Design View Disabled? Please Help!!

  • Follow

Several years ago (2000), I built a database in Access for tracking
construction management information using a series of forms and
menus.  Recently, we decided to resurrect and update this database for
use by my new company (using Access 2003).  When we opened it and went
to change the reports to match the new company graphic standards, we
noticed that many of the standard menu items (including design view)
disappeared!  Why is this happening, and how do I get them back?

0
Reply gwharton 6/18/2007 4:08:36 PM

In news:1182182916.071514.235550@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com,
gwharton@gmail.com <gwharton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Several years ago (2000), I built a database in Access for tracking
> construction management information using a series of forms and
> menus.  Recently, we decided to resurrect and update this database for
> use by my new company (using Access 2003).  When we opened it and went
> to change the reports to match the new company graphic standards, we
> noticed that many of the standard menu items (including design view)
> disappeared!  Why is this happening, and how do I get them back?

Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Reply Dirk 6/18/2007 4:13:27 PM

On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "Dirk Goldgar" <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com>
wrote:

> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?

I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
kept messing up the database accidentally).  The solution for my
problem was simply to hold down the SHIFT key on opening the file in
order to bypass the AutoExec on open.  This allows all the normal
functionality to be operable.

~g

0
Reply gwharton 6/18/2007 4:25:42 PM

In news:1182183942.479227.153660@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
gwharton@gmail.com <gwharton@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?
>
> I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
> this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
> turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
> set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
> almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
> now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
> kept messing up the database accidentally).

LOL
I've had to deal with users like that.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Reply Dirk 6/18/2007 4:30:47 PM

On Jun 18, 11:30 am, "Dirk Goldgar" <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com>
wrote:
> Innews:1182183942.479227.153660@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
>
> gwhar...@gmail.com <gwhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?
>
> > I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
> > this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
> > turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
> > set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
> > almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
> > now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
> > kept messing up the database accidentally).
>
> LOL
> I've had to deal with users like that.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

Users like that are in "one of a kind"! :>)

Mr B

0
Reply Mr 6/18/2007 4:54:24 PM

(page loaded in 0.052 seconds)