation Sitehttp://www.decisionmodels.com
>
> "JPierce" <pierce...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Using Excel2007if Iopena 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> > about 1 second. If Iopena (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> > it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> > thought2007fileswere supposed to be smaller than 2003files?
>
> > Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> > Thanks,
> > JPierce- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I converted the file to binary and it reduced the siize by
1/2 (36.5 Mb to 16.5 Mb) but it sill takes about 4 seconds to load
compared to only about 1 to 2 seconds for the 39 Mb 97-2003 version.

Are their setting that might impact this? I guess I will have to
figure out what format to work in based on the file size and
application. I was under the impression that the normal format for
2007 was xlsx? If that correct?

Thanks,
0
Reply JPierce 11/24/2009 5:27:02 PM

presumably the file has been calculated by XL2007 before saving so that you
are avoiding the calculate on open.

You could try setting workbook.forceFullCalculate to True (do this in the
VBE, select the workbook in project explorer, press F4 to get Properties
....)
This will avoid rebuilding the dependency tree at open, but will probably
seriously slow down your recalculations.

Also update Excel 2007 to SP2 if you have not already done so (contains some
performance improvements)

Charles
___________________________________

On Nov 24, 12:42 am, "Charles Williams" <Char...@DecisionModels.com>
wrote:
> xlsbfilesare usually faster toopenthan xlsxfiles.
>
> (XLSXfilesare compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
> like the old .xls)
>
> Charles
> ___________________________________
> The Excel Calculation Sitehttp://www.decisionmodels.com
>
> "JPierce" <pierce...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Using Excel2007if Iopena 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> > about 1 second. If Iopena (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> > it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> > thought2007fileswere supposed to be smaller than 2003files?
>
> > Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> > Thanks,
> > JPierce- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I converted the file to binary and it reduced the siize by
1/2 (36.5 Mb to 16.5 Mb) but it sill takes about 4 seconds to load
compared to only about 1 to 2 seconds for the 39 Mb 97-2003 version.

Are their setting that might impact this? I guess I will have to
figure out what format to work in based on the file size and
application. I was under the impression that the normal format for
2007 was xlsx? If that correct?

Thanks,

0
Reply Charles 11/24/2009 6:09:56 PM