personal.xls in 2007

Excel 2007
Vista Enterprise SP1

In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
Currently, it's in:

C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
(opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet?  This isn't
happening automatically as it does with XP.

(Do I need to convert it to .xlsx?  But note that we are currently
saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)

Thanks.
0
wal
12/14/2009 11:17:46 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Answer to self:  I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM.  The location
seems fine.

Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
I've set it to be Hidden).

However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
open.  How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
workbook both open?

Thanks.

On Dec 14, 6:17=A0pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Excel 2007
> Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> Currently, it's in:
>
> C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? =A0This isn't
> happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? =A0But note that we are currently
> saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> Thanks.

0
wal
12/15/2009 2:31:26 PM
It is xlsb

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Excel 2007
> Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> Currently, it's in:
>
> C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> Thanks.

0
Ron
12/15/2009 3:37:26 PM
Ron,

Thanks.

What is xslm vs. xlsb?  The effect you describe on your webpage also
occurs with my personal.xlsm, and its macros do work.  So does it make
any difference?

Also, and maybe I didn't read your page carefully enough, but how do I
also get a blank (non-personal.xlsm/b) workbook to appear
automatically upon starting Excel, in addition to the hidden
personal.xlsm/b?  Thanks.

On Dec 15, 10:37=A0am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> It is xlsb
>
> Seehttp://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "wal" <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:d3f4388d-7227-4851-893b=
-28628031209c@n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

> Answer to self: =A0I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM. =A0The location
> seems fine.
>
> Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
> I've set it to be Hidden).
>
> However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
> the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
> open. =A0How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
> workbook both open?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > Excel 2007
> > Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> > In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> > Currently, it's in:
>
> > C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> > How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> > (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> > happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> > (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> > saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

wal
12/16/2009 3:45:19 PM
xlsb load faster then xlsm

First remove the personal file you have now from xlstart

If you create a personal file (see steps on my page) it will open
a empty workbook for you when you start excel

--

On Dec 15, 10:37 am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> It is xlsb
>
> Seehttp://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "wal" <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:d3f4388d-7227-4851-893b-28628031209c@n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>
> Answer to self: I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM. The location
> seems fine.
>
> Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
> I've set it to be Hidden).
>
> However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
> the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
> open. How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
> workbook both open?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > Excel 2007
> > Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> > In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> > Currently, it's in:
>
> > C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> > How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> > (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> > happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> > (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> > saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Ron

Outlook 2007 killing my Vista reliability score
not sure just why, but outlook seems to like fail now and again upon closing the application on Vista Ultimate. It starts up fine, runs fine, but when I review the reliability index I see reports of Outlook.exe stopped working. The event viewer shows Application Error events ID 1000, but the faulting module is not always the same. Would love to track this down. -- Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant ...

Software to match an email address to a person
Does anybody know of a software that can match an email address that I have to a person? I have a yahoo email address and I need to know the name of the person. Thanks, Jasper i don't believe it's possible...anyone can open a yahoo email account with any bogus name...if it's not in the "display", i don't see how you'd get a valid name... "Jasper Recto" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23WPfENFEFHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Does anybody know of a software that can match an email address that I have > to a person? > >...

2nd Post. Please help with Personal files
Hello, I need help configuring my desktop to use the same calender and contacts as my notebook, but I want both computers to have different e-mail. In other words when I bring my laptot .pst file to my desktop, I dont wanr my e=mail on my desktop to written over. Please help. I made a major mistake yesterday when I brought my laptop file over and it wrote over all of my desktop e-mails. Thank You very much Mark Mark W. wrote: > Hello, > I need help configuring my desktop to use the same calender and contacts > as my notebook, but I want both computers to have different e-m...

I can't seem to add a logo to my personal information
The area where my logo could be added is grayed out and I can't seem to add a logo to it. Any suggestions? Edit a logo for a personal information set http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030713481033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kitsal" <kitsal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E384EDC-D43D-4EAF-84FD-4CC05086C816@microsoft.com... > The area where my logo could be added is grayed out and I can't seem to add a > logo to it. Any suggestions? ...

Best practice for setting default font settings in Word 2007
Could anyone tell me what Microsoft's "Best Practice" is for a company to change the default font settings in Word 2007? For example, if I wanted to change the default font to Times New Roman for all new documents and push this out to the company - does best practice remain the same as in Word 2003? Or has it changed with the inclusion of the default document settings and themes? Thanks so much! I am not sure how you did it in Word 2003, but in either case, I would not rely on customizing the Normal.dot template. You should create separate templates for your...

