Open/Import MS Money OFX file into Excel?

  • Follow

Downloading data from an online banking website.  Besides Quicken files
(WebConnect and QIF), the only other file format is MS Money OFX.

That is an ASCII format with HTML-like syntax.  I am currently writing a
macro to parse it.  But I wonder....

Is there any way to directly input an MS Money OFX file into Excel, other
than purchasing a conversion program?

A Google search reveals that this question has been asked before in other
forums.  I did not see a usable solution.

0
Reply Joe 1/29/2010 9:41:19 AM

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:41:19 -0800, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>Downloading data from an online banking website.  Besides Quicken files
>(WebConnect and QIF), the only other file format is MS Money OFX.
>
>That is an ASCII format with HTML-like syntax.  I am currently writing a
>macro to parse it.  But I wonder....
>
>Is there any way to directly input an MS Money OFX file into Excel, other
>than purchasing a conversion program?
>
>A Google search reveals that this question has been asked before in other
>forums.  I did not see a usable solution.

Well, I see there is a free ofx2csv converter available:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/OFX2CSV.shtml

--ron
-1
Reply Ron 1/29/2010 1:30:00 PM

"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote:
> Well, I see there is a free ofx2csv converter available:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/OFX2CSV.shtml

Thanks.  I had seen that, too; but I missed the fact that it is free and it
has a seal of safety from Softpedia.  What can I say:  it was late; I was
under pressure; I had my glassed on upside down; etc etc etc. :-)

Oh well, the VBA converter was not difficult to write.  And as it turns out,
I am dissatisfied with the content of the OFX file; the bank omitted some
important details that are visible online.

So I might give the QIF format a whirl.  There is some chance that the
content is more complete.  The bank's web page is titled "Download For
Quicken".  So I get the feeling that support of an MS product (namely MS
Money) was an afterthought.

Thanks again.

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:41:19 -0800, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:
>
>>Downloading data from an online banking website.  Besides Quicken files
>>(WebConnect and QIF), the only other file format is MS Money OFX.
>>
>>That is an ASCII format with HTML-like syntax.  I am currently writing a
>>macro to parse it.  But I wonder....
>>
>>Is there any way to directly input an MS Money OFX file into Excel, other
>>than purchasing a conversion program?
>>
>>A Google search reveals that this question has been asked before in other
>>forums.  I did not see a usable solution.
>
> Well, I see there is a free ofx2csv converter available:
>
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/OFX2CSV.shtml
>
> --ron

0
Reply Joe 1/29/2010 2:51:45 PM

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:51:45 -0800, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>Thanks.  I had seen that, too; but I missed the fact that it is free and it
>has a seal of safety from Softpedia.  What can I say:  it was late; I was
>under pressure; I had my glassed on upside down; etc etc etc. :-)
>
>Oh well, the VBA converter was not difficult to write.  And as it turns out,
>I am dissatisfied with the content of the OFX file; the bank omitted some
>important details that are visible online.
>
>So I might give the QIF format a whirl.  There is some chance that the
>content is more complete.  The bank's web page is titled "Download For
>Quicken".  So I get the feeling that support of an MS product (namely MS
>Money) was an afterthought.
>
>Thanks again.

I suppose I'm going to have to figure out how my Money program is going to work
when MS ceases all support for it.  I'm not looking forward to it.  But I'm
hoping for a viable solution.  For me, the quote download issue will be quite
important.  And, I'm sure, others will have other priorities.

Good Luck!
--ron
0
Reply Ron 1/29/2010 11:38:02 PM