Patient database

  • Follow

I am using Access 2003 for the first time and learning how to develop a
patient database for a non-profit program.

I've created a table that contains the names and personal information of
each patient participating in our program.  My problem is this: I would like
to create a subform for each patient that lists their appointment history but
I don't know how to create a relationship between the patient and their
appointment history (which at the same time will allow me to enter more than
one entry).

Please help!
--
emarq
0

If "relational" and "normalization" are unfamiliar terms, plan to spend some
time coming up to speed on them before expecting to get good use from
Access.

It sounds like you are describing one entity ([Patient]) that can have
zero-to-many records of [Appointment].  In a relational database, you'd need
two tables, related one-to-many.  This would require that the Primary Key
from the [Patient] table row be included in the record/row in the related
[Appointment] table.

If that didn't make sense, go back to the first sentence and start your
studies!

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"emarq" <emarq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Access 2003 for the first time and learning how to develop a
> patient database for a non-profit program.
>
> I've created a table that contains the names and personal information of
> each patient participating in our program.  My problem is this: I would
> like
> to create a subform for each patient that lists their appointment history
> but
> I don't know how to create a relationship between the patient and their
> appointment history (which at the same time will allow me to enter more
> than
> one entry).
>
> Please help!
> --
> emarq

0
Reply Jeff 2/4/2010 11:47:37 PM

Well, this should be a 1 to Many relationship.

Your patient Table should be something similar to
Patient_Id
Patient_FirstName
Patient_LastName

So you would construct an appointment table similar to:
Appt_Id
Patient_Id
Appt_DateTime

Linking your relationship between the 2 Patient_Id fields.
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

"emarq" wrote:

> I am using Access 2003 for the first time and learning how to develop a
> patient database for a non-profit program.
>
> I've created a table that contains the names and personal information of
> each patient participating in our program.  My problem is this: I would like
> to create a subform for each patient that lists their appointment history but
> I don't know how to create a relationship between the patient and their
> appointment history (which at the same time will allow me to enter more than
> one entry).
>
> Please help!
> --
> emarq
0
Reply Utf 2/5/2010 12:23:01 AM

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:02:11 -0800, emarq <emarq@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am using Access 2003 for the first time and learning how to develop a
>patient database for a non-profit program.
>
>I've created a table that contains the names and personal information of
>each patient participating in our program.  My problem is this: I would like
>to create a subform for each patient that lists their appointment history but
>I don't know how to create a relationship between the patient and their
>appointment history (which at the same time will allow me to enter more than
>one entry).
>
>Please help!

Take a look at these resources, especially the tutorials:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

Do note, however, that any database containing patient medical data is covered
by the extremely stringent HIPAA laws. You may want to read up on these;
$50,000 fines are not fun to deal with! Some would argue that Access simply
doesn't have good enough data security for ANY patient information database.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

(page loaded in 1.432 seconds)