Compound Interest Rate or Growth Rate

Is there a function in Excell that can be used to calculate an investment"s
compound growth rate?  If so what is it and how do you use it?

For instance if someone invested $10,000 in 1985 and that investment was
worth $18,000 today is there a function in Excell that can be used to
determine that  investment's compound growth rate?

Hi,

Try this.  E11 has 18,000 and D11 has 10,000.  D11 has 2010 and D10 has 1985

=(E11/E10)^(1/(D11-D10))-1

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP

"1944-71222" <1944-71222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a function in Excell that can be used to calculate an
> investment"s
> compound growth rate?  If so what is it and how do you use it?
>
> For instance if someone invested $10,000 in 1985 and that investment was
> worth $18,000 today is there a function in Excell that can be used to
> determine that  investment's compound growth rate?

0
Ashish
3/15/2010 2:27:22 AM
You want the Rate function, as in:
=rate(2010-1985,0,10000,-18000)

Answer: 2% per year

Regards,
Fred

"1944-71222" <1944-71222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a function in Excell that can be used to calculate an
> investment"s
> compound growth rate?  If so what is it and how do you use it?
>
> For instance if someone invested $10,000 in 1985 and that investment was
> worth $18,000 today is there a function in Excell that can be used to
> determine that  investment's compound growth rate?

0
Fred

Calculate a daily rate
Hello. I have a query that I am trying to use to calculate a daily cost rate for something. I am trying to figure out how to take the date of the first occurance each type of cost (there a 5 different ones) and divide the total cost to date by the number of days from the first occurance to today. I have a "Date" field, a "CostType" field, an "IndividualCost" field, and a "TotalCost" field. I am using a SumQuery that Groups by CostType. I just don't know how to handle the date portion to get a daily cost rate. Thanks in advance for the help. If...

Compounding Interest
How would I make a Fx. that would add $500 + 4% interest each mouth? A1 B1 C1 ie 500 +4% = =+500 +4% = =+500 +4% = Hi Jason in C1 put =A1*1.04 In A2 put =C1 Copy both down as far as you ned. "Jason" wrote: > How would I make a Fx. that would add $500 + 4% interest each mouth? > A1 B1 C1 > ie 500 +4% = > =+500 +4% = > =+500 +4% = that is not adding the $500 add each mouth, it needs to be A.500 + 4%, than add B.500, and then A+B+4%, and so on "Michael" wrote: > Hi Jason > ...

Tracking Stocks of Interest
I am using Money Plus H&B. How can I keep stocks in a watch list to see their performance without owning the stock. I would like to see them in the Portfolio view. In microsoft.public.money, neil154 wrote: >I am using Money Plus H&B. > >How can I keep stocks in a watch list to see their performance without >owning the stock. I would like to see them in the Portfolio view. Create a "Watch account", and enter Buys into that. On the Portfolio, you can toggle ChangePortfolioView->ShowWatchAccounts to include or not include the watch accounts. Cal, So I ...

investment with compount interest
Hi, Can money 2005 help me keep track of my investment which matures after 6 years and gets a 8% interest compounded every 6 months? Thanks. Yes, you can track it as an Investment of type CD. No, Money won't add any particular value like automatically computing and recording interest earned. "saurabh" <saurabh9@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1099240548.898525.243100@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Can money 2005 help me keep track of my investment which matures after > 6 years and gets a 8% interest compounded every 6 months? > > Thanks. > ...

How Can I Track Home Equity LOC Interest and Principal?
Using Money Plus Home & Business. I created a HELOC account and have a simple question. The account register has one column named "Charge" and another named "Credit". When I withdraw from the account, the xaction shows up on the "Charge" column, when I deposit into the account the xaction shows up in the "Credit" column. Here's my question: How can I track my interest and principal payments in my HELOC account? If I have an outstanding balance and make a deposit, of say, $100.00 into the account, that $100 deposit gets put into the "...

How to get account interest rate calc daily or qrtly?
Where in money can you adjust the calcualtion of interest for savings accounts, term deposits etc? I have some accounts that interest is calcualted daily and other calculated monthly? thanks Scott ...

Formula For Calculating DB Growth
I've heard there's a formula that would help you estimate the DB growth rate/size, based on the number customers, items, transactions, etc... Anybody can point me to where I can find it? Thanks, Probably best to just take the weekly growth over 6 weeks, and use the average for your estimation. "Tom Bombadill" wrote: > I've heard there's a formula that would help you estimate the DB growth > rate/size, based on the number customers, items, transactions, etc... > > Anybody can point me to where I can find it? > > Thanks, > > > ...

