Moving servers

Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
deployment) from one location to another and now none of
the users are able to log in.

We've determined that it's because the server used to be
part of a trust relationship with the network it used to
be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
domain that no longer exist (in the new location).

Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no longer
be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as well?
Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well as
alternatives?
0
Rafael
7/23/2004 7:45:42 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

these tools allow you to move a CRM system one one domain to another. Can
you confirm what you were actually doing as it does appear you have taken a
CRM system server and dropped it into another domain?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bfced393-61db-49af-9a50-4a90b311fa7d&DisplayLang=en#filelist

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Rafael Gomez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
> deployment) from one location to another and now none of
> the users are able to log in.
>
> We've determined that it's because the server used to be
> part of a trust relationship with the network it used to
> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>
> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no longer
> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as well?
> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well as
> alternatives?

0
John
7/24/2004 6:15:04 PM
Hi John,

The CRM system server was in one physical location and
was part of a trust set up with a domain that it is no
longer a part of.  It's been moved to a different
location and now is the Domain Server in the new location.

If I could just remove the reference to the previous
domain from the user accounts I think everything would be
ok, but this is not possible in the Microsoft CRM
Settings User forms.

I'd really rather not reinstall and redeploy MS CRM if at
all possible ...and it seems that this is what the tools
you point me to do.

Can I not create a new set of users (same as the old ones
but with the correct domain) in AD reassign the existing
licenses to the new users and then reassign the contacts,
accounts etc to the new users?  The system has no
customizations or custom reports of any importance, so it
seems like this might be a more expedient way of doing
things.  What are the drawbacks to this approach?

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0
Rafael
7/24/2004 9:30:17 PM
Hi John,

We have 2 NICs on our server and have setup exchange /
CRM.

So... In theory changing the domain on the external card
should present no problems. Do you thing that will work
ok.

e.g.

our internal domain is mycompany.local
our external domain id mycompany.co.uk

We want to relocate the server to mycompany.com

Do you think that will have any effect on the crm?

Thanks
Barry

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0
Barry
7/26/2004 3:55:30 PM
Rafael,

Take a look at the redeployment tool as in this case, I think that's what you
really need.  CRM tracks the SID of the AD objects internally so moving into a
new Domain is next to impossible.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:30:17 -0700, "Rafael Gomez"

wrote in message
>> Recently, we moved our Microsoft CRM Server (single box
>> deployment) from one location to another and now none
of
>> the users are able to log in.
>>
>> We've determined that it's because the server used to
be
>> part of a trust relationship with the network it used
>> be a part of, so the user's accounts in AD reference a
>> domain that no longer exist (in the new location).
>>
>> Is the right thing to do to create a new user account
>> under the new domain?  Wont all the users' old
>> information (accounts, activities, contacts..) no
longer
>> be visible to them?  I guess we could reassign
>> everything, except the completed/cancelled activities,
>> right?  Or is there a way to make those visible as
well?
>> Are there any other drawbacks to this approach as well
as
>> alternatives?
>

>.

0
Matt

"soap server application faulted" when adding an action in the workflow application
I can open the workflow manager, create a rule and insert a condition. When I try to assign an action to the condition I get this error and the manager shuts down. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks for your help. ...

Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on a Win Server 2003 DC?
Hi, I want to know if we can install CRM 1.2 on a DC with Windows Server 2003 SP1? If yes, then has somebody faced any performance problem? Thanks and Regards, Harshad ...

Moving license to a new computer

Safe to Move?

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

SFO Installation Error
It appears as if other people have experienced the "Can't Find CRM Server" installation error before; however, I don't see any posts on how to fix it. Please help! I've been using the CRM Server for some time now with no problems. Every time I try to install SFO, I get the following error: Setup was unable to find an instance of the CRM components. Thanks for your help. Please make sure that the user you use to login on your pc is also known in crm with the same user name and password. this is required! Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Troy" wrot...

SBS2003 + BB Express Server?
I'm wondering if running a large Exchange store with the BB Express Server is too much to push a 32-bit server OS like SBS2003?? My limited users were earlier complaining about how slow to search their mails were (large amounts of mail! :p), so with a completely renewed install + restoring their Exchange store, am I pushing the limits of the server? I would think that if one could upgrade the RAM (I have 5 GB presently, only 3.5 GB being recognized) substantially and run a 64-bit OS, one would have more headroom, or can I get away with a year or so with the current setup? ...

Excel 2007 Run Remote/Server/Network/Shared Macro From Custom Butt
In Excel 2003 this was straightforward: add the add-in regarless of location and assign it to a button. I have tried several things in 2007 without success. I've followed the usual links (including to Rondebruin and the others!), local add-ins running remote add-ins, abused my keyboard, kicked some furniture, etc... Still I haven't found a solution. I'm sure the solution isn't as easy as in 2003 but if anyone knows it I would appreciate some advice/directions. Thanks, SQLServant ...

Can find POP3 server but not SMTP?
Hi all I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a dialogue box to try and reenter it. The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no problem there. I checked the ports - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3. I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing wi...

Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
Hi there, One of our users wanna synchronize his PDA with exchange server. I added the certificate to his device, but currently I got an HTTP_403 error, I checked the folder of \Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Sync, it's EMPTY! I've installed SP2, what do I need to install in order to use Exchange Server 2003 with Exchange ActiveSync? Thank you very much. Ray Does Activesync OTA work without SSL enabled? If so, here is a good place to start: https://www.petri.co.il/how_to_sync_ppc_with_exchange_2003.htm http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Mobile-Messaging-Part1-...

CRM installation on SBS2003 or W2K3 server?
Dear all We have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard along with a Windows Server 2003 Standard (setup as a terminal server). We would like to implement Microsoft's CRM. There are 10 users on our network. I am totally new to CRM, so sorry in advance if my questions sound a little naive. 1. Do we need to install SQL on either of the servers? If so, can we upgrade the current SBS2003 Standard to Enterprise or is it best to install SQL on the W2K3 WTS server? 2. What hardware recommendations are their for CRM? Our WTS is a much higher spec than the SBS & currently has o...

Outlook is not able to connect to my SMTP server
I use Outlook2003 for email. When I try to check my email from a POP3 server, port 110, outlook says server not found. But, the server responds to a ping. The same proble repeats with netscape mail. I am inside a LAN with a proxy, and an internal SMTP server. No other comp is facing this problem. Is this some sort of a virus attack? Please help. Some proxy software does intercept and handle POP3/SMTP calls. For example, Microsoft Proxy 2.0 installs a client on the clients machine and needs to be configured to allow POP3/SMTP calls. Could your proxy solution be interfering? "abk&qu...

Exchange Small Business Server 2003 18GB storage limit issue
Running SP2 and configured the "registry file" with DWORD , increased the size to 70GB in "Private Store" Stll get following error. Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVER)': The logical size of this database (the logical size equals the physical size of the .edb file and the .stm file minus the logical free space in each) is 18 GB. This database size has exceeded the size limit of 18 GB. Any idea please. Store gets unmonted once a week. Thanks for the help mxarun Check the spelling of the registry value as per: http://markarnold.blogspot...

Moving Folder error