Save New Record from Form

I have a form that opens with information already in filled into all of the
text boxes. The information is either from another form or defaulted into the
text boxes.

Example: The "AcctNum" is from the "NewAcct" Form. The "ReqDate" is default
"Date()". The "Status" Field is defaulted as "UnderReview".

This information only needs to be reviewed and then the form closed. With
this in mind all textboxes are locked.

When the form is closed, I want a new record saved in the table that the
form references which would be "AccountStatus".

Problem: If the date is entered manually I can create the record. With all
the textboxes locked I cannot do this. I have tried the "On Close"
acCmdSaveRecord but it does not create the record in the table. I do not
recieve any errors, but the record does not exist.
--
Rick
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"rbeach" <rbeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form that opens with information already in filled into all of the
> text boxes. The information is either from another form or defaulted into
> the
> text boxes.
>
> Example: The "AcctNum" is from the "NewAcct" Form. The "ReqDate" is
> default
> "Date()". The "Status" Field is defaulted as "UnderReview".
>
> This information only needs to be reviewed and then the form closed. With
> this in mind all textboxes are locked.
>
> When the form is closed, I want a new record saved in the table that the
> form references which would be "AccountStatus".
>
> Problem: If the date is entered manually I can create the record. With all
> the textboxes locked I cannot do this. I have tried the "On Close"
> acCmdSaveRecord but it does not create the record in the table. I do not
> recieve any errors, but the record does not exist.

How does the AcctNum get the value from the NewAcct form?  Is it picked up
by a default value expression?  If it were assigned by code, the record
would be dirty and the simple act of closing the form ought to save the
record automatically.  If the record isn't dirty, you can force it to become
dirty by assigning one of the controls' values to itself;  e.g.,

    Me.AcctNum = Me.AcctNum

The Close event is too late for this, though, as by that point the form has
already been unloaded.  You could use the Unload event, I think.

Are you sure that the user is never going to have any choice about whether
the record is saved or not?  If you code the Unload event to always save the
record, they're going to be stuck with that record, come hell or high water.
And if you're going to do that, you might as well create the record in the
table via an append query befor ever opening the form, and then just open
the form to display the record you already created.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
2/3/2010 9:29:04 PM
Thanks for your assistance. Forcing the record to dirty worked.

--
Rick

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "rbeach" <rbeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a form that opens with information already in filled into all of the
> > text boxes. The information is either from another form or defaulted into
> > the
> > text boxes.
> >
> > Example: The "AcctNum" is from the "NewAcct" Form. The "ReqDate" is
> > default
> > "Date()". The "Status" Field is defaulted as "UnderReview".
> >
> > This information only needs to be reviewed and then the form closed. With
> > this in mind all textboxes are locked.
> >
> > When the form is closed, I want a new record saved in the table that the
> > form references which would be "AccountStatus".
> >
> > Problem: If the date is entered manually I can create the record. With all
> > the textboxes locked I cannot do this. I have tried the "On Close"
> > acCmdSaveRecord but it does not create the record in the table. I do not
> > recieve any errors, but the record does not exist.
>

> How does the AcctNum get the value from the NewAcct form?  Is it picked up
> by a default value expression?  If it were assigned by code, the record
> would be dirty and the simple act of closing the form ought to save the
> record automatically.  If the record isn't dirty, you can force it to become
> dirty by assigning one of the controls' values to itself;  e.g.,
>
>     Me.AcctNum = Me.AcctNum
>
> The Close event is too late for this, though, as by that point the form has
> already been unloaded.  You could use the Unload event, I think.
>
> Are you sure that the user is never going to have any choice about whether
> the record is saved or not?  If you code the Unload event to always save the
> record, they're going to be stuck with that record, come hell or high water.
> And if you're going to do that, you might as well create the record in the
> table via an append query befor ever opening the form, and then just open
> the form to display the record you already created.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

continous form/subform question
This is mainly a general question I have. Is it possible to put a subform in the footer (or header) of a continous form or subform? Thought I would inquire first before spending time on it. Thanks. .... John Nevermind. I found out what the answer is. Thanks. .... John "JohnE" wrote: > This is mainly a general question I have. Is it possible to put a subform in > the footer (or header) of a continous form or subform? Thought I would > inquire first before spending time on it. > Thanks. > ... John ...

Increase size on continuous forms to fit widescreen
Hello, I have an access 2003 app with continuous forms / and sub forms that was developed on a 800 x 600 screen. I now have a wide sceen with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. When the app loads, the fonts and controls are too small. I googled this topic and came across ADHResize module that I could add to the project along with some code to be put in the open event of each form. Private Sub Form_Open() Set frmResize = ADHResize2K.CreateFormResize() Set frmResize.Form = Me End Sub When I run my app, there is no change to the forms as they still stay small. Any suggestions o...

