Megastat add-in for Excel 2007

  • Follow

Issue -- Cannot start Megastat addin for Excel 2007
System:  Macbook running Boot Camp with Windows XP Professional and Office
2007

Installed the add-in; went to Excel Options and selected add-in.  No option
on Add-In menu to use the app.

Reply Utf 11/29/2009 2:07:01 PM

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:07:01 -0800, Bikertex
<Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Issue -- Cannot start Megastat addin for Excel 2007
>System:  Macbook running Boot Camp with Windows XP Professional and Office
>2007
>
>Installed the add-in; went to Excel Options and selected add-in.  No option
>on Add-In menu to use the app.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

After you select add-ins, "browse" to the location where the .xla (or .xlam)
file is located.
--ron
0
Reply Ron 11/29/2009 2:22:00 PM

Hi Ron -- Thank you.  I tried that and am getting the same result; no
megastat.  ;-(

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:07:01 -0800, Bikertex
> <Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Issue -- Cannot start Megastat addin for Excel 2007
> >System:  Macbook running Boot Camp with Windows XP Professional and Office
> >2007
> >
> >Installed the add-in; went to Excel Options and selected add-in.  No option
> >on Add-In menu to use the app.
> >
> >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> After you select add-ins, "browse" to the location where the .xla (or .xlam)
> file is located.
> --ron
> .

0
Reply Utf 11/29/2009 3:24:01 PM

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:24:01 -0800, Bikertex
<Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Ron -- Thank you.  I tried that and am getting the same result; no
>megastat.  ;-(
>
>"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 06:07:01 -0800, Bikertex
>> <Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Issue -- Cannot start Megastat addin for Excel 2007
>> >System:  Macbook running Boot Camp with Windows XP Professional and Office
>> >2007
>> >
>> >Installed the add-in; went to Excel Options and selected add-in.  No option
>> >on Add-In menu to use the app.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> After you select add-ins, "browse" to the location where the .xla (or .xlam)
>> file is located.
>> --ron
>> .

The directions seem fairly straightforward, although I have not used Megastat
or the OS variation that you are using.

So let me ask a few questions that should enable us to determine where the
problem is.

1.  What is the path of the folder in which you unzipped (extracted) the
Megastat files?

2.  In that folder, is there a file named Megastat.xla?  (and also
Megastat.hlp).

3.  In Excel 2007, after you clicked the
	Office button
	Excel Options
	Add-ins

	the next step is down at the bottom of the page.  There is a dropdown
box labeled
		Manage:  fill with with "Excel Add-ins"
	then <Go>

That should open a dialog box, with a list of add-ins and a button on the left
side entitled "Browse".

After you select Browse, and navigate to the folder you determined in Step 2,
what do you see?
--ron
0
Reply Ron 11/29/2009 3:45:22 PM

I thought it was straightforward too, but just cannot figure out where I went
wrong.  Here's the answers to your questions:

1.  What is the path of the folder in which you unzipped (extracted) the
Megastat files?  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library

2.  In that folder, is there a file named Megastat.xla?  (and also
Megastat.hlp). Yes to both.

3.  In Excel 2007, after you clicked the
	Office button
	Excel Options
	Add-ins

	the next step is down at the bottom of the page.  There is a dropdown
box labeled
		Manage:  fill with with "Excel Add-ins"
	then <Go>

That should open a dialog box, with a list of add-ins and a button on the left
side entitled "Browse".

After you select Browse, and navigate to the folder you determined in Step 2,
what do you see? Can select from the following files:  HTML.XLAM,
MegaStat2007.xla, RDBQAT.XLAM (downloaded to force the add'-ins tab in the
hopes that would help.)

Thanks so much for your help.
..

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:24:01 -0800, Bikertex
> <Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Ron -- Thank you.  I tried that and am getting the same result; no
> >megastat.  ;-(
> >
> >"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> >> After you select add-ins, "browse" to the location where the .xla (or .xlam)
> >> file is located.
> >> --ron
> >> .
> >>

> The directions seem fairly straightforward, although I have not used Megastat
> or the OS variation that you are using.
>
> So let me ask a few questions that should enable us to determine where the
> problem is.
>
> 1.  What is the path of the folder in which you unzipped (extracted) the
> Megastat files?
>
> 2.  In that folder, is there a file named Megastat.xla?  (and also
> Megastat.hlp).
>
> 3.  In Excel 2007, after you clicked the
> 	Office button
> 	Excel Options
> 	Add-ins
>
> 	the next step is down at the bottom of the page.  There is a dropdown
> box labeled
> 		Manage:  fill with with "Excel Add-ins"
> 	then <Go>
>
> That should open a dialog box, with a list of add-ins and a button on the left
> side entitled "Browse".
>
> After you select Browse, and navigate to the folder you determined in Step 2,
> what do you see?
> --ron
> .

0
Reply Utf 11/29/2009 4:58:01 PM

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:58:01 -0800, Bikertex
<Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After you select Browse, and navigate to the folder you determined in Step 2,
>what do you see? Can select from the following files:  HTML.XLAM,
>MegaStat2007.xla, RDBQAT.XLAM (downloaded to force the add'-ins tab in the
>hopes that would help.)

What happens when you select MegaStat2007.xla and then select <OK>?

Megastat.xla should appear in the add-ins dialog box, and you should be able to
select it (check it) and hit <OK> to close the Add-ins dialog box.
--ron
0
Reply Ron 11/29/2009 5:49:13 PM

Unfortunately, that's the problem.  When I select it and click oK, nothing
changes.  NOthing appears on add-ins for megastat.  I've tried selecting it
and restarting Excel, restarting Windows -- same thing.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:58:01 -0800, Bikertex
> <Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >After you select Browse, and navigate to the folder you determined in Step 2,
> >what do you see? Can select from the following files:  HTML.XLAM,
> >MegaStat2007.xla, RDBQAT.XLAM (downloaded to force the add'-ins tab in the
> >hopes that would help.)
>
> What happens when you select MegaStat2007.xla and then select <OK>?
>
> Megastat.xla should appear in the add-ins dialog box, and you should be able to
> select it (check it) and hit <OK> to close the Add-ins dialog box.
> --ron
> .

0
Reply Utf 11/29/2009 6:31:01 PM

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:31:01 -0800, Bikertex
<Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, that's the problem.  When I select it and click oK, nothing
>changes.  NOthing appears on add-ins for megastat.

Do you mean nothing appears in the manage add-ins dialog box?  Or nothing
appears on the Add-ins Ribbon Tab?  If the former, I'd wonder about a problem
with your Excel installation.

>I've tried selecting it
>and restarting Excel, restarting Windows -- same thing.

Here's what I did and it worked fine.

1.  Downloaded Megastat 9.1 from
http://www.unf.edu/coas/math-stat/downloads.html and installed it according to
their instructions in Excel 2007.

2.  I noted that Megastat appeared on the Add-In Ribbon tab and all the
functions were accessible.

3.  Downloaded and installed the Megastat 2007 upgrade from
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072983965/418039/MegaStatExcel2007Installer.exe

4.  When I restarted Excel, I got an error message that it could not find
Megastat.xla  (this is to be expected).  I navigated to the Excel
Options/Add-in/Manage page and allowed Excel to delete it.  Then I "Browsed" to
the MS Office folder; selected megastat2007.xla and everything seems to work
fine.    It is located on the Add-ins Ribbon tab.  It's only as single, small
entry, so maybe you missed it.
--ron
0
Reply Ron 11/29/2009 6:59:53 PM

Thanks so much for all your efforts.  I've tried the install both from 9.1
with upgrade and straight from 10.1 and no luck.  Although the add-in shows
in the Excel Options/Add-ins and I've tried browsing to it, no option for
megastat ever shows in the add-in menu.  I've checked and rechecked and
didn't miss it.  Thanks again.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:31:01 -0800, Bikertex
> <Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately, that's the problem.  When I select it and click oK, nothing
> >changes.  NOthing appears on add-ins for megastat.
>
> Do you mean nothing appears in the manage add-ins dialog box?  Or nothing
> appears on the Add-ins Ribbon Tab?  If the former, I'd wonder about a problem
> with your Excel installation.
>
> >I've tried selecting it
> >and restarting Excel, restarting Windows -- same thing.
>
> Here's what I did and it worked fine.
>
> 1.  Downloaded Megastat 9.1 from
> http://www.unf.edu/coas/math-stat/downloads.html and installed it according to
> their instructions in Excel 2007.
>
> 2.  I noted that Megastat appeared on the Add-In Ribbon tab and all the
> functions were accessible.
>
> 3.  Downloaded and installed the Megastat 2007 upgrade from
> http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072983965/418039/MegaStatExcel2007Installer.exe
>
> 4.  When I restarted Excel, I got an error message that it could not find
> Megastat.xla  (this is to be expected).  I navigated to the Excel
> Options/Add-in/Manage page and allowed Excel to delete it.  Then I "Browsed" to
> the MS Office folder; selected megastat2007.xla and everything seems to work
> fine.    It is located on the Add-ins Ribbon tab.  It's only as single, small
> entry, so maybe you missed it.
> --ron
> .

0
Reply Utf 11/29/2009 9:54:01 PM

From Ron's first link:

>> http://www.unf.edu/coas/math-stat/downloads.html

"If you are using a Mac, please contact McGraw-Hill directly. We are not
aware of a Mac version for MegaStat."

Bernie

0
Reply Bernie 11/29/2009 10:18:28 PM

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:54:01 -0800, Bikertex
<Bikertex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks so much for all your efforts.  I've tried the install both from 9.1
>with upgrade and straight from 10.1 and no luck.  Although the add-in shows
>in the Excel Options/Add-ins and I've tried browsing to it, no option for
>megastat ever shows in the add-in menu.  I've checked and rechecked and
>didn't miss it.  Thanks again.

Sorry it didn't work.  Maybe there's some issue with running it on the Mac.
--ron
0
Reply Ron 11/29/2009 11:43:07 PM

I will give that a try.   I am running a mac, although I'm running megastat
on excel 2007 on the windows xp partition.  I would think it would perform
like regular Windows, but I know next to nothing about macs, so could easily
be wrong.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> From Ron's first link:
>
> >> http://www.unf.edu/coas/math-stat/downloads.html
>
> "If you are using a Mac, please contact McGraw-Hill directly. We are not
> aware of a Mac version for MegaStat."
>
> Bernie
>
> .

0