How do I make a "Pipe"--a separator, a vertical line ?

Does anyone know how to insert a vertical line separator between snippets of
text? For example like the lines between Nested and Field?  There must be a
short cut like the Ctrl+B that produces bolded print and like Ctrl+X that
cuts, etc?  Please help me, I need it for an excel project and I cannot find
it anywhere?

SUMMARY: NESTED | FIELD | CONSTR | METHOD

I have a vertical line on my keyboard (|). Why can't you use that?

Do you want something like:
=a1&" | "&b1
?

Regards,
Fred

"Morningglory" <Morningglory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to insert a vertical line separator between snippets
> of
> text? For example like the lines between Nested and Field?  There must be
> short cut like the Ctrl+B that produces bolded print and like Ctrl+X that
> cuts, etc?  Please help me, I need it for an excel project and I cannot
> find
> it anywhere?
>
> SUMMARY: NESTED | FIELD | CONSTR | METHOD

-1
Fred
2/4/2010 5:22:59 AM
hi.
that is on the standard qwerty keyboard or at least what i know as a pipe.
on the keyboard, the key just under the backspace. (upper right)
key = \
shift key = |

regards
FSt1

"Morningglory" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to insert a vertical line separator between snippets of
> text? For example like the lines between Nested and Field?  There must be a
> short cut like the Ctrl+B that produces bolded print and like Ctrl+X that
> cuts, etc?  Please help me, I need it for an excel project and I cannot find
> it anywhere?
>
> SUMMARY: NESTED | FIELD | CONSTR | METHOD
Well on my keybaord that character is found towards the lower left hand
corner on the same key as the back slash to the left of the letter Z.

To get to it all you need to do is to hit SHIFT plus the key.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"Morningglory" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to insert a vertical line separator between snippets of
> text? For example like the lines between Nested and Field?  There must be a
> short cut like the Ctrl+B that produces bolded print and like Ctrl+X that
> cuts, etc?  Please help me, I need it for an excel project and I cannot find
> it anywhere?
>
> SUMMARY: NESTED | FIELD | CONSTR | METHOD

Preferred Option with 3meg pipe
What would be the preferred implementation setup for a site with a central office and a sub-office connected by a 3meg pipe? I'm guessing that the users in the sub-office would be better with offline Outlook clients. Anyone care to share some experience? Thanks, Stephen ...

Import Pipe Delimited File, Parse out certian Fields, create new f
In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(field) 6, 10, 11, 21. Then take that data, create a new pipe delimited file, and put the stripped 4 fields in columns 4,5,6,7 of a 15 column(field) new pipe delimited file? I want to do this automatically on a file that contains 1000+ records. What goes in columns 1-3 and 8-15 of the new file? In article <4696CAA0-1DD3-45E3-9627-3FE001611AD2@microsoft.com>, "StarBoy2000" <StarBoy2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Excel 2000, how do I take a pipe delimited file, strip out column(fiel...

Authenticate user on pipe
Hi all, I've to authenticate a client user. User connects via namedpipe and I've to check if such user has a valid domain user. I'm actually using ImpersonateNamedPipe to attach client security context to running thread but it does not verify user on directory... How can I check for user on directory? I only have the Handle returned by ImpersonateNamedPipe or thread security context which should be the one of client... Thank Ale "Ale" <Ale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1A1F729-4C5E-4A84-8638-064F359B2BF9@microsoft.com... | Hi all, | I'...

How to reconnect a named pipe when the client program been closed?
Hi , I have created a named pipe in server program,and client program connect it.When the client program been closed,a new client program can't reconnect it . How to solve the problem ? Thanks for help! ...

Comparing 2 pipe-delimited text files
Hi, I am trying to compare two pipe-delimited text files which have been exported from an Access database. Thing is that I need to compare each record by the primary key (CodeNumber) and if there are differences then I need to put the different record into another text file. Can anyone help me with this? I keep getting told that this would be easy, but I have very limited experience with coding. Thank you in advance for your attention and any help that you can give me. Sean sgcann...@gmail.com wrote... >I am trying to compare two pipe-delimited text files which have >been exported fro...

asking about pipe line
hi, all the information I get from the pipe line is the same to that I input into the pipe what is wrong with this piece of code? how to change it? thanks. // tryPipe3.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application. // #include "stdafx.h" #include "tryPipe3.h" #ifdef _DEBUG #define new DEBUG_NEW #endif // The one and only application object CWinApp theApp; using namespace std; int _tmain(int argc, TCHAR* argv[], TCHAR* envp[]) { int nRetCode =3D 0; // initialize MFC and print and error on failure if (!AfxWinInit(::GetModuleHandle(NULL), NULL, ::GetCo...

catch array from pipe
hello, i have a script to sign file. but it will only sign the last file passed down. (ls *.ps1 | sign) ps didn't show any syntax error. could you help point it out? function global:sign { param( [Parameter(mandatory=$true,ValueFromPipeline=$true)][System.io.fileinfo[]]$fileList ); foreach ( $file in $fileList ) { set-authenticodesignature -filepath $file -certificate ( ls cert:\CurrentUser\my -codesigning ); } } I think this is a common trap (at least for me). You have to specify in the function that the block of code is process part: function ...

