amortization - calculating late fees and penalty interest

Have modified an amortization (for a loan i have given to somebody) to allow
me to modify and put in actual payments received. I need to include the
actual dates of payment as most are not received when they are due I need to
calculate late payment fees and penalty interest on overdue amounts.  If I
just make a seperate worksheet and enter the values for late interest and
fees on both sheets manually, then I have to calculate the late interest
myself which I cannot do.  To add more confusion, I really need to calculate
interest on a daily basis so I can charge late interest based on the number
of days overdue and compounding each day.  I am no expert when it comes to
devising formula solutions, but I am pretty good at copying and pasting (yes
that was an attempt at humour)
0
lizzie (10)
12/15/2005 2:28:02 AM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How do the late payment fees and penalty interest work?  Is there a set
fee everytime they are late or does it vary with the amount past due
they go?  Does the interest rate increase during the period that they
are past due, permantently or something different?  Let me know and I
can probably through this together.

--
cvolkert
cvolkert's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24380

Basicly, there is a $25 late payment charge if the account isn't up to date
when a payment is due, and the interest will increase by 2% any time the loan
is in arrears.  That extra interest applies to the entire principal, not just
on the amount outstanding.  The interest rate is also variable so could rise
or fall throughout the loan period.  My problem is that I need to calculate
penalty interest, and base it on the number of days in arrears and not for
the entire month if paid a few days late rather than an entire month late.

Cheers and thank you

"cvolkert" wrote:

> How do the late payment fees and penalty interest work?  Is there a set
> fee everytime they are late or does it vary with the amount past due
> they go?  Does the interest rate increase during the period that they
> are past due, permantently or something different?  Let me know and I
> can probably through this together.
>

> --
> cvolkert
> cvolkert's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24380
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493688

0
lizzie (10)

Amortization schedule with veriable payments
I need an amortization schedule that allows changing the monthly payment amount. I have a house that I have sold to someone with a contract for deed. I have an amortization schedule, but due to them having some financial probems they have lowered the monthly payment with my permission. That is why I would like to change the payment amount after 2 years of calculated payments. I would appreciate any ideas. Gervis "Gervis" wrote: > I need an amortization schedule that allows > changing the monthly payment amount. Off-hand, I don't know of a free template...

amortize
Will MS Money 03 amortize loans and manipulate the numbers? None of the boxes or the salespeople know. Money has a type of account, the Loan Account, for amortized loans. It has a type of transaction, the Loan Payment, that calculates interest expense and Principal Transfer components of each payment. That may or may not answer your question. "Asussertown" <DROPsussertown@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:eHGefFTSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Will MS Money 03 amortize loans and manipulate the numbers? None of the > boxes or the salespeople know. Money ...

Accumulate Amortized Expenditures by month
I need some help with an excel sheet and you guys may be the ones to help. I have a list of capital expenditures that I want to amortize over X months. Lets say office equipment is $10,000 and we are amortizing it over 12 months starting 1/1/11. That gives us a monthly cost of $833.33 Total capital expenditures by month 1/1/11 - $833.33 2/1/11 - $833.33 3/1/11 - $833.33 4/1/11 - $833.33 5/1/11 - $833.33 6/1/11 - $833.33 7/1/11 - $833.33 8/1/11 - $833.33 9/1/11 - $833.33 10/1/11 - $833.33 11/1/11 - $833.33 12/1/11 - $833.33 So that is just one expense. No lets say in June we buy more compu...

Moving the Area of Interest across the Video Sequence
Hello, I am capturing a live acquisition of image 1280*1024 and defined a subwindow or Area of Interest (AOI) of size 1280*40 using MFC programming .I want to move this AOI across the 1280*1024 window (across the video sequence). I am thinking of using a timer or a for loop so that it will iterate on each of the frames of the video. Can anyone please kindly help me regarding this. Thanks in advance James. ...

mortgage interest
Hi, What is the correct excel formula to calculate the monthly interest on an interest only mortgage of �100,000 at a rate of 3.75% per year where the interest is calculated daily? At present I use =((C22*C19)/12) where C22 is �100,000 and C19 is 3.75% but the result is not the same as what I am being charged each month. Thanks, Tracy Hi Tracy, In part, the answer depends on how fequently interest is charged. Although it might be calculated daily, it might only be charged monthly. Plus, some financial institutions calculate the daily & monthly interest on the basis of a year hav...

