Querying Excel tables from Microsoft Query

Apologies if this posts twice. Since my posting hasn't shown up in 5 hours,
I'm assuming it got lost.

I cannot query a Microsoft Excel workbook with Microsoft Query.
The error message I get is "the data source contains no visible tables".
But the workbook that I am trying to query contains two named tables.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thanks.
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

For posterity, here is the fix.

If you have a range that has been converted to a table and given a table name,
as opposed to simply a named range, Microsoft Query will not recognize it as
a database table. I guess that would make too much sense.

What you have to do is convert the table to a range (Table Tools/convert to
range),
then give the range a name. Then MS query will recognize it as a table when
you select the workbook as the data source.

Go figure.

"JGPatrick" wrote:

> Apologies if this posts twice. Since my posting hasn't shown up in 5 hours,
> I'm assuming it got lost.
>
> I cannot query a Microsoft Excel workbook with Microsoft Query.
> The error message I get is "the data source contains no visible tables".
> But the workbook that I am trying to query contains two named tables.
>
> Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
>
> Thanks.

Timer for Queries?

How do I create a B&B reservation system in Excel?
Trying to create a reservation system for 6 room B&B in excel. Does anyone have template or know where to get one? ...

Erratic results from query criteria

Excel 2003 Function Help
I need help coming up will a function that will average a range in one column based on if the hours match. Here is my set up. -------A-------B 1.....09:21....12 2.....09:46....24 3.....09:57....17 4.....10:04....22 I need to average column B if column A's hour is the same as the hour in a cell in another worksheet. Ryan Hicks wrote: > I need help coming up will a function that will average a range in one column > based on if the hours match. Here is my set up. > > -------A-------B > 1.....09:21....12 > 2.....09:46....24 > 3.....09:57....17 &...

Excel Forms #5
Once I have created a form (for entering data in a spreadsheet)...is there a way to save the form for future use to avoid having to choose the columns each time I want to enter data? If you referring to Excel's Data, Form feature if you assign the name "database" to the list you do not have to select the list to use it with Data, Form. -- Jim "wheresleo" <wheresleo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA4C1EF6-FF2D-4EE3-837D-22814D6A9F34@microsoft.com... | Once I have created a form (for entering data in a spreadsheet)...is there a | way to sa...

Update Query ?

Excel 2004 security upgrade effect on macros

Matching data in tables
I have two tables of data, some of the rows are duplicated in these tables i want to find the data that is different. will an advanced filter do this? Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Jo Davis wrote: > > I have two tables of data, some of the rows are duplicated in these tables i > want to find the data that is different. > > will an advanced filter do this? -- Dave Peterson Cheers Dave "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: >...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

Dual monitors, dual excels
I am trying to copy and paste from one excel to another. The reason i have two seperate excels open is because i have dual monitors and that is the only way i know how to get excel to show up on both screens. When i try to paste it will only paste values and it will not paste the formulas. Also when i try to paste special it does not give me the usual paste special menu. How can I get around this problem? Thank you, Igor If you open one instance of excel and arrange the windows nicely, you should be ok. I'd start with Chip Pearson's notes: http://cpearson.com/excel/MultipleM...

default colours in excel
Hi all, I am attempting to change the default colours used by excel for chart fills and chart lines to something which looks better when printed, especially in greyscale. I have attempted to amend them and save the amendments as the default "book.xlt" template, but the old ones keep coming back. Can anyone assist me? I am using excel xp/windows 2000 at work, excel2000/windows xp at home (!) TIA Paul Where did you save book.xlt? It should be in the XLStart directory. Also try opening book.xlt directly, not via new, and see if your changes have saved okay? -- HTH Bob Phillip...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

Removing a field From a Pivot Table
I'm working with a pvt table in excel. Right now there are several fields in the pvt table, including the month different entries are made and the account that made them. When i hit the show detail button in the pivot table i get the detail all of the entries grouped by month and by account on a separate sheet. I want to continue to do this, but i want to also be able to get a second view where i hit the show detail button and only see the detail grouped my account (month is either hidden or totally removed from this list of data in the pvt table and the rows that composed the different...

Calculate weight (ounces into pounds) in Excell?
Is there any way to calculate weight (ounces into pounds) in Excell? I am using the Home and Office version 2007. Enter the weight in oz in A1 and in B1 enter: =16*A1 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "BCraft" wrote: > Is there any way to calculate weight (ounces into pounds) in Excell? I am > using the Home and Office version 2007. Sorry: =A1/16 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "BCraft" wrote: > Is there any way to calculate weight (ounces into pounds) in Excell? I am > using the Home and Office version 2007. ...

Pivot Table Summary Error?
Greetings, Sorry, wasn't sure which subforum to post this in, as there's nothing dedicated to pivot table. My dilemma is as follows: I have a spreadsheet where data is entered daily. For my example, just imagine a spreadsheet with three columns: date, date, delay. Two date columns are used for the pivot table. The pivot table is displayed with month and weekly ranges as the row headers. There is a field in the pivot table that is summarized as a MAX of one of the source data columns. Now, the problem I am coming across is the monthly summary MAX is not c...

pass through query

Microsoft certificates in Users/~/Library/Keychains?
While familiarizing myself with the Keychain Access utility and planning for installation of Tiger, I found two Microsoft certificates in the Users/~/Library/Keychains: Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificate and Microsoft_Entity_Certificate Were these installed with Office 2004 and what functions do they serve, please? Respectfully, Norm In article <BE9173A2.B604%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu>, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > While familiarizing myself with the Keychain Access utility and planning for > installation of T...

a count field in a query?

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Where does Excel store the orientation of PivotFields?
Hi there, I'm trying to find out where Excel stores the orientation of a PivotField, especially once it has been draged into position. Right now I'm using the AcitveChart.PivotLayout.PivotTable("TableName").PivotFields() Function to get a collection of all Fields within that Table. But even though all Fields are in the collection each of them has the orientation "xlHidden" regardless where I dragged them at the chart. The display of the fields within the charts works perfectly fine. Can Somebody Help me please? ...

Location of Grand Total in Pivot table
Is the a way to show the Grand total next to the selected Field as opposed to the right now column ( I am using a file that had data results by Date)? You can not move the grand totals. They is where they is and that's where they stays... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Rosemary" wrote: > Is the a way to show the Grand total next to the selected Field as opposed to > the right now column ( I am using a file that had data results by Date)? ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Why am I getting virus protection error when load excel file
I just upgraded to excel 2003. When I try to old or new file I've create, I get virus file detection error Hi! Have you recently run these files through a virus checker? Just thought... Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try using Tools/Options/General and uncheck Macro Virus Protection which detects any macro in a workbook - even if it is yours -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Gary, This is ambiguous. If you get an Excel warning to the effect of "This workbook contains macros. Macros can be bad...," this is normal if the workbook...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...