How do I make a "Pipe"--a separator, a vertical line ?
Does anyone know how to insert a vertical line separator between snippets of text? For example like the lines between Nested and Field? There must be a short cut like the Ctrl+B that produces bolded print and like Ctrl+X that cuts, etc? Please help me, I need it for an excel project and I cannot find it anywhere? SUMMARY: NESTED | FIELD | CONSTR | METHOD I have a vertical line on my keyboard (|). Why can't you use that? Do you want something like: =a1&" | "&b1 ? Regards, Fred "Morningglory" <Morningglory@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Pointers with Named Pipes
Hello, I really don't if I'm posting this in the correct place, probably not, but if not let me know. I have this question: I'm building a Client/Server system where they comunicate througth Named Pipes. My question is: If I have an object (which both client and server have the definition) in the client App, can I pass the pointer of that object (that was created in client App) to the server? Will the server be able to read the object and eventualy destroy it? The server an the client are to run in different machines. Thanks in advance.- Jo�o Pereira "Jo�o Pereira" w...

[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a
I'm getting the following error trying to use 32-bit client on a Win2003 64-bit server to connect to an SQLserver 2005 on a 32-bit remote Win 2003 server. IF I use the 64-bit ODBC manager (SQL Native client or ODBC DSN), I got connected without any problem. The problem is the application (Great Plains Dynamics 10) only recognized 32-bit ODBC client. For GP NG, my question would be how to make Dynamics recognize both 32-bit and 64-bit Native Connectors. Any help is greatly appreciated. Bill ----------------------- --------------------------- Microsoft SQL Server Login -----------...

Named Pipe Security Problem,...
Hi, maybe this does not fit into this user group, but i dont know where to ask. Well i've written a windows service that runs with System account and creates a Named Pipe. The Pipe is created with lpSecurityAttributes = NULL. The Service starts successfully and i can control it with standard commands and my user defined ones. Now i wrote a C#.NET Frontend from where i want to send a byte stream to the Pipe created inside the service, but i always get a GetLastError=5 whenever i try to send my bytes from my client app. I know that i have to set the lanmanserver's registry key (paramete...

A question about Named Pipe?
hi,all I have a question about named pipe. How does the pipe server know the client closed the connection? We can refer the example for CreateNamedPipe() function in MSDN. In block mode, once ConnectNamedPipe() returns, it means the client called CreateFile(), and after finish reading and writing, client call CloseHandle(), at this point, how does the pipe server know the pipe has been closed? And if client did not call CloseHandle(), but not write anything to the pipe, what will be returned in the server side ReadFile()? Becuase in mostly examples, the server pipe will ReadFile(), and th...

Can someone help; pipe delimited text import not working
Im trying to import a pipe delimited text file into access 2007 and I get the following message when I try to finish the import "Method Execute TempImexSpec' of object '_Wizhook'failed. It doen't seem to be recognizing the "|" pipe sysmbol I entered? Help nothing seems to be working for me. Thanks Char Char - Can you import the text manually (which is how you usually set up import specs anyway)? It could be a data issue or an import spec issue... Can you copy the import text file and remove all but maybe the first few records and see if o...

Where to find Excel sheet with Pipe & Forging charts and sizes.
I would like to find an excel sheet that has pipe sizes in a chart, and possibly weights. Also a chart for forgings like flanges, weld necks etc... in excel spread sheet. Thanks in advance. I suspect you'll have to create your own. "auto" wrote: > I would like to find an excel sheet that has pipe sizes in a chart, and > possibly weights. Also a chart for forgings like flanges, weld necks > etc... in excel spread sheet. Thanks in advance. > > > auto, You can probably find this information on a web page somewhere. Google it. You can then co...

PIPE question
Hi I would like to know how to read data from console using pipes line by line. If some one tries to run the application "type a.txt | myapp" where a.txt contains Hello World where as myapp is #include <stdio.h> int main { char buff[1024] = {0}; int Count = 0; while(fgets(buff, 1023, stdin)) { printf(" Data read by STDIN: %d: %s ", Count, buff); Count++; } return 0; } How can I try the same thing using Pipes. I tried the following code but it is not working. #include <windows.h> int main() { HANDLE hInput = NULL; char buff[1024] ...

pipe delimited format
how do i save a spreadsheet in pipe delimited format? i am using excel 2002, thanks Here's one way, works well if you only need to do it a couple of times! Save as a csv. change the extension of the csv to txt open the file, select all and copy paste it into word use replace to replace "," with "|" select all, copy and paste back into the text file If you have to do it numerous times your best bet is a macro, post back if that's what you need Dan E "rick" <elewis9125@aol.com> wrote in message news:059901c356d0$b29f5a80$a101280a@phx.gbl... >...

Provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 & error 53?????????????
Problem: How can I access SQL server on WAN???????????????????????????????? ----------------------------------------------------------- Error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Information: Windows Sever 2008 (64bit OS) Service Pack 2 Microsoft SQL 2008 Server Management Studio (10.0)(64bit) Microsoft .Net Frame work 3.5 SP1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Additional Inform...

I want to save an Excel file in "Pipe Delimited" (instead of csv).
I want to save my Excel file as "Pipe Delimited" (instead of csv) or else, if csv, then all values from a column to be enclosed in double quotes and not just the ones which have a comma in their values. See www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm for details and example code. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "J�Zee" <J�Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846F5BD4-D8AF-41C6-B474-B788AEFF188D@microsoft.com... >I want to save my Excel file as "Pipe Delimited" (instead o...

Pipe Delimitation
Looking for an add in or macro that will allow export as pipe delimited file. one way: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <22c4f01c45d69$636c07b0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "Joe" <Joe_Simmerer@educaid.com> wrote: > Looking for an add in or macro that will allow export as > pipe delimited file. ...

231
Hi, I'm working on a pipe server & client program. The pipe server is asynchronous and multithreaded. I used the following method to create the server: // code below is inside the Run() method of the server thread class OVERLAPPED ol; ZeroMemory(&ol, sizeof(OVERLAPPED)); HANDLE hArray[2]; hArray[0] = ol.hEvent = CreateEvent(NULL, TRUE, FALSE, NULL); hArray[1] = m_hStopEvent; // a global shutdown event while(bStop==FALSE) { HANDLE hServerPipe = CreateNamedPipe (m_szServerName, PIPE_ACCESS_DUPLEX|FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED|WRITE_DAC,PIPE_TYPE_MESSAGE | PIPE_READMODE_MESSAGE |...

anonymous pipes
hi group, i am very new to mfc. and trying to communicate via ipc with the child process. but some things i didnot understand after reading the documents. 1) redirecting input and output of the child process i have to use two pipes --because it anonymous pipe is only one directional so that for data to child process one pipe --and for data from child process another pipe.(understood) 2)the child process inherits the handles so before creating child process make duplicate copies of that hadle.(i didn't got this point.)from what i read they say that child should not inherit that hand...

Where do I find pipe fittings
I need shapes for pipe fittings like Elbows Tees and flanges. Visio Professional has a Plumbing and Piping Plan template under the Building Plan category. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "gila-ben" <gila-ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6C42177-C8CE-4AAD-86AA-8D564B7270DB@microsoft.com... >I need shapes for pipe fittings like Elbows Tees and flanges. ...

TimeOut when reading from a pipe
In my application a window cmd.exe is created. All inputs and outputs between the application and cmd.exe are exchanged over pipes. From the cmd-window the data is read by using ReadFile(). If I call ReadFile() when there is no data to read from cmd.exe the functions hangs and doesn't return. How can I configure ReadFile() that it returns after an elapsed time. SetCommTimeouts() doesn't work for this problem. Other possible solutions? Thanks for help // Save the handle to the current STDIN, STDOUT m_hStdin = GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE); m_hStdout = GetStdHandle(STD...

question related to pipe
hi everyone and specially to voidcoder, i tried the CreateProcess and then created one pipe between those two processes. and i am able to get the data very well but my while(ReadFile(hReadEnd,str,SIZE1,&dwRead,NULL)) { Buffer += str; } is becoming a blocking call can anybody help please Regards and thanks Harshal Sorry, didn't get your problem. Do you want to use it in async mode? In that case try to use overlapped ReadFile() calls. Also note RedFile() returns TRUE even no data actually returned. You may want to check the "NumberOfBytesRead" value: while(ReadFile(...

Named pipe problem
I followed Microsoft's Overlapped sample to create a namedpipe server, but in WaitForMultipleObjects, the first event always occured. It makes me couldn't to send message to other named pipe clients. DWORD dwWait, cbBytes, dwErr; BOOL fSuccess; LPTSTR lpszPipename = _T("\\\\.\\pipe\\eventpipe"); for (int j = 0; j < MAX_PIPECLIENTS; j++) { // Create an event instances m_log.WriteMessage(_T("Create Events")); m_hPipeEvents[j] = CreateEvent( NULL, // no security attribute TRUE, // manual-reset event FALSE, // initial state = signa...