personal.xls in 2007

  • Follow

Excel 2007
Vista Enterprise SP1

In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
Currently, it's in:

C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
(opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet?  This isn't
happening automatically as it does with XP.

(Do I need to convert it to .xlsx?  But note that we are currently
saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)

Thanks.
0
Reply wal 12/14/2009 11:17:46 PM

Answer to self:  I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM.  The location
seems fine.

Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
I've set it to be Hidden).

However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
open.  How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
workbook both open?

Thanks.

On Dec 14, 6:17=A0pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Excel 2007
> Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> Currently, it's in:
>
> C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? =A0This isn't
> happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? =A0But note that we are currently
> saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> Thanks.

0
Reply wal 12/15/2009 2:31:26 PM

It is xlsb

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Excel 2007
> Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> Currently, it's in:
>
> C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> Thanks.

0
Reply Ron 12/15/2009 3:37:26 PM

Ron,

Thanks.

What is xslm vs. xlsb?  The effect you describe on your webpage also
occurs with my personal.xlsm, and its macros do work.  So does it make
any difference?

Also, and maybe I didn't read your page carefully enough, but how do I
also get a blank (non-personal.xlsm/b) workbook to appear
automatically upon starting Excel, in addition to the hidden
personal.xlsm/b?  Thanks.

On Dec 15, 10:37=A0am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> It is xlsb
>
> Seehttp://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "wal" <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:d3f4388d-7227-4851-893b=
-28628031209c@n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

> Answer to self: =A0I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM. =A0The location
> seems fine.
>
> Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
> I've set it to be Hidden).
>
> However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
> the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
> open. =A0How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
> workbook both open?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > Excel 2007
> > Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> > In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> > Currently, it's in:
>
> > C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> > How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> > (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> > happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> > (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> > saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Reply wal 12/16/2009 3:45:19 PM

xlsb load faster then xlsm

First remove the personal file you have now from xlstart

If you create a personal file (see steps on my page) it will open
a empty workbook for you when you start excel

--

On Dec 15, 10:37 am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> It is xlsb
>
> Seehttp://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>
> "wal" <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote in messagenews:d3f4388d-7227-4851-893b-28628031209c@n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>
> Answer to self: I saved PERSONAL.XLS as PERSONAL.XLSM. The location
> seems fine.
>
> Now, when I open an existing worsheet, personal.xlsm also opens (and
> I've set it to be Hidden).
>
> However, when I open Excel itself from a general Excel desktop icon,
> the program opens, with personal.xlsm hidden, but no fresh workbook
> open. How can I start Excel so that both personal.xlsm and a blank
> workbook both open?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Dec 14, 6:17 pm, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > Excel 2007
> > Vista Enterprise SP1
>
> > In what folder is personal.xls supposed to go in Vista Enterprise?
> > Currently, it's in:
>
> > C:\Users\<MyFolderName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> > How do I ensure that personal.xls will automatically be invoked
> > (opened but hidden) whenever I open an Excel worksheet? This isn't
> > happening automatically as it does with XP.
>
> > (Do I need to convert it to .xlsx? But note that we are currently
> > saving everything by default as .xls for the time being.)
>
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Reply Ron 12/17/2009 8:26:34 PM

(page loaded in 0.051 seconds)

Reply: