Vlookup with Multiple Rows to match with one row

  • Follow

I am trying to match a one record to a list with multiple like records and
only retrieve from the first record:

Record 1 Jim Smith

look up to Record 2

Record 2 Jim Smith Nice Guy
Record 2 Jim Smith Not so Nice Guy

 In otherwords when I do my vlookup
VLOOKUP(B12,'Overall Transformations '!A:Y,17,0) it sees the two records in
record 2 and brings back N/A#.

How do I tell it to bring back the first instance that it sees with Jim
Smith Nice Guy?

--
Motaad
0

Me thinks something else is causing the #N/A.

If you have two  Jim Smith's in the lookup array, it should return the first
one only and not "see" the second one.

(I assume the N/A# in your post is a typo)

Might not really have a match...?  Spaces or something like that.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Motaad" <Motaad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to match a one record to a list with multiple like records and
> only retrieve from the first record:
>
> Record 1 Jim Smith
>
> look up to Record 2
>
> Record 2 Jim Smith Nice Guy
> Record 2 Jim Smith Not so Nice Guy
>
> In otherwords when I do my vlookup
> VLOOKUP(B12,'Overall Transformations '!A:Y,17,0) it sees the two records
> in
> record 2 and brings back N/A#.
>
> How do I tell it to bring back the first instance that it sees with Jim
> Smith Nice Guy?
>

> --
> Motaad

0