Changing xlsx file to zip and deleting a file

I have a user who has an Excel (.xlsx) file that took about 15 seconds
to do a simple calculation. But, there are a bunch of other formulas
and conditional formatting statements in the file.

The file size was "only" 351 KB. There are only 5 worksheets, two of
which didn't appear to be used. I went through the other sheets and
checked for:

-  hidden rows/columns - I found none
-  the area of each worksheet that had data and calculations was small
(the most rows on any worksheet was about 130, and the columns didn't
extend past P)
-  the formulas and conditional formatting didn't seem like that big
of a deal (I turned off Automatic calculation)

While clicking around one worksheet, I stumbled into a text box, then
another one, then another, and so on. The observations I could make
about the textboxes:

-  many of them on the one worksheet had the same name.
-  generally, there were 2 to 4 textboxes stacked on top of each
other.
-  they were small, about half the size of a cell
-  they had no border lines
-  I did an F5 and choose "Special" then choose "Objects". After five
minutes, Excel was still working on the command, so I killed Excel and
tried it again, but with the same results.

I created a backup of the file and changed its name to a zip extension
and opened it up in WinZip. I found that it contained a file named
"drawing1.xml" which was 24,790,045 bytes (~ 24 MB!) compressed to
301,152 bytes (~ 301 KB!). I deleted the drawing1.xml file, closed
Winzip and renamed it to the original xlsx extension.

When opening it, an error popped up that read, "Excel found unreadable
content in 'filename.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of
this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes." I
had a Yes/No choice, and selected "Yes". Then a dialog box displayed;
it was titled "Repairs to 'filename.xlsx. It listed "Removed Part:
Drawing shape." Once, opened, I re-saved the workbook. When I close
out of Excel, and re-open the workbook, it seems to open fine.

My questions:
1.	Is there a better way to handle this situation? (I felt I used
brute-force to solve this problem!)
2.	Any idea why there would be so many textboxes?
3.	Any other thoughts?

Thank you for any assistance.
0
rgmw
5/25/2010 12:56:27 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

delete busines units
Can somebody help me? I know that i can't delete business units.Now, I need to know what else can not be deleted? you can't delete users either. "V" <V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:750F35FC-5C34-410D-AEF0-07F204CA37C3@microsoft.com... > Can somebody help me? I know that i can't delete business units.Now, > I need to know what else can not be deleted? ...

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

SP2 Issue on Sharing a Money 2005 File
One of the features I was interesting in with Money 2005 was the ability to share the file with another .NET Passport. I can't make this work. First Microsoft Technical support confirmed that having Windows XP SP2 installed causes a problem - I would just get the rotating arrow and no box to enter the 2nd .NET Passport. I then installed Money on 2 different machines with Windows XP SP1, and tried again, even starting with a brand new Money file and new .NET Passports. I was able to go further, but after inputing the 2nd .NET Passport, then being asked to sign in, I got that s...

File lockout update
Redmond, July 28, 2004, 23:15 PDT Here is the current status on the lockout issue. We are working to restore the original locks on these files. (See my earlier posting for a more detailed description.) It is our expectation that, when fixed, this will not require any downloads (or uploads), but the solution may require a connection to our web site. This was not caused by any download of Money software, and we don't think that a download will be necessary to fix it. We are not sure whether every user will be fixed automatically, or if some manual steps will need to be done. If there are ...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Deleted User Mailbox
Delete a user from Exchange 2003 and the mailbox showed as orphane. Later created a new user and connected that mailbox to that new user successfully. Now the new user cannot logon using OWA. Under Mailboxes in the ESM it shows user connected successfully but under Last Logged in by it show ... S-1-5-21-106....... Please advise. Thank you in advance. ...

Excel File Portection/Password
I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Drew the file should open in Excel 2000 without a problem (after entering the password of course). What kind of error do you get? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Drew wrote: > I have an excel document created in excel 02. I now need > to open the doc in excel 2000. It is pwd protected but it > won't open in excel 2000. Is there a work around? Hi Frank, It says the password is wrong. Thi...

Pasword protected Excel file encrypted, how do I read this file?
I password protected an important file. My husband downloaded the Office 2003 upgrade last night. Now when I try to access the file I get this message...This is an Excel file, I don't know why it looks encrypted or why I can't access it. This file is not in a recognizable format. If you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Office Excel, click Cancel, then open this file in its orginal application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft office Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change