Need to separate and rearrange names

How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the text
it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.

See Chip Pearson's site for rearranging multiple permutations of names.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:43:01 -0700, Nadine <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
>Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
>Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the text
>it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.

0
Gord
4/1/2010 9:03:12 PM
Try

=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

--

HTH

Bob

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
> text
> it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.

0
Bob
4/1/2010 9:04:15 PM
Assuming there is no space following the comma (both your examples show
that), give this formula a try...

=MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
> text
> it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.

0
Rick
4/1/2010 9:14:22 PM
=MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

"Nadine" wrote:

> How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the text
> it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
Actually, if your data could be mixed (some with a space after the comma and
some without one), then you can use this formula to handle both of those
conditions...

=TRIM(MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Assuming there is no space following the comma (both your examples show
> that), give this formula a try...
>
> =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
>> Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
>> Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
>> text
>> it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.

0
Rick
4/1/2010 9:17:46 PM
Perfect!  THank you so much.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Try
>
> =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,99))&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> > Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> > Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
> > text
> > it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
>

> .

This leaves lots of extra space between the two names.  Gord Dibben's formula
worked perfect.  Thanks for taking a stab at it though.  I appreciate it.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

> =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
>

> "Nadine" wrote:
>
> > How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> > Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> > Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the text
> > it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
This one leaves lots of spaces between the first and last name.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Assuming there is no space following the comma (both your examples show
> that), give this formula a try...
>
> =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> > Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> > Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
> > text
> > it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
>
> .

That was supposed to say Bob Phillips' post worked perfect.

"Nadine" wrote:

> This leaves lots of extra space between the two names.  Gord Dibben's formula
> worked perfect.  Thanks for taking a stab at it though.  I appreciate it.
>
> "Teethless mama" wrote:
>
> > =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
> >

> > "Nadine" wrote:
> >
> > > How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> > > Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> > > Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the text
> > > it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
This works.  Thanks.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Actually, if your data could be mixed (some with a space after the comma and
> some without one), then you can use this formula to handle both of those
> conditions...
>
> =TRIM(MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> > Assuming there is no space following the comma (both your examples show
> > that), give this formula a try...
> >
> > =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
> >
> > --
> > Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >

> > "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> How do you take Last,First and change it to First Last?
> >> Ex: Joe,John needs to be rewritten to John Doe.
> >> Using Excel 2003 and having the formula be in a different cell than the
> >> text
> >> it is converting so that the original text remains unchanged.
> >
> .

You were lucky, I was about to write to my MP <bg>

--

> That was supposed to say Bob Phillips' post worked perfect.
>
> "Nadine" wrote:
>
>> This leaves lots of extra space between the two names.  Gord Dibben's
>> formula
>> worked perfect.  Thanks for taking a stab at it though.  I appreciate it.
>>
>> "Teethless mama" wrote:
>>
>> > =MID(A1&" "&A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

0
Bob

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

User changes last name
I have a network user with an associated mailbox. The user's name is jsmith and the Exchange alias is jsmith. This user has a new last name now, jjones.The user wants her email address to reflect the new name. She also wants to have any mail that goes to her old address forwarded to the new address. Can I just rename some things or do I have to create another userid and create the new mailbox and import all the email into the new mailbox and forward the old email to the new one. That senario would also cause the user to get a default profile on the desktop which I want to try to av...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

Defined names
Hi there I have defined many names and would like to print out the list of the names with the cells they are referencing Does anyone know if I can do this Thanks very much Tim Insert / Name / Paste / Paste List -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Tim" <tim.elhatton@mnp.ca&...

VBA code to run macro in certain file based on name of file in cel
I am trying to come up with code that will run a macro in a workbook where the path and name of the workbook are in a cell reference. I have tried the following with no luck. The path to the file is located in cell F36 of worksheet, "Customize" and the name of the file is located in cell F42. The name of the macro is "ClearTotalSavings". Any help from one of you gurus would sure be appreciated. Application.Run "'" & Workbooks(Sheets("Customize").Range("F36").Value) & "\" & Sheets("Customize").R...

Need Help Despertly!

Field with both first name and last name
I have a table where the field PRODUCTION_DESIGNER is composed of a persons first and last name with a single space between them, for example "David Henderson" is in the contents. Select this field and truncate this to the initials of the first and last name and place into another field leaving the original field untouched. The new field would have "DH" as its contents. Thank you Use the expression Left(Production_Designer,1) & Mid(Production_Designer,Instr(Production_Designer," ")+1,1) If you want to do this in an update query UPDATE [Your Table ...

Plug in needed

Publishing charts
We are using Excel to manipulate some real time data then publish the updated results every 15 minutes to the Internet. I am publishing charts using Excel's Save as Web Page feature, but then only want to use the images of the charts as an included image in the actual web pages. The images end up with names like "xyz_89654_image001.gif". The "image001.gif" part I don't have a problem with - as long as there is only one image in each subdirectory, that will be it, and the xyz comes from the workbook name. It's the number in the middle that I have real prob...

Naming a Chart
Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA states that naming an object requires selecting the object (such as a chart), typing the new name in the Name Box, and pressing Enter. This does work for a shape but not a chart. When I select a chart and attempt to enter anything in the Name Box, any entry is not enabled and therefore nothing happens. How can I assign a name to a chart??? Hold the Shift key (or the Ctrl key), and click on the chart to select it. Then, type a name in the Name Box, and press the Enter key. William Bartusek wrote: > Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA states tha...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...