Function to determine if a cell contains a formula

  • Follow

In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell contains
a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return a
certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).

Thank you.
DoubleZ
0
Reply Utf 3/25/2010 5:17:03 PM

Hi,

How about a UDF. Alt + F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'this workbook'
and insert module and paste the code in

Call with

=isformula(A1)

Function IsFormula(cel As Range) As String
    If cel.HasFormula Then
        IsFormula = "It's a formula"
    Else
        IsFormula = "It's not a formula"
    End If
End Function
--
Mike

question.

"DoubleZ" wrote:

> In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell contains
> a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return a
> certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
> answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).
>
> Thank you.
> DoubleZ
0
Reply Utf 3/25/2010 5:35:01 PM

Unfortunately, no. You could use a short UDF to determine this though. To
install the UDF, open the VBE (Alt+F11) and goto Insert, module. Paste the
following in:

'==========
Function IsFormula(r As Range) As Boolean
IsFormula = Left(r.Formula, 1) = "="
End Function
'==========

Close the VBE, and back in your workbook, you can simply use the formula
=IsFormula(A1)
to check if a cell contains a formula or not.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"DoubleZ" <DoubleZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell
> contains
> a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return a
> certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
> answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).
>
> Thank you.
> DoubleZ

0
Reply Luke 3/25/2010 5:43:10 PM

For many years, the documentation for the CELL function stated that
you could use it to determine whether a cell has a formula, but it
never worked. So they changed the documentation.

You have to use a VBA function:

Public Function HasFormula(R As Range) As Boolean
	HasFormula = R(1,1).HasFormula
End If

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:17:03 -0700, DoubleZ
<DoubleZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell contains
>a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return a
>certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
>answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).
>
>Thank you.
>DoubleZ
0
Reply Chip 3/25/2010 5:59:15 PM

Borrowing from Mike's post...

Function IsFormula(r As Range) As Boolean
IsFormula = r.HasFormula
End Function

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Luke M" <lukemoraga@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, no. You could use a short UDF to determine this though. To
> install the UDF, open the VBE (Alt+F11) and goto Insert, module. Paste the
> following in:
>
> '==========
> Function IsFormula(r As Range) As Boolean
> IsFormula = Left(r.Formula, 1) = "="
> End Function
> '==========
>
> Close the VBE, and back in your workbook, you can simply use the formula
> =IsFormula(A1)
> to check if a cell contains a formula or not.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "DoubleZ" <DoubleZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell
>> contains
>> a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return
>> certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
>> answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).
>>
>> Thank you.
>> DoubleZ

0
Reply Luke 3/25/2010 6:08:26 PM

Thank you Mike and Luke!  I am surprised to hear that Excel does not have
that functionality built in, but at least it isn't a difficult UDF.

Thanks again.
DoubleZ

"Luke M" wrote:

> Unfortunately, no. You could use a short UDF to determine this though. To
> install the UDF, open the VBE (Alt+F11) and goto Insert, module. Paste the
> following in:
>
> '==========
> Function IsFormula(r As Range) As Boolean
> IsFormula = Left(r.Formula, 1) = "="
> End Function
> '==========
>
> Close the VBE, and back in your workbook, you can simply use the formula
> =IsFormula(A1)
> to check if a cell contains a formula or not.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> "DoubleZ" <DoubleZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In excel 2007, is there a formula to determine whether or not a cell
> > contains
> > a formula?  Basically I want to do and If/Then function that will return a
> > certain answer if a cell contains a formula and will return a different
> > answer if the cell only contains text (that was manually entered in).
> >
> > Thank you.
> > DoubleZ
>

> .

0