Using the filter in a DAO recordset

Hi,

I have a query that uses the following criteria:

Like "CS*" Or Like "HR*" Or Like "NR*" Or Like "NS*" Or Like "SR*" Or Like
"SS*" Or Like "WR*" Or Like "WS*"

What I would like to do is use the same criteria in a record set that has
been created using VBA.

Would this be done in the .filter parameter and if so how are the quotes
within quotes coded?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
GLT.

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use single quote within the double quote

For example:

SQLStr = "Select * From TableName Where FieldName Like 'CS*' Or FieldName
Like 'HR*'"

--
Good Luck
BS"D

"GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a query that uses the following criteria:
>
> Like "CS*" Or Like "HR*" Or Like "NR*" Or Like "NS*" Or Like "SR*" Or Like
> "SS*" Or Like "WR*" Or Like "WS*"
>
> What I would like to do is use the same criteria in a record set that has
> been created using VBA.
>
> Would this be done in the .filter parameter and if so how are the quotes
> within quotes coded?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean ...

(A) You want to open a recordset using a dynamically-built SQL statement
that applies these criteria?  In that case, you'd do something like this:

    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset( _
        "SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE " & _
            "SomeField Like 'CS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'HR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'NR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'NS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'SR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'SS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'WR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'WS*'"

or do you mean ...

(B) You already have an open recordset, and you want to open a filtered
recordset from it?  In that case, you'd do something like this:

    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim rsFiltered As DAO.Recordset

    ' ... code to open recordset rs goes here somewhere ...

    ' Open rsFiltered by applying a filter to rs.
    rs.Filter = _
            "SomeField Like 'CS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'HR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'NR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'NS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'SR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'SS*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'WR*' OR " & _
            "SomeField Like 'WS*'"

    Set rsFiltered = rs.OpenRecordset

Or, of course, youy could mean something else entirely.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

1
Dirk
11/26/2007 11:57:09 PM
Hi Dirk,

Option (b) was what I was looking for but thanks to both of my responses
they provided much needed clarification.

Cheers,
GLT.

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "GLT" <GLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a query that uses the following criteria:
> >
> > Like "CS*" Or Like "HR*" Or Like "NR*" Or Like "NS*" Or Like "SR*" Or Like
> > "SS*" Or Like "WR*" Or Like "WS*"
> >
> > What I would like to do is use the same criteria in a record set that has
> > been created using VBA.
> >
> > Would this be done in the .filter parameter and if so how are the quotes
> > within quotes coded?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean ...
>
> (A) You want to open a recordset using a dynamically-built SQL statement
> that applies these criteria?  In that case, you'd do something like this:
>
>     Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>
>     Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset( _
>         "SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'CS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'HR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'NR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'NS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'SR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'SS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'WR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'WS*'"
>
> or do you mean ...
>
> (B) You already have an open recordset, and you want to open a filtered
> recordset from it?  In that case, you'd do something like this:
>
>     Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>     Dim rsFiltered As DAO.Recordset
>
>     ' ... code to open recordset rs goes here somewhere ...
>
>     ' Open rsFiltered by applying a filter to rs.
>     rs.Filter = _
>             "SomeField Like 'CS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'HR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'NR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'NS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'SR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'SS*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'WR*' OR " & _
>             "SomeField Like 'WS*'"
>
>     Set rsFiltered = rs.OpenRecordset
>
> Or, of course, youy could mean something else entirely.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> www.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

What do you use Excel for?

Filter Subform made from query
Hi, How can i filter a subform created from a query with an unbound combo box? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200802/1 ...

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

excel 2002 data filter
hello this is the case if i have in column A data like this: http://www.abc.com http://www.cba.com http://www.abc.com ok. When i press select complete column A and then select DATA - FILTER - ADVANCE FILTER - UNIQUE RECORDS ONLY i get folowing result: http://www.cba.com this is not what i want. I want to get folowing result: http://www.abc.com http://www.cba.com u see what i meen? Can u help please and thank you very much!!! On Feb 14, 2:10=A0am, Ivanko <Iva...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > hello > this is the case > > if i have in column A data lik...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

use the @ sign
i have one cell a1 that has this in it Tuesday, November 06, 2007 ii the next b1 i would like to put @7:30pm but i keep getting error @ is the way Lotus indicated a function. You can enter @SUM(A10:A100) in a cell and XL will convert it to =SUM(A10:A100) To start your cell with @, prefix it with an apostrophe - the apostrophe indicates Text, and won't be displayed. In article <88862DC0-DDEB-4245-B2BD-D2102B577B49@microsoft.com>, joen <joen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i have one cell a1 that has this in it > Tuesday, November 06, 2007 > ii the...

Use Vista to restore windows mail from backup
I use Vista 32bit backup to backup my computer. Vista 32 bit backup is not a disk image backup. I will be reinstalling everything on my computer. I use Vista Windows Mail that came with my computer for my email. How do I use Vista restore from my latest backup to restore my emails and contacts and email accounts POP/SMTP settings? I assume Vista 32 bit backup backs this up. Vista help does not specifically address this. Thank You for your Help. Bob Background info: I have a desktop AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I...