Design View Disabled? Please Help!!

Several years ago (2000), I built a database in Access for tracking
construction management information using a series of forms and
menus.  Recently, we decided to resurrect and update this database for
use by my new company (using Access 2003).  When we opened it and went
to change the reports to match the new company graphic standards, we
noticed that many of the standard menu items (including design view)
disappeared!  Why is this happening, and how do I get them back?

0
gwharton
6/18/2007 4:08:36 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In news:1182182916.071514.235550@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com,
gwharton@gmail.com <gwharton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Several years ago (2000), I built a database in Access for tracking
> construction management information using a series of forms and
> menus.  Recently, we decided to resurrect and update this database for
> use by my new company (using Access 2003).  When we opened it and went
> to change the reports to match the new company graphic standards, we
> noticed that many of the standard menu items (including design view)
> disappeared!  Why is this happening, and how do I get them back?

Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
6/18/2007 4:13:27 PM
On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "Dirk Goldgar" <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com>
wrote:

> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?

I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
kept messing up the database accidentally).  The solution for my
problem was simply to hold down the SHIFT key on opening the file in
order to bypass the AutoExec on open.  This allows all the normal
functionality to be operable.

~g

0
gwharton
6/18/2007 4:25:42 PM
In news:1182183942.479227.153660@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
gwharton@gmail.com <gwharton@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?
>
> I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
> this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
> turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
> set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
> almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
> now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
> kept messing up the database accidentally).

LOL
I've had to deal with users like that.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
6/18/2007 4:30:47 PM
On Jun 18, 11:30 am, "Dirk Goldgar" <d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com>
wrote:
> Innews:1182183942.479227.153660@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
>
> gwhar...@gmail.com <gwhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Are you sure you aren't looking at an MDE file, instead of an MDB?
>
> > I'm sure.  In the meantime, a friend of mine over at Microsoft figured
> > this out for me and I'm embarrassed that it was so easy to fix.  It
> > turns out that the security settings for this database were originally
> > set (by me, of course) so that the AutoExec for the file disabled
> > almost every menu option except printing and data entry (I remember
> > now that I did this because we had an individual in the office who
> > kept messing up the database accidentally).
>
> LOL
> I've had to deal with users like that.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVPwww.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

Users like that are in "one of a kind"! :>)

Mr B

0
Mr

i need help with conditional formating with dates
I'm trying to link daily schedules to fill in automatically from information entered into a weekly schedule. I have two conditional formatting questions> 1.if a time is left blank on the weekly schedule and I need it to remain blank on the daily I need to ... right now it automatically puts in 12:00 AM on the daily if the weekly is left blank. 2.I want to place the letters RO or VAC in some time spaces on the weekly and have the daily repeat that with a color or pattern fill, how do I do this? Thanks so much for your help! Some thoughts .. Assume source data is in sheet: Weekly w...

Freeware to reset windows folder views from view->icons to view->details
About once a day I have to reset my Windows XP SP3 explorer view from "View -> Icons" bacl to "View -> Details" where I just wish it would stay put. To make all folders open up similarly, almost daily I then have to hit: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Apply to All Folders -> Yes -> OK I have no idea WHAT is changing my folders from view->details to view->icons (I'm the only user of the computer) but I wonder if there is freeware that will automatically reset the Windows Explorer Folder View options more quickly? Do you know o...

how do i change to the new design in outlook 2007
Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the program the old design is what I see. > Outlook 2007 is installed on my computer but everytime I open the > program the old design is what I see. The Ribbon is only available in new message/appointment/task windows, not to the main Outlook window. -- f.h. Microsoft Outlook MVP ...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators. #4

File cannot be accessed..... help please!!!
I'll be brief... Trouble opening an xls file, error states "blah.xls cannot be accessed.File may be read only........etc" Have opened it OK with MS Works Spreadsheet and thought I'd cracked it...however... although I can open 4 out of the 5 sheets contained within the file, the 5th sheet will not open. The "a" drive is not able to read it at all. The disk was earlier in the "a" drive when the computer was re-booted.Could this cause a problem? (please say no!) Thanks Steve Stephen From what you say I get the idea that the file is on a disk i...

