Updating values from a subform to a main form

I am putting together a form for various tenant transactions. The main form
has the tenant general info, while the subform contains transaction
information. A field in the main form is for the tenant's total balance, and
I have a field in the subform that has it calculated. The problem that I'm
having is that I can't seem to get the updated information from the subform
to the main form. It seemed that using some VBA code would help, but I don't
know how to represent a field that isn't in the form the code is written for.

On a similar note, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro
attached to a command button that can automatically fill in a record using
data from one form and a user defined string. (as in enter the name of a
month in a text box, and push a button to add a record that automatically
enters a rent amount determined in a field from one form in a defined field
from another form as well as the description of "[month] Rent" to another)

As it is, the database is nearly finished, I just need to fix the data
connections between forms and subforms. I just can't seem to get them to work.
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Silva,

I will just tackle the first question for now...

It seems strange to me that you want the total balance amount to show on
the main form, if it is already visible on the subform.  But I suppose
you must have your reasons.

So, on the main form, just put an unbound textbox.  And in the Control
Source property of the textbox, put the equivalent of this:
=[NameOfSubform]![TotalBalance]
.... substituting of course the actual name of your subform control, and
the actual name of the control on the subform where the total balance is
calculated.

--
Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

silva wrote:
> I am putting together a form for various tenant transactions. The main form
> has the tenant general info, while the subform contains transaction
> information. A field in the main form is for the tenant's total balance, and
> I have a field in the subform that has it calculated. The problem that I'm
> having is that I can't seem to get the updated information from the subform
> to the main form. It seemed that using some VBA code would help, but I don't
> know how to represent a field that isn't in the form the code is written for.
>
> On a similar note, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro
> attached to a command button that can automatically fill in a record using
> data from one form and a user defined string. (as in enter the name of a
> month in a text box, and push a button to add a record that automatically
> enters a rent amount determined in a field from one form in a defined field
> from another form as well as the description of "[month] Rent" to another)
>
> As it is, the database is nearly finished, I just need to fix the data
> connections between forms and subforms. I just can't seem to get them to work.
0
Steve
11/20/2007 11:53:17 PM
Actually, the total balance isn't intended to be seen on the subform. The
method you provided worked very well, but I still have a small issue. The
number sent from the subform to the main form needs to be stored to a field
bound to a field in a table. For smaple's sake, let's name the subform field
[B_Sum], the receiving field in the main form [Transfer_Field], and the field
bound to a table [Balance]. The problem I now have is that the VBA code
updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the expression that defines
[B_Sum] ( =Sum([Record_Value]) ) can be processed, thus giving [Balance] the
value that existed before the real update. Is there some way to perform the
Sum() function within the VBA code when moving to the next record? Or is
there another method which will allow the updating code to be processed after
the expression? I haven't found a way that works outside of setting update
code to GetFocus on other fields in the subform. I hope I wrote this in a
manner that makes sense.

"Steve Schapel" wrote:

> Silva,
>
> I will just tackle the first question for now...
>
> It seems strange to me that you want the total balance amount to show on
> the main form, if it is already visible on the subform.  But I suppose
> you must have your reasons.
>
> So, on the main form, just put an unbound textbox.  And in the Control
> Source property of the textbox, put the equivalent of this:
> =[NameOfSubform]![TotalBalance]
> .... substituting of course the actual name of your subform control, and
> the actual name of the control on the subform where the total balance is
> calculated.
>
> --
> Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
>
> silva wrote:
> > I am putting together a form for various tenant transactions. The main form
> > has the tenant general info, while the subform contains transaction
> > information. A field in the main form is for the tenant's total balance, and
> > I have a field in the subform that has it calculated. The problem that I'm
> > having is that I can't seem to get the updated information from the subform
> > to the main form. It seemed that using some VBA code would help, but I don't
> > know how to represent a field that isn't in the form the code is written for.
> >
> > On a similar note, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro
> > attached to a command button that can automatically fill in a record using
> > data from one form and a user defined string. (as in enter the name of a
> > month in a text box, and push a button to add a record that automatically
> > enters a rent amount determined in a field from one form in a defined field
> > from another form as well as the description of "[month] Rent" to another)
> >
> > As it is, the database is nearly finished, I just need to fix the data
> > connections between forms and subforms. I just can't seem to get them to work.

Edit: "...VBA code updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the
expression..." Should be:

"...VBA code updates [Transfer_Field] to [Balance] before the expression..."

