Hotkey for Font color change while editing cell.

Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
communication and then set that new text to bold blue.

I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
without having to take my hands off the keyboard.

Is this possible?

go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.

stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.

go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
folder, and double click on the module.

delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this

    With Selection
    .Font.ColorIndex = 5
    End With

save the sheet.

now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue

"Jason" wrote:

> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>
> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>
> Is this possible?
This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
run macros while in edit mode?

Thanks!

"joemeshuggah" wrote:

> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>
> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>
> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
> folder, and double click on the module.
>
> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>
>     With Selection
>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>     End With
>
> save the sheet.
>
> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
> >
> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
> >
> > Is this possible?
I think joem misunderstood your post.

He assumed your added text was in a cell by itself.

You are appending text to current text in a cell?

No option to allow macros while in edit mode.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:38:06 -0800, Jason <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
>currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
>run macros while in edit mode?
>
>Thanks!
>
>"joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>     With Selection
>>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>     End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>> >
>> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?

0
Gord
1/29/2010 8:51:56 PM
On 1/29/2010 11:38 AM, Jason wrote:
> This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
> currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
> run macros while in edit mode?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>      With Selection
>>      .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>      End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>>> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>>> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>>> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>>> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>>>
>>> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>>> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?

After editing, hit Enter, then up-arrow, then the macro hot key. That
should work without taking your fingers off the keyboard, which is what
you wanted in your original request.

Bill
0
Bill

hotkey
Hi I would like to thank everyone for suggestions concerning hotkeys and keyup. What I am using is CE .Net though if there is a solution that also works in regular windows that would be good. I am willing to give most anything a try. What I have is a program that sits in the background and waits for a keystroke to run certain functions. One for keydown and one for keyup. The functions talk to an external device on a serial connection, but the main thing is that I need a method to get those keystrokes no matter what application is on top. The impression that I get is that Hotkey will send th...

In MS Excel, how do I change the column ref headers from numbers .
I'm using Excel 2000 v9.0 and the column reference headers have changed to Numbers (don't know how this happened) - so when I look at a cell reference, it is now quite confusing as both rows and columns are numbers. How do I change it back so that column references are letters, as it was before? Hi Tools > Options, uncheck R1C1 reference style. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Bruce Lindfield" <Bruce Lindfield@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:A3656A77-3DB1-41AF-A8F8-4C76C68C5C5B@microsoft.com... > I'm using Excel 2000 v9.0 and the column refer...

Changing Cell width without making the whole column that width?
Can someone please help? I'm trying to design a new spreadsheet fo work. In a column, I try to make a cell (say on row K) narrow, bu then the whole column goes to that same width. Is there a way to jus make a particular cell on a particular row narrow without making th whole column that width? Thanks. -Ke ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You get all or nothing with column widths, you can use merged cells if that would help -- Paul B Always backup y...

ERRORS After Initial Install of Office: Mac 2004 Standard Edition
I just installed MS Office 2004 on my brand new iMAC. The Test Drive edition (from my laptop) was removed at the end of the process. I emptied the trash. But when I launch the programs, I get the following error: An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library. And when I quit Excel I get this error: Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec This can't be good. What should I do? Update. After you've downloaded and applied the 11.3.3 updater, you should be able to run Office without these error messages. On 1/2/07 18:58, in article 1170352733.992...

Excel cell number formatting should have a significant digits opti
One should be able to format a cell in Excel so that the number of significant digits stays constant, no matter how the digits or decimal places change. You get something like this with the "Scientific" number format, but it's not as intuitive to look at. Maybe, but it won't happen in any current version of Excel. It's a business app. How many business folks do you think understand the concept of significant digits? On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:07:01 -0700, Sleep Scientist <Sleep Scientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >One should be able to format a cell i...

Daylight Savings Time Changes
Hello, Does anyone know if the patch for Exchnage 2003 identified in KB926666 has to also be applied to every server that is running the Exchange Tools (System Manager)? Thanks in advance K On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:24:03 -0800, Kerry <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Does anyone know if the patch for Exchnage 2003 identified in KB926666 has >to also be applied to every server that is running the Exchange Tools (System >Manager)? > >Thanks in advance >K Im all for consistency. If the patch isnt needed, it shouldnt install, so I would at ...

Making a column or cell required
I posted this a few days ago and got some good responses, but nothing that's actually accomplishing what I had hoped (maybe it really just can't be done) The specifics are: Creating an NPO reimbursement form where, in order for the form to be valid, the employee needs to enter a project code into a column entitled '"Project" The goal is to make it so that if this column is not filled in, an error message will show up in the Grand Total or the person will be unable to complete any more cells--sort of an enforced entry Excel details: Project column is column J Grand ...

Changes to Outlook Beta
Does anyone know if Microsoft plans on making the following changes to its new version of Outlook? * Easier syncronization with more than one computer without the need for a Microsoft Exchange server (i.e. with a laptop on the same home network)? * Easier archiving and deleted/saved message handling? Johnny We won't know until the beta comes in a few weeks. Anyone who knows now is under NDA and won't say... plus I wouldn't necessarily trust their definition of "easier".... I want to see it in action so I know exactly what it does. :) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Ou...

