Formatting fields with decimal places

Follow
Email
I have a table that has field name of Total_Tax with a data type of currency.
 The data in the field can range from being blank to 999999999.99. Maximum is
9 numbers before the decimal place and 2 afterward.

My problem is that the data was imported from a text file into access as
400.  However that should be formatted to 4.00  or 1234 should be 12.34.
Also a number that is 123456789 should be 1234567.89.

I further want to format it to currency for easier reading and manipulation.
 So I would like to insert $ signs and delimit them with a comma.  So I need
to go from 12345678 to $123,456.78, as 1234 should be $12.34

I was thinking maybe this: Format([TextField], "0.00"), or something like it
but not sure if it will work.

Any suggestions on how I can do this?  I greatly appreciate it.
0
Reply Utf 1/31/2008 2:31:00 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:31:00 -0800, wvrider
<wvrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

First off, you can write an update statement to divide the exising
values by 100.

Formatting is NOT to be in the tables, but in the forms or reports
this data is displayed in. For example you can set the Format property
of a Textbox.

-Tom.

>I have a table that has field name of Total_Tax with a data type of currency.
> The data in the field can range from being blank to 999999999.99. Maximum is
>9 numbers before the decimal place and 2 afterward.
>
>My problem is that the data was imported from a text file into access as
>400.  However that should be formatted to 4.00  or 1234 should be 12.34.
>Also a number that is 123456789 should be 1234567.89.
>
>I further want to format it to currency for easier reading and manipulation.
> So I would like to insert $ signs and delimit them with a comma.  So I need
>to go from 12345678 to $123,456.78, as 1234 should be $12.34
>
>I was thinking maybe this: Format([TextField], "0.00"), or something like it
>but not sure if it will work.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can do this?  I greatly appreciate it.
0
Reply Tom 1/31/2008 3:28:01 AM
You wouldn't usually store the Total tax in a table, it would normally be
calculated when you need to use it.
There are some exceptions to this rule, this may be one of them.
Add a new field to your table, make it currency format.
Create a query with the Primary Key and the Total_tax field, add a
calculated field such as you suggested: Format([TextField], "0.00")
Switch your query to datasheet view and check that the numbers now have the
last 2 digits on the right appearing after the decimal point.
If all appears correct, turn your query into an append query and append the
values for the calculated field into that new field of currency type you
created.
You could make a copy of the table with the original Total tax field to keep
for reference, and delete that Total tax field from your new table.

Jeanette Cunningham

"wvrider" <wvrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table that has field name of Total_Tax with a data type of
>currency.
> The data in the field can range from being blank to 999999999.99. Maximum
> is
> 9 numbers before the decimal place and 2 afterward.
>
> My problem is that the data was imported from a text file into access as
> 400.  However that should be formatted to 4.00  or 1234 should be 12.34.
> Also a number that is 123456789 should be 1234567.89.
>
> I further want to format it to currency for easier reading and
> manipulation.
> So I would like to insert $ signs and delimit them with a comma.  So I
> need
> to go from 12345678 to $123,456.78, as 1234 should be $12.34
>
> I was thinking maybe this: Format([TextField], "0.00"), or something like
> it
> but not sure if it will work.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can do this?  I greatly appreciate it.

0
Reply Jeanette 1/31/2008 3:35:01 AM
Thank you all.  I have been caught up at work this week and have not had the
chance to try anything.  However I think it will work.

Jeanette,  my database just had a field that was the total tax paid by
someone.  It has their car and the total tax paid on it, that is why it was
stored instead of calculated.  I do understand the reason that it should not
be stored.

I appreciate the help.

