insert a dash

I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a dash
after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the second
digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.

so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567

If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column B

0
Striker3070

Give this formula a try...

=REPLACE(A1,3-(LEN(A1)=5),0,"-")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Striker3070" <striker3070@qwest.net> wrote in message
> I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a
> dash after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the
> second digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.
>
> so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
> and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567
>
> If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column

Rick
5/5/2010 6:17:30 PM
And if you were looking for a VB solution, consider looping your cells using
a statement construction similar to this...

DashedText = Application.Replace(CellText, 3 + (LEN(CellText)=5),0,"-")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" <rick.newsNO.SPAM@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Give this formula a try...
>
> =REPLACE(A1,3-(LEN(A1)=5),0,"-")
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Striker3070" <striker3070@qwest.net> wrote in message
>> I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a
>> dash after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the
>> second digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.
>>
>> so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
>> and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567
>>
>> If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column

Rick
5/5/2010 6:32:04 PM
=if(len(a1)<=5,left(A1,1)&"-"&right(a1,len(a1)-1)
,left(a1,2)&"-"&right(a1,len(a1)-2))
--
Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.

"Striker3070" wrote:

> I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a dash
> after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the second
> digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.
>
> so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
> and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567
>
> If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column B
>
> .

You can also just format the cells:
[<100000]0-0000;00-00000

"Striker3070" wrote:

> I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a dash
> after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the second
> digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.
>
> so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
> and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567
>
> If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column B
>
> .

hi
since you posted in programming, perhaps a VB solution.....
Sub insertdash()
Dim r As Range, c As Range
Set r = Range("A2:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
For Each c In r
If Len(c) > 5 Then
    c.Value = Left(c, 2) & "-" & Right(c, Len(c) - 2)
    Else
    c.NumberFormat = "@" 'in case xl can interpret as a date
    c.Value = Left(c, 1) & "-" & Right(c, Len(c) - 1)
End If
Next c
End Sub

regards
FSt1

"Striker3070" wrote:

> I have a column of numbers, 5 digit up to 9 digit.  I need to insert a dash
> after the first number of any 5 digit number, and a dash after the second
> digit if the number is longer than 5 digits.
>
> so 12345 would need to become 1-2345
> and 1234567 would need to become 12-34567
>
> If my original numbers are in column A, I can make the new ones in Column B
>
> .

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Insert trigger

inserting hrs and minutes

Insert with a where condition

Insert

how to insert data in a table

insert downloads into power point

Insert a blank row

Insert dataset to another database

How do I insert a letter into an existing word document?
I am working on a large document that I need to add several letters that are on our letterhead. If I cut and paste the letter, the letterhead header becomes skewed. This is just one issue I'm having with the document! Also need to know how to merge 3 separate documents together once I insert the letters that I need! Help! What do you mean by "skewed"? To preserve the data from the header of the document, you will need to insert it into a Section of its own separated from the rest of the document by Next page Section breaks before and after it with the headers...

How do I insert backround into my picture inserts?
Could you please elaborate on your question, and give us details such as your version of Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "TAMOS" <TAMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1B3ABEC-F208-4A23-B695-9C0EEFBF649F@microsoft.com... > How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm How to Act Smart on Usenet http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered http:...

Inserting images into excel conditionally
I have a large product price list (1200 items) with one column for quantity. I would like excel to import the appropriate image for a product once the condition entered is that quantity is > 0. Is this possible? If so then please help. Thanks Pav One way http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html can be adapted to your situation -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Pav" <Pav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37DC7373-14E6-4F11-9136-71DC3AD93CC2@microsoft.com... > I have a large product price list (1200 items) with one column for quantity. > I would l...

How do I insert a reference to lookup and insert a name
How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type the letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I type the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2 etc etc look at VLOOKUP in Help. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Jan K" <Jan K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6CDAC92-DB48-49A7-803F-BF494F5221AB@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a > r...