design templates
Once I download a new design template (Letterhead), how do I make it available to all new documents. Currently, I can use the new template for one document. However, when I import any data, it disappears. Then, when I go to choose a publication design, the template is not available. How can I make new/downloaded design templates available from the publication designs window? Are you asking about those from the Office web site? Once the download is complete, save as... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Char...

help need DEE
Hi I would like to write DDE Client for Linux platform. Which uses server running on windows? Can anyone suggest me how to approach the requirement. Thanks Shanker Bejjanki ...

update query help 08-26-10
ear All i have following DDL and sample data [sql 2000] create table main_tab (t_id varchar(10),fname varchar(30), lname varchar(30), gender char(1),status smallint) create table im_tab (t_id varchar(10),flag char(1)) insert into main_tab values('a0101','Ali','Hussain','M',null) insert into main_tab values('a0102','Noor','Inam',null) insert into main_tab values('a0103','Siddique','Hussain','M',null) insert into main_tab values('a0104','Farooq','Ali','M'...

Permission Option Disabled
I have windows 2003 and office 2003. If I click "permission" there is no option to change whether recipient can read, forward, print, or copy. the default is "recipients can read this message, but cannot forward, print or copy content" (1) Can I change this option ? Where and how do I change this ? (2) Can I remove the the tag "do not forward. recipients can read this message, ..." ? so that receipient cannot see this tag ? thanks. (20 1) No. In Outlook 2003 email messages, the only Windows Rights Management permission options built are the one...

Please help with button macro
I have this code in a button in excel: Sub open_fp_wrkbk() ' ' open_fp_wrkbk Macro ' Macro recorded 10/30/2008 by hp90673 ChDir "K:\Readiness and Customer Ops" Workbooks.Open Filename:="K:\Readiness and Customer Ops\FP_dash.xls" ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 7").Activate End Sub It is a table of contents button and it opens a file. It also keeps the file active in case the user clicks the same toc item again, so that they don't get the 'this file is already open' or an error. I want to apply this to other buttons but I kno...

Switching to design mode causes VS 2008 to freeze.
When I'm working on a web project and switch a page from source to design mode, VS hangs. Anybody have any thoughts? This doesn't appear to project specific - just that's it's a web page (.aspx) when it happens. TIA - Jeff. ...

Can I save a view setting?
Hi, I posted this question in another group but didn't receive any answers and just wanted to check here to see if anyone knew. I'm using Outlook 2003 and am having trouble trying to set the views of the folders globally. Is there a way to save a view that I like, for example in my In Box, and then create that same view for all the folders or does this have to be done individually? Thanks Mike I dont think it is possible to acheive what you are trying to do. -- Hope this helps!!! Best Regards Sudharson AN "Mike G." <wet@dog.com> wrote in message news...

Please Help (Urgent)
I'm using windows XP with Microsoft Excel 97. The problem happened when i lo gin as a guest account. When i add new buttons in the toolbar in excel, it w ill dissappeared after i reboot my pc or close the Excel. But everything is fine when i login as an administrator. What changes i should make to overcom e this problem in the guest accout?Thank you. -- jyang ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jyang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26017 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadi...

Pleases help
I've tried to install these updates numerous times? Is anyone from microsoft there? I've never got a response from these. 9 results for "WindowsUpdate_00000646" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" 1. 1 Windows Update error 80072efd 2. 2 Troubleshoot problems with installing updates 3. 3 Windows Update error 80070422, 80244019, or 8DDD0018 4. 4 Windows Update error 8024402C 5. 5 Windows Update error 80070003 6. 6 Windows Update error 80070643 7. 7 Windows Update error 8024001b 8. 8 Windows Update error 800f020b 9. 9 Windows Update error 800f0828 ...

CRM Web client fails on Lead: Forms and Views
I have installed Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a windows 2k3 with the latest service packs and updates, SQL is 2005 and it is also up to date. The system has Sharepoint working fine on SSL, I had a couple of problems during installation so I had to reinstall the CRM a couple of times for it to be installed and working properly, but it now seems ok, users can connect to the server with outlook and with the web browser, but, there is an error while using the web browser: Everytime I go to Settings, Customization, lead, I can add some attributes and it seems to be ok, until I click the Forms and V...

