Display date in spanish

  • Follow

I am using a spreadsheet in a mail merge letter in Word.  The front side is
in English and the back side in Spanish.  I need to display the mailing date
in Spanish.  Is there a way to convert the English text date (December 15,
2009) into Spanish?
I've tried using 2 cells - one for the English and one formatted with a
"Date" format and changing the language to Spanish (Mexico).  The date
appears in Spanish in Excel but the number format of the date (12/15/2009)
appears on the letter.
0
Reply Utf 12/16/2009 4:21:01 AM

Hi

"mbparks" <mbparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a spreadsheet in a mail merge letter in Word.  The front side is
> in English and the back side in Spanish.  I need to display the mailing
> date
> in Spanish.  Is there a way to convert the English text date (December 15,
> 2009) into Spanish?
> I've tried using 2 cells - one for the English and one formatted with a
> "Date" format and changing the language to Spanish (Mexico).  The date
> appears in Spanish in Excel but the number format of the date (12/15/2009)
> appears on the letter.

Converet dates to datestrings, p.e. with formula
=TEXT(DateReference,"SpanishDateFormat")

When gathering data for Mail Merge, Word doesn't convert strings like it
does with dates or numbers.

Arvi Laanemets

0
Reply Arvi 12/16/2009 6:08:24 AM

I understand your formula to read as if "DateReference" is the cell
containing the date.  Is this correct?
I am not sure how to indicate "SpanishDateFormat".  I put the formula with
this text in it but got a #VALUE? error.

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote:

> Hi
>

> "mbparks" <mbparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using a spreadsheet in a mail merge letter in Word.  The front side is
> > in English and the back side in Spanish.  I need to display the mailing
> > date
> > in Spanish.  Is there a way to convert the English text date (December 15,
> > 2009) into Spanish?
> > I've tried using 2 cells - one for the English and one formatted with a
> > "Date" format and changing the language to Spanish (Mexico).  The date
> > appears in Spanish in Excel but the number format of the date (12/15/2009)
> > appears on the letter.
>
> Converet dates to datestrings, p.e. with formula
> =TEXT(DateReference,"SpanishDateFormat")
>
> When gathering data for Mail Merge, Word doesn't convert strings like it
> does with dates or numbers.
>

> Arvi Laanemets
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 12/16/2009 6:52:01 AM

>I understand your formula to read as if "DateReference" is the cell
> containing the date.  Is this correct?

Yes

> I am not sure how to indicate "SpanishDateFormat".  I put the formula with
> this text in it but got a #VALUE? error.

The format string like the one when you use when formatting the date with
Custom format. P.e.

=TEXT(TODAY(),"dd.mm.yyyy") returns '16.12.2009'

=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm") returns 'December'

=TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm, d. yyyy.") returns 'December, 16. 2009.'
etc.

Arvi Laanemets

0
Reply Arvi 12/16/2009 7:27:14 AM

So I think the question was how to get Diciembre instead of December.

Presumably a matter of setting the Windows Regional Options (in Control
Panel, not in Excel) to Spanish?
--
David Biddulph

"Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> "mbparks" <mbparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I understand your formula to read as if "DateReference" is the cell
>> containing the date.  Is this correct?
>
> Yes
>

>> I am not sure how to indicate "SpanishDateFormat".  I put the formula
>> with
>> this text in it but got a #VALUE? error.
>

> The format string like the one when you use when formatting the date with
> Custom format. P.e.
>
> =TEXT(TODAY(),"dd.mm.yyyy") returns '16.12.2009'
>

> =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm") returns 'December'
>
> =TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm, d. yyyy.") returns 'December, 16. 2009.'
> etc.
>

> Arvi Laanemets

0
Reply David 12/16/2009 10:17:36 AM