Vlookup with Multiple Rows to match with one row

I am trying to match a one record to a list with multiple like records and
only retrieve from the first record:

Record 1 Jim Smith

look up to Record 2

Record 2 Jim Smith Nice Guy
Record 2 Jim Smith Not so Nice Guy

 In otherwords when I do my vlookup
VLOOKUP(B12,'Overall Transformations '!A:Y,17,0) it sees the two records in
record 2 and brings back N/A#.

How do I tell it to bring back the first instance that it sees with Jim
Smith Nice Guy?

--
Motaad

Me thinks something else is causing the #N/A.

If you have two  Jim Smith's in the lookup array, it should return the first
one only and not "see" the second one.

(I assume the N/A# in your post is a typo)

Might not really have a match...?  Spaces or something like that.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Motaad" <Motaad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to match a one record to a list with multiple like records and
> only retrieve from the first record:
>
> Record 1 Jim Smith
>
> look up to Record 2
>
> Record 2 Jim Smith Nice Guy
> Record 2 Jim Smith Not so Nice Guy
>
> In otherwords when I do my vlookup
> VLOOKUP(B12,'Overall Transformations '!A:Y,17,0) it sees the two records
> in
> record 2 and brings back N/A#.
>
> How do I tell it to bring back the first instance that it sees with Jim
> Smith Nice Guy?
>

> --
> Motaad

Multiple Search Criteria/ Index Match
I am using the following formula to retrieve data that matches tw specific criteria. =INDEX(C2:C80,MATCH(1,(A2:A80="Liverpool")*(B2:B80="January"),0)) using ctrl,shift, enter to give curly brackets to make it work. This formula is then repeated in the cell directly below, but searche for "February", below that "March" and so on. However when I copy my formula, I have to change the month for eac cell and therefore have to put in the curly brackets again. Is there anyway around this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have a list with the ...

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Multiple charts in ChartSpace; problems with double Categories
I want to show two or more charts with different categories and data in one chartspace, so I did the following: 1. Create Chartspace 2. Add Chart1 in Chartspace 3. Add Series in Chart1 4. Series.SetData chDimCategories 'A,B,C' 5. Series.SetData chDimValues '5,2,6' Now I see a chart with categories A (value=5), B (value=2) and C (value=6). So everything okay. Next thing I do: 6. Add Chart2 in Chartspace Now I see a second empty chart, BUT WITH already filled categories A,B and C!! I don't want this, because I want to use other categories in this second chart2. And whe...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Turn off auto adjust of row heights
I have a complex spreadsheet for my catalogue of products. I have set row heights, fonts and sizes of texts for different rows. Every now and then my row heights are automatically changed by EXCEL. I have turned off word wrap I have locked/protected my sheet. How can I stop EXCEL automatically readjusting row heights at its discretion. Thanks ...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

How do I link one person to another in the same table?
I have a table of Contacts. Some of my contacts know other contacts, and I would like to indicate that in their record. However, for Data Type, I cannot create a drop down list of contacts from within the table to choose from. Any idea how to to this? Or, if this is not possible, can you suggest another way to indicate "who knows whom"? Your contact table ought to look like: TblContact ContactID FirstName LastName etc Then you need am acquaintenances table: TblAcquaintenance AcquaintenanceID ContactID (identifies a Contact) AcquaintedContactID (Ident...

VLOOKUP in VBA

Inserting Rows
Hi, I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a time and then selecting 'insert row'? Thanks Ben Hi Ben have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2pt5r Frank Ben wrote: > Hi, > > I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a > blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of > doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a > time and then selecting 'insert row'? > > Thanks > > Ben Thanks...

Forwarding Multiple Emails to AOL
I have about 2,400 email messages saved on Outlook that I need to transfer to an AOL Email account. How can I do this without emailing each individually? "awerhun" <awerhun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2B78760-FADA-47C9-BF21-1597E345CF71@microsoft.com... >I have about 2,400 email messages saved on Outlook that I need to transfer to > an AOL Email account. How can I do this without emailing each individually? Simply create your AOL account in Outlook, then drag the messages to the AOL folders. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] O...

Create Multiple Index
Access 2007 I want to build a multiple index on a table in my database. Can anyone tell me why this does not work? Private Sub Command0_Click() DoCmd.RunSQL "CREATE INDEX Models ON tblCatalogModels, (Year, Make, Model)" End Sub "NEWER USER" <NEWERUSER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88DBF188-1446-43D3-8C5F-24C9E3728097@microsoft.com... > Access 2007 > I want to build a multiple index on a table in my database. Can anyone > tell > me why this does not work? > > Private Sub Command0_Click() > > DoCmd.Ru...

Making 2 colums into one
I have an excel file that I imported into Access. There are 5 fields. Item 1-5 The item names are in column 1 and column 3. I need to combine the two columns in to just one column. Can this be done? Thanks for your help and reply. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-tablesdbdesign/201006/1 Use a calculated field -- Combined: [column 1] & " - " & [column 3] Or omit the dash and use one space or comma and a space as you wish it to be displayed. You could add a new field in your table and run an...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Index Match Functions #2
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? oh yeah! http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm UnumProvident User wrote: > Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? > > ...

multiple item select from a combo box
I want to use this as a navigational tool, rather than to "input" values into a database. This control will be on a form that sets parameters for graphical chart displays. One of the requirements is to be able to select multiple values from a 2nd combo box after a 'parent' 1st combo box determines what should be in the 2nd one. I have a couple of ideas of how to do this, but was just wondering if someone has already tackled something like this before. I suppose I could populate a temporary table that has yes/no values in it and display that in a subform (which scroll...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Publisher 2000-XP multiple pages not visible
Hi, I am new to this group seeking some help. I was working on a large number of pages that I had scanned images onto and entered text. In one document, I can see the first page only and not the other 6. When I print, it prints out the pages correctly, but I cannot view these pages, and needless to say, make any corrections. My other documents, which have 100 pages in them, show nothing at all. They also print. When I made a new document to see what was going on, I can Insert new pages, and nothing shows up on the bottom of the screen to show the pages. In My Documents, the file sizes ind...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

Combining multiple files into one work sheet
Good afternoon, I have multiple files single worksheet files (30), each in it's own directory that I would like to have combined into a single workbook. Each file name is unique, however the midships of each file contains the date the file was created "C:\XVG001\XVG001_20090713_Reviewed.xls". Is there any way I can create a function or macro that will pull these files from their respective directories and combine these sheets automatically into one workbook? Thanks Try this add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/t...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

how many pages can I have in one 2003 publisher file?
I am working with about 75 pages that combine text and photographs (inserted from "My Pictures" files. How many pages will reasonable go into one Publisher file? The next question, I want to page number. If I need to divide my work into two documents, can I page number sequentially (i.e., start the second file with page 35)? You can start your publication page numbers with any number by inserting a section, then opening the Master page, insert page numbers. A publication can be as lengthy as you wish as long your memory holds out. When you start inserting large photos with...

incorporate paste value in vlookup
is there a way to incorporate "paste value" in a vlookup formula ? I have the vlookups in the column working and feeding off of the multiple worksheets. the data will be updated weekly (and new columns with the updated data added) and i would rather just copy new data on top of the old in the worksheets instean of having to add new worksheets with new data... as to keep the previous column from changing. -- problem ...

Finding Data from Multiple sheets
Hi I have a spreadsheet that contains the following: Rows = Products Columns = Months Data = how many products sold in each month This data is replicated on numerous sheets, each sheet is an individual client. I need to look at the products sold over each month, for each customer and identify - who sold the most per month? Ideally creating a list of the top ten customers. I have tried copy and pasting data from each sheet into one and used this as a database to create a pivot table, but the whole process of copying and pasting each clients data takes so long to do. Any advice would b...

delete a row
a macro which deletes a row if all the cells in that row from column to column Z are empty thanks a lo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > a macro which deletes a row if all the cells in that row from column A > to column Z are empty > > thanks a lot > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ hi frank , i need a smaller command not big macro... thank u so muc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi either ...