Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?

  • Follow

This does not pertain to a new document.  I open an existing document just to
look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
document.  No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved.  It's
annoying.
0
Reply Utf 1/15/2010 8:55:01 PM

Mike

One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has
updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed.
--
Mike

When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces
the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question.
Occam''''s razor (Abbrev)

"Mike" wrote:

> This does not pertain to a new document.  I open an existing document just to
> look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
> document.  No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved.  It's
> annoying.
0
Reply Utf 1/15/2010 8:57:02 PM

One cause could be the use of volatile functions in formulas such as:

CELL
INDIRECT
INFO
NOW
OFFSET
OFFSET
RAND
RANDBETWEEN
TODAY

And in certain very rare applications:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

> This does not pertain to a new document.  I open an existing document just
> look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
> document.  No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved.  It's
> annoying.

0
Reply T 1/15/2010 9:18:09 PM

To be exact if your workbook contains any volatile function (even if the
value calculated does not change) the workbook will be deemed as changed and
a save will be required...

Volatile functions include
Rand, Now, Today, Cell, Offset, Info and Indirect. UDF's can also be
volatile...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike H" wrote:

> Mike
>
> One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has
> updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed.
> --
> Mike
>
> When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces
> the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question.
> Occam''''s razor (Abbrev)
>

> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > This does not pertain to a new document.  I open an existing document just to
> > look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
> > document.  No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved.  It's
> > annoying.
0
Reply Utf 1/15/2010 9:22:01 PM

Mike...
Sometimes Excel will ask you to save if you change the position of the
cursor within the file as well. Hope all these help

HpY

"Mike" wrote:

> This does not pertain to a new document.  I open an existing document just to
> look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the
> document.  No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved.  It's
> annoying.
0
Reply Utf 1/16/2010 12:45:01 AM

(page loaded in 0.127 seconds)