What is Personal.xls
What exactly is the personal.xls file? I created the macro to create the file as a test (I'm always testing something to see if I can make it work) and now it opens with every excel file. I know I can delete it, but what is it used for? Thanks! When you start recording a macro, Excel asks where you want to store it. Your three choices are: current workbook, a fresh workbook, or your personal workbook. Personal.xls is the last choice; it's a single place to collect all your VBA code so it's available whenever you start Excel. -- HTH - -Frank Microsoft Excel MVP Dolphin Techn...

WHERE IS PERSONAL.XLS
I have just upgraded my PC and had to reinstall EXCEL2002. I am using WinXP pro. I have a copy of my old PERSONAL.XLS in which I have several of my personal macros. When I went to copy it into my new copy of EXCEL2002 I can't find the XLSTART directory or the PERSONAL.XLS file in the new installation ? Can anyone help me, please ? ... Roger Try typing ?application.StartupPath in the VBE immediate window to find it. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Roger O" <roger46@skynet.be> wrote in message news:OSFzTV4hFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I have just upgraded my P...

Personal Folder #2
Greetings, I use the outlook 2000 as a mail appliction interface to the exchange 2000 server and save my mails in a personel folder then, I get a problem when i open my personel folder file (*.pst), i used "scanpst" tool to recover my *.pst file but it gaves me an error and stopped, My pst file is over 2Gega bytes and it include a very critical data to me. please help how can i recover my mails from that file? Your .pst file has exceeded the default limit for that type of file and is now probably corrupt. See this page for some assistance: http://www.slipstick.com/proble...

how to add ...person wrote...email address..reply
My question about Outlook: How do I have this entered automatically when sending a reply? "In a message dated 9/21/09 11:10:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dbell5@carolina.rr.com writes:" Is there a website to learn this? Or is there software that will do this and some other such entries. The automatic...out of office...we can find.. I have not been able to find this online. Thanks. help... In a message dated 9/21/09 11:10:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dbell5@carolina.rr.com writes: ...

Excel 2007
Hello, One of our employees has been getting a message that I have never seen before, and after doing a Google search I have come up with no results whatsoever. The error message is: The system you are saving to does not have enough memory to remove personal information from file properties. All personal information may not be removed The computer has 2 GB of RAM and Windows controlled page file, running Windows XP. It does it when saving a particular file and as far as he says, no other files. I also noticed a few minutes ago that he was moving some cells around in a single file, the ce...

multiple personal folders #12
HI, I have multiple "Personal Folders" directories in my Outlook 2007. The reason is probably that I imported several old archive. Is there a way to fuse or merge these directories? Or perhaps move the contents to one and than delete the other empty one? Thanks You can copy and paste from one folder to another. You can then close any folder that isn't your default (unless you corrupted your profile by importing a PST file). -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <paa17@planiet.nl> wrote in message news:4968f5ea$0$30616$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl... >...

PERSONAL.XLS & PERSONAL.XLS.pro
Hi, can any please advise me why on opening Excel 2000 on my works PC I ge two files opening i.e. PERSONAL.XLS & PERSONAL.XLS.pro as opposed to only one i.e. PERSONAL.XLS on my home PC. Is it safe to delete the PERSONAL.XLS.pro and if so how ? Many thanks Ro -- robertgu 44 Married two kid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- robertguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=596 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26452 I've never heard of THAT file. It sounds to me lik...

How to convert .xls to .rtf
Does anyone know how to convert an Excel spreadsheet to .rtf format? Thanks in advance. Not really sure, but you could try this .. Copy the sheet In Word ----------- Edit > paste special > Formatted Text (RTF) File > Save As Under "Save as type:" > Choose "Rich Text Format" -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "John Garvey" <John Garvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9A094D5-996F-4AF1-86DF-31F9C92F05A8@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to conve...

Combining multiple XLS files into one
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Let's say I have multiple XLS spreadsheet files, each one with its own small table of data and calculations. Let's say I want to keep these original files separate. <br><br>I also want to create a new XLS file, this one combining the spreasheets from the original XLS files mentioned above. In the new consolidated file, each of the original XLS files would become a worksheet in the newly consolidated workbook. <br><br>The consolidated workbook would contain the workseets derived fro...

