Lock Cells with Hyperlink

Hey guys,

This should be pretty simple if possible, but I"m just not able to
figure it out.. I'm thinking I just overlooked it.

I have cells with hyperlinks that I want to lock.  If I protect the
sheet and do not allow the cells to be selected, the hyperlink will
not work.  If I protect the sheet and allow the cells to be selected,
it works.  The cells are locked to they can't be edited.  The problem,
not really a problem, but If I choose to allow select cells when
protected, all the cells on the sheet can be selected, whether locked
or unlocked.

Is there a way I can protect the sheet and still only allow unlocked
cells to be selected without unlocking the cells with hyperlinks?  and
not allowing all of the cells on the sheet to be selected?

Sorry if this was info overload, but trying to explain as best I can.

Thanks!
Shaun
0
Storm_21_924
1/11/2010 3:46:30 PM
excel 39880 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Jan 11, 9:46=A0am, Storm_21_924 <shaunho...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> This should be pretty simple if possible, but I"m just not able to
> figure it out.. I'm thinking I just overlooked it.
>
> I have cells with hyperlinks that I want to lock. =A0If I protect the
> sheet and do not allow the cells to be selected, the hyperlink will
> not work. =A0If I protect the sheet and allow the cells to be selected,
> it works. =A0The cells are locked to they can't be edited. =A0The problem=
,
> not really a problem, but If I choose to allow select cells when
> protected, all the cells on the sheet can be selected, whether locked
> or unlocked.
>
> Is there a way I can protect the sheet and still only allow unlocked
> cells to be selected without unlocking the cells with hyperlinks? =A0and
> not allowing all of the cells on the sheet to be selected?
>
> Sorry if this was info overload, but trying to explain as best I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Shaun

Anything?  Anyone?
Help! :)
0
Storm_21_924
1/13/2010 3:03:31 PM
Why does it matter that you can select locked cells?

If they are locked they cannot be altered or edited so no harm done.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:03:31 -0800 (PST), Storm_21_924
<shaunholtz@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Jan 11, 9:46�am, Storm_21_924 <shaunho...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> This should be pretty simple if possible, but I"m just not able to
>> figure it out.. I'm thinking I just overlooked it.
>>
>> I have cells with hyperlinks that I want to lock. �If I protect the
>> sheet and do not allow the cells to be selected, the hyperlink will
>> not work. �If I protect the sheet and allow the cells to be selected,
>> it works. �The cells are locked to they can't be edited. �The problem,
>> not really a problem, but If I choose to allow select cells when
>> protected, all the cells on the sheet can be selected, whether locked
>> or unlocked.
>>
>> Is there a way I can protect the sheet and still only allow unlocked
>> cells to be selected without unlocking the cells with hyperlinks? �and
>> not allowing all of the cells on the sheet to be selected?
>>
>> Sorry if this was info overload, but trying to explain as best I can.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Shaun
>
>Anything?  Anyone?
>Help! :)

0
Gord
1/13/2010 5:10:31 PM
On Jan 13, 11:10=A0am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Why does it matter that you can select locked cells?
>
> If they are locked they cannot be altered or edited so no harm done.
>
> Gord Dibben =A0MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:03:31 -0800 (PST), Storm_21_924
>

> <shaunho...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >On Jan 11, 9:46=A0am, Storm_21_924 <shaunho...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Hey guys,
>
> >> This should be pretty simple if possible, but I"m just not able to
> >> figure it out.. I'm thinking I just overlooked it.
>
> >> I have cells with hyperlinks that I want to lock. =A0If I protect the
> >> sheet and do not allow the cells to be selected, the hyperlink will
> >> not work. =A0If I protect the sheet and allow the cells to be selected=
,
> >> it works. =A0The cells are locked to they can't be edited. =A0The prob=
lem,
> >> not really a problem, but If I choose to allow select cells when
> >> protected, all the cells on the sheet can be selected, whether locked
> >> or unlocked.
>
> >> Is there a way I can protect the sheet and still only allow unlocked
> >> cells to be selected without unlocking the cells with hyperlinks? =A0a=
nd
> >> not allowing all of the cells on the sheet to be selected?
>
> >> Sorry if this was info overload, but trying to explain as best I can.
>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Shaun
>
> >Anything? =A0Anyone?
> >Help! :)- Hide quoted text -

Its more for the appearance... I know that it's functional as is.. I
was trying to clean it up a bit..
0
Storm_21_924

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Contents automatically entered into another cell
working on an estimate and trying to figure out a way to take the results of one cell and have its contents be automatically entered into another cell. I have a subtotal line item for a particular category, I am wanting to create a cover page showing the various catergories but not all of the breakdown. (It is simple to keep track of right now, but as the estimate gets more involved, changes become harder to remember). I'm trying to create a reference to the cover page that will reflect the sub-total line item from the detailed breakdown. So, if $3.23 is shown in the deatailed br...

Can custom headers be linked to a cell in the worksheet?
This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar in Excel? You could use a macro... For instance, this code goes behind the ThisWorkbook module: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.LeftHeader = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub Texas_Toast wrote: > > This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be > retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar...

