Hotkey for Font color change while editing cell.

  • Follow

Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
communication and then set that new text to bold blue.

I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
without having to take my hands off the keyboard.

Is this possible?
0
Reply Utf 1/29/2010 4:56:04 PM

go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.

stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.

go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
folder, and double click on the module.

delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this

    With Selection
    .Font.ColorIndex = 5
    End With

save the sheet.

now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue

"Jason" wrote:

> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>
> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>
> Is this possible?
0
Reply Utf 1/29/2010 5:06:04 PM

This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
run macros while in edit mode?

Thanks!

"joemeshuggah" wrote:

> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>
> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>
> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
> folder, and double click on the module.
>
> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>
>     With Selection
>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>     End With
>
> save the sheet.
>
> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
> >
> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
> >
> > Is this possible?
0
Reply Utf 1/29/2010 7:38:06 PM

I think joem misunderstood your post.

He assumed your added text was in a cell by itself.

You are appending text to current text in a cell?

No option to allow macros while in edit mode.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:38:06 -0800, Jason <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
>currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
>run macros while in edit mode?
>
>Thanks!
>
>"joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>     With Selection
>>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>     End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>> >
>> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?

0
Reply Gord 1/29/2010 8:51:56 PM

On 1/29/2010 11:38 AM, Jason wrote:
> This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
> currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
> run macros while in edit mode?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>      With Selection
>>      .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>      End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>>> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>>> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>>> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>>> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>>>
>>> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>>> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?

After editing, hit Enter, then up-arrow, then the macro hot key. That
should work without taking your fingers off the keyboard, which is what
you wanted in your original request.

Bill
0
Reply Bill 1/29/2010 11:47:16 PM