Change autonumber field to number field

  • Follow

Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:

"You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data type
of this field, first delete its relationships in the Relationships
window."

If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
when the relationships are remade?

Many thanks,

Paul

0
Reply paulkaye 9/4/2007 12:22:09 PM

Hello Paul.

"paulkaye" wrote:
> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>
> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
> Relationships window."
>
> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
> when the relationships are remade?

As long as you are the only one using that database during your
change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
automatically assigned.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

0
Reply Wolfgang 9/4/2007 1:05:28 PM

Also you can't change the field direct
Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
Add "AutoField" as Long
Append All records

HTH

Pieter

"Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
> Hello Paul.
>
> "paulkaye" wrote:
>> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
>> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>>
>> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
>> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
>> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
>> Relationships window."
>>
>> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
>> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
>> when the relationships are remade?
>
> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
> automatically assigned.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

0
Reply Pieter 9/4/2007 3:47:44 PM

Not implicitly but no one here knows the dependencies you may have
built into your application.  The quickest test would be to make a
copy of your application, make the changes in that copy and
exhaustively test.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>
> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
type
> of this field, first delete its relationships in the Relationships
> window."
>
> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
> when the relationships are remade?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul

0
Reply Larry 9/4/2007 8:35:38 PM

Hello Pieter.

Paul asked for the opposite direction.
HTH.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

"Pieter Wijnen"
<it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Also you can't change the field direct
> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
> Add "AutoField" as Long
> Append All records
>
> HTH
>
> Pieter
>
> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
>> Hello Paul.
>>
>> "paulkaye" wrote:
>>> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
>>> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>>>
>>> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
>>> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
>>> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
>>> Relationships window."
>>>
>>> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
>>> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
>>> when the relationships are remade?
>>
>> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
>> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
>> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
>> automatically assigned.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang

0
Reply Wolfgang 9/5/2007 1:27:39 PM

He did?
I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
AutoNumber.
The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the table
(empty),
Alter the Field.
Append all Records to the New Table
Drop the old Table
Rename the new Table
Additionally recreate any Relationships

> Hello Pieter.
>
> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
> HTH.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>

> "Pieter Wijnen"
> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Also you can't change the field direct
>> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
>> Add "AutoField" as Long
>> Append All records
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Pieter
>>
>> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message

>>> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
>>> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
>>> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
>>> automatically assigned.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Wolfgang

0
Reply Pieter 9/5/2007 7:26:07 PM

Hello Pieter.

Pieter Wijnen wrote:
> He did?
> I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
> AutoNumber.

Sorry. You are right.

> The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the
> table (empty),
> Alter the Field.
> Append all Records to the New Table
> Drop the old Table
> Rename the new Table
> Additionally recreate any Relationships

Excuse me, you are wrong. Simply change the fieldtype to Number (Long).
When changing long to autonumber, you have to create a new table.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
>> Hello Pieter.
>>
>> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
>> HTH.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang
>>

>> "Pieter Wijnen"
>> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
>> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Also you can't change the field direct
>>> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
>>> Add "AutoField" as Long
>>> Append All records
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Pieter
>>>
>>> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message

0
Reply Wolfgang 9/5/2007 9:44:55 PM

On Sep 5, 11:44 pm, "Wolfgang Kais" <s...@me.nomore> wrote:
> Hello Pieter.
>
> Pieter Wijnen wrote:
> > He did?
> > I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
> > AutoNumber.
>
> Sorry. You are right.
>
> > The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the
> > table (empty),
> > Alter the Field.
> > Append all Records to the New Table
> > Drop the old Table
> > Rename the new Table
> > Additionally recreate any Relationships
>
> Excuse me, you are wrong. Simply change the fieldtype to Number (Long).
> When changing long to autonumber, you have to create a new table.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>
> > "Wolfgang Kais" <s...@me.nomore> wrote in message
> >> Hello Pieter.
>
> >> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
> >> HTH.
>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Wolfgang
>
> >> "Pieter Wijnen"
> >> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.ple...@online.replace.with.norway>

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. I did just remove the dependencies, change the
field type, and then replace the dependencies. So far, everything
looks fine (ish, see my next post!).

Paul

0
Reply paulkaye 9/19/2007 9:33:17 AM