How do I chart contours in Excel 2007?

  • Follow

I have some geophysical data I want to chart. How can I generate contours, or
with the surface chart, how can I change the values for the coloured bands?
Thank you
0
Reply Utf 3/3/2010 3:29:02 PM

EXCEL 2007

Try a Surface Chart.

To set one up:-

Hit the F1 Help Facility Key

In the Browse Excel Help section click on Charts

Next click on Chart types

Next click on Present your data in a surface chart

There are detailed instructions in here as to how to set one up.

"tpmbrian" wrote:

> I have some geophysical data I want to chart. How can I generate contours, or
> with the surface chart, how can I change the values for the coloured bands?
> Thank you
0
Reply Utf 3/3/2010 6:19:01 PM

Don't get your hopes up, Excel's contour/surface charts are not very
sophisticated. The long and lat are categorical, not numeric, and the
algorithms that generate contours is rudimentary.

I've written about these charts in details:

Contour and Surface Charts in Excel 2007
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/contour-and-surface-charts-in-excel-2007/

Surface and Contour Charts in Microsoft Excel
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=447

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 3/3/2010 10:29 AM, tpmbrian wrote:
> I have some geophysical data I want to chart. How can I generate contours, or
> with the surface chart, how can I change the values for the coloured bands?
> Thank you
0
Reply Jon 3/4/2010 3:42:08 PM

(page loaded in 0.037 seconds)