Mortgage Interest (Calculated)
I used the wizard to set up my home mortgage. It is a direct debit from my Credit Union savings account. As I am preparing for taxes I ran through the Tax Estimator and there is $0 showing for Itemized Deductions, #4 Mortgage Interest. I went to the Bill Summary page, went to edit the payment, then the split and it shows Mortgage Interested as (Calculated). Why doesn’t this pick up on the Tax Estimator, Itemized Deductions, #4 Mortgage Interest automatically? What do I do to force it? Doug "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E84D4AE-436B...

need help..Simple, compound, complex, compound-complex examples
Need to write a paragraph on the four sentence types...Just need to have an example of each type....please someone help!! Thanks On 30/05/2010 4:18 PM, Peggylynne wrote: > Need to write a paragraph on the four sentence types...Just need to have an > example of each type....please someone help!! Thanks See http://www.eslbee.com/sentences.htm and some of the other sites that appear when you google for the subject of your post. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply to the newsgroup unless you want to obtain my services on a professional basis. ...

compound document
What is the definition of a compound document in MS Office. Also what is object linking and embedding. And are the following items compound documents within the Microsoft Office framework:An external Excel spreadsheet linked into a Word document and A Web page "Cherie" <Cherie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C4D0AA2-22A3-42EC-9052-43383540C8E7@microsoft.com... > What is the definition of a compound document in MS Office. Also what is > object linking and embedding. And are the following items compound > documents > within th...

compound rate
P=1000 N=5 (years) P*(1+R)^N=1403 How do I get the value of R Thanx -- Dr. Sachin Wagh MBBS, DHA, DPH "Dr. Sachin Wagh" <DrSachinWagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C2D48B1-89EA-4CEC-9188-B40AE95413F9@microsoft.com... > P=1000 > N=5 (years) > P*(1+R)^N=1403 > How do I get the value of R The easy way is Tools > Goal Seek Another way is that R= ((1403/P)^(1/N))-1 -- David Biddulph R= ((1403/P)^(1/N))-1 solved the problem thanx a ton David! "David Biddulph" wrote: > "Dr. Sachin Wagh" <DrSachinWagh@discussions.m...

Show growth in the bar chart
Hi, I would like to create a bar chart from the following data: First period: 71 Second period: 110 Growth from first period to second period: 110-71 = 39 - Assume that the growth of 39 is attributed to the two drivers. - The first driver contributes 20 and the second contributes 19. The chart would look like: 71 110 39 20 19 +----+ +----+ +-----+ | | | | | | | | | | +------+ +-----+ | | | | ...

Compounding Formula problems
Does Anyone know a formula for Calculating monthly compounding and Semi annual compounding, but not in advance. Thank you Ryan goto help>contents>functions>financial functions> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Ryan Sheepwash" <RyanSheepwash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E435AB3-3A18-4F16-A254-3BFAE1030B01@microsoft.com... > Does Anyone know a formula for Calculating monthly compounding and Semi > annual compounding, but not in advance. > > Thank you > Ryan Are you looking for the monthly payment? If so,...

Compound interest
I have a money market investment account where quarterly interest is compounded, ie added to the investment amount. I have tried entering this as 're-invest interest' but this seems to reduce the account balance to just the interest amount. i.e. the original investment amount has vanished. Using money 98. Best regards, Pete Wow. Money98. An Oldie. Not a goodie even the day it was released. Until M05 was released, I thought it was the worst version ever. Anyway, enough history... Let's review the bidding here step-by-step. You have created an Investment Account, named someth...

tracking exchange rates
Running M2005. While one can set a single currency exchange rate, it does not appear that Money supports exchange rate histories? Is that correct? If my base currency is US $ but I have both US $ and CAD $ assets, it would be nice to know how the change in the USD/CAD rate over the past year has impacted my networth as a function of time. In microsoft.public.money, Dave Programmer wrote: >Running M2005. While one can set a single currency exchange rate, it >does not appear that Money supports exchange rate histories? Is that >correct? Yes. >I my base currency is US $ but I ha...

Formula for figuring compound interest
Hi, I need a formula for figuring out a retirement saving plan for my Grandson. He wants to start by depositing $250.00 initial investment and adding $50.00 per month for 40 years. If he earns 5.0% interest compounded monthly how much will he have in 40 years? Any help with this formula will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Starlin Starlin, =FV(5%/12,40*12,-50,-250) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Msnews.Microsoft.Com" <starlin@starband.net> wrote in message news:%23asdAQgSHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I need a formula for figuring out a retirement sa...

simple interest formula in excel
I would like to know the formula to be used for calculation of Simple interest in excel . For compount interest it is Fv as i gather There are many formula for calculating compound interest by the month o by the day etc. The calculation for simple interest is the amount of loan outstandin times the interest rate for the period, which, for a 10% rate charge monthly would give you Loan outstanding * 10 / 1200 However, you might need to check the law in your country, and the ensure that no interest is charged on any previous interest debited. This could occur if a payment were not received...

rating files on WMP
I like rating my own music on my WMP, though the 5 star system seems a little limiting to me. i want to be able to rate at 1/4, 1/2 stars etc. I've tried. is this possible? might it be possible in the future? The "pre-rated" files have these rating, yet i personally can't rate my own music that way. i really want to be able to rate in fractions of a star. who can help or advise? apparently i'm using WMP 9.2. -- Media Player much preferred over iTunes Try this link for more info. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/m...

over time rates formula
Hi, I am trying to calculate an overtime rate in an excel spreadsheet. Here is the function I created. Can you see what I did wrong? =IF(SUM($H$3:H8)<=8,H8*$D$69,(SUM($H$3:H8))-8)*($D$69*1.5)+((8-(SUM($H$3:H7))*($D$69))) The logic is correct but it's giving me a negative number. Please help. Kimber Well, if you're getting a negative number, I'd suggest the logic isn't correct. It's hard to tell, though, unless you indicate what H3:H8 are. If SUM(H3:H8) is total hours (though the True branch of your IF() statement makes that seem unlikely), you can calculate ...

Horse Ratings
I obtained an Excel spreadsheet from a free download sometime ago. Basically, by typing in a rating for a horse, it calculates the chance of a horse in fractional odds. I find it very handy after having rated my own horses. I would like to find out the formula used, but cannot find it amongst the spreadsheet. As far as I know the spreadsheet is not protected. On the first sheet where all the calculations are done, one cannot do any formatting of cells. This is owing to the options being greyed out. (I thought it might be useful just in case the formula text is white). The spreads...

Calculating Billing, hours * rate
Is there a way to calculate billing? I have a spread sheet with column C for 'time in' and column D for 'time out' and column E for the difference (hours worked). These columns are formatted as time. Column F is the billing rate expressed as currency. I'm trying to calculate the billing by multiplying the hours worked times the hourly billing rate(Col E * Col F), but it's not working. Can this calculation be done in Excel? If so, then how... Thank you Hi Tony See this page http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm And the topic page http://www.cpearson.com/exc...

Averaging compound numbers
Is there a formula for obtaining an average of a series of compound numbers, such as blood pressure readinags, e.g. 140/80? What form do you want the results in? If XXX/YYY then one way is to array enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN): =TEXT(AVERAGE(--LEFT(A1:A20,3)),"0") & "/" & TEXT(AVERAGE(--MID(A1:A20,5,3)),"0") In article <ePVqVgYUEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Old Red One" <oldred1@charter.net> wrote: > Is there a formula for obtaining an average of a series of compound numbers, > such as blood pressur...

For Publisher MVP's and anyone interested
In the past few days I was creating a lodge meeting location map using Publisher 2000. Streets, Avenues, names of same, a few filled rectangles representing buildings etc. Went to do a print and a save file when Publisher froze up. Did a warm boot, started Publisher again and attempted to open my file. Publisher refused to open it (forgot error message). Looked in the folder where the file was stored and sure enough it was there but just wouldn't open. Also was a new second file with an alphanumeric name and ended in tmp. Tried to open it with Publisher and it wouldn't open. Here&#...

Unrelated to RMS, but still interesting...
Yes, this has nothing to do with RMS, but it's pretty interesting: http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=8175512 Believe it or not, you can actually receive a free iPod by following the link above. Cost me a subscription to Columbia House DVD Club (which I already cancelled), but I figure that it's a pretty sweet deal, considering I got 5 DVDs and an iPod for $20. Take it for what it's worth - just wanted to put the opportunity out there. Hope everyone's having a good day. I heard about that already. Thought there must be some catch. Maybe I was wrong, ...

A really interesting Outlook problem!
Hello everybody! I've got an interesting Outlook file (112 KB RAR-ed) which shows the following behavior: when you open it (i tried Outlook 2003), it shows up OK, but no item could be deleted or moved. It tells "Errors have been detected in your Outlook data file, close all programs and use the Inbox repair tool". But scanpst (Inbox Repair Tool) finds absolutely no problem even with -logv 9, the most detailed one. What can you suggest me to do? Here is the link to the file: http://www.anovikov.com/StrangeFile.rar Are there any Microsoft people out here? By looking at...