Text-wrapping horizontal axis labels

Follow
Email
Hi,

I've a small problem which I can't seem to find a solution for - I have
created a set of financial reports for a client, which includes a number of
charts. The charts are waterfall charts, which I've constructed using a form
of stacked bar chart. The labels for the horizontal axis are linked to text
alongside the calculations for the charts.

The text in the labels is of varying lengths and for some of the charts,
this text is being wrapped to two layers on the label that appear on the
chart. Every now and then, one of the labels is too long, and instead of
wrapping to three layers (as I would expect it to) the text is not wrapped at
all, on any of the labels, and so simply overlaps all the other labels.

I know that lengthening the axis would help, but the size of the graph is
standardised so that the reports are visually consistent. Also, I'm reluctant
to change the font size of the label for the same reason. A manual carriage
return in the cell containing the text for the label will accomplish wrapping
to three layers for me, but it would seem to me that there should be a
control for text-wrapping on axis labels that I use to change this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
LAird
0
Reply Utf 3/29/2010 4:41:01 PM

Hi LAird,

unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of human
intervention when it comes to resizing the label boxes or the wrapping.

This has been an annoyance for a long time.

cheers, teylyn

--
teylyn

Teylyn  --  'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com)
teylyn's Profile: 983
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=191426

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
Reply teylyn 3/30/2010 11:35:48 AM
"XXX stubbornly resists any kind of human intervention"

Unfortunately so many elements of Excel charting can complete this sentence.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 3/30/2010 7:35 AM, teylyn wrote:
> Hi LAird,
>
> unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of human
> intervention when it comes to resizing the label boxes or the wrapping.
>
> This has been an annoyance for a long time.
>
> cheers, teylyn
>

> LAird;684976 Wrote:
>>
> Hi,
>>
>> I've a small problem which I can't seem to find a solution for - I
> have
>> created a set of financial reports for a client, which includes a
> number of
>> charts. The charts are waterfall charts, which I've constructed using a
> form
>> of stacked bar chart. The labels for the horizontal axis are linked to
> text
>> alongside the calculations for the charts.
>>
>> The text in the labels is of varying lengths and for some of the
> charts,
>> this text is being wrapped to two layers on the label that appear on
> the
>> chart. Every now and then, one of the labels is too long, and instead
> of
>> wrapping to three layers (as I would expect it to) the text is not
> wrapped at
>> all, on any of the labels, and so simply overlaps all the other
> labels.
>>
>> I know that lengthening the axis would help, but the size of the graph
> is
>> standardised so that the reports are visually consistent. Also, I'm
> reluctant
>> to change the font size of the label for the same reason. A manual
> carriage
>> return in the cell containing the text for the label will accomplish
> wrapping
>> to three layers for me, but it would seem to me that there should be a
>> control for text-wrapping on axis labels that I use to change this.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> LAird

0
Reply Jon 3/30/2010 10:53:43 PM
Here's what I ended up doing:
[code]
LastRows = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA _
(Sheets(tname).Range("K:K"))
For a = 1 To LastRows
    Range("K" & a).Select
    If Len(Selection.Value) > 65 Then Selection.Value _
    = Left(Selection.Value, 60)
    For b = 1 To Int(Len(Selection.Value) / 12)
        Selection.Value = Left(Selection.Value, b * 13 _
        - 1) & Chr(10) & Right(Selection.Value, _
        Len(Selection.Value) - b * 13 + 1)
    Next b
Next a
Rows("1:2000").RowHeight = 15
[/code]

Basically I cycle through all the category labels (I have them in K1:K10 or whatever) and insert a return in the text after every 12 characters, so it's wrapped in effect. The downside is that it will split words across the return, but I was desperate. Maybe with more work you could have it look for the next space character and tell it to return if there will be more than N characters on that line.

To change the number of characters per line, change "12" to N and "13" to N+1... that should work.

Good luck,
-Joe

LAird wrote:

Text-wrapping horizontal axis labels
29-Mar-10

Hi,

I have a small problem which I cannot seem to find a solution for - I have
created a set of financial reports for a client, which includes a number of
charts. The charts are waterfall charts, which I have constructed using a form
of stacked bar chart. The labels for the horizontal axis are linked to text
alongside the calculations for the charts.

The text in the labels is of varying lengths and for some of the charts,
this text is being wrapped to two layers on the label that appear on the
chart. Every now and then, one of the labels is too long, and instead of
wrapping to three layers (as I would expect it to) the text is not wrapped at
all, on any of the labels, and so simply overlaps all the other labels.

I know that lengthening the axis would help, but the size of the graph is
standardised so that the reports are visually consistent. Also, I am reluctant
to change the font size of the label for the same reason. A manual carriage
return in the cell containing the text for the label will accomplish wrapping
to three layers for me, but it would seem to me that there ishould be a
control for text-wrapping on axis labels that I use to change this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
LAird

On Monday, March 29, 2010 12:41 PM
LAird wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:35 AM
teylyn wrote:

Hi LAird,unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of
Hi LAird,

unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of human
intervention when it comes to resizing the label boxes or the wrapping.

