Count number of instances

  • Follow

Need a formaula  to look at an entire column and count the number of
different times (say date of product)

Thanks
--
ce
0

Do you mean a unique count..=COUNT() will give you a total count of numeric
values (including date, time, numbers etc; ).

Why dont you post few samples...

"Curtis" wrote:

> Need a formaula  to look at an entire column and count the number of
> different times (say date of product)
>
> Thanks
> --
> ce
0
Reply Utf 6/4/2010 2:47:46 PM

Yes sorry unique count.

If I have Products in column b

apples
apples
peach
grape
lemon

I want to count the number of unique products as in this case the result
would be 4
--
ce

"Jackpot" wrote:

> Do you mean a unique count..=COUNT() will give you a total count of numeric
> values (including date, time, numbers etc; ).
>
> Why dont you post few samples...
>
> "Curtis" wrote:
>
> > Need a formaula  to look at an entire column and count the number of
> > different times (say date of product)
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > ce
0
Reply Utf 6/4/2010 3:04:22 PM

Try the below.

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B20<>"")/COUNTIF(B1:B20,B1:B20&""))

"Curtis" wrote:

> Yes sorry unique count.
>
> If I have Products in column b
>
> apples
> apples
> peach
> grape
> lemon
>
> I want to count the number of unique products as in this case the result
> would be 4
> --
> ce
>

> "Jackpot" wrote:
>
> > Do you mean a unique count..=COUNT() will give you a total count of numeric
> > values (including date, time, numbers etc; ).
> >
> > Why dont you post few samples...
> >
> > "Curtis" wrote:
> >
> > > Need a formaula  to look at an entire column and count the number of
> > > different times (say date of product)
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > ce
0
Reply Utf 6/4/2010 3:12:12 PM

If you wanted to count the number of unique entries in that range, you could use
a formula like:

=sumproduct((a1:a10<>"")/countif(a1:a10,a1:a10&""))
(you can only use the entire column in xl2007)

--

Dave Peterson
0

(page loaded in 0.095 seconds)