"silva" wrote:

> [...]
> > > having is that I can't seem to get the updated information from the subform
> > > to the main form. It seemed that using some VBA code would help, but I don't
> > > know how to represent a field that isn't in the form the code is written for.
> > >
> > > On a similar note, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro
> > > attached to a command button that can automatically fill in a record using
> > > data from one form and a user defined string. (as in enter the name of a
> > > month in a text box, and push a button to add a record that automatically
> > > enters a rent amount determined in a field from one form in a defined field
> > > from another form as well as the description of "[month] Rent" to another)
> > >
> > > As it is, the database is nearly finished, I just need to fix the data
> > > connections between forms and subforms. I just can't seem to get them to work.

You have mentioned something about VBA code, but it is not clear what
this code is, when it executes, and what it does.

I can perhaps say that the value of the B_Sum] control on the subform
will not be updated until the entry or editing of the record has been
saved to the table.  It may be necessary to explicitly force this save,
using code like this:
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
.... and even then it may be necessary to force the refresh of the total
to the B_Sum control, using code like this:
Me.Recalc

However, it may also be worthwhile to revise the reason for the attempt
to save the total data to the Balance field.  This is a calculated or
derived value, which can always be retrieved at any time, via the use of
a simple query.  As such, we would normally regard the storing of the
result of the calculatiuon to be an invalid procedure, and would
normally advise to remove the Balance field from the table in any case.

--

silva wrote:
> Edit: "...VBA code updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the
> expression..." Should be:
>
> "...VBA code updates [Transfer_Field] to [Balance] before the expression..."
>

> "silva" wrote:
>
>> Actually, the total balance isn't intended to be seen on the subform. The
>> method you provided worked very well, but I still have a small issue. The
>> number sent from the subform to the main form needs to be stored to a field
>> bound to a field in a table. For smaple's sake, let's name the subform field
>> [B_Sum], the receiving field in the main form [Transfer_Field], and the field
>> bound to a table [Balance]. The problem I now have is that the VBA code
>> updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the expression that defines
>> [B_Sum] ( =Sum([Record_Value]) ) can be processed, thus giving [Balance] the
>> value that existed before the real update. Is there some way to perform the
>> Sum() function within the VBA code when moving to the next record? Or is
>> there another method which will allow the updating code to be processed after
>> the expression? I haven't found a way that works outside of setting update
>> code to GetFocus on other fields in the subform. I hope I wrote this in a
>> manner that makes sense.
0
Steve
11/25/2007 8:49:25 AM
I guessmy purposes aren't entirely clear, and it's a litle difficult to
explain what I want to do and why, but you have completely answered my
question. The "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord" command seems to be doing
the trick. The way I'm trying to do things, I really needed the balance to
update in the form. Having to do it through a query would have been, I
suppose inconvenient is the best word, but not entirely accurate. This
database is essentially a multi-account ledger, and it's fairly necessary to
have everything able to be updated within the form.

Anyway, the problem is solved. Thank you.  :-)

"Steve Schapel" wrote:

> Silva,
>
> You have mentioned something about VBA code, but it is not clear what
> this code is, when it executes, and what it does.
>
> I can perhaps say that the value of the B_Sum] control on the subform
> will not be updated until the entry or editing of the record has been
> saved to the table.  It may be necessary to explicitly force this save,
> using code like this:
> DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
> .... and even then it may be necessary to force the refresh of the total
> to the B_Sum control, using code like this:
> Me.Recalc
>
> However, it may also be worthwhile to revise the reason for the attempt
> to save the total data to the Balance field.  This is a calculated or
> derived value, which can always be retrieved at any time, via the use of
> a simple query.  As such, we would normally regard the storing of the
> result of the calculatiuon to be an invalid procedure, and would
> normally advise to remove the Balance field from the table in any case.
>
> --
> Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP
>
> silva wrote:
> > Edit: "...VBA code updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the
> > expression..." Should be:
> >
> > "...VBA code updates [Transfer_Field] to [Balance] before the expression..."
> >

> > "silva" wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, the total balance isn't intended to be seen on the subform. The
> >> method you provided worked very well, but I still have a small issue. The
> >> number sent from the subform to the main form needs to be stored to a field
> >> bound to a field in a table. For smaple's sake, let's name the subform field
> >> [B_Sum], the receiving field in the main form [Transfer_Field], and the field
> >> bound to a table [Balance]. The problem I now have is that the VBA code
> >> updates [Balance] to [Transfer_Field] before the expression that defines
> >> [B_Sum] ( =Sum([Record_Value]) ) can be processed, thus giving [Balance] the
> >> value that existed before the real update. Is there some way to perform the
> >> Sum() function within the VBA code when moving to the next record? Or is
> >> there another method which will allow the updating code to be processed after
> >> the expression? I haven't found a way that works outside of setting update
> >> code to GetFocus on other fields in the subform. I hope I wrote this in a
> >> manner that makes sense.