Loan cash to a friend with interest
Hi, is there an account to register some cash I lend to friend, but he is making payments only for the interest not for the principal? He will pay the principal someday, but right now he is paying me interest. Becuase with money I can only track loan with interest but for credits I received, not for credits I am giving. Thanks You don't say what version/edition/mode of Money you are using. Money (except Essentials (MEss)) can create a Loan Account when you are lending money--it's the first or second question the account setup genie asks. But in this case that's still probabl...

Daily Interest on Mortgage Accounts
I have tried to set up my Mortgage account many times, but there appears to be no option for Interest calculated on a daily basis. Is anyone aware of an option or work- around? Very frustrating, as Money calculates it Monthly, and I can never seem to get my mortgage account right! Any ideas appreciated. In microsoft.public.money, Wazza wrote: > >I have tried to set up my Mortgage account many times, >but there appears to be no option for Interest calculated >on a daily basis. Is anyone aware of an option or work- >around? Very frustrating, as Money calculates it >...

Amortization table problem
I am trying to set up a dynamic amortization schedule that allows me t change the loan variables (interest rate, length of loan, amount, etc. I am using the PPMT and IPMT functions to calculated the principal an interest payments for each period. My model covers a 30 year tim horizon. The problem occurs when I set the loan time less than 30 years. Fo example, for a 20 year loan I have a line that counts 1, 2, 3, ..., 20 0, 0, to tell the PPMT and IPMT equations which period to calculate. But when it reaches year 21, a zero feeds into the PPMT equation fo time period, resulting in a #NUM...

Loan amortization #2
In the loan amortizaiton template, how do I change the settings so that the payments are calculated as being paid at year-end rather than at the beginning of the period? ...

Finding interest
I'm sure this must be easy to do, but I've reviewed all of the interest-related functions and MS's help pages, tried a few out, and a workable solution keeps evading me. I'd appreciate any insight into the following: I need to find the dollar amount resulting at a specific time when principal has earned a simple rate of interest. For example: Jane Doe receives judgment against John Doe for $1,000, and the post- judgment rate is 5%. John does not pay Jane until four months after the judgment has been entered. How do I find the amount of interest that John has to pay, which...

Mortgage interest rates
Hi, I'm building a spreadsheet to monitor the status of my mortgag repayments. Each monthly payment is part interest and part repayment so that eac month the outstanding amount reduces and therefore the interest an repayment parts change each month. The calculation refers to a fixed cell called interest_rate. If th interest rate changes, how do I stop the cells showing the payment already made recalculating at the new interest rate? Thanks Sand -- sreidp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sreidpe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

amortization tables
how do i create amortization tables in Excel 2003 You can either create one yourself with Excel's financial functions; see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011117451033.aspx or use one of many templates, like these: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=amortization&av=TPL000 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mpho" <Mpho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39A31A72-2793-402D-A1D1-FA45B6D64920@microsoft.com... | how do i create amortization tables in Excel 2003 ...

AMORTIZATION
I WOULD LIKE TO GET A AMORTIZATION SCHEDULE. DOES WORKS (VERSION 7) ALLOW ME TO DO THIS. ANY HELP APPRECIATED crabby Please don't SHOUT. It hurts my eyes and is entirely unnecessary. If Works version 7 has a spreadsheet component, yes, it can be used to generate an amortization table. "CRABBY" <mcrabby@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00dd01c3577d$e0c63340$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I WOULD LIKE TO GET A AMORTIZATION SCHEDULE. DOES WORKS > (VERSION 7) ALLOW ME TO DO THIS. ...

Amortization of Fannie Mae Bonds
Does Money 2004 have the capability to handle Amortization Factors or Amortized Values for bonds, such as Fannie Mae. The Money Help screen (Bonds) acknowledges that the FNMA bonds will return principle, and a Return of Capital transaction can be entered. However, the transaction does not seem to have the correct effect on either Market Value or Cost Basis. Does the Return of Capital transaction have any effect on these values? -- Michael Gordon MVP "Frank S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:018c01c3a7c9$a2b8c8f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... &g...

amortization
What are the benefit(s) of creating an amortization schedule in MS Excel 07? <kmack1982@gmail.com> wrote... >What are the benefit(s) of creating an amortization schedule in MS >Excel 07? As opposed to doing it manually with paper, pencil and an 80 year old printed table of compound interest rate accumulation factors? Homework? ...

loan amortization schedule #2
I am looking for a template to plug-in the payment, loan amount, interest rate and term for a loan to get a amortization table. Also if one of the four above are missing it will calculate the missing number. ...