Keeping text within the cell
Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, How does one format the cell so that when text is entered it does not flow across the worksheet or resize the cell? I would prefer to keep the cell the same size and not have the text run into the next column and then just mouse over the cell to read what is in that cell. Is this possible? Thanks Tim Foster Make an entry in the cell to the right (even a space). In article <rie3d059vtotqt4pihh14u0n6r34mqau1t@4ax.com>, Tim Foster <opyis@shaw.ca> wrote: > Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, > > How does one format the cell so that when text is entered i...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

how may I copy color of a other cell
Hello, I need a function that copy also the full format/color/size of a cell Example A1 = USD 12'500.00 (monetary size, 12 fat, blue bottom) A2 = mon 12.03.2004 (dates, 10 not fat, white bottom) If in A3 I type: =" A1 " I would like a blue bottom, 12 fat, etc. and If I type =" A2 " a white bottom, 10 not fat, etc.... Is it possible? Thank you for any help. Thierry, Maybe you can use the Format Painter. Select the cell that has the formatting you wish to copy, and click the Format Painter. It's a paintbrush on a button on the Standard toolbar. Now click the c...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

get an average of 3 cells, if they all have numbers, in excel.
In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. "rudyjudy" <rudyjudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. > and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. =IF(COUNT(A1,B2,C3)=3, AVERAGE(A1,B2,C3), "") Unfortunately, you will not see this response unless you use a different NG interface, e.g. Google Groups or a newsreader that access the MSnews server, msnews.microsof...

Joining/Merging Cells
I want to merge two cells into one and then, eliminate the 2d cell, e.g., Cell A Cell B Smith James Jones Fred CELL A now becomes Smith, James Jones, Fred I know about =Ax&", "&Bx [where x is the row number]; however, I do NOT want to keep column 2 after I complete the merger. However, if after I merge, and obtain the result I want, I don't know how to retain the result after I delete Column B. So, "adding" effectively adding the two columns together doesn't cut it. Thanks! Ann just select the merged data, Copy ...

Can I link *.jpg files to Excel cells?
I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK also. Can I do it? TIA LAS You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image stored within the workbook. How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate results you are looking for. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: >I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd >lik...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Enter Male / Female only into cell.
It's me again, You are all so efficient with your answers, I thought I would tak advantage of you... How can I ensure that only the words "Male/male/Female/female" ar entered into a "gender" cell? Thanks again -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use a validation list. Jerry DarrenPWS < wrote: > It's me again, > > You are all so efficient with your answers, I thought I would take > advantage of you... > > How can I ensure that only the words "Male/male/Female/female" are > entered into a "gender" cel...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Why Am I getting a blank in the result cell?
Can someone assist me with what I'm doing wrong with the formula below? It keeps returning a blank in the resulting cell. I am trying to calculate the weighted avg. of production scores for an employee based on hours worked per month. columns B,D,F,H,J, and L are the hours while C,E,G,I,K, and M are the prod scores. Manual calculation should result in a 90.9% weighted averge. B C D E F G H I J K L M wgtd. Avg. 129 117 - - 29 75 19 32 - - 50 55 90.9% =IF(ISERROR(SUMPRODUCT((B13...

Where am I being locked out?!
This is an unusual problem and I'm hoping someone will have come across something similar before. Before I start I should state that I've hardly used Windows Server or Active Directory, so go easy on me if this is something obvious! I am having my account locked out on a daily basis. I know that this isn't to do with my machine as it happens even if I get my account unlocked and wait a day without turning my machine on I still can't log on the day after. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of software that I've installed somewhere that keeps trying to con...

Copying Cells #3
How do I copy a row into a column? Hi Copy the cells (with Edit|Copy or Ctrl+C), select the destination cell and click Edit|Paste Special . . and select the Transpose check box. -- Andy. "Medusa" <Medusa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FD3B81E-4902-4530-AC99-D075BA4F74D5@microsoft.com... > How do I copy a row into a column? ...

Blue triangle in top left corner of cell?
What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left corner of an Excel 2007 cell? Isn't it green? Then it might be the error warning symbol. If you select the cell, you'll get an exclamation mark and a drop down telling you what the "error" is (like referring to currently empty cells) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Bill (St. Jude)" <BillStJude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8974890-8E66-4909-B871-4195459D84F1@microsoft.com... | What is the significance of the little blue triangle in the top left c...

Why not use this as a lock object in lock
Hello! According to the docs it says that lock (this) is a problem if the instance can be accessed publicly. Can somebody explain what can happen if I have a lock section and use this as the lock object like this. lock(this) { } //Tony On 2010-06-20 17:09, Tony Johansson wrote: > According to the docs it says that lock (this) is a problem if the instance > can be accessed publicly. > Can somebody explain what can happen if I have a lock section and use this > as the lock object like this. > lock(this) > { > > } > http://haacked.com/ar...

Cell borders
Hi, In Publiser 2007 it was possible to have dashed or dotted lines as cell borders. This was acheived by using a patern for the line colour, e.g. a pattern of vertical lines would give a dotted horizontal cell border. In Publisher 2010 the option to have a pattern for the line colour on a cell border is no longer there. Can anyone suggest a way to acheive dotted cell borders? Microsoft - is there a reason this functionality was removed, can we have it back please? Otherwise nice work, I'm hearing good feedback from the people testing 2010. Thanks, Tim You ca...

adding to the drop down for "Format cells that contain a date occuring"
In conditional Formatting,Highlight Cells Rules,A Date Occurring. Is it possible to expand the drop down list to include "this year"? The list currently consists of: Yesterday Today Tomorrow In the last 7 days Last Week This Week Next Week Last Month This Month Next Month You'd have to use: Conditional Formatting>Manage rules>New rule>Use a formula to determine which cells to format Then use a formula like this: =YEAR(A1)=YEAR(NOW()) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Stace Cameron" <scameron@siumed.edu> wrote in message news:Ob8OaGcUKHA.4488@TK2MS...