Need help with ISNA, INDEX, MATCH

Follow
Email
I am trying to write a formula using the ISNA for finding the name to an ID.
In Sheet 1 cell E2, I tried the following
formula...=IF(D2>0,INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH('Sheet1'!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"")

On Sheet 2 the ID is in column A but I need the name of the ID that is found
in column F.  If the ID in column D on Sheet1 is blank, I want the name on
Sheet 1 to be blank.  If the ID in column D on SHeet 1 is not found in column
A on Sheet 2, then I want the result to be "Invalid ID"

Thank you.
0
Reply Utf 4/5/2010 6:31:28 PM

Begin where you left off:
=IF(D2>0,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid
ID"),"")
Or
=IF(D2>0,IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,Sheet1!D2),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid
ID"),"")
But since this is on HSeet1, le us simplify to
=IF(D2>0,IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,Sheet1!D2),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid"),"")
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to write a formula using the ISNA for finding the name to an
> ID.
> In Sheet 1 cell E2, I tried the following
> formula...=IF(D2>0,INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH('Sheet1'!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"")
>
> On Sheet 2 the ID is in column A but I need the name of the ID that is
> found
> in column F.  If the ID in column D on Sheet1 is blank, I want the name on
> Sheet 1 to be blank.  If the ID in column D on SHeet 1 is not found in
> column
> A on Sheet 2, then I want the result to be "Invalid ID"
>
> Thank you.

0
Reply Bernard 4/5/2010 7:10:49 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Begin where you left off:
> =IF(D2>0,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid
> ID"),"")
> Or
> =IF(D2>0,IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,Sheet1!D2),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(Sheet1!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid
> ID"),"")
> But since this is on HSeet1, le us simplify to
> =IF(D2>0,IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,Sheet1!D2),INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH(D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"Invalid"),"")
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>
> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to write a formula using the ISNA for finding the name to an
> > ID.
> > In Sheet 1 cell E2, I tried the following
> > formula...=IF(D2>0,INDEX(Sheet2!A:F,MATCH('Sheet1'!D2,Sheet2!A:A,0),6),"")
> >
> > On Sheet 2 the ID is in column A but I need the name of the ID that is
> > found
> > in column F.  If the ID in column D on Sheet1 is blank, I want the name on
> > Sheet 1 to be blank.  If the ID in column D on SHeet 1 is not found in
> > column
> > A on Sheet 2, then I want the result to be "Invalid ID"
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> .

0
Reply Utf 4/5/2010 8:38:12 PM
Follow
Email

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Make typing "jump" to matching item(s) in drop-down list?
Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump" to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair," can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down list? This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make Access do it--can Excel? If you show the Control toolbox toolbar (view|Toolbars), you can add a Combobox from that toolbar. Rightclick on it and choose properties. You'll be able to set the linkedcell, listfillrange, style, and matchentry properties to...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

need help badly

I need Help

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Index/Match to look up a value in one workbook and insert it into.
I need to be able to look up a value in a range on one Excel workbook using a code in another workbook. Can I use Index/Match for this function; looking for the value in one workbook and inserting it into another workbook? Currently, I use Vlookup, which is cumbersom and awkward and prone to error. Thank you. You can use =index(match()), but I think you may have as much trouble with that as you have with =vlookup(). You may want to look at the formula tips that Debra Dalgleish shares: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html Mayb...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...