Receiving "Unknown" error opening DB tables (Office 2003 SP3)

  I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I 
cannot run the create table wizard.
Here is what I have done so far:
1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been 
set to Access 2000.
3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table 
wizard.
5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I 
receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the 
PC.

  Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Utf
1/3/2008 7:42:04 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
874 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 11

Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on 
one but not the other, it's probably the computer.

If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At 
times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup 
of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.

Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
towards the bottom this page:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.

"NCTech" wrote:

>   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I 
> cannot run the create table wizard.
> Here is what I have done so far:
> 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been 
> set to Access 2000.
> 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table 
> wizard.
> 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I 
> receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the 
> PC.
> 
>   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Utf
1/3/2008 8:17:00 PM
  I have tried this on several PCs and the database works fine.  I am able to 
open tables and run the create table wizard from other PCs.  I have also 
verified the Access configuration settings between the PCs and they are the 
same.  Re-installing Office 2003 and running system restore have not resolved 
the issue.  I have also run system file compare.  The OS is XP Pro SP2.

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on 
> one but not the other, it's probably the computer.
> 
> If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At 
> times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup 
> of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.
> 
> Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> 
> Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> 
> I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> towards the bottom this page:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> -- 
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> 
> "NCTech" wrote:
> 
> >   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I 
> > cannot run the create table wizard.
> > Here is what I have done so far:
> > 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> > 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been 
> > set to Access 2000.
> > 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> > 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table 
> > wizard.
> > 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I 
> > receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the 
> > PC.
> > 
> >   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Utf
1/3/2008 8:45:03 PM
Sometimes the uninstall doesn't get all the old Office program. I believe 
that there is a tool at Microsoft to more completely uninstall Office.

Then there could be something wrong with the Windows install or some other 
program installed on the computer that is messing with Access. I had one case 
where we finally wiped the hard drive and used the restore disk to get the 
computer back to the original configuration then reinstalled all needed 
software.
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.


"NCTech" wrote:

>   I have tried this on several PCs and the database works fine.  I am able to 
> open tables and run the create table wizard from other PCs.  I have also 
> verified the Access configuration settings between the PCs and they are the 
> same.  Re-installing Office 2003 and running system restore have not resolved 
> the issue.  I have also run system file compare.  The OS is XP Pro SP2.
> 
> "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> 
> > Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on 
> > one but not the other, it's probably the computer.
> > 
> > If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At 
> > times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup 
> > of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > 
> > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > 
> > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > 
> > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > towards the bottom this page:
> > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > -- 
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > 
> > "NCTech" wrote:
> > 
> > >   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I 
> > > cannot run the create table wizard.
> > > Here is what I have done so far:
> > > 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> > > 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been 
> > > set to Access 2000.
> > > 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> > > 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table 
> > > wizard.
> > > 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I 
> > > receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the 
> > > PC.
> > > 
> > >   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Utf
1/4/2008 1:02:02 AM
  Thank you for the help.  I tried the Microsoft tool for cleaning the Office 
install but it didn't resolve the issue.  However, I was able to find an old 
Microsoft article (#317708 rev. 4.0) which had the exact error.  I had to 
re-register Msjtes40.dll from the run command.  (regsvr32.exe 
C:\Windows\system32\msjtes40.dll)      Apparently, either one of the windows 
updates wasn't compatible with the engineering software on this PC or Access 
was left running when the updates installed overnight.

