Counting of cells with a specific color filled

Hello experts,

I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?

Thanks in advance,
Atiq

use the COUNTIF() function, the criteria is whatever was used in conditional
formatting to change the color fill of the cell.  If conditional formatting
was not used to color the cell, you can't do it.  (unless you use Visual
Basic programming)

"Atiq" wrote:

> Hello experts,
>
> I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Atiq

Cells are filled manually with a specific color, not with COUNTIF() function.
Do i need to learn VB to perform this calculation?

"dlw" wrote:

> use the COUNTIF() function, the criteria is whatever was used in conditional
> formatting to change the color fill of the cell.  If conditional formatting
> was not used to color the cell, you can't do it.  (unless you use Visual
> Basic programming)
>
> "Atiq" wrote:
>
> > Hello experts,
> >
> > I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> > colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> > colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> > green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Atiq

There is no built-in excel function to do this. But you can use a UDF that
looks at the range and returns the sum of color.  But that function will not
recalculate if you change color.  Every time you change the color you will
need to recalculate or wait excel to recalculate...

To install the UDF (User Defined function). From workbook launch VBE using
Alt+F11. From menu Insert a Module and paste the below function.Close and get
back to workbook and try the below formula.

Function COLORCOUNT(varRange As Range, varColor As Range)
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In varRange
If cell.Interior.ColorIndex = varColor.Interior.ColorIndex Then
ColorCount = ColorCount + 1
End If
Next
End Function

ITo use the as a formula in range A1:A10 try the below; which will count the
number of blue cells....The second argument denotes the colored cell.

=COLORCOUNT(A1:A10,B1)

--
Jacob

"Atiq" wrote:

> Hello experts,
>
> I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Atiq

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html for a working
example

--

HTH

Bob

"Atiq" <Atiq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello experts,
>
> I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Atiq

2
Bob
3/11/2010 3:15:55 PM
Thanks Jacob.
I tried it but is giving error in formula when i apply it. Can you re-check
or may be i am making some mistake in its application...

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> There is no built-in excel function to do this. But you can use a UDF that
> looks at the range and returns the sum of color.  But that function will not
> recalculate if you change color.  Every time you change the color you will
> need to recalculate or wait excel to recalculate...
>
> To install the UDF (User Defined function). From workbook launch VBE using
> Alt+F11. From menu Insert a Module and paste the below function.Close and get
> back to workbook and try the below formula.
>
> Function COLORCOUNT(varRange As Range, varColor As Range)
> Dim cell As Range
> For Each cell In varRange
> If cell.Interior.ColorIndex = varColor.Interior.ColorIndex Then
> ColorCount = ColorCount + 1
> End If
> Next
> End Function
>
> ITo use the as a formula in range A1:A10 try the below; which will count the
> number of blue cells....The second argument denotes the colored cell.
>
> =COLORCOUNT(A1:A10,B1)
>
> --
> Jacob
>

> "Atiq" wrote:
>
> > Hello experts,
> >
> > I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> > colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> > colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> > green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Atiq

>But that function will not recalculate if you change color.
>Every time you change the color you will need to
>recalculate or wait excel to recalculate...

Which is why you should not base calculations on cell formats!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jacob Skaria" <JacobSkaria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is no built-in excel function to do this. But you can use a UDF that
> looks at the range and returns the sum of color.  But that function will
> not
> recalculate if you change color.  Every time you change the color you will
> need to recalculate or wait excel to recalculate...
>
> To install the UDF (User Defined function). From workbook launch VBE using
> Alt+F11. From menu Insert a Module and paste the below function.Close and
> get
> back to workbook and try the below formula.
>
> Function COLORCOUNT(varRange As Range, varColor As Range)
> Dim cell As Range
> For Each cell In varRange
> If cell.Interior.ColorIndex = varColor.Interior.ColorIndex Then
> ColorCount = ColorCount + 1
> End If
> Next
> End Function
>
> ITo use the as a formula in range A1:A10 try the below; which will count
> the
> number of blue cells....The second argument denotes the colored cell.
>
> =COLORCOUNT(A1:A10,B1)
>
> --
> Jacob
>

> "Atiq" wrote:
>
>> Hello experts,
>>
>> I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
>> colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
>> colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
>> green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Atiq

Thanks Bob.
I went through this link and followed instructions. Now forumal is giving no
errors but result of formula is 0 though there are 20 cells in that specified
range (A1:A100) filled with Red color.