Adding a new menu on the Worksheet menu bar
I tried to adapt J.Walkenbach code to add a menu item on Workbook_open but I get the following error on "HelpIndex = CommandBars(1).Controls ("Help").Index" Run-time Error '91' Object variable or with block variable not set Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim HelpIndex As Integer Dim NewMenu As CommandBarPopup ' Get Index of Help menu HelpIndex = CommandBars(1).Controls("Help").Index ' Create the control Set NewMenu = CommandBars(1) _ .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, Before:=HelpIndex, Temporary:=True) ' ...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

change resolved case form
I need to change the form that appears when a case is resolved. Is there in easy way to do that or do I have to edit the file directly. Anything that the Customization doesn't support (which in this case it doesn't)... the only other option is SDK (at least its possible or wait until future versions/3rd party supporting it)... Frank Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com >-----Original Message----- >I need to change the form that appears when a case is >resolved. Is there in easy way to do that or do I have to >edit the file directly. >. > ...

Save and save as

Task Hierarchy Messed up after creating new Task
Hi, We use Project Server 2007 (with SP1 and Infrastructure Update). Recently 2 PMs have complained that their Task Hierarchy was messed up after making relatively minor modifications to their projects like adding a task, saving and reopening. The symptom is that leaf tasks have been re-parented to other parent tasks + empty rows showed up. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a way to solve this? ashwin ...

Opening Doc's in a new Window
Hi, Currently when I am viewing a spreadsheet in excel and I want to open a different spreadsheet they open in the same window which I find awkward. I would prefer for the 2nd spreadsheet I open to start a new instance of excel so I can flick between the two on the taskbar. Is there a setting that controls this?. I'm using Excel 2003 on XP Pro. Thanks Paul Paul, Tools - Options - View, Windows in Taskbar -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's ...

Counting Multiple Records by specific criteria
Hi, I'm having problems getting the right formula to suit what I need. Basically I have a large spreadsheet containing many records and I want to count the number of records that meet three specific types of criteria. e.g. Column A = Type Column B = Status Column C = Ref No. (i.e. 1.06) The above columns have many different entries, therefore I would like to count the number of records which meet the following criteria. No of Records = Type A, Status X, Ref 1.06. I have used SUMProduct, CountIF and etc but I don't seem to be doing it correctly. I have do...

Saving Images

"Unattainable" savings goals

make new table
i have the follow problem, i have a table like this in excel worksheet... i have in collums the number of the days of one month 1,2...31, each day have / occupies 3 different collums beneath with values and the same patern for all the days, the problem is that i don't have all the fields filled with numbers but some, now i want to collect those numbers and make a new table that contains the numbers...... how i can do it? (at the A collum every row have a different name) i don't know how to describe it better but for simplicity for each row i want to have the values of every of the 3 c...

New Mailbox not showing up for some time
I just created a new account in Exchange 5.5 (5 total exchange 5.5 servers). After creating a new mailbox, I go to mhy outlook to try and resolve the name but it s not there. I then try to go into OWA and log into the new account but no luck. After some time it will show up. Why the delay, can anything be done? What's the scheduled time for Directory Replication? Maybe you can do an "Update Now"? -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided &...

Label on form question
I have a label on one particular form that displays differently depending on the user. The form is a "home screen" of a Front End MDE that has been distributed. The label in question, on 2 particular users, seems to stretch the font, which results in a portion of the left and right ends being cut off. (Alignment of the label is set to Center.) Pixel settings on ALL user's display is set to 1024x768, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. All other labels within the database are fine, including other labels that exist on that same form. What would cause this behavior? ...

Saving default tabs

setting a value to a field for all records
I need to create 'Select All' and 'Unselect All' buttons to put true or false in a yes/no field. Anyone have an idea for the easiest way to iterate through all the records? ...

Save to unProtect a Document?

New Office reminds me of New Coke
Everyone hates it. The difference is that at least with Coke, there was Pepsi. Dear MS: Please admit that his was a failure and provide a patch that allows the world to toggle back to Classic Office. Stop being so arrogant. Did you really think we were going to pay billions to re-train everyone in a flippin' recession? Geez. Engineers.... It doesn't make you bad or dumb to admit you made a mistake. It means that you learned! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this su...

Table to feed form instead of lenghty code?
Hello, I a database that is kind of like an Auction type deal. If a user enters their user ID and click the button, it will automatically display their chosen private ID (or Auction ID). What I want to know is, I have 80 people in my department and the code (only way I know how to do it) will become very long. Can I set up a table with the User ID and Private ID and when the button is clicked, have it read from the table and display the Private ID that way? Below is how I am going to do it if no alternative. Private Sub cmdStatusUpdate_Click() Me.NewBid.Locked = False ...

Adding text to a form
I tried to find an answer today but I could not I wan't to insert a stic help text in the accounts form. I do not want to use popups I jest want to put a text in the bottom of the form How do I do this? I had the same problem - I ended up creating a section to use that as my static text. You would think there would be a better solution that that, but I could not find any. "stella7113" wrote: > I tried to find an answer today but I could not > > > > I wan't to insert a stic help text in the accounts form. I do not want > to use popups I jest want...

Save csv format to dbf format