How do you limit the total allowed for a group of cells?
I am trying to limit the number of hours that my employees can log. How do I prevent the total of 3 cells from exceeding 80 hours. I tried to limit it through the validation menu, but I have been unable to figure it out. (By the way, they can log in decimals, not just whole numbers). Try this... Data Validation Allow: Custom Formula: =SUM($A1:$C1)<=80 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "abby" <abby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CB7BC93-4A66-476E-B279-77E86800BFF0@microsoft.com... >I am trying to limit the number of hours that my emp...

Translucent Fonts
Working with Word 2007. Have a reason for the use of transparent fonts if such a thing exists. What can be done to make existing fonts transparent?. If third party software is required is there a microsoft compatible and 'approved' list. Guidance sought. Hello Maurice Maurice wrote: > Working with Word 2007. Have a reason for the use of transparent fonts if > such a thing exists. What can be done to make existing fonts transparent?. > If third party software is required is there a microsoft compatible and > 'approved' list. Guidance sought....

publisher 2002: fonts print as squares
I have tried the suggestion of reinstalling adobe type manager, removing some font files as microsoft website suggests and still no luck. any suggestions? Hi PAUL (paulipclasalle@aol.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have tried the suggestion of reinstalling adobe type || manager, removing some font files as microsoft website || suggests and still no luck. any suggestions? Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about printer drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix the problems you are encountering. If you have not already done so, you wou...

How do I print a font list using font name in the fonts?
I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that particular font. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FontSampleGenerator.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Rich641" <Rich641@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB860C6E-32E3-4C5F-B695-0B479B9BE4CF@microsoft.com... >I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that >particular > font. > ...

Exch 5.5 SP4 and IMS Port Change
How do I change the outbound port number for which the IMS communicates? I have an outbound gateway that I want to configure to communicate on a different port other than 25. I have looked all over and all I find is how to change the inbound port for IMS. Thanks. Thanks. I found this too...but the MS Q article states that it only applies for inbound port, not outbound. I need IMS to connect to another SMTP server on a different port. Thanks again. "Chad P." <ChadP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54B3F170-819B-490B-A10A-CE0D38927B4D@microsoft.com... &g...

Track Changes Colour 03-26-10
In Excel 2003, how can I change the colour that track changes displays in? At the moment changes are showing up in Navy which is not easily identifiable against black. ...

Color changes when I publish to PDF
I have prepared an A0 sized poster in MS Publisher but when I go to Publish it to PDF all the Blue and Red Text boxes change to black. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I am using MS Publisher 2007 -- Cheers Rob Are you using the Microsoft add-in? Try a different converter, see if that solves your problem. There are many free converters around. www.primopdf.com is mentioned here often. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Robbo" <Robbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C46D8867-D26A-413E-8A4D-38B1408DBF29@microsoft.com... &...

Font colour not printed
When I change the font colour of text in a cell, the colour is not printed (comes out black). Solid lines (cell borders) can be coloured and printed. What's that all about? -- Thanks, Brian Toothill ...

Password Change Utility
We have tried to enable the password change utility through Outlook web access, but when we click on password change button, a new screen comes with blank page and an error message. "The page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings " Dear Asif, You need to install the Certificate and Enable the SSL.. Mohammed Mustafa "Asif" <s_asifahmed@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5C39EB27-439D-4926-9AD2-67374B1188AD@micro...

Need "Bold Fonts" on some folders in the "All Mail Folders".
In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several Folders that I keep expanded and having the Main Folders in Bold Fonts would help the folder I am looking for "Jump Out". Can anyone Help? Nope, Outlook doesn't support that. Keith wrote: > In the "ALL Mail Folders" above the Navigation Pane I would like to make the > Folder Names to be BOLD and hane the sub-folders normal. I have several > Folders that I keep expanded and having the ...

How do I change the color of the font shadow in Publisher2003
I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Chris <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to put a mail merge field in a publisher document and > highlight it with a shadow colour other than grey. Create a second text box with the merge field in, displace it slightly, send it behind the first text box and change the font colour. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

Font problem with metafile
I have the following code to draw vertical text to a DC. LOGFONT lf; lf.lfEscapement = 900; lf.lfOrientation = 900; CFont font; font.CreateFontIndirect(&lf); CFont* pOldFont = pDC->SelectObject(&font); pDC->TextOut(...); .... it draws correctly on the screen but not to a metafile. When I insert the metafile to Word the text is not vertical. But on the save machine when I insert it to Excel the text is vertical. What could be the problem. Can anybody help me. xiaoguo ge, If the metafile looks like expected in Excel, but not in Word, I would normally say that this seems to...

Changing column widths and decimal accurancy
Hi - I have 2 Q's for anyone happy to help... 1. Is it possible to change the column widths in some windows? I specifically would like to change the default width in the discount screens (Settings --> Product Catalog --> Discount Lists --> Discounts) so that "Begin Quantity", "End Quantity" and "Percentage" are all displayed on screen with a much small colum width. 2. How can I cange the default decimal accuracy in the smae discount screens from 5 decimal places to just 1 ? Many thanks ...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...