Another interesting thing - since the MS updates
Getting reports from people that have automatic updates enabled on their workstations, that people are reporting they are being sent WINMAIL.DAT, this only started after Tuesday this week. None of them reporting this issue on Monday or before - and they were sending the same file types... Seems to be happening with Outlook 2003 and 2007, fully patched... -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email a...

Help with amortization template
I have used the Amortization template but would like to adjust it so that it automatically fills in the missing value. If I have 3 of the 4 values (note amount, term, payment and interest rate) it would fill in the missing value and create an amortization table. How do I do this? Thanks. In cells A1:F1, enter Pmt # Note Amount Term Payment Interest Rate Principal In Cells A2:F2, enter the formulas: (Note that these formulas will return errors initially - the errors will resolve when you have entered three of the four items) =ROW()-1 =PV(E2/12,C2,D2) =NPER(E2/12,D2,B2) =PMT(E2/12,C2,B2)...

Exchange fees when you sell a stock???
I have 2004 deluxe and am trying to enter some sell of stock but MS Money doesn't calculate the exchange fee so the total is never right. And if I Manually change the total amount it automatically changes the commission amount. Is there a way to calculate exchange fees or is there a way to manually enter amounts without having MS Money do it's own calculation? Well, I'm not fully sure what your issue is. But you can enter the exchange fee in the commission field FIRST enter the total amount of the transaction SECOND, enter the quantity sold LAST and let Money calculate the...

Amortization table
I would like to create a macro that creates an amortization table. Something like putting in the present value, rate, and number of months then have excel use as many rows as necessary to output the princ/int values. Can this be done? Is there a sample somewhere that does anything like this? Why not try recording and then changing rows to a variable controlled by years in a cell/12 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bradley M. Small" <BSmall@XNOSPAMXmjsi.com> wrote in message news:OcAFd9u%23DHA.2480@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I would like to create a ma...

Entering Savings, or Cash Account Interest
How is interest earned by a money market or brokerage cash account entered, so the program can calculate interest rate and amount earned? Up to now, I use the 'Deposit" tab, and enter the amount and call it "Interest" but it seems to me that there should be a drop down menu that lists "interest or dividend" like in the investment accounts so the program can calculate earnings. The way I do it, it just seem like another deposit, which it is not. -- Dave Schwartz Commack, NY Well, it's not just another deposit, quite. You should categorize the income as s...

Amortization of Prepaids
We have a fair number of prepaid invoices amortized over time. Currently these invoices are charged to a prepaid account, maintained in excel, then amortized to the expense account via journal entry each month. The problem with this process is that, when reviewing expense variances/trends, I cannot identify what each of the debits in the expense account represents without consulting the excel spreadsheet. Does GP provide the ability to spread the expense to different periods from within the purchasing module? This is the only potential solution I can think of where the link between ...

Beware Loan Amortization report
Yet another report that doesn't do what it says it does... Env: M04 Deluxe. Loan Transaction report set to include transactions from register and to show "Paid from account". Instead of the Paid From account, it shows the loan account name for the loan you are reporting on. How helpful. Does anybody actually test this stuff in any rigorous way? I understand how intermittent hangs and corruption problems and so forth are hard to test for. But that the options in a customize dialog do what they say they do? ...

mortgage amortization error
I made a large extra principal payment on my mortgage. MS Money produced an updated amortization schedule showing the new principal payment would be a much larger percentage of my total payment (that is, each payment would include much less interest than before). The actual allocation for the next payment on July 1 followed the original amortization schedule rather than the new one. In dollars, in June my monthly payment of $870 included $584 in principal. In July--after the large extra payment--the amortization schedule showed the July payment would be about $710 in princi...

I'm getting my e-mail 1 day late?
Microsoft Outlook seems to be filtering the date that it will download my e-mail. On Thurday I received my Wednesday e-mail. On Friday I'll recive my Thurday e-mail etc. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? I've checked the Outlook filter and can see no filter that would cause this problem. I'm using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Hoping for a reply Regards Brian Yes, fix your system time. You are posting one day from the future ;-) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003...