Access 2007 - 'Updating Tables' message

  • Follow


I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.

I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.  
There are up to about 30 users at any time.

The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get 
problems with it working very slowly.

I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007 
service pack to no avail.

What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables' 
in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this 
will clear and it works again.

The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very 
quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the 
file becomes the slower it runs.


This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.

0
Reply Utf 2/8/2010 9:54:01 AM

Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
network.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm

Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm


"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BA59FF0E-1F45-4257-9F23-FE3AF3A44649@microsoft.com...
>I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>
> I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>
> The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> problems with it working very slowly.
>
> I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> service pack to no avail.
>
> What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> will clear and it works again.
>
> The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> file becomes the slower it runs.
>
>
> This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>
> Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>
> There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>



0
Reply Jeanette 2/8/2010 10:41:34 AM


It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will have 
problems sooner or later.
Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the front 
end on their desktop computer.


Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
network.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm

Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
And another.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia


"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BA59FF0E-1F45-4257-9F23-FE3AF3A44649@microsoft.com...
>I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>
> I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>
> The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> problems with it working very slowly.
>
> I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> service pack to no avail.
>
> What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> will clear and it works again.
>
> The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> file becomes the slower it runs.
>
>
> This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>
> Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>
> There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>




0
Reply Jeanette 2/8/2010 10:45:55 AM

Thanks Jeannette.

I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.  It 
is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link refers 
back to the 97 version so is not relavant.

Anyone else got any answers please?



"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will have 
> problems sooner or later.
> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the front 
> end on their desktop computer.
> 
> 
> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
> network.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
> 
> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
> And another.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
> 
> 
> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
> 
> 
> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BA59FF0E-1F45-4257-9F23-FE3AF3A44649@microsoft.com...
> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
> >
> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
> >
> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> > problems with it working very slowly.
> >
> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> > service pack to no avail.
> >
> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> > will clear and it works again.
> >
> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> > file becomes the slower it runs.
> >
> >
> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
> >
> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
> >
> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
> >
> 
> 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Reply Utf 2/8/2010 3:06:01 PM

You can dismiss the advice in my last post, but that is the best advice 
there is for your problem.
I know it seems to you that A2007 is responsible for your problems, and 
there is probably nothing I can say that will change your mind.
But think about the advice - it is the best advice for solving problems with 
split databases.
If you are not following the advice in the links from Granite consulting, 
there is not much point it looking for other causes.
If you are following all the advice in those links, then that is the time to 
post back for further advice.
By the way your previous post did not say if you have followed the advice 
from those links - are you?


Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia

"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:368DD346-C29F-43F6-94F8-5A0E1F63406C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Jeannette.
>
> I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003. 
> It
> is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link 
> refers
> back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
> Anyone else got any answers please?
>
>
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
>> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will 
>> have
>> problems sooner or later.
>> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the 
>> front
>> end on their desktop computer.
>>
>>
>> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
>> network.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
>>
>> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
>> And another.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
>>
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>
>>
>> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BA59FF0E-1F45-4257-9F23-FE3AF3A44649@microsoft.com...
>> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>> >
>> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network 
>> > drive.
>> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>> >
>> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
>> > problems with it working very slowly.
>> >
>> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
>> > service pack to no avail.
>> >
>> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating 
>> > Tables'
>> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes 
>> > this
>> > will clear and it works again.
>> >
>> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
>> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger 
>> > the
>> > file becomes the slower it runs.
>> >
>> >
>> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>> >
>> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>> >
>> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Reply Jeanette 2/8/2010 8:15:07 PM

Even though some of the information in those links may have been originally 
written for older versions, most is still relevent for 2007. It is worth the 
time to follow them. Especially name autocorrect, subformdatasheets and 
lookup tables.
Has your back end also been converted to 2007? If not, you might try 
converting that also.