Triggers after Insert
Hi, I'm having a temporary table in SQL Server 2005, which receives the data from external Orace DB. The data from Oracle DB inserts the data once in a month time. How to create a trigger which calls the storedprocedures, after all the data is get inserted to the temporary table, not for each row insertion. On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 04:01:21 GMT, "Visha" <u60840@uwe> wrote: >Hi, > I'm having a temporary table in SQL Server 2005, which receives the data >from external Orace DB. The data from Oracle DB inserts the data once in a >month time. >...

inserting a text into xml file
Hi friends, I am new to csharp and XML : fp=File.OpenText(server.mappath(".\\upload\\")+"test.txt"); string info=fp.readtoend(); string[] arinfo =new string[4]; char splitter = {'|','^'}; arinfo =info.split(splitter); for(int x=0;x<arinfo.length;x++) { response.write(arinfo[x]+"<br>"); a=arinfo[x]; xmltextwriter xwriter=new xmltextwriter("C:/XML/Data.xml",system.text.encoding.UTF8); xwriter.writestartdocument(true); xwriter.writestartelement("login"); xwriter.writeelementstring("usernam...

Insert eps image into Publisher 2003
Client created eps images in Illustrator. Said they have TIFF preview available. When the images are inserted into Publisher, they only appear as blank box. Rendered the document as a PDF and we can see the image but she needs to see the image in Publisher in order to modify, resize, etc. When inserting it, we get the converter window, but she needs it to stay in eps format in Publisher. Are there any settings in Publisher to change to allow the eps image to display in the Publisher document? -- maryj Are you using a post script printer? Pieces of an EPS graphic may appear to be missi...

ms publisher 2003 inserting graphic from the web
Have insall at work ms publisher and office 2000, now upgraded to 2003, in pub 2000 used to select insert graphic and options for access from web brought you to ms gallery page. In 2003, no dropdown menu shows the internet option. Have I lost my mind? or is it specific to the install on our mainframe. HELP. Need my graphics -- bruceL If you're talking about clipart, just search for whatever and it will automatically search the MS website. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Bruce" <Bruce@d...

TAble Insert
I have a person table that has id, firstname, lastname, address, city, state, zip. I have set all fields except id to have required = no and allow zero length = yes. But when I try the following query it will not insert the record because the firstname is not filled out. Any ideas? INSERT INTO person ( id, lastname, firstname, address, city, state, zip ) VALUES (1783, 'Hacienda La Daniela', '', '5310 SW 192 Avenue', 'Sw Ranches', 'Fl', '33331'); Try inserting Null instead of a zero-length string: INSERT INTO ... VALUES (1783, 'Hacienda...

Inserting notes
Can someone tell me how to make bulk insert of notes related to accounts in database? Thanks, M You can use the Data Migration Framework facility within the CRM product or get a third party software like Scribe. Scribe works like a middleware and will allow you to connect it to sources like your website for a steady stream of information flowing through your organization. But is it possible to use Data Migration Framework to insert notes? I read DMF is intended only for initial data to migrate. If I run DMF on existing data, will it corrupt any of the existing data? Thanks, M "m...

Outlook 2003 missing Insert --> Signature menu pick
I ran Outlook 2002 for years. I have a single account and have assigned a default signature to it. I sometimes want to use a different signature, so have actually created several. When I compose or reply/forward, the default sig appears in the message body correctly. However, in OL2002 I used to be able to highlight it and choose Insert -> Signature -> <other sig> from the menu and replace it with a different signature. After installing OL2003 on a new system, that menu pick is gone, though the Help files still say that's how it's supposed to work, and a friend running...

lookup in one sheet and insert in second if not found
I have created a workbook with two sheets in it. I enter all my order in sheet one and the sheet two totals them. The column on my sheets ar as follow�. Sheet one STYLE SMALL MEDIUM LARGE 100 1 1 1 101 1 1 1 100 1 1 1 102 Sheet two STYLE SMALL MEDIUM LARGE 100 2 2 2 101 1 1 1 I have used the SUMIF command in the second sheet, which is correct Therefore my totals are correct. The only problem I am having is thi ��.that I have to enter the style numbers in the second sheet as well. What I want to do is, to have some kind...