Why is xlsx version slow to open

Using Excel 2007 if I open a 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
about 1 second. If I open a (converted) xlsx version of the same file
it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
thought 2007 files were supposed to be smaller than 2003 files?

Any idea as to why this might be?

Thanks,
JPierce
0
JPierce
11/24/2009 5:31:32 AM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

xlsb files are usually faster to open than xlsx files.

(XLSX files are compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
like the old .xls)

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"JPierce" <pierceway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Using Excel 2007 if I open a 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> about 1 second. If I open a (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> thought 2007 files were supposed to be smaller than 2003 files?
>
> Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> Thanks,
> JPierce

0
Charles
11/24/2009 8:42:40 AM
On Nov 24, 12:42=A0am, "Charles Williams" <Char...@DecisionModels.com>
wrote:
> xlsbfilesare usually faster toopenthan xlsxfiles.
>
> (XLSXfilesare compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
> like the old .xls)
>
> Charles
> ___________________________________
> The Excel Calculation Sitehttp://www.decisionmodels.com
>
> "JPierce" <pierce...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Using Excel2007if Iopena 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> > about 1 second. If Iopena (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> > it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> > thought2007fileswere supposed to be smaller than 2003files?
>
> > Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> > Thanks,
> > JPierce- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I converted the file to binary and it reduced the siize by
1/2 (36.5 Mb to 16.5 Mb) but it sill takes about 4 seconds to load
compared to only about 1 to 2 seconds for the 39 Mb 97-2003 version.

Are their setting that might impact this? I guess I will have to
figure out what format to work in based on the file size and
application. I was under the impression that the normal format for
2007 was xlsx? If that correct?

Thanks,
0
JPierce
11/24/2009 5:27:02 PM
presumably the file has been calculated by XL2007 before saving so that you
are avoiding the calculate on open.

You could try setting workbook.forceFullCalculate to True (do this in the
VBE, select the workbook in project explorer, press F4 to get Properties
....)
This will avoid rebuilding the dependency tree at open, but will probably
seriously slow down your recalculations.

Also update Excel 2007 to SP2 if you have not already done so (contains some
performance improvements)

Charles
___________________________________

On Nov 24, 12:42 am, "Charles Williams" <Char...@DecisionModels.com>
wrote:
> xlsbfilesare usually faster toopenthan xlsxfiles.
>
> (XLSXfilesare compressed XML, XLSB are compressed binary which is more
> like the old .xls)
>
> Charles
> ___________________________________
> The Excel Calculation Sitehttp://www.decisionmodels.com
>
> "JPierce" <pierce...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Using Excel2007if Iopena 97-2003 verison of a file it loads in
> > about 1 second. If Iopena (converted) xlsx version of the same file
> > it takes about 5 seconds. Also it is larger than the orignal. I
> > thought2007fileswere supposed to be smaller than 2003files?
>
> > Any idea as to why this might be?
>
> > Thanks,
> > JPierce- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. I converted the file to binary and it reduced the siize by
1/2 (36.5 Mb to 16.5 Mb) but it sill takes about 4 seconds to load
compared to only about 1 to 2 seconds for the 39 Mb 97-2003 version.

Are their setting that might impact this? I guess I will have to
figure out what format to work in based on the file size and
application. I was under the impression that the normal format for
2007 was xlsx? If that correct?

Thanks,

0
Charles

excel 97 opening excel 2003
Hi, Is it possible to open with Excel 97 an Excel 2003 file which include a choice list ? Great thanks It should be--but it kind of depends on what you mean by a "choice list." If you mean Data|Validation or a dropdown from the Forms toolbar or a combobox from the Control toolbox toolbar, then yes, it should work ok. Gerard Marin wrote: > > Hi, > > Is it possible to open with Excel 97 an Excel 2003 file which > include a choice list ? > > Great thanks -- Dave Peterson Thanks for your reply. Into Excel 2003 : It is simply "right clic" on...

Windows Slow to Open in Great Plains 8.0
We are running GP 8.0 SP3, and are experiencing a delay in opening certain windows, on certain workstations. If you select a window, such as Item Maintenance, Great Plains goes into it's not responding mode, and the cpu utilization for Dynamics spikes to 99% until the window opens. The odd thing is that if you open another window while the first window is still open, it opens fine. There is only a problem when you are opening the first window within the application. I have tried reinstalling GP, but the only thing I have found to fix the problem so far is a fresh install of the ...

unable to open attachments in public folders
If I try to open an attached file from a public folder I get an error saying It cannot write and to check my perssions, I have owner rights to the public folder that the I am having problems with. I can make new posting with attachment and can view them fine, in the same folder. but I have serveral posting's that I cannot get to with the same problem as above. Exchange 2003, same problem OWA or local outlook 2002 client. I have seen this before, and the quickest solution was to delete the item and re-add it to the folder. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:46:02 -0700, "rich_coast&quo...

