Receiving "Unknown" error opening DB tables (Office 2003 SP3)

  • Follow

  I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I
cannot run the create table wizard.
Here is what I have done so far:
1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been
set to Access 2000.
3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table
wizard.
5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I
receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the
PC.

  Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Reply Utf 1/3/2008 7:42:04 PM

Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on
one but not the other, it's probably the computer.

If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At
times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup
of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.

Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database
towards the bottom this page:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"NCTech" wrote:

>   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I
> cannot run the create table wizard.
> Here is what I have done so far:
> 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been
> set to Access 2000.
> 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table
> wizard.
> 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I
> receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the
> PC.
>
>   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Reply Utf 1/3/2008 8:17:00 PM

  I have tried this on several PCs and the database works fine.  I am able to
open tables and run the create table wizard from other PCs.  I have also
verified the Access configuration settings between the PCs and they are the
same.  Re-installing Office 2003 and running system restore have not resolved
the issue.  I have also run system file compare.  The OS is XP Pro SP2.

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on
> one but not the other, it's probably the computer.
>
> If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At
> times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup
> of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.
>
> Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
>
> Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
>
> I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database
> towards the bottom this page:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>
> "NCTech" wrote:
>
> >   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I
> > cannot run the create table wizard.
> > Here is what I have done so far:
> > 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> > 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been
> > set to Access 2000.
> > 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> > 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table
> > wizard.
> > 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I
> > receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the
> > PC.
> >
> >   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Reply Utf 1/3/2008 8:45:03 PM

Sometimes the uninstall doesn't get all the old Office program. I believe
that there is a tool at Microsoft to more completely uninstall Office.

Then there could be something wrong with the Windows install or some other
program installed on the computer that is messing with Access. I had one case
where we finally wiped the hard drive and used the restore disk to get the
computer back to the original configuration then reinstalled all needed
software.
--

"NCTech" wrote:

>   I have tried this on several PCs and the database works fine.  I am able to
> open tables and run the create table wizard from other PCs.  I have also
> verified the Access configuration settings between the PCs and they are the
> same.  Re-installing Office 2003 and running system restore have not resolved
> the issue.  I have also run system file compare.  The OS is XP Pro SP2.
>
> "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried running the database on more than one computer? If it runs on
> > one but not the other, it's probably the computer.
> >
> > If it doesn't work on other computers, it's probably a corrupt database. At
> > times like this, nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup
> > of your database now and put it away for safe keeping.
> >
> > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> >
> > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> >
> > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database
> > towards the bottom this page:
> > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > --
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> >
> > "NCTech" wrote:
> >
> > >   I am receiving an error opening tables that only says "Unknown" and I
> > > cannot run the create table wizard.
> > > Here is what I have done so far:
> > > 1.  I have reinstalled Office 2003, and upgraded to SP3.
> > > 2.  The DB is written in Access 2000 and the default file format has been
> > > set to Access 2000.
> > > 3.  Forms, Queries, and Reports all work well.
> > > 4.  I cannot open a table, run it in design view or run the create table
> > > wizard.
> > > 5.  I have not been able to install KB829558 for Microsoft Jet Pack 4.0.  I
> > > receive an  error saying this hotfix is older than the one installed on the
> > > PC.
> > >
> > >   Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?
0
Reply Utf 1/4/2008 1:02:02 AM

  Thank you for the help.  I tried the Microsoft tool for cleaning the Office
install but it didn't resolve the issue.  However, I was able to find an old
Microsoft article (#317708 rev. 4.0) which had the exact error.  I had to
re-register Msjtes40.dll from the run command.  (regsvr32.exe
C:\Windows\system32\msjtes40.dll)      Apparently, either one of the windows
updates wasn't compatible with the engineering software on this PC or Access
was left running when the updates installed overnight.

Reply Utf 1/5/2008 2:18:00 PM

(page loaded in 0.213 seconds)

Reply: