Merge 1000+ cells into one

  • Follow

Good morning

I am really hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a worksheet with 1 column (A) and 1439 rows.  I need to combine all
1439 of these cells into one, using the following format:
A1 & "" & A2 & "" etc.

Naturally, doing this manually would take several hours (and be extremely
vulnerable to mistakes.)  Is there a method using VBA that I could do this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Paul
0
Reply Utf 3/23/2010 9:59:01 AM

Hi,

Try this

Sub pvans()
Dim TempString As String
Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1")
Set MyRange = sht.Range("A1:A1439")
For Each c In MyRange
    TempString = TempString & " " & c.Value
Next
Range("B1") = Trim(TempString)
End Sub
--
Mike

question.

"PVANS" wrote:

> Good morning
>
> I am really hoping someone can help me with this.
>
> I have a worksheet with 1 column (A) and 1439 rows.  I need to combine all
> 1439 of these cells into one, using the following format:
> A1 & "" & A2 & "" etc.
>
> Naturally, doing this manually would take several hours (and be extremely
> vulnerable to mistakes.)  Is there a method using VBA that I could do this?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Paul
0
Reply Utf 3/23/2010 10:27:02 AM

Hi Paul,

For  Column A, from row 1 to the last used row, try:
Sub Concat()
Dim MyString As String, i As Integer
With ActiveSheet
  For i = 1 To .Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
    MyString = MyString & """" & .Cells(i, 1).Value & """"
  Next
  .Cells(i, 1).Value = MyString
End With
End Sub

--
Cheers
macropod

"PVANS" <PVANS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9396295E-1A92-4FB9-9DCA-4BC1B7B0460C@microsoft.com...
> Good morning
>
> I am really hoping someone can help me with this.
>
> I have a worksheet with 1 column (A) and 1439 rows.  I need to combine all
> 1439 of these cells into one, using the following format:
> A1 & "" & A2 & "" etc.
>
> Naturally, doing this manually would take several hours (and be extremely
> vulnerable to mistakes.)  Is there a method using VBA that I could do this?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Paul
0
Reply macropod 3/23/2010 10:29:52 AM

Thanks Mike,

Brilliant as always, works perfectly.

Thanks too you to macropod - really appreciate the assistance

Cheers, Have a nice day

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try this
>
> Sub pvans()
> Dim TempString As String
> Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1")
> Set MyRange = sht.Range("A1:A1439")
> For Each c In MyRange
>     TempString = TempString & " " & c.Value
> Next
> Range("B1") = Trim(TempString)
> End Sub
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "PVANS" wrote:
>
> > Good morning
> >
> > I am really hoping someone can help me with this.
> >
> > I have a worksheet with 1 column (A) and 1439 rows.  I need to combine all
> > 1439 of these cells into one, using the following format:
> > A1 & "" & A2 & "" etc.
> >
> > Naturally, doing this manually would take several hours (and be extremely
> > vulnerable to mistakes.)  Is there a method using VBA that I could do this?
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas.
> >
> > Paul
0
Reply Utf 3/23/2010 11:32:02 AM

Glad i could help and thanks for the feedback
--
Mike

question.

"PVANS" wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> Brilliant as always, works perfectly.
>
> Thanks too you to macropod - really appreciate the assistance
>
> Cheers, Have a nice day
>
> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Try this
> >
> > Sub pvans()
> > Dim TempString As String
> > Set sht = Sheets("Sheet1")
> > Set MyRange = sht.Range("A1:A1439")
> > For Each c In MyRange
> >     TempString = TempString & " " & c.Value
> > Next
> > Range("B1") = Trim(TempString)
> > End Sub
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> > When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that
> > introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the
> > question.
> >

> > "PVANS" wrote:
> >
> > > Good morning
> > >
> > > I am really hoping someone can help me with this.
> > >
> > > I have a worksheet with 1 column (A) and 1439 rows.  I need to combine all
> > > 1439 of these cells into one, using the following format:
> > > A1 & "" & A2 & "" etc.
> > >
> > > Naturally, doing this manually would take several hours (and be extremely
> > > vulnerable to mistakes.)  Is there a method using VBA that I could do this?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any ideas.
> > >
> > > Paul
0
Reply Utf 3/23/2010 11:40:01 AM