Using Tab key to jump to specific cell

I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
fine-tune it?

When you protect a sheet, tabbing will cause the active cell to jump between
the unlocked (aka unprotected) cells.
The order of tabbing is left to right, top to bottom.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
> pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to
> be
> filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If
> hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
> does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know
> how
> I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
> fine-tune it?

0
Luke
4/6/2010 2:17:29 PM
Hi Kelly

This happens when you have unlocked cells in a protected w/s.  Obviously
this is a bonus to you when creating a "fillable form".

Now you know what is happening you should be able to format the whole w/s
appropriately.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kelly" wrote:

> I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
> pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
> filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
> hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
> does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
> I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
> fine-tune it?
If your input cells are in a left to right, top to bottom sequence,
unlocking input cells and Tabbing to them will work.

If not in that sequence you can create a named range in the order you want.

Start with last cell in order then CTRL + Click your way through the
sequence.

See Bob Phillips' site for more on this.

You can also use VBA to tab through a sequence of cells.

If you want that, post back.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:11:01 -0700, Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
>pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
>filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4.  If I
>hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4).  But this
>does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places.  I don't know how
>I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
>fine-tune it?

0
Gord

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

character limit in cell?
I merged several cells and entered text. I have it set to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells. If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all displayed. However, if I enter any more text than that it displays as '#######'. Is there a limit on the number of characters I can enter? Can that be changed. There is still room in the merged cells to hold more text. Abby, You don't seem to be getting any takers on this one. ####, to my knowledge, shows up only when you have a number in a cell (not text), and it's too big to display in its entir...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Formula staying as a formula in a cell?
Does anyone know why a formula stays a formula in a cell? I know that using the aspostrophe makes it like a string, like '=blah+blah, but this one doesn't...I even have made the cell General and made sure that calculate automatic was selected. This thing is driving me nuts. Any suggestions??? You can't just format the cell as general if it was text to start with. You need to format as general AND then hit F2 and then enter. the other possibility is that you have the Formulas view turned on in Tools / Options / View Tab / Uncheck Show Formulas in Window options. Ideally you...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Any way to highlight cells that change?
Is there a way to highlight all of the cells in a worksheet that change as a result of some action? I have some worksheets with calculations that depends on other calculations that depend on other calculations and so on. If I make a change to one value or one formula, I may not notice if some cell (possibly off the screen) is changed. I would like some way to make them stand out. A border like the copy border or something like that would be great. -- Running Excel 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000 Click the cell you have just changed (or are about to change) On the Formula Auditing toolbar, click T...