How do I combine "First Name", "Last Name" Fields into a "Name" Fi

  • Follow

I have two tables one has First Name and Last Name fields. The other has
first and last names combined in a "Name" Field. I would like to combine
tables via a query for sorting and mailing purposes. This problem sounds so
simple, but it is beyond me!!!!!

Please help!
0
Reply Utf 10/15/2007 6:42:05 PM

Create a new query.  In design view, add the table that has both, then in a
"field" on the grid, add something like:

    FullName: [FirstName] & " " [LastName]

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Climberjon" <Climberjon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two tables one has First Name and Last Name fields. The other has
> first and last names combined in a "Name" Field. I would like to combine
> tables via a query for sorting and mailing purposes. This problem sounds
> so
> simple, but it is beyond me!!!!!
>
> Please help!

0
Reply Jeff 10/15/2007 6:58:49 PM

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:25:01 -0700, Climberjon wrote:

> Jeff You have me on the right track. AHow do I get a space between the
> FirstName and the LastName. I see the " " you have added, but Access tells me
> that it is a syntax error. Is there a value I should put in the quotes?
>
> Thank You for your reply.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Create a new query.  In design view, add the table that has both, then in a
>> "field" on the grid, add something like:
>>
>>     FullName: [FirstName] & " " [LastName]
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "Climberjon" <Climberjon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two tables one has First Name and Last Name fields. The other has
>>> first and last names combined in a "Name" Field. I would like to combine
>>> tables via a query for sorting and mailing purposes. This problem sounds
>>> so
>>> simple, but it is beyond me!!!!!
>>>
>>> Please help!

Jeff inadvertently left off an Ampersand.

FullName: [FirstName] & " " & [LastName]
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

Thnaks, Fred.

As you mgiht notiec, my fat fngiers don't alwyas wrk <g>

Jeff

"fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:25:01 -0700, Climberjon wrote:
>
>> Jeff You have me on the right track. AHow do I get a space between the
>> FirstName and the LastName. I see the " " you have added, but Access
>> tells me
>> that it is a syntax error. Is there a value I should put in the quotes?
>>
>> Thank You for your reply.
>>
>> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>>
>>> Create a new query.  In design view, add the table that has both, then
>>> in a
>>> "field" on the grid, add something like:
>>>
>>>     FullName: [FirstName] & " " [LastName]
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Jeff Boyce
>>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>>
>>> "Climberjon" <Climberjon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Jeff inadvertently left off an Ampersand.
>
> FullName: [FirstName] & " " & [LastName]
> --
> Fred
> Please respond only to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal e-mail