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Sometimes the uninstall doesn't get all the old Office program. I believe 
> that there is a tool at Microsoft to more completely uninstall Office.
> 
> Then there could be something wrong with the Windows install or some other 
> program installed on the computer that is messing with Access. I had one case 
> where we finally wiped the hard drive and used the restore disk to get the 
> computer back to the original configuration then reinstalled all needed 
> software.
> -- 
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> 
> 
> "NCTech" wrote:
> 
> >   I have tried this on several PCs and the database works fine.  I am able to 
> > open tables and run the create table wizard from other PCs.  I have also 
> > verified the Access configuration settings between the PCs and they are the 
> > same.  Re-installing Office 2003 and running system restore have not resolved 
> > the issue.  I have also run system file compare.  The OS is XP Pro SP2.
> > 
> > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> > 
> > > Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on 
> > > one but not the other, it's probably the computer.
> > > 
> > > If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At 
> > > times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup 
> > > of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > > 
> > > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > > 
> > > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > > 
> > > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > > towards the bottom this page:
> > > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > > -- 
> > > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > > 
> > > "NCTech" wrote:
> > > 
> > > >   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I 
> > > > cannot run the create table wizard.
> > > > Here is what I have done so far:
> > > > 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> > > > 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been 
> > > > set to Access 2000.
> > > > 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> > > > 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table 
> > > > wizard.
> > > > 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I 
> > > > receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the 
> > > > PC.
> > > > 
> > > >   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Utf
1/5/2008 2:18:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

The messaging has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Ou
I have Outlook 2003 /Windows XP.The message in the subject field is the message I receive when I attempt to send a mail, record a new contact. I am blocked to send/recieve Email. Restarting Outlook does not help. Removing and re installing Office 2003 does not help. Any clue.... Create a new mail profile and see if that helps. If it doesn remove the old mail profile. To create a new profile (do not copy it); Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles To access your current pst-file in the new profile; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... To set it as the default delivery l...

unknown error 0x80040155
I get the following error everytime my Outlook XP (2002) tries to send and receive messages. I am able to send messages but not receive them form my yahoo account. I've checked the settings a few times with no luck. I've placed the error message inthe subject heading. Thanks C. Pate <c_k_patel@yahoo.com> wrote: > I get the following error everytime my Outlook XP (2002) > tries to send and receive messages. I am able to send > messages but not receive them form my yahoo account. I've > checked the settings a few times with no luck. I've > plac...

UnKnown Error #2
I am getting a "Unknown Error" randomly come up on my Point of Sale machines when I finish a transaction and the receipt\cash drawer are suppose to be triggered. When this error comes up the cash drawer and receipt printer will not work until COM1 is uninstalled and the machine is rebooted. After the reboot they start working but then randomly the "Unknown Error" comes back up and we have to go through the same process. Below is a list of what i have tried: - Upped Virtual Memory to maximum - Shut off Services that were not needed to free up memory - Replaced printe...

Unknown Messages being Sent
OS: Windows 2000 Product: Outlook 2002 Connection: Comcast Cable Mail: Comcast POP3 mail server (mail.comcast.net) Question(s): Every so often (4th or 5th time) when I perform a Send/Receive, Outlook will send out a message that I had in no way composed myself. A few seconds later Norton Antivirus 2002 confirms this with a "Sending Message" window. And the "Sent Messages" folder does not reflect a message being sent. Just what is it that outlook is sending? I'm very sure it isn't spamware or spyware, since one time this happened after a fresh install of my ...

Outlook sends unknown messages
Hi, I just merged from OE to Outlook. Everything went well, all messages, message rules and folders were imported and I am able to receive messages. But... when I start Outlook, it tries to send 137 messages (I have no clue what messages), even though my Outbox is empty. It appears to be stuck, since it is still showing "sending message 1 of 137". What is Outlook sending and how can I cancel this permanently? When I cancel, it will start doing it the next time I start Outlook. Any suggestions? Thank you, AJS Possibly undeliverable read receipts, see if these help: http://...

Unknown error in Outlook 2000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C37723.02FAD6E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable messaging interface has returned an unknown=20 When trying to delete messages out of my inbox I get the following = error: "messaging interface has returned an unknown error, restart = Outlook". This error has just started. Tried to use the repair, but = still cannot delete messages. Have Windows XP operating system and = using Outlook 2000 ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C37723.02FAD6E0 Cont...

