keeping values

  • Follow

I am sure that this question has been asked and answered. I am creating a
worksheet for my class.  I have a value in cell b2( I want use this value
thru out the sheet). Let say   b2 = 10

       b     c     d
3    5      6     8
4    3      7     1

I want to subtract each value from b2(10). How can I do this without doing
it manually?
0
Reply Utf 4/1/2010 9:06:04 PM

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:06:04 -0700, AFL-math
<AFL-math@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am sure that this question has been asked and answered. I am creating a
>worksheet for my class.  I have a value in cell b2( I want use this value
>thru out the sheet). Let say   b2 = 10
>
>       b     c     d
>3    5      6     8
>4    3      7     1
>
>I want to subtract each value from b2(10). How can I do this without doing
>it manually?

Does that mean that you want the following end result
(if not, explain what result you do expect).

      b     c      d
3    5     4      2
4    7      3     9

This may be accomplished by the following command sequence

Put -1 in any spare cell, say F10
Select cell F10 (that has the value -1)
Copy
Select cells B3:D4
Paste Special -> Operation = Multiply
Select cell B2 (that has the value 10)
Copy
Select cells B3:D4
Paste Special -> Operation = Add
Clear cell F10 (the spare cell)

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke
0
Reply Lars 4/1/2010 9:44:07 PM

Refer to the cell via its absolute address: $B$2.  That way as you
'drag/fill' formulas using it around on the sheet, it won't change.

To subtract a value from it
=$B$2 - 4
or even another cell reference
=$B$2 - D3

"AFL-math" wrote:

> I am sure that this question has been asked and answered. I am creating a
> worksheet for my class.  I have a value in cell b2( I want use this value
> thru out the sheet). Let say   b2 = 10
>
>        b     c     d
> 3    5      6     8
> 4    3      7     1
>
> I want to subtract each value from b2(10). How can I do this without doing
> it manually?
0
Reply Utf 4/1/2010 9:46:42 PM

(page loaded in 0.048 seconds)