Microsoft Office Student 2007 activation issues
I have recently installed Windows 7 and have had to reinstall my microsoft office program. The installation went through correctly, no problems there. My problem is with activating it. I go through the activation and choose to convert to the full product right away as I have a product key for a full version. I put the product key in and accept it. I choose my options and then it goes to configuration. The configuration goes through correctly and then I get prompted to restart all microsoft office programs for the changes to go through. I do that and then it prompts me to activate...

xl 2007 template
Template doesn't work with new set of data (typically data array with timestamp in first column and measured values for each channel within the following columns) It doesn't take the columns header as series title and makes the first column a series even if the template was tailored as a xy chart. I've checked that all cells (except for the first line) are filled with numerics. I have not experienced such problem in xl 2003. Dominique ...

CONVERT Numbers-As-Text to PURE Numbers when converting to xls ??
I have a table that has a text field which stores only numbers. I'm not sure why it is formatted as text...but it always is...and I currently have to control over its creation. I have a report based on a query which is very often "Output To" an XLS format via a Macro (it very cooly works with one click) so it can be used in a spreadsheet. Well...that text field with numbers comes into excel as text, of course. At least the excel indicates so with little triangles in the cells' corners. Excel also provides a little pull down mention which allows a quick convert to true n...

Importing Palm One Desktop into Outlook 2007
How do I import all my addresses and calendar from Palm One Desktop into Outlook 2007? I am running Vista. Durene Follow the directions that come with your sync software. This is not an Outlook question. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Durene" <Durene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14573090-3294-48A6-B803-72C70069001D@microsoft.com... > How do I import all my addresses and calendar from Palm One Desktop into > Outlook 2007? I am running Vista. > > Durene ...

personal folder
Hi, I have upgraded my machine with Office XP Professional from Office 2000, everything is okey except personal folder all my inbox, sent items have not been retained. Please help!!!! ...

Retrieving data from my old 1997 Outlook to new version 2007
I updated to Windows 2007 (from the 97 version) yesterday and somehow all the data from my calendar and tasks has disappeared. I did back up before the update but cannot seem to find these. "Gail" <Gail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2269A1B8-B2DB-47FC-9572-1046137444E0@microsoft.com... > I updated to Windows 2007 (from the 97 version) yesterday and somehow all > the > data from my calendar and tasks has disappeared. I did back up before the > update but cannot seem to find these. So where and how did you "backup"? ...

Restore e-mails from Outlook 2007 to .Me / Mail
Mac user in peace. I run Apple's Mail which syncs via .Me (formerly .Mac) with my iPhone. I use Parallels to create a virtual machine on which runs Windows XP. I have a ..pst file originaly created by Outlook 2003 wihch I want to open (I own a copy of Outlook XP which being a previous version, will not open the pst). I have downloaded a 60-day trial of Office Small Business 2007 to open the pst. On set up I created an e-mail account by using my existing .Me account. Outlook 2007 has successfully opend up my old PST file, however on first send/receive it has not just opend my ....

2004 Business -> 2004 personal
I had been using Money 2004 Business version to track my personal expenses. Will Money 2004 personal read the file or backup file? and if so will there be lost accounts or bank information? -- Parley D. Kennelly Southern California Realtor� Yes Personal will always read a Business file (from the same geographic region). You will get warnings about lost functionality, but it is only the business functionality that is lost. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see ...

Powerpoint 2003 versus 2007
I have Windows Power point 2007 as my default program. My new college professor (online) uses 2003. I have 2003 in my computer but no product key. How do I get the product key for 2003 power point? Thank you, Merrill Vaughan mavfpc@yahoo.com In article <94A9EB1F-DDBA-44B2-9161-BC0E8A55CF71@microsoft.com>, Merrill wrote: > I have Windows Power point 2007 as my default program. > My new college professor (online) uses 2003. I have 2003 in > my computer but no product key. How do I get the product > key for 2003 power point? You'd have to purchase it...

Outlook 2007 11-18-09
Trying to set up email account in outlook. It connects but then asks for network user name and password. What is this? "dparris3" <dparris3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD883D9A-20A0-49AD-B11A-A54DD0D3F3D0@microsoft.com... > Trying to set up email account in outlook. It connects but then asks for > network user name and password. What is this? The username and password your email supplier gave you when you set the account up with them? ...

Move transaction to another person
A cashier rung in a transaction under the wrong customer. Since we have warranty for these items - would like to be able to sql the transaction # to the proper customer. OR is it simpler to refund and resale! I have several of these to do unfortunately... Thanks Dan We return and resell. The downside is that it messes with the sale dates. "Dan-902" wrote: > A cashier rung in a transaction under the wrong customer. Since we have > warranty for these items - would like to be able to sql the transaction # to > the proper customer. OR is it simple...