Remove Prompt to Open File as Read-Only (Excel 2007)

I have an Excel file that was created using Excel 2003.  The person who
created the file set protection so that every time the file is opened, a
window appears with the following message:  "'filename' should be opened as
read-only unless you need to save changes to it.  Open as read-only?"  I am
using Excel 2007 and want to remove this prompt, but when I go to the Help
function for instructions on how to do it, it provides names of menu/ribbon
options that don't exist (see below):
1.  On the Review tab, click Protect Document.
2.  Select Restrict Formatting and Editing.
3.  In Formatting restrictions, Editing restrictions and Start enforcement,
you can make selections that meet your formatting and editing needs.

Thanks!
Kerry

You can use SaveAs (overwriting the existing name).

But when you show the SaveAs dialog, click on Tools|General options
Uncheck that "read only recommended" box.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Uncheck "read only recommended"

Save.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:00:01 -0800, kerryb13
<kerryb13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an Excel file that was created using Excel 2003.  The person who
>created the file set protection so that every time the file is opened, a
>window appears with the following message:  "'filename' should be opened as
>read-only unless you need to save changes to it.  Open as read-only?"  I am
>using Excel 2007 and want to remove this prompt, but when I go to the Help
>function for instructions on how to do it, it provides names of menu/ribbon
>options that don't exist (see below):
>1.  On the Review tab, click Protect Document.
>2.  Select Restrict Formatting and Editing.
>3.  In Formatting restrictions, Editing restrictions and Start enforcement,
>you can make selections that meet your formatting and editing needs.
>
>Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>Kerry

0
Gord

Excel Options
How do you disable the rounding feature in excel (e.g. - I want to display 10/6, and not 5/3 as excel would display)? One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom ?/6 In article <B77FDD23-4A2D-430D-8375-34F9944CCAAC@microsoft.com>, "todd" <todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you disable the rounding feature in excel (e.g. - I want to display > 10/6, and not 5/3 as excel would display)? text format Thanks for the help. Let me take this question one step further. I want to create a bar graph that displays the fractional value taken from a table...

Remove Excel Icon ??

cannot open microsoft office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I cannot open any Microsoft applications since i have upgraded to os x 10.6 and i have a ton of school projects due soon please help?? You don't say enough to help. What is the error message? How are you trying to open the apps? Is your copy of Office fully up to date? --rms www.rmschneider.com On 12/04/10 15:55, marvism331@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I cannot open any Microsoft applications since i ...

Help with trying to post a file to a secure website
I have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks. I have a digital certificate installed in my certificate collection store on my local computer. The site I am trying to post to also has our certificate installed is said it is ready to recieve transactions. I have created a file (xml) and I want to post to the given web address. An example of the web address is https://some.company.com/location this is what I have tried: aStreamReader = New StreamReader("C:\MyTest2.txt") postData = aStreamReader.ReadToEnd() Dim data As Byte() = encoding.GetBytes(postData) Dim myRe...

an excellent time waster
Open a new blank workbook, go to the VBA immediate window and type cells = 1. This will fill every cell in sheet1 with a number 1. Save the file as number1.xls and close the file. Open another new blank workbook, go to the VBA immediate window and type cells = "a". This will fill every cell in sheet1 with a letter a. Save the file as lettera.xls and close the file. Now bring up the windows explorer and look at the size of both files. Why is the file with the letter "a" bigger than the file with the number 1? I thought a number takes up more bytes than a single lette...

.prn Files to Excel
Hello, I work in a system that displays data in spreadsheet format (display only, not editable). The system does not allow you to copy to the clipboard. I would like to put this data into excel to manipulate. The only way I can see is to print to a file (*.prn). Is there a way to open or use this file format in excel along the lines of a CSV or TXT file. If I try and open it with Excel the page comes up with squares and symbols everywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ray Ray, As far as I know, you can't open a prn file in Excel and get any meaningful data. -- Co...

DPM 2010 RC - Exchange 2007
Hi, We are protecting a exchange 2007 server, DPM is all green. When I go to restore, I cant drill down to mailbox only to the database? Could someone advise? Thanks Dave Have you protected the exchange server using workgroup/un-trusted domain flow? If so, mailbox enumeration is not supported when an exchange server is protected using this flow. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "DRLJAMES" <DRLJAMES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBEC7CDA-AAE0-48CE-A6F7...

Removal

import Windows Mail files to Outlook 2007
I just upgraded from Vista to Win 7, and since Win 7 doesn't support Mail, I need to import my old mail files to Outlook. Sounds simple enough, but I have a couple issues -- I have several user accounts on the computer, and for 2 of the accounts I had Windows Mail configured to point to the same folder locations (under the "Public" folders) so that we could share e-mail. So, the active mail account was not under either of our own user accounts; and we shared access. Now, when I try to import the files into Outlook (and I can't export from Mail, since it...

Excel 2002
Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? If the entries truly are numbers, and assuming they are 10 digit numbers, then you need to use one criteria of >=2307450000 and another of <=2307459999 "Mike Faulkner" wrote: > Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* > in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? I found this solution: Autofilter doesn't work with digits as if they were other characters (e.g. l...