e2k3 sp2: Unknown user name or bad password error
We have an exchange cluster with two nodes that runs exchange 2003 SP2 on windows 2003 Sp1 ent. For security reasons recently I had to change the password for the account under which I installed exchange - the account is exchservice. Since then I get few of the following messages in the security log on the server - any idea how can I stop this? Event Type: Failure Audit Event Source: Security Event Category: Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529 Date: 09/10/2006 Time: 10:30:00 User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: EMILYA Description: Logon Failure: Reason: Unknown user name or bad password Us...

messaging interface has returned an unknown error
I just installed the free trial of Office 2003. Outlook starts up fine, but when i go to create a new message or reply/forward, i get the error message of "the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please re-start outlook i have restarted outlook as well as my PC and nothing seems to be helping. I also repaired my installation but the error remains. I would appreciate any feedback. ...

unknown attachment image001.png under Outlook 2003
User received an email from external party and found that the email has a attchment named image001.png. The image file actually is a screen capture picture came from her computer. That means the email from external party with a attachment which from her computer. Anybody has the same issues before and any solution? And the problem is...? Did the external party knowingly include the screenshot? Is the external party using a mac? if so see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=951679 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common...

unknown error 12029
Hi NG, I want to secure access to OWA as much as possible and implemented SSL encryption on another port as 443. This works fine, Url can be accessed with https://servername/port/website/account BUT If i try to access on the folder list, i get the question: "This site will use information from other data. This could be a security problem. Do you want to continue? I say yes and get the error 12029. Now i accept the error with OK and get immediately after this access to my folders. What can I do against this error? Thanks in advance, Birte Birte, Make sure that you have set all the d...

How to use solver to solve for 2 unknown in a linear equation?
How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, x + Y = 1 3x + 4Y =7 Thanks Mike One way: A1: 1 B1: 1 C1: =A1 + B1 D1: =3*A1 + 4*B1 Set Target Cell = D1 Equal to Value of 7 By changing cells: A1:B1 Subject to the Constraints: $C$1 = 1 In article <84B8D8D5-95FE-41E1-B55C-B0850F5FB06B@microsoft.com>, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, > > x + Y = 1 > 3x + 4Y =7 > > Thanks > Mike Solver. Does it mean "Goal Seak" in Excel ...

the message interface has returned an unknown error
When trying to delete an email from the inbox I receive the following: the message interface has returned an unknown error Specs: Windows 2000 sp4 Outlook 2002 sp2 Ran inbox repair tool. (no errors) Installed all updates from OFFICE update site. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275186 -- ~jason k please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom "PC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:094a01c3cfb9$a098e560$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When trying to delete an email from the inbox I receive > the follo...

Unknown Recipient #3
Over the past few weeks I am receiving hundreds of messages sent to someone@ourcompanydomain.com. But it is not the correct recipient. Do I just assume that it is a virus trying to get our system? Or has something been configured incorrectly? This is the message: MSEXCH:IMS:Eye Care of San Diego:EYECARE:SBSERVER 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient Most likely just spammers. They get a domino name and try all sorts of iterations of possible mail addresses. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no...

Error Message: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error
Today my outlook 2000 started showing "Error Message: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error" when I try to delete an e-mail. I could not find this on Microsoft support. Does anyone know what causes this. Thanks John ...

Unknown error with HTTP Mail
I am trying to configure Outlook 2002 to connect to a University Web Mail account. Send seems to be ok but get Task 'Stirling University: Folder:Inbox Downloading all items.' reported error (0x80004005) : 'An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing work and restart the program.' error on trying to download items. Tried to use headers but get; Task 'Stirling University: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x80004005) : 'An unknown error has occurred. Please save any existing work and restart the program.' Would apprecia...

Can't open this item. Unknown error
I have been using an auto-forward rule for the past year and have just been experiencing problems with it. I run exchange 5.5 with outlook 2000 and automatically forward certain emails to my colleagues. When they try to open the item by double clicking it I get an error "Can't open this item. Unknown Error". If I move the email to an archive folder it opens fine. It can also be viewed by using the preview when the email is in the inbox, but I can't double click it to open. The auto-forward rule has been re-created but still no joy. Any suggestions would be appr...

Unknown method
I'm trying to use selectNodes from javascript and my Xpath expression is for some, to me unknow reason, failing... I'm usinh this: xml.selectNodes("//xml/rs:data/z:row[contains(@title, 'ehe')]") There are nodes that fulfill condition expressed in XPath - there are nodes with attribute title containing 'ehe. IE is reporting: ********************** "Unknow method" //xml/rs:data/z:row[-->contains(@<--naziv, 'ehe') ********************** Any ideas? Predrag Tomasevic wrote: > I'm trying to use selectNodes from javascript and my X...

Exchange 2003: How to deliver unknown recp. to one account?
Hi, How can we configure exchange 2003 to deliver unknown recipients to one account (postmaster)? Now we receive a message some e-mail was not delivered to the postmast account, but we cannot see the original message. Regards, Rene Hi Rene Here is a KB article that explains how you can do this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315631 Hope this helps -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Rene" <this@doesnot.exists> wrote in message news:eLcX63vSFHA.3464@tk2msftn...

destination email system unknown or invalid
I am trying to set up a forward for one of my employees. they have a static ip and their own domain. when I try to forward to them it comes back as destination email system is unknown or invalid help! its the boss's daughter Thanks Pam Test the boss's daughter domain : www.dnsreport.com On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:29:07 -0700, Pam <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to set up a forward for one of my employees. they have a static >ip and their own domain. when I try to forward to them it comes back as >destination email system is unknown or inval...

short cut way to go to specific but unknown cells
Is there a short cut way to go to the 1) first row first column 2) last row, last column 3) last row, first column 4) first row last column thanks jery ranch 1 - ctrl/home 2 - ctrl/end 3 - ctrl/end, then home (not ctrl/home) 4 - ctrl/end, then right arrow, ctrl/up arrow, left arrow "Jerome Ranch" <ranchjp@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:n2kgr0ld5b9bt6rguseeubt96ig8pdko3q@4ax.com... > Is there a short cut way to go to the > > 1) first row first column > 2) last row, last column > 3) last row, first column > 4) first row last column > > thanks > je...

Unknown Contacts?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C52FC0.59145C20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When promoting a known email to CRM Activity from Outlook, why is the = sender's name displayed as unknown when the person\email address exists = in the CRM database as a lead? Does the person need to be setup as a = contact for the CRM to recognize this person and make the association to = the lead? Thanks. Gary ------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C52FC0.59145C20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="i...

Unknown error code
Hi, I'm trying to set up email in outlook 2007. After I put in all the information and click on "test account settings", I'm getting an error message. I mean, in the task tab, the "log onto incoming mail server (POP3), the status is completed" but on "send test email message, the status is Failed. and the error message is giving is "an unknown error code: 0x80040607 Does anybody knows out to fix this? Have you been able to send mail out before using that account, possibly with another mail client? "DM" <DM@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Forecast with two unknown variables
I'm hoping this is an easy question but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've simplified my scenario down to two variables, order quantity and order frequency (represented by the number of days between orders). I want to predict a customer's next order date and quantity based on past order history. So I have two columns with historic information, one for the order quantity the other showing the number of days since their last order. If I try to use the forecast function I end up with a circular reference because I'm trying to predict both variab...

Unknown Error #3
If I maximize an email by dbl clicking, click the reply button and then go to close the window..either by using the drop down menu under file or clicking on the "x" I get an Unkown Error message and Outlook shuts down completely. I don't have this problem if I use the "reply" button on the tool bar!! I have used the Office 2000 disk to re-install/fix errors to no avail. I am running Win ME. HELP. ...

Outlook has caused an error in unknown
Outlook has caused an error in <unknown> Outlook will now close. This is error message I get when attempting to schedule a task, return an email, or closing a window in outlook. I have run the repair utility and even reinstalled outlook but still have the same problem. My PST file may be corrupt but I need the data on it. Any suggestions? "D Lindsay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<060d01c3a544$65224610$a001280a@phx.gbl>... > Outlook has caused an error in <unknown> Outlook will now > close. This is error m...