Silva,

I'm happy to know that you have it working for you.

I also understand the need for accuracy in your displayed data.

It is a common mistake in database development to put user interface
considerations ahead of proper data modelling principles.  Believe me,
there are ways to get the functionality you need, without resorting to
saving calculated values to a table.

--

silva wrote:
> I guessmy purposes aren't entirely clear, and it's a litle difficult to
> explain what I want to do and why, but you have completely answered my
> question. The "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord" command seems to be doing
> the trick. The way I'm trying to do things, I really needed the balance to
> update in the form. Having to do it through a query would have been, I
> suppose inconvenient is the best word, but not entirely accurate. This
> database is essentially a multi-account ledger, and it's fairly necessary to
> have everything able to be updated within the form.
0
Steve

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

TAG value problem/SET Tag value
i get an error message: method or data member not found: Assessment is a combo box and field name in which the user is storing a diagnosis test description. maybe the problem is the AFTERupdate part of the code: Private Sub Combo_assessmt_AfterUpdate() Dim db As Database Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Dim strSQL As String Set db = CurrentDb strSQL = "SELECT diagcode " & _ "FROM diagnosis " & _ "WHERE diagname = '" & Me!assessment & "'" Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot) Me.assessment.Tag = Nz(rs!d...

Value Axis compressed
In Excel 2003, I have several worksheets that include charts. These are all standard charts created by "Insert / Chart" and formatted with Excel's chart tools. In some of them, the value axis is highly compressed when the chart is viewed in print preview or is printed. When viewed in normal mode, the chart is OK. These are line graphs. For example, even though the values are OK, the spacing of the grid in the plot area is vertically compressed to an extreme, perhaps to as little as one-third of its normal height. The plot area is also raised to the top of the graph ...

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

send and return value from storedprocedure
Hi i have to run a storedprocedure : CREATE PROCEDURE cins_ev @out as int OUTPUT, @in as int AS SELECT @out=@in+5 RETURN 10 that gets imput parameters and returns output parameters. I read the help apge about CRecordset and i wrote some code .... but it doesnt work. this is my code, can you explain me what have i to do to let it run??? thanks Carlo class my_event : public CRecordset { public: my_event(CDatabase* pDatabase = NULL); DECLARE_DYNAMIC(my_event) // Field/Param Data //{{AFX_FIELD(my_event, CRecordset) long m_in; long m_out; //}}AFX_FIELD // Overrides // ClassWizard ge...

Assigning value to text box in a form
Hello there, I'm trying to assign a value to a text box. I thought that would have been pretty easy but I keep getting an error 2448 "You can't assign a value to this object" This is the simple code that I've been using to do so Me.txtTotalAmount.Value = "123" Any idea on what I could modify the codes to make it work? Thanks, Bruno. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200708/1 How about Me.txtTotalAmount = "123" Bob "brunogrd via AccessMonster.com" <u34397@uwe...

Anyone know how to Automatically transfer CSV data to Web page forms?
How can you populate a form fields on a html web page (client side) with data from an Excel file (CSV). The web page has several text fields for input that I manually populate. I would like to transfer the data into the web form automatically from the CSV file. How can this be done? TIA Jman -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - Jman, I had some success using the SendKeys method in VBA. It wasn't a web form -- it was a terminal emulator -- but I think I did...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

How do I match values from cells to a list of info
Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the corresponding value in the chart. A B C D 1 1 1.5 2 2 .5 2 7 12 3 1 3 8 13 4 1.5 4 9 14 5 2 5 10 15 6 2.5 6 11 16 According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another cell has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info? Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One way... A10 = vertical lookup ...

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

Set date range and filter results via form/menu for Report Preview
I created a form to use as a "print menu" for a report. You can select the date range (txtStartDate and txtStopDate). I have this part of the code working. However, I also need to be able to filter based on the job flag: [Flag] with value of 1, 2 or 3-- OR show all (still applying the date range). I created a list box on the form and named it [ReportFilter]. It's bound to the first column (hidden) with 0 for All, 1, 2 and 3 to correspond with the Flag names. I can't figure out how to get All records to show on top of not being able to incorporate with the above date range. H...

Determing active form to process function
I suppressed the Ctl-P shortcut by creating a ^p autokey macro that does nothing. Now I want Ctl-P to execute a function if a specific form is open and do nothing otherwise. I added a condition to the macro that if the active from is Data Entry ([Screen].[ActiveForm].[Name]="Data Entry"), it should run the function and the next command is StopMacro. The function runs correctly if the active form is Data Entry, but it returns the error "The Object you referenced in the Visual Basic Procedure as an OLE object isn't an OLE Object" if the screen the user is on is ...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...