subdividing a column

I am trying to develop a spreadsheet that I can list 2 columns of information
under each month column...Is this possible in Excel?

No, but you can have the "Month" over two columns.

conniemae wrote:

> I am trying to develop a spreadsheet that I can list 2 columns of information
> under each month column...Is this possible in Excel?

5/5/2010 5:34:13 PM
you might consider merging the column header cells to make 1 cell over 2

"conniemae" wrote:

> I am trying to develop a spreadsheet that I can list 2 columns of information
> under each month column...Is this possible in Excel?

How to increment column
I want to start at column 20 and incrment by 1 and insert a heading for each column - all via a macro. I can capture the column index but I can't seem to increment to the next column. Help Glen To make a heading for columns 20 to 25: Sub MakeHeads() Cells(1,20).resize(1,6).Value = array("Head1","Head2","MyHead","Head4","Head5","Col25") End sub <> wrote in message news:18fc01c47bf9$56e3f670$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I want to start at column 20 and incrment by 1 and insert > a ...

stacked column combination
I would like to create a chart with 2 sets of stacked columns side by side over a five year time span. I have managed by using two axes to get one set pf stacked columns to the left axis and one set to the right axis - but I now need to separate them (the stacked columns are on top of each other) - any ideas or should I try something different.. For one possible solution, check from Stephen Bullen's site at -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom...

hiding row if the cell is found in a differeent column
Hi, sheet1 data 2 a 5 b 12 c sheet2 data 2 3 4 I would like to write a macro as follows: if I find the value in column a of sheet 1 IN column a in sheet 2, hide that column in sheet one (loop for the range of cells). I have the following so far: I am clearly having trouble figuring out the find portion. Thanks. Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual On Error GoTo Exits: If Selection.Rows.Count > 1 Then Set Rng = Selection Else S...

Justify text across multiple columns
I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the boundaries of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified. How do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row. If I highlight all of the text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment, Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column. I know I could use a text box, but I'd prefer not to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Dave Hi Dave, Select the cells you want to center on. Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across se...

Hiding (lots of) rows and columns
Hi folks Is there an easy way to hide ALL the rows and columns that you are not actually using? I have carefully designed a screen layout (on several sheets) so that there is no need for the user to manually scroll around the sheet to navigate. For example, a particular sheet only makes use of cells A1:J20. I discovered that selecting, say, row 24, then using [Ctrl] [Shift] [down-arrow] selects all the rows from 24 through to 65536. Selecting Format|Row|Hide did as required. Fine. I then selected column L (i.e. cells L1:L23) and then did [Ctrl] [Shift] [right-arrow] to select all the unuse...

Prefill column
Below is a sample of the data I download to a spreadsheet. I need to write a macro to fill in the empty cells in column A with the data from the previous cell in the column with data. I know I didn't explain that well but in the example below, I need TF48 to fill in Col A for rows 3,4 & 5. Then T16A would fill in row 7 and T505 in row 9 and 10. I hope I've explained this sufficiently. Thanks in advance for your help. 1 A B C D 2 TF48 $100.00 ABC 20091116 3 $ 50.00 DTR 20091116 4 ...

Other backgroundcolor by another value in the same column
Hello, I like to have a solution. In my formview I have one column with a lot of sorted records like.... aaa aaa bbb ccc ccc ccc ddd Because of a better overview I want the backgroundcolor set, for example, to red if the value is different then the value in the record before (in the same column !!). The result is that the records with the "x" should get a red colored background. aaa x aaa bbb x ccc x ccc ccc ddd x I want do see this in my form and if possible in my report. Is it possible on a conditional formating way ? or do I n...

zero value removes columns. How do I keep columns with zero value
..I have a workbook that run in Business Warehouse. I enter a date range, and several columns fill in. However, if one of the columns has a vlue of zero, the column will not display. Ex a workbook has col_a, col_b, col_c, col_d. If col_c has no data, the worksheet will only show, a, b, and d. I need the zero value in column D because I have chart data linked to the worksheet. If col_c does not display, my chart is wrong: the data is returned as column a,b,d, and my chart is looking for a,b,c,d. So d's data goes into col_c. I tried telling excel to show zero values. I fooled around ...