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> You wouldn't usually store the Total tax in a table, it would normally be
> calculated when you need to use it.
> There are some exceptions to this rule, this may be one of them.
> Add a new field to your table, make it currency format.
> Create a query with the Primary Key and the Total_tax field, add a
> calculated field such as you suggested: Format([TextField], "0.00")
> Switch your query to datasheet view and check that the numbers now have the
> last 2 digits on the right appearing after the decimal point.
> If all appears correct, turn your query into an append query and append the
> values for the calculated field into that new field of currency type you
> created.
> You could make a copy of the table with the original Total tax field to keep
> for reference, and delete that Total tax field from your new table.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>
> "wvrider" <wvrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a table that has field name of Total_Tax with a data type of
> >currency.
> > The data in the field can range from being blank to 999999999.99. Maximum
> > is
> > 9 numbers before the decimal place and 2 afterward.
> >
> > My problem is that the data was imported from a text file into access as
> > 400.  However that should be formatted to 4.00  or 1234 should be 12.34.
> > Also a number that is 123456789 should be 1234567.89.
> >
> > I further want to format it to currency for easier reading and
> > manipulation.
> > So I would like to insert $ signs and delimit them with a comma.  So I
> > need
> > to go from 12345678 to $123,456.78, as 1234 should be $12.34
> >
> > I was thinking maybe this: Format([TextField], "0.00"), or something like
> > it
> > but not sure if it will work.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I can do this?  I greatly appreciate it.

0
Reply Utf 2/2/2008 4:17:01 AM
Follow
Email

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Required field added to existing records
Hello, I have a existing table with data already created. I need to add a field to this table that is going to be required from now on. When I open the form to update the record it allows me to add the information to the required field. But when I tested the record to see if it would flag me on the required field by closing it, it closes without flaging me to enter the information in the required field. Can I update existing records on a form for a newly added required field and have it flag me if the data is not enter on a form. Thanks, Robin You need to add the field to the table...

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

How do I do a global field search?
I have WinXP and Access2003. I have just finished changing over a text primary key "ProductID" to a autonumber "ProdID". This was successful, and all the database (including the Combos and the xtab queries) work OK. But now I want to get rid of all the old Text "ProductID" values and fields. I have done this manually as far as possible, but is there a "Find" function to locate all the redundant "ProductID" all through the database? Please help Frank No there is such thing built in. You will have to do manual searches through al...

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

JavaScript Error adding custom field
Hello, When I try to add a cusom field to the Accounts form I get several JavaScript errors on http:/crm/Tools/FormEditor/Dialogs/addfields.aspx (line 144 : Parameter incorrect) when opening the Web Page Dialog (Field list). When trying to add a field, I get an error 'crmDialog.TabName.returnValue' is null or not an object (line 94 in same aspx) If I continue, I get error 'Object doesn't support this property or method' at line 297. I noticed that this behaviour is only when I contact CRM from one PC. Is there any known compatibility issue as far as the Java VM is concern...

Inbox Field Set-up
I have a corporate/exchange account and two internet accounts. Is there a way to distinguish what mail comes from where? I tried adding the field Internet account but it comes up blank Tim TimH <hillhouse_tim@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a corporate/exchange account and two internet accounts. Is > there a way to distinguish what mail comes from where? > > I tried adding the field Internet account but it comes up blank I don't see where you mention your version of Outlook. -- Brian Tillman Outlook 200 sp-3 "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com&g...

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Excluding Alpha character in text field by filtering.
I have a query based on a table./ I have one numeric field that has alphanumber entries: A2000-000; 101010010,A2004, etc.. I what the filter to exclude all records that have an apph beginning - ie. in eg. above exclude: A2000-000,A2004. How do I do this? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. You could use WHERE Left$(AlphanumericField, 1) NOT BETWEEN "A" AND "Z" or WHERE Val(AlphanumeriField) <> 0 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Grace" <fhsmith7@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news...

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Jscript to hide unpopulated fields
Hi We have created two custom entities named suppliers and business partners. We would prefer not to create account records and use the relationship type field so we created these custom entities. We now have on the Contact form three seperate fields that a contact could be related to. These fields are parent customer, parent supplier and parent business partner. A Contact should only be associated with one parent record. We would like to write Jscript which hides the remaining fields if one of the fields is populated. If a user associates a Contact with a parent customer then the ...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Field Length Issue
I'll try to make the long story short. I'm importing a fixed width file into a table, doing some stuff, and exporting it again. My problem is that if I import field AcctNum in as a 18 character field, but it only has 10 characters I'm loosing the 8 spaces. Is there a way when I'm exporting the data to say pad the field? I'm exporting it through VBA to a file. Maybe format(rs.fields("AcctNo"), "000000000000000000") ??? Will that work if AcctNo is a text fields? Guess I was also looking for something a bit less time consuming becau...