Purchasing Excel for a PC to share files with Mac version 2008?
Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between that and a Mac using Excel 2008? This site may help with your decision: http://mac-advisor.com/pages/MSoffice_file_format.html "vivreexcel" wrote: > Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between > that and a Mac using Excel 2008? vivreexcel - Mac Excel 2008 can read and write XLS and XLSX files, so either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 is fine. Mac Excel 2008 does not support VBA, so XLA and XLSM are off limits. For a more Mac-centric set of opinions, p...

How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box?
How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? and How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top of the list is visible. Bart Excell 2003 Is your combobox in a userform or on a worksheet? AA Arens wrote: > How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? > and > How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top > of the list is visible. > > Bart > Excell 2003 On a worksheet. With data from another sheet. The combo is set via Menu > Data > Validation > List. Bart jkend69315@aol.com w...

Subform opens blank
When I first open my form, the subform has the correct number of records in it, but the records (consisting of a combo box and a couple of text boxes) are blank. There are the correct number of records there, but they're all blank. If I go forward one record in the main form and then back one record in the main form, the blank records are populated with the correct data. I have tried putting a refresh in the load event of the main form. Any other ideas? Thanks, JH ...

outlook 2007 will not open after upgrading to windows 2007
Cannot open Outlook 2007n after upgrading from Vista to Windows 2007, says cannot open files. Can you be a little more specific about what EXACTLY the error message says? Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#safe Have you tried starting Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch? See if this helps - http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#cls -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.off...

Open in Personal Folder
Outlook 2007 opens with the Inbox screen. I would prefer Outlook to open with the Personal Folders screen, but I can't find this in the Options. How can I change the opening screen? Same as all other versions: Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Startup in this folder -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Don B." <deebee@jhu.edu> wrote in message news:AD2918B3-3DE7-4F0D-8215-58C169635F6E@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2007 opens with the Inbox screen. I would prefer Outlook to open > with the Personal Folders screen, but I can't find this in t...

CRM Version 2.0
I see several features that I'm looking for are planned for version 2.0. Can anyone tell me when this version is due to be released? ETA Q1 2005 Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. San Francisco, CA >> Other Microsoft CRM Online Forum Resources: http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >-----Original Message----- >I see several features that I'm looking for are planned >for version 2.0. Can anyone tell me when this version is >due to be released? >. > Latest "hope for" date is Q2 2005, however that is not a set date... John. "Terri" <anonymo...

MSPUB2 1991-1993 version
Hi all' I need to know. Would I be able to access and use my saved files from old version(1991-1993 mspub2)if i upgrades to current MSpub or will they be lost due to lack of upgrading thru-out the years. My 3.5 floppy has a damaged or lost file now and I cannot reload. Can I backup the program files off of my computer to make myself new backup copy? Thanks After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Karingee <KGee@ixpres.com>... > Would I be able to access and use my saved files from old > version(1991-1993 mspub2)if i upgrades to cu...

HTo set Outlook to open w
How can I setup outlook to open to the my current calendar when I open it each day? kelandjr@yahoo.com tools, options, other, advanced options - select the calendar folder from the list at the top of the page. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ Vo...

version problem
Hello, I have an excel spreadsheet that was originally created in 97. After this I upgraded to Office 2000 and had no problems viewing the file. Now I have upgraded to 2003 and run into the following error when I try to open the file: "This file was created by a newer version of Microsoft Excel and a converted is needed to open it. Do you want to download the converter from the Microsoft Office Web site?" 1) I'm using the latest version so why does it think the file was created by a "newer version"? 2) I downloaded the converter but it still won't...

Slow check box
HI all, Have a prob. I have multiple check boxes on my sheet but, they tak approx 2 seconds to select when 'clicked'. I know it still runs but have others similar that run instantaneously. Any ideas???? Cheers!! -- gavme ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gavmer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=666 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32029 ...

Avoid creation of new folders in my document when I open outlook?
Hi, each times I open Outlook, new folders are cretaed in my documents and each times I attach files to an email, Outlook creats new folders in the file where the attach file was. How can I avoid this? is this a dell laptop with media direct? if so, uninstall the outlook setup add-in. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outl...

05 Trial Version?
Is there a Trial Version of Money 2005 yet? (Preferably Standard.) If not, do we have nay idea when it might come down? It won't be very far off. Once they have got the product in the stores and the order web site fixed (ability to buy & download is next Monday) then we should see a trial - say 1st Oct but I don't know just playing a hunch. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes h...

Can't open an URL link from OutLook Express
When I click on a link from Outlook Express I was able to go right into the Internet Explorer automatically. Now when I click on any link nothing happens. I have to copy the URL manually and have to open Internet Explorer and then I can go to the link. Is anyone experiencing this problem? What can I do to fix this problem? Open a command prompt and navigate to the C:\winnt\system32 directory (or c:\windows\system32, whichever is applicable on your pc). Then at the command prompt type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll and hit the enter key. Your links should work now. >-----Original Mess...

How do I shrink an xlsx file after cutting a big data worksheet?
I deleted an Excel 2007 worksheet that contained lots of data (approx. 40% of initial spreadsheet size). It resaved to the disk at its previous disk size. What do you do to save the file in its new, smaller size, i.e. compress it? I'm new to Excel 2007, previously using Excel XP, so I figure there is some option to check/uncheck to make this work. I just haven't found it yet. Thanks for the pointers. If you deleted a worksheet itself the file size will be smaller. If you simply cut or cleared the contents of a worksheet then Excel thinks those cleared cells are still bein...

Error message when i open a link in Outlook
Whenever i try to open a web link in outlook (2003) i get the following message "this opertaion has been cancelled due to restictions in effect on this computer" Please contact your system administrator" If anyone have every seen this please let me know a resolution thank you http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm "Brownie" <Brownie @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D1A77A1-064C-4EA2-934C-DA3B0EA72775@microsoft.com... > Whenever i try to open a web link in outlook (2003) i get the following > message > &qu...

Excel opening multiple files by itself HELP please
Suddenly Escel 2003 has decided to open jpg doc etc etc files by itself when excel is launched repaired uninstalled and reinstalled stilll same problem Calibra ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Calibra Excel will try to open any files it finds in either the XLSTART folder or "Alternate startup file location" or "at startup, open files in". This could be the source of your problem. First thing I would try is to start Excel in Safe Mode so you bypass an...

Latest version
What is the latest version of Money in the UK? M2005. "coxwall" <coxwall@aol.com> wrote in message news:1175515451.324371.163370@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > What is the latest version of Money in the UK? > ...

Problem opening .exe files
Hi, I am unable to open any .exe files on my computer. If I try to open any .exe it brings me "Open With" window with the list of programs. But when I right click on exe file it gives me an option "start" which would launch me the application. How can I change the default double-click behaviour to launch the application? I am using Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! -- hihi7209 Sorry for opening up a new thread. After searching thoroughly in the forum, I was able to fix my issue. Please delete my thread. ...

Xml2PDF version 2.4 is released
Altsoft Xml2PDF version 2.4 November 2, 2005 Altsoft NV Altsoft NV is proud to announce the immediate availability of the new version of it Xml2PDF formatting engine. New XSL-FO features are: - inside and outside floats; - extension for creating PDF layers based on z-indexes; - extension for adding files as an attachment to PDF document; - extension for adding PDF document properties; - bug fixes and performance tuning; New SVG features are: - text paths; - extension for adding files as an attachment to PDF document; - extension for adding PDF document properties; - bug fixes and performan...

Why is Windows Search so slow???
Before I installed Windows Search on my Win XP Pro SP3 laptop (2GHz, 2G RAM, completely virus & malware free)., I used the original Windows search (search companion). When I clicked on Search companion, the search dialog immediately came up, and when I searched for a file on my HD the search was fast. Now, when I click on the link for Windows Search, there is a 4-second delay before the dialog comes up. Next, after I enter my search term and start the search, there is a noticeable delay before it even starts. But if I click on the link for Windows Search Companion, the dia...

opening URL from sended mails
Hello, I am using MS OUTLOOK for mail as well. If I get a mail with a URL written in it, I can NOT direct click on the URL and go to the new page told in it. What do I have to chance and were in the options to make it like it should, just click to the URL and go for it?? thanks Robert what folder is the message in? What version of Outlook? 2003: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/phishing.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips....

64 bit versions of Excel
Are there 64 bit versions of Excel 2003 or 2007? If so, is there a way to tell if it is 64 bit via vba? Bob Flanagan Bob, I believe that Excel 2010 is the first version that offers 64 bit. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Robert Flanagan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:Oo9rHYEcKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Are there 64 bit versions of Excel 2003 or 2007? If so, is there a way to > tell if it is 64 bit via vba? > > Bob Flanagan > ...