Can you please advise whether i am making any mistake?

Thanks in advance, Atiq

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html for a working
> example
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> "Atiq" <Atiq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello experts,
> >
> > I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
> > colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
> > colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
> > green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Atiq
> >

> .

No, that is impossible without seeing the workbook, and what you have done
to it, unless you can give a much more detailed explanation.

--

> Thanks Bob.
> I went through this link and followed instructions. Now forumal is giving
> no
> errors but result of formula is 0 though there are 20 cells in that
> specified
> range (A1:A100) filled with Red color.
>
> Can you please advise whether i am making any mistake?
>
> Thanks in advance, Atiq
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html for a working
>> example
>>
>> --
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "Atiq" <Atiq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello experts,
>> >
>> > I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with
>> > different
>> > colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a
>> > specific
>> > colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled
>> > with
>> > green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Atiq
>> >

>> .

0
Bob
3/12/2010 11:35:11 AM
If you just need a count of those colored cells you can use the COUNT
function on the Status Bar.

Select your range of data then Edit>Find>Format>Format.

Choose a color and Find All.

In the "Found" dialog hit CTRL + a to select all the found cells.

Right-click on Status Bar and Count.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:02:01 -0800, Atiq <Atiq@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Cells are filled manually with a specific color, not with COUNTIF() function.
>Do i need to learn VB to perform this calculation?
>
>"dlw" wrote:
>
>> use the COUNTIF() function, the criteria is whatever was used in conditional
>> formatting to change the color fill of the cell.  If conditional formatting
>> was not used to color the cell, you can't do it.  (unless you use Visual
>> Basic programming)
>>
>> "Atiq" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello experts,
>> >
>> > I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different
>> > colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific
>> > colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with
>> > green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Atiq

0
Gord

Summing 2 columns cells into a 3rd colums cells
In Excel 2007, I need the to add data from column L's cells 2-93 with the data from column M's cells 2-93 and have it total in Column N's cells 2-93. I'm hoping that there is an easier way than auto summing each pair of cells. This example is the smallest range that I have to due this with and auto summing is to time consuming. Please if you have a formula that I can use it would be extremly helpful. Just in case you haven't notice I'm still in the learning stages.................. -- Thank You, Wayne Cadigan Hi Wayne You can still do this ...

Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?
I have a row that has merged column cells. Even if I choose autofit, it will not autofit. Is tehre a way to do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you search the group archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech that may work for you. In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelf...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Cycle Counting

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Count

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Line count

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...

updating time once only when a cell is filled
Hi, Excuse my lack of experience with excel, I tried to get an answer googling for this problem I have, but I didn't succeed yet solving it. I'm trying to fill a form using excel, but I want that whenever a cell is filled, the time it was filled is updated. The problem I find is that time is updated in all the cells whenever a cell is change, do I make myself clear?, imagine I have these table: A B 1 +if(a1="","",now()) 2 +if(a2="","",now()) So initially I have: A B 1 2...

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

Counting sales

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Is it possible to plot discontiguous cells?
Hi, I posted this yesterday in Miscellaneous, but thought it would be a good idea to ask here, too. I have a column which returns data from other columns based on a set of formulas. The result in each cell can be either a number (to plot in a line chart) or a blank and/or "-" sign like so: 5 - - 3 - - - 8 I would like to be able to chart only the numbers which result in this column. The dashes and numbers will not always position in the same manner as the calculations are altered by user input (therefore I cannot merely return the next number a fixed rows down into another colum...

Changed Cell Address
I am using the Sub shown below. Question: How do I determine the address of the changed cell? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim WatchRange As Range Dim IntersectRange As Range Set WatchRange = Range("E1:E31") Set IntersectRange = Intersect(Target, WatchRange) If IntersectRange Is Nothing Then 'MsgBox "Changes occured outside of range" Else 'MsgBox "You modified the selected range of cells" Application.Run "Test.xls!Time_Stamp" End If End Sub Hi Richard maybe target.address Cheers JulieD "Richard"...