This has been an annoyance for a long time.

cheers, teylyn

LAird;684976 Wrote:
Hi,
have
number of
form
text
charts,
the
of
wrapped at
labels.
is
reluctant
carriage
wrapping

--
teylyn

Teylyn  --  'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com)
teylyn's Profile: 983
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=191426

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:53 PM
Jon Peltier wrote:

"XXX stubbornly resists any kind of human intervention"Unfortunately so many
"XXX stubbornly resists any kind of human intervention"

Unfortunately so many elements of Excel charting can complete this sentence.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 3/30/2010 7:35 AM, teylyn wrote:

Scrolling in WPF Toolkit?s Column Chart
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0939d60c-8e17-4a27-b898-1fc772d2d6f6/scrolling-in-wpf-toolkits-column-chart.aspx
0
Reply theradpotato (2) 7/26/2010 11:21:06 PM

teylyn wrote:

Hi LAird,unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of
Hi LAird,

unfortunately, axis labels stubbornly resist any kind of human
intervention when it comes to resizing the label boxes or the wrapping.

This has been an annoyance for a long time.

cheers, teylyn

LAird;684976 Wrote:
Hi,
have
number of
form
text
charts,
the
of
wrapped at
labels.
is
reluctant
carriage
wrapping

--

Jon Peltier wrote:

"XXX stubbornly resists any kind of human intervention"Unfortunately so many
"XXX stubbornly resists any kind of human intervention"

Unfortunately so many elements of Excel charting can complete this sentence.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 3/30/2010 7:35 AM, teylyn wrote:

On Monday, July 26, 2010 7:20 PM
Joe Omundson wrote:

Crude solution
[...]

BizTalk: Parallel Processing with Correlation
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6b1df1e9-e8fc-4dc1-a810-1245a8ef0208/biztalk-parallel-processing-with-correlation.aspx
0
Reply theradpotato (2) 7/26/2010 11:22:05 PM
Follow
Email

TEXT = text

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Chart labels do not print in 2003
My spread has several sheets and two of these have eight graphs on each - all sized to fit on one A4 page per sheet. Since i have upgraded to Excel 2003 from 2000, some chart titles no longer print. I have upgraded my printer drivers and also tried this on other Excel 2003 machines, and they have the same problem. However, if i go back to an Excel 2000 machine it prints fine. The report is distributed to users of both versions. Any ideas how to fix this? I don't really have a guess. Have you tried it on different printers (if you have them available)? If you create a small test work...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

Re: Using Text Styles

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

How to get the text of each selection?
Hi, Dear All We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection? Cheers! osen Sorry, it is not really possible. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424. The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FA...

Further Info on changing text in one cell to to criteria of another.
I have a workbook that charts the progress of my clients. One of m cells automatically determines their age, and when they become olde than six, I need another cell's text to automatically change to "AO (standing for "Aged Out" of my program). I cannot us the functio =IF(A1>6,"AO"," ") because I already have the clients status imputed i that cell. I need it to be a type of conditional formatting or VB cod so that it will automatically change once the reach 6. I have attache an example of my workbook. It has a VB code that changes the row colo based on ...

Text Search in for the field of memo does not workd
hello, Here is my VBA, but does not work for text search in my textbox search. Private Sub Txtcari_AfterUpdate() Dim strSQL As String strFilter = "([Nota] LIKE """ & "*" & Me.Txtcari & "*" & """)" Me.Filter = strFilter Me.FilterOn = True CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError End Sub Thanks in advance for your help. -- H. Frank Situmorang You've declared strSQL, and you attempt to use its content with the Execute method, but you haven't assigned anything to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access M...

Current Year to display in text
Is there a way to get the current year to display in a title if there is other text with it? For example: I have a sheet with the following text in it: 2011 Benefit Time I'm looking for a way have just the year update itself at the change of the new year so when someone opens a blank form in 2012, it will read 2012 Benefit Time Again, the title is all in once cell with it centered. I would rather not place the date in the cell by itself. Is there a way to insert just a date prior to text inside a cell? Or Is there an insert date option like in MS word? Hi Gadgetman, Am Thu, 23 ...

Cropping text from a number
Hi I am doing a staight comparisions of two numbers in two different cells (a percentage increase) However one of the numbers I am using has an asterisk on the left hand end of the number. Obviously excel cannot calculate the increase given it is not redaing the cell as a number. How can I right a formula so that excell does not read the asterisk rather only the number any help would be appreciated Hi Matt! You could set up an extra column to the right of the offending numbers and use: Data > Text to Columns Or you could set up and extra column and parse the offending numbers ...

How do I wrap text in a text box around another text box
I'm creating a newsletter with columns. I have a horizontal text box with the article title. I want the vertical column at the same height as the top of the horizontal column. Right now the text in the vertical column is going through some of the horizontal box. I want it to wrap. I've tried to selecting "square" for each of the two boxes wrapping style. Nothing changes. How do I get the text to wrap around the horizontal text box? I'm using Publisher 2003 I found a way around this by copying another textbox from the template that was apprently already set ...

Text Box within a Text Box
I am creating a brochure and want to put a testimonial (text box) in within a services text box. I would like the text in the services text box to continue to flow around the testimonial text box. How do I make this work? THANKS, MEG Right-click the services text box, format text box, layout tab, select square or tight. Be certain the testimonial text box is in front. Actually it should flow around automatically. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MEG" <MEG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...