Sum a Column of Variable length
Hi, I wish to put a total AT THE BOTTOM of a list of numbers in a macro. The list is variable length and I want to use the subtotal(109, function as there will be filters applied to the data and I only wish it to add items displayed. I tried this but it crashed on the last line. Help Please!! LastRowNumber = Range("D65536").End(xlUp).Row Moveup = LastRowNumber - 2 ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Select ActiveCell.Offset(1, -1).Range("A1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,R[-Moveup]C:R[-1]C)" When I say "in a macro&...

12 columns to 1 data column
I have an export of budget information from Helmsman with dept, acct, project & 12 periods of data in columns. My G/L program (Navision) only takes the import in the following format: acct, dept, project, period, amount, with each period of information for each account/dept/project as a separate row. I've tried doing the transpose function, which won't work in this case, since it's more than 10,000 rows of info & only 12 columns (besides, I really want the column headers to repeat for each acct.) I also started trying to use the pivot table function, but I can't get...

Continue a Column to the next Column
I have a spreadsheet with many short column except one column is very long. How can I make the long column into two shorter columns and have them stay connected, be seen as the same column of data. Once you get to the bottom of the first column it needs to jump to the top of the next column. Hi Wayne, See my snake columns page -- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: Search Page:

Copying Every Other Column
In Excel 2007, I have a spreadsheet with 14302 columns and I would like to copy everyother column without having to select them one-by-one... Any help would be greatly appreciated. TFTH, That's a job for VBA. Ask the nice folks down the hallway in the Excel 2007 for PC forum how to do that. This is the Excel for Macintosh group... Come to think of it, Mark Grimes has a solution here: Cheers On 24/05/10 12:37 PM, in article, "tom" <tom@discussions.micro...

Organize multiple columns into one column
I was wondering if there is an easy way to take multiple columns of data and move them into one column (other than copy and paste). I used the 'text to columns' tool, which separated the data into various columns using the comma delimiter. Ultimately, I want to summarize all of the data using a Pivot Table report, and using the list approach has been the only way I know to do this (only way to ensure all data is referenced). Any help would greatly be appreciated. Regards, Tajeri Not sure why you would want to put several columns into 1 but :- 1. Copy a formula down an empt...

Group DB columns to be used in pivot table
Hi, I have the following problems to prepare the DB. I need to create a Pivot Table and my source DB is Excel. Headings go from Column A to AT, but only columns A to N will be used to play around with the pivot, while columns O to AT are only to input values. How can I: 1) Transform the many columns O to AT in one field called Product so that once placed into the Column part of the Pivot I can see all the headings from O to AT 2) How to make all the O to AT cells active so that the user can enter values and see the changes or analyse using the A to N fields? Examle: A B C D E F G H I...

identifying a chart column individually in code
Let me try a different approach. I currently use a clusterd column chart that is created automatically with code. Presently, I need to select each column manually to format them according to a convention that we like at work. Each column that represents a subset of a given group is colored to represent the group of which it is a subset. Each column that is of a different group gets a different color. I think I can automate this process if I can tell the code to look at column 1, for example. Then column 2, and so forth through the entire set of columns. If I can do that, I can provide an I...

Spreading data to date columns
My orders table has the following fields: OrderNum, Cust, Part, Qty, ShipDate. I need to print one order per line but move the qty under a column with the ship date. Ord# Cust Part PastDue 2/13 2/14 2/15 2/16 123 ABC 6543 50 124 ABC 6548 75 127 RST 7125 50 129 RST 8567 50 You can use a crosstab query. Are the dates all consecutive as you posted? There is a sample monthly crosstab report that could be modified to report by day rather than month. http://...

group data in wksht columns for sorting purposes.
I can do this easily in access, but I can not seem to find a way in excel. I am working on customer account report. I have columns like below: Customer name 30day 60days 90days 120days I want to group all the accounts that have data in the 120day column together, then 90days, then 60 and so on. I have tried sorting and that does not work effectively. 1st, the sort feature only allows me to sort on 3 columns. I want to sort on 7. 2nd, I would like to see all accounts with items in the 120day column at the top of the page. If the amount in negative, it appears ...