Design specifications and guidelines
A small question. Where can i find the Design Specifications and Guidelines - Visual Design. Spacing: How many DLUs should there between 2 group boxes (vertically arranged) in a Dialog box? best regards bav In theory, as many as you want, but in practice, only as many as you use. Since Microsoft has abandoned any attempt to maintan GUI guidelines within their own products, there is very little reason to be too wound up about this kind of trivia (I have largely ignored most of it. Build a dialog box that looks good, and nobody is going to be counting pixels). For group boxes, you can...

Cascade current view to sub-folders
Hi, Is there any way I can set a custom View setting to a set of folders (e.g. set a view setting for a high-level folder and then have it cascade to all sub-folders)? By a custom View I mean the way that items in a folder shoud look - i.e. font settings and the like. Cheers, Stu ...

CTestDoc* GetDocument() errors in view class
I am getting these errors in my view header: error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*' error C2501: CTestDoc: missing storage-class or type specifiers error C2501: 'GetDocument' : missing storage-class or type specifiers for this statement: CTestDoc* GetDocument(); Currently, I am using class CTestDoc; earlier in the file to satisfy the need. Can I get some help on this? Much appreciated! At the top of your .cpp file put: #include "TestDoc.h" Or whatever the name of your file is. KS "Steve Russell" <srussell@innernet.net&g...

help with Applying nested Loops
i have small query with the looping thing . i have data something like this . i need to write a nested loops to apply Formula and autofil methods in these specific cells . can you please help me out in writing the code . I have Products and Year in two different rng variable (RngProducts,RngYear). need vba code lo loop thru the cells and apply formula . if i apply the formula then in the next column i need to autofill method A B C D E F G Products Year1 Year2 Year3 Year4 Year5 Year6 1 frmla autofilll---...

Formula View
When in the Formula View ( by clicking Ctrl `), how can I format the cells to wrap text so I can see and print all formulae in my spreadsheet. Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tkanasoot@yahoo.com wrote: > When in the Formula View ( by clicking Ctrl `), how can I format the > cells to wrap text so I can see and print all formulae in my > spreadsheet. Maybe you can use a helper worksheet and a UserDefinedFunction: Option Explicit Function getFormula(rng As Range) With rng(1) If .HasFormula Then getFormula = .Formu...

Can't break out of code help!
Somehow one of my VBAs got called and I can't get out if it. Esc only calls up the Dialog box that allows me to End/Continue/Debug, End does nothing, Debug stops but I still can't CANCEL it. Any suggestions? I am stuck otherwise and will lose a lot of work... If you are in debug with the highlight showing, click the Design Mode icon, if the debug highlight goes out, you are out of the macro. I am betting that you are using an event code for a sheet_change. If so, before clicking the icon, put a comment (apostorphe) in front of your macro title. That will prevent it f...

Using decisions in Access design
Hi all, I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that need to keep them in the same database. Example: I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages. Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same fiel...

Viewing Macro..
Is there a way to view a VBS macro without running it? Someone sent me a macro, but I don't know that it can be trusted. I do want to run it, I did scan it with Norton and it found nothing, but Excel warns me against opening it. Hi, Unless its protected, you can press Alt+F8, select it from the list and click Edit. Of course if you don't know VBA, you probably won't know if its safe or not. Of course you could post the code to the newgroup. You first line of defense is to consider the source, do you trust the person who sent you the file? -- If this helps, please c...

need help with Advanced filter.
I am trying to filter out a unique set of records in a Excel worksheet. I think Advanced Filter is what I need to use but I can't figure it out. Please help. Select the range Menu Data>Filter?Advanced Filter... Tick the 'Unique records only' box Define the criteria Click the 'Filter in place' or 'Copy to another location' button OK -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75B47E4A-1954-4079-95FC-13E2339178D3@microsoft.com... > I am tryi...

Hide Weekend in Month View
I only want to see M-F on the month view of my calendar. Can this be done? ...