cell with formula is not automatically updating - Excel Office 200

I have an excel file, one column has 200 cells with same formula.  I have
been using it for a year, data automatically updates.  However, recently,
after the files got changed hands from one pc to another, the cells in that
column does not update anymore.  I have to press F2, enter for each cell in
order to get each cell refreshed.
1. Does anyone has any idea what is the common cause for such problem, i.e.
failing to auto refresh?
2. What could be done to enable the automatic refresh without having to
press F2 for each cell everytime?

Hi,

I suspect calculation has been changed to manual.

E2007
On the Ribbon click the 'Formulas' tab and then 'Calculation options' and
change back to automatic.

E2003
Tools|Options|Calculation tab -  Select Automatic

If it is this and your wondering how it happened it's because Excel
remembers the caluclation method of the first workbook opened in a session.

--
Mike

question.

"Robert C" wrote:

> I have an excel file, one column has 200 cells with same formula.  I have
> been using it for a year, data automatically updates.  However, recently,
> after the files got changed hands from one pc to another, the cells in that
> column does not update anymore.  I have to press F2, enter for each cell in
> order to get each cell refreshed.
> 1. Does anyone has any idea what is the common cause for such problem, i.e.
> failing to auto refresh?
> 2. What could be done to enable the automatic refresh without having to
> press F2 for each cell everytime?
Hi,

Select the column and press Ctrl+H.  In the find box, type = and in the
replace box also, type =

--
Regards,

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Robert C" <RobertC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an excel file, one column has 200 cells with same formula.  I have
> been using it for a year, data automatically updates.  However, recently,
> after the files got changed hands from one pc to another, the cells in
> that
> column does not update anymore.  I have to press F2, enter for each cell
> in
> order to get each cell refreshed.
> 1. Does anyone has any idea what is the common cause for such problem,
> i.e.
> failing to auto refresh?
> 2. What could be done to enable the automatic refresh without having to
> press F2 for each cell everytime?

0
Ashish

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

Adding weekdays in a date formula
How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. A1 = 1/1/10 If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS (excluding weekends), what formular would I use? =(A1+80) does't work... You were close to the name... =WORKDAY(A1,80) Note that you can add a third arguement to this function to define holidays, if desired. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Handy" <Handy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D7071-1877-4CAE-A17D-05EE0FDD02AC@microsoft.com... > How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. > > A1 = 1/1/10 > > If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS...

Embedding <CR>'s in formulas eases eye strain.
Hey y'all, if didn't know this, I just discovered: You can embed internal carriage returns (i.e. Enter's) in a formula. Insert a <CR> into a cell with Alt-Enter, while in edit mode. I have many calls to home-grown functions (UDFs) which I pass up to dozens of parameters each. Worse, my params can be embedded functions, with params, themselves. So now my formulas look like: =MyFunc(Subfunc1(Subparam1.1,...), Subfunc2(Subparam2.1,...), Subfunc3...etc.) instead of the following mess. (Text wrap may be altered a bit by Google by the time you read this): =My...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

out of memory problems with Outlook 2002 after Office Update
Yesterday I ran the Office Update through the Microsoft web site, and now my Outlook 2002 (Windows XP), keeps displaying the "Out of Memory or low on System Resources" message. I reboot, close all other tasks, and even check my CPU usage, and my system is ok, all other applications run fine. But with Outlook, I can basically do 1-2 tasks on a clean boot (i.e. check mail, read one message), then Outlook stops working. Can't read the calender, read an email or delete an email, just the same out of memoory message. Just to be safe, I have also run virus scan using the l...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

Formula in Marksheet #2
Hi all... I need help on a 'formula' for my students' marksheet. For them to pass the whole exam, a student MUST PASS 7 SUBJECTS from 3 groups. The grouping is like these : A) Must pass ALL 4 subjects in Group A - marks are in cells D7, F7, H7, J7 B) Must pass AT LEAST 2 OUT OF 3 subjects in Group B - marks are in cells L7, N7, P7 C) Must pass AT LEAST 1 OUT OF 2 subjects in Group C - marks are in cells R7, T7 Thank you so much something like? if count(d7,f7,h7,j7)<4,"bad","good") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.co...

outlook Office XP
Where do you set up the e-mail so when you open outlook, it will open with the inbox? Go to "tools", "options", "other (tab)", "advanced options (button)", and set the "startup in this folder" field to "Inbox". >-----Original Message----- >Where do you set up the e-mail so when you open outlook, >it will open with the inbox? >. > ...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

Create a script to automatically save received email...
Hi all, I'm trying to create a script that I can assign to a Rule that automatically saves the email based on Subject content as a txt file to a specified network folder. The Rule part is easy... but the part that has me scratching my head is the script! To do this would be an amazing help!!! Thanks in advance for any help. Ian. On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:49:03 -1000, IanFW <IanFW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I'm trying to create a script that I can assign to a Rule that > automatically > saves the email based on Subject content as a txt file to ...

Automatic data collection in Manufacturing
How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter information. What exactly is the setup on this? Anyone? "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC > processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter > information. What exactly is the setup on this? If you figure the answer, do post. I will be interested in knowing this too. Scott "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you ca...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

Exchange2000 system attendant won't start automatically
I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 member servers. I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member servers. The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain. I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member server to versions 2003. I am hesitant to start the process since there is an issue with the starting of the system attendant. Ever since t...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

An issue regarding the formula #2
Hi, It's OK to copy the formula from one cell to another one within the same sheet. How about that to copy the formula from one Excel file to another one? It seems only the value of that cell will be copied to that file but not the formula inside it. I even have tried to copy the corr. formula within that again but just the copied formula will not work successfully in there. -- HuaMin ...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...