Outlook freezes after opening Microsoft CRM
I have Outlook 2003. If I try to open Microsoft CRM from Outlook by going to Personal Folders and typing the url for CRM in the address bar, it opens CRM, but my Outlook freezes and I need to restart Outlook. Is there a fix for that or it is a problem with outlook? ...

Remove lines with +++

when I open pubisher my photos do not appear on screen
I'm putting a newsletter together. Sometimes when I open the document in microsoft publisher the photos I pasted in do not appear on screen but they are there are will print. I need to see them as I work on the document. Help! Ron Aaron San Antonio, Texas aaron@winston-sa.org Help here, read the third FAQ http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "ronnie" <ronnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Excel "forgetting" its add-ins
There is nothing more annoying than having to reinstall the stupid Solver or other add-ins (such as regression) after not using them for a while! I teach the same class every Spring and every late January or early February I need to check a homework problem on my laptop here and there. And every year, the same damn story, I have to insert some stupid disk, which I don't have with me on a trip. I specifically remember doing THE COMPLETE INSTALLATION of the stupid Office software on my machine precisely to avoid this problem, because this incredible annoyance and frustrat...

Outlook PST file too big
Product: Outlook 2000 I recently backed up my Outlook PST file to a DVD. (It was over the 2 GB limit) I then created a new PST file to use. However, now I cannot mount the old PST file to get some data off it. I have been told this is due to the file being over 2GB. Is there anything I can do to get into the file now? I would hate to loose this much data. is it because the pst is too big or because you are reading it from a DVD? Outlook needs read/write access as well as a pst under 2GB. http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, ...

DO NOT ARCHIVE THE MONEY FILE
With year end quickly approaching this topic is intended for those users of Microsoft Money who might intend to archive their 2005 data. Do NOT do it. It will NOT do what you would think archiving a file should do. All you have to do is continue using Microsoft Money normally. The program can report your data by each year. It is important that ALL your data remains in ONE current file. Back-up your data on a regular basis, but don't archive. If the program runs slow, don't assume that it is because of too much data in your file and by archiving you will save space. Good luck. Steve &...

Shortcuts of excel
I want to perform a "horizontally page down" , switch from column 1 to column 50 . are there any shortcut keys perform such action? are there any article listing all the shortcut key of excel? thank you. "Page across" is Alt+PageDown. To page back towards the A column again you do Alt+PageUp. If you look in Excel Help you should be able to find a list of shortcut keys (it was there up to Excel 2000). Regards David "cclai" <chichung15@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e7H2C9PqDHA.1020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I want to perform a "horizontal...

Opening Outlook causes open Word
Hello Folks!! I have a user that he opens Outlook 2003 and this action cause that Microsoft Word's Windows open without reason. Could somebody help me, please? Thanks in advance!! is he using word as his editor? Does he have any addins for word? When outlook loads word to use it as the editor, the addin could be trying to load and cause word to open completely. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlookt...

3 hole punched paper and excel spreadsheets
Help! Excel non-user needs to know how to set up spread sheets to shift tables to print on 3 hole punced paper. Our Excel guru is out having a baby! Can You help? Running Excel 2002. Thanks, Carl *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today. On the print preview. Click the margins button. At the top border, there are small black tabs (margin tabs). If you drag the margin tabs over slightly, you may be able to get everything you want on the page. If it doesn't work exit the workbook but don't save the changes. Anywho, make a back...

How to Remove SRS

How to create a shortcut in Excel?
How to create a shortcut in Excel? Hi Vova To a macro? To a sheet? A shortcut on the desktop to a file? Post back with more info and someone can help you -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Vova" <vcapko@gng.com.ua> wrote in message news:04c701c3cbbe$cc6a9e30$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to create a shortcut in Excel? Vova wrote: > How to create a shortcut in Excel? One way (Excel 97): Insert >> Hyperlink ...

Produce csv file with minimal interraction
After we have produced invoices in our .mdb, they need to be exported to our accounting system. I have them saved in a table, and also in a query with just the fields that the accounting system requires/accepts. Now I need to export them to a csv file. I have tried using the Export wizard but it requires confirmation of the format etc every time and requires too much user input. I would like to have a one-click button that simply collected the invoice data from the query (or the source table, if it has to be that way) and dropped it into a new csv file in a location of my choosing. Can a...

Security Vulnerability in Outlook 2007 email Encryption
I am using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. When someone with whom I have exchanged digital ID's with sends me an encrypted e-mail and I attempt a straight-forward "Reply To" there is an error message "Microsoft Outlook had problems encrypting this message ... recipients had missing or invalid certificates, or conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities". The choices offered are to send unencrypted or to cancel. However, send unencrypted doesn't work. So then if I save the "Reply To" as a draft, restart Outlook, and then send the draf...

Excel PDF
Does anyoine know is it possible to save a document as a PDF file ? You can save an excel file as a PDF file but you have to have a PDF writer. "Craigv_2000" wrote: > Does anyoine know is it possible to save a document as a PDF file ? Craig For FREE!!! I have had success with the free file downloads and instructions for use here at Dale Nurden's site. http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/info/pdfguide.htm Saves first to single *.ps file which you then convert to *.pdf Returns one PDF file from multiple sheets or selected sheet. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:16...