Detailed Tape Inventory failing

  • Follow

This is the error I receive.  It appears the inventory is trying to run when
the tape drive is already busy writing backups.  Is there not enough
intelligence built into DPM to recognize when the tape is being written to?

"The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID: 3316)
Operation failed since the slot 12 in library IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape
Library was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive LTO Tape drive
(ID: 24027)"
0
Reply Utf 2/24/2010 3:11:02 PM

        This is a known issue, it’s the problem with the Library driver.
Please make sure that you have the latest driver available from Library
manufacturer. If you are already having it then DPM can’t work with this
library(Please see below more on technical data on the Library driver
problem). You can take a look at the list of libraries which are being
tested with DPM at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dpm/cc678583.aspx.

Problem details with the Library Driver:
Changer has following feature flag present:-
CHANGER_PREDISMOUNT_EJECT_REQUIRED, The changer requires an explicit command
issued through a mass storage driver (tape, disk, or CD-ROM, for example) to
eject media from a drive before the changer can move the media from a drive
to a slot. If the changer ejects media automatically, the miniclass driver
should clear this flag.

If this flag is present DPM does a Drive accessibility check before doing
actual move media. The IOCTL called are: IOCTL_INIT_ELEMNT_STATUS &
IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS

If in the result of  IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS drive is not
accessible (i.e ELEMENT_STATUS_ACCESS not present) DPM will fail the
dismount command. The Library is not responding correctly when due to an
issue with the driver:- IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS should return the
drive as accessible even if media is present in the drive. This is not
happening hence its failing.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"techraider04" <techraider04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the error I receive.  It appears the inventory is trying to run
> when
> the tape drive is already busy writing backups.  Is there not enough
> intelligence built into DPM to recognize when the tape is being written
> to?
>
> "The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID:
> 3316)
> Operation failed since the slot 12 in library IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape
> Library was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive LTO Tape drive
> (ID: 24027)"

0
Reply Praveen 2/25/2010 9:38:16 AM

Consider a scenario where one is not aware that a particular tape is being
written to when the inventory job is run. It is DPM's duty to tell the admin
that the tape could not be inventoried and the admin's intent was not
completely met.

--
Pranay Prabhakar  [MSFT]
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
"techraider04" <techraider04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the error I receive.  It appears the inventory is trying to run
> when
> the tape drive is already busy writing backups.  Is there not enough
> intelligence built into DPM to recognize when the tape is being written
> to?
>
> "The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID:
> 3316)
> Operation failed since the slot 12 in library IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape
> Library was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive LTO Tape drive
> (ID: 24027)"

0
Reply Pranay 2/25/2010 9:39:59 AM

(page loaded in 0.091 seconds)