-- 

AG
Email: npATadhdataDOTcom


"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:368DD346-C29F-43F6-94F8-5A0E1F63406C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Jeannette.
>
> I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003. 
> It
> is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link 
> refers
> back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
> Anyone else got any answers please?
>
>
>
> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
>> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will 
>> have
>> problems sooner or later.
>> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the 
>> front
>> end on their desktop computer.
>>
>>
>> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
>> network.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
>>
>> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
>> And another.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
>>
>>
>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>
>>
>> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BA59FF0E-1F45-4257-9F23-FE3AF3A44649@microsoft.com...
>> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>> >
>> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network 
>> > drive.
>> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>> >
>> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
>> > problems with it working very slowly.
>> >
>> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
>> > service pack to no avail.
>> >
>> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating 
>> > Tables'
>> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes 
>> > this
>> > will clear and it works again.
>> >
>> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
>> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger 
>> > the
>> > file becomes the slower it runs.
>> >
>> >
>> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>> >
>> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>> >
>> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> .
>> 



0
Reply AG 2/8/2010 9:13:52 PM

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:01 -0800, sparks <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Jeannette.
>
>I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.  It 
>is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link refers 
>back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
>Anyone else got any answers please?

Other than to agree with Jeannette's absolutely correct advice, not
particularly.

A2007 is more "picky" and sensitive than older versions. Sharing a single
frontend among multiple users has always been a bad idea, but sometimes you
could get away with it in 2003; it's harder to do so in 2007.

If you have good reason to keep the frontend on the server, at least follow
Tony's website's advice and give each user their own private folder with their
own copy of the frontend.
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
Reply John 2/8/2010 9:25:31 PM

Thanks to eveeryone for their suggestions, sorry I have been off line for a 
few days.

I have seen a post, cannot recall where now, that suggests that updateing to 
Access 2007 SP2 has solved his problems.  We have a mix of SP1 and SP2 so 
will try this next.

Our system is actually more complex than I have admitted so far.

We have a FE that integrates many of the Company functions; it runs on a 
server, the same server has an SQL server.  There is an Access BE that is 
also on the same server in a different folder.  There is a main SQL BE where 
most of the variable data is held.  The FE also accesses two other SQL 
databases on the same sever to obtain data which it processes.  Much of the 
data processing is done in SQL.  There is no variable data held in the FE.

This whole system was working absolutly fine under A2003 and has only caused 
problems after conversion to A2007.  Both FE and BE are A2007 .accdb files.

The front end is quite large, about 120MB, it contains a lot of code, forms 
and reports  We are continuously developing it for new functions, this is one 
reason I prefer not to put it on the work stations.  If I really have to I 
could implement an automatic update.

John suggests that A2007 is a bit "picky" which indicatess to me that it 
does have problems that no one seems to want to admit to.

We are looking at the suggestions you have all given but it will take us 
some time to implement.

Thanks again for all your ideas, I will post any progress we get.

Sparks






"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:01 -0800, sparks <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> 
> >Thanks Jeannette.
> >
> >I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.  It 
> >is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link refers 
> >back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
> >
> >Anyone else got any answers please?
> 
> Other than to agree with Jeannette's absolutely correct advice, not
> particularly.
> 
> A2007 is more "picky" and sensitive than older versions. Sharing a single
> frontend among multiple users has always been a bad idea, but sometimes you
> could get away with it in 2003; it's harder to do so in 2007.
> 
> If you have good reason to keep the frontend on the server, at least follow
> Tony's website's advice and give each user their own private folder with their
> own copy of the frontend.
> -- 
> 
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .
> 
0
Reply Utf 2/22/2010 10:39:01 AM

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 02:39:01 -0800, sparks <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>The front end is quite large, about 120MB, it contains a lot of code, forms 
>and reports  We are continuously developing it for new functions, this is one 
>reason I prefer not to put it on the work stations.  If I really have to I 
>could implement an automatic update.

DO IT.

Using a split architecture with everyone using the same frontend is *the
worst* possible configuration. It has all the disadvantages of a shared
database, *and* of a split architecture.

Tony Toews' automatic frontend updater is available, and it certainly sounds
like you could put your own together; but if you persist in sharing a single
frontend on the server, you're just asking for trouble.
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
Reply John 2/22/2010 4:37:14 PM

8 Replies
847 Views

(page loaded in 0.148 seconds)


Reply: