Moving servers

  • Follow

Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
deployment) from one location to another and now none of
the users are able to log in.

We've determined that it's because the server used to be
part of a trust relationship with the network it used to
be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
domain that no longer exist (in the new location).

Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no longer
be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as well?
Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well as
alternatives?
0
Reply Rafael 7/23/2004 7:45:42 PM

these tools allow you to move a CRM system one one domain to another. Can
you confirm what you were actually doing as it does appear you have taken a
CRM system server and dropped it into another domain?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bfced393-61db-49af-9a50-4a90b311fa7d&DisplayLang=en#filelist

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Rafael Gomez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
> deployment) from one location to another and now none of
> the users are able to log in.
>
> We've determined that it's because the server used to be
> part of a trust relationship with the network it used to
> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>
> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no longer
> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as well?
> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well as
> alternatives?

0
Reply John 7/24/2004 6:15:04 PM

Hi John,

The CRM system server was in one physical location and
was part of a trust set up with a domain that it is no
longer a part of.  It's been moved to a different
location and now is the Domain Server in the new location.

If I could just remove the reference to the previous
domain from the user accounts I think everything would be
ok, but this is not possible in the Microsoft CRM
Settings User forms.

I'd really rather not reinstall and redeploy MS CRM if at
all possible ...and it seems that this is what the tools
you point me to do.

Can I not create a new set of users (same as the old ones
but with the correct domain) in AD reassign the existing
licenses to the new users and then reassign the contacts,
accounts etc to the new users?  The system has no
customizations or custom reports of any importance, so it
seems like this might be a more expedient way of doing
things.  What are the drawbacks to this approach?

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0
Reply Rafael 7/24/2004 9:30:17 PM

Hi John,

We have 2 NICs on our server and have setup exchange /
CRM.

So... In theory changing the domain on the external card
should present no problems. Do you thing that will work
ok.

e.g.

our internal domain is mycompany.local
our external domain id mycompany.co.uk

We want to relocate the server to mycompany.com

Do you think that will have any effect on the crm?

Thanks
Barry

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0
Reply Barry 7/26/2004 3:55:30 PM

Rafael,

Take a look at the redeployment tool as in this case, I think that's what you
really need.  CRM tracks the SID of the AD objects internally so moving into a
new Domain is next to impossible.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:30:17 -0700, "Rafael Gomez"

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0