Macro Replace Column A with Column B
Howdy, I've got a list of 250 some odd abbreviations and full codes for excel data. I want to run a macro that will search for A1, then replace it with the value in B1, then A2 with B2, and so forth until the end of data in column A. Any ideas on how I could do this? Btw, is it possible to store the conversions in the macro workbook, so it isn't "lost". IE, could I make a sheet1 in personal.xls, then have the macro check personal.xls, sheet1, column A, then replace with personal.xls, sheet1, column B? Hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance! Austin bump I don't qu...

How can I see column headings of hidden columns in Excel before u.
I have a large spreadsheet with several columns hidden. I want to unhide a specific column that I know has a column name of Project Owner. How can I determine which column to unhide to see the desired column without unhiding all of the columns? I tried the find feature, but that did not help. assuming you have your name in row 1 of the column, you could use MATCH or in vba you could use FIND Sub findcol() Columns(Rows(1).Find("yournamehere").Column).Hidden = False End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software "Beachcomber" <Beachcomber@discussions.m...

locate a column, sum specific columns to the right of that column
Tricky one here (I think): I have a drop down list of Labor Periods on a cover sheet. On a separate data sheet I have: Period 1 Period 2 ... Units Cost Hours Units Costs Hours The oldest Labor Period is the farthest to the right. I need a formula that will find the Labor Period selected from a drop down (DV) and sum the values to the right of that Labor Period. So if Labor Period 5 is selected, I want to add up the hours for Labor Periods 5,4,3,2,1. Any help would be lovely. Beric I think we need to be told about how you data is s...

lookup row and column
I have a table with dates going across, and down column A, I have a set of names. I have a similar table that i need to populate with the above data but there are some additional dates as well as names. I cannot do a lookup because if i lookup the name, it will return the wrong data because of the addional dates, and vice versa with the lookup by date. If anyone can help, Thank you. --- Message posted from "n00batW0rk" <> wrote in message > I have a table wi...

Splitting contents from multiple repeating cells in 1st column into 4 columns
In my first column I have 4 cells (1-4) (5-8) etc. with general content. The content from each of these 4 cells needs to be placed in a separate column to make a list that I can sort etc. Example: COLUMN A 1 01-04-425-001 2 Heatherridge Road #301 3 Harry Smith 4 H25 Condo Fairfax Place 5 01-05-356-041 6 McGrath Street # 56 7 Mary Jones 8 B45 Condo Lemon Circle . . . . . . and so on and so on every 4 cells. I have hundreds of 4 cell descriptions. I just can't do this one by one. Can anyone help, PLEASE, PLEASE. I am really a novice at Excel though I use it for everything ...

Variable Width 100% Stacked Column Chart
Hi, I need to make a variable width 100% stacked column chart (similar t the Column chart with varying width bars from but 100 stacked) The x-axis would contain various market segments and the width would b proportional to their size, the y-axis divides each segment up by a attribute. Any ideas? Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from ~~View and post usenet messages directly from Earl - Stephen Bullen has a Variable Width Column Chart example on his web site (, lo...

Title of a Column in a datasheet view
I have a form in Access 2003 that I want to display in datasheet view. In this layout, the column titles become the title of the column displaying the control. Is there a way to keep the control name "as is" but display a different title. I tried things such as: Me.txtGiver1.Title = "Monday" Me.txtGiver1.Text = "Monday" None of the properties that I can think of work I can't find it in Help. I can't find in on the Internet. Any help will be appreciated. ...

Help with columns #2
Hi How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? Thanks! Hi - first there's a maximum of 256 columns :-) - You can only use these 3 columns (you can't delete the other columns) - if you like you can hide the other columns. Just select theses columns and goto 'Format - columns - Hide' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rich wrote: > Hi > > How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather > than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? > > Thanks! See one answer in m.p.e.newusers Please d...