Change autonumber field to number field

Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:

"You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data type
of this field, first delete its relationships in the Relationships
window."

If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
when the relationships are remade?

Many thanks,

Paul

0
paulkaye
9/4/2007 12:22:09 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hello Paul.

"paulkaye" wrote:
> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>
> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
> Relationships window."
>
> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
> when the relationships are remade?

As long as you are the only one using that database during your
change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
automatically assigned.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
9/4/2007 1:05:28 PM
Also you can't change the field direct
Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
Add "AutoField" as Long
Append All records

HTH

Pieter

"Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
> Hello Paul.
>
> "paulkaye" wrote:
>> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
>> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>>
>> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
>> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
>> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
>> Relationships window."
>>
>> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
>> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
>> when the relationships are remade?
>
> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
> automatically assigned.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

0
Pieter
9/4/2007 3:47:44 PM
Not implicitly but no one here knows the dependencies you may have
built into your application.  The quickest test would be to make a
copy of your application, make the changes in that copy and
exhaustively test.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>
> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
type
> of this field, first delete its relationships in the Relationships
> window."
>
> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
> when the relationships are remade?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul

0
Larry
9/4/2007 8:35:38 PM
Hello Pieter.

Paul asked for the opposite direction.
HTH.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

"Pieter Wijnen"
<it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Also you can't change the field direct
> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
> Add "AutoField" as Long
> Append All records
>
> HTH
>
> Pieter
>
> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
>> Hello Paul.
>>
>> "paulkaye" wrote:
>>> Is there a convenient way to change an autonumber field to a number
>>> field? I tried using the table design view but received the error:
>>>
>>> "You can't change the data type or field size of this field; it is
>>> part of one or more relationships. If you want to change the data
>>> type of this field, first delete its relationships in the
>>> Relationships window."
>>>
>>> If I were to break and remake the relevant relationships, would that
>>> suffice or might there be downstream effects which are not rectified
>>> when the relationships are remade?
>>
>> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
>> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
>> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
>> automatically assigned.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang

0
Wolfgang
9/5/2007 1:27:39 PM
He did?
I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
AutoNumber.
The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the table
(empty),
Alter the Field.
Append all Records to the New Table
Drop the old Table
Rename the new Table
Additionally recreate any Relationships

> Hello Pieter.
>
> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
> HTH.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>

> "Pieter Wijnen"
> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Also you can't change the field direct
>> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
>> Add "AutoField" as Long
>> Append All records
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Pieter
>>
>> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message

>>> As long as you are the only one using that database during your
>>> change, there should be no problem changing the data type to number.
>>> The effect if that will be that the numbers are no longer
>>> automatically assigned.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Wolfgang

0
Pieter
9/5/2007 7:26:07 PM
Hello Pieter.

Pieter Wijnen wrote:
> He did?
> I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
> AutoNumber.

Sorry. You are right.

> The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the
> table (empty),
> Alter the Field.
> Append all Records to the New Table
> Drop the old Table
> Rename the new Table
> Additionally recreate any Relationships

Excuse me, you are wrong. Simply change the fieldtype to Number (Long).
When changing long to autonumber, you have to create a new table.

--
Regards,
Wolfgang

> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message
>> Hello Pieter.
>>
>> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
>> HTH.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang
>>

>> "Pieter Wijnen"
>> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.please@online.replace.with.norway>
>> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ehTItrw7HHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Also you can't change the field direct
>>> Create a new Table (same struct w/o autofield)
>>> Add "AutoField" as Long
>>> Append All records
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Pieter
>>>
>>> "Wolfgang Kais" <spam@me.nomore> wrote in message

0
Wolfgang
9/5/2007 9:44:55 PM
On Sep 5, 11:44 pm, "Wolfgang Kais" <s...@me.nomore> wrote:
> Hello Pieter.
>
> Pieter Wijnen wrote:
> > He did?
> > I Read it as I have a AutoNumber Field that I no longer want to be an
> > AutoNumber.
>
> Sorry. You are right.
>
> > The Simplest way to achieve the goal (either way) is to duplicate the
> > table (empty),
> > Alter the Field.
> > Append all Records to the New Table
> > Drop the old Table
> > Rename the new Table
> > Additionally recreate any Relationships
>
> Excuse me, you are wrong. Simply change the fieldtype to Number (Long).
> When changing long to autonumber, you have to create a new table.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Wolfgang
>
> > "Wolfgang Kais" <s...@me.nomore> wrote in message
> >> Hello Pieter.
>
> >> Paul asked for the opposite direction.
> >> HTH.
>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Wolfgang
>
> >> "Pieter Wijnen"
> >> <it.isi.llegal.to.send.unsollicited.mail.wijnen.nospam.ple...@online.replace.with.norway>

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. I did just remove the dependencies, change the
field type, and then replace the dependencies. So far, everything
looks fine (ish, see my next post!).

Paul

0
paulkaye

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

enterprise custom field for overdue tasks
I'm trying to create a view that shows overdue tasks and am having some trouble. I went into enterprise custom fields and tried to create a new Task > Date field with the following formula :IIf([Finish]<[Current Date] And [% Complete]<100,"red","green"). Now I would expect it to populate that field with either "red" or "green" depending on if it meets the criteria. Furthermore I would like to use graphical indicators to show red or green stoplights. However, I cannot get this formula to work - When I add the new field to a ...

more on VBA function name change

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Exporting a date field in Excel to an Outlook Calendar?
Is this possible? ...

Should I change this code?

symbols won't work in form fields
I have Access 2002. We write a lot of letters in French and as I have a QWERTY keyboard, we have shortcuts for the french letters which are missing from the keyboard. For example Ctrl + e is e with an accute accent, Alt + e is e with a grave accent, and so on. It all works just fine in WORD. But in my forms in my ACCESS database, in my fill-in fields, the shortcuts simply don't work. And there is no "symbol" option available in the tool bar to insert a symbol or French character. Is there any way I can add this function in to the database ? thanks .. Roger ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2