Access 2007 - 'Updating Tables' message

I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.

I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
There are up to about 30 users at any time.

The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
problems with it working very slowly.

I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
service pack to no avail.

What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
will clear and it works again.

The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
file becomes the slower it runs.

This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
network.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm

Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm

"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>
> I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>
> The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> problems with it working very slowly.
>
> I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> service pack to no avail.
>
> What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> will clear and it works again.
>
> The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> file becomes the slower it runs.
>

> This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>
> Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>
> There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.

0
Jeanette
2/8/2010 10:41:34 AM
It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will have
problems sooner or later.
Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the front
end on their desktop computer.

Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
network.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm

Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
And another.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm

"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>
> I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>
> The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> problems with it working very slowly.
>
> I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> service pack to no avail.
>
> What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> will clear and it works again.
>
> The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> file becomes the slower it runs.
>

> This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>
> Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>
> There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.

0
Jeanette
2/8/2010 10:45:55 AM
Thanks Jeannette.

I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.  It
is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link refers
back to the 97 version so is not relavant.

Anyone else got any answers please?

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will have
> problems sooner or later.
> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the front
> end on their desktop computer.
>

> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
> network.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
>
> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
> And another.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
>

> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>

> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
> >
> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network drive.
> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
> >
> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
> > problems with it working very slowly.
> >
> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
> > service pack to no avail.
> >
> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating Tables'
> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes this
> > will clear and it works again.
> >
> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger the
> > file becomes the slower it runs.
> >

> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
> >
> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
> >
> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
> >

> .

You can dismiss the advice in my last post, but that is the best advice
there is for your problem.
I know it seems to you that A2007 is responsible for your problems, and
there is probably nothing I can say that will change your mind.
But think about the advice - it is the best advice for solving problems with
split databases.
If you are not following the advice in the links from Granite consulting,
there is not much point it looking for other causes.
If you are following all the advice in those links, then that is the time to
post back for further advice.
By the way your previous post did not say if you have followed the advice
from those links - are you?

> Thanks Jeannette.
>
> I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.
> It
> is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link
> refers
> back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
> Anyone else got any answers please?
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
>> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will
>> have
>> problems sooner or later.
>> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the
>> front
>> end on their desktop computer.
>>

>> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
>> network.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
>>
>> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
>> And another.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
>>

>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>

>> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>> >
>> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network
>> > drive.
>> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>> >
>> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
>> > problems with it working very slowly.
>> >
>> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
>> > service pack to no avail.
>> >
>> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating
>> > Tables'
>> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes
>> > this
>> > will clear and it works again.
>> >
>> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
>> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger
>> > the
>> > file becomes the slower it runs.
>> >

>> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>> >
>> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>> >
>> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>> >

>> .

0
Jeanette
2/8/2010 8:15:07 PM
Even though some of the information in those links may have been originally
written for older versions, most is still relevent for 2007. It is worth the
time to follow them. Especially name autocorrect, subformdatasheets and
lookup tables.
Has your back end also been converted to 2007? If not, you might try
converting that also.

--

AG
Email: npATadhdataDOTcom

"sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Jeannette.
>
> I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.
> It
> is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link
> refers
> back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
> Anyone else got any answers please?
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:
>
>> It is not recommended to put the front end on the network.
>> If you have everyone using the same front end on the server, you will
>> have
>> problems sooner or later.
>> Instead the recommended scenario is that each user gets a copy of the
>> front
>> end on their desktop computer.
>>

>> Here is a link that  explains how to implement a split database over a
>> network.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/index.htm
>>
>> Here is a link that explains how to speed up a slow database.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm
>> And another.
>> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/performance.htm
>>

>> Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia
>>

>> "sparks" <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have recently updated from Access 2003 to 2007.
>> >
>> > I have a networked system with both front end and data on a network
>> > drive.
>> > There are up to about 30 users at any time.
>> >
>> > The system has worked well for several years under 2003 but now I get
>> > problems with it working very slowly.
>> >
>> > I have tried both a .mdb and a .accdb file format with the latest 2007
>> > service pack to no avail.
>> >
>> > What happens is that the database freezes with a message 'Updating
>> > Tables'
>> > in the bottom left corner of the screen.  After up to several minutes
>> > this
>> > will clear and it works again.
>> >
>> > The other issue is that the size of the front end file increases very
>> > quickly and you need to do a Compact to get it back down.  The larger
>> > the
>> > file becomes the slower it runs.
>> >

>> > This appears to be a new 'Feature' of Access 2007.
>> >
>> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
>> >
>> > There are lots of Google posts but I  have not seen a solution.
>> >

>> .

0
AG
2/8/2010 9:13:52 PM
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:06:01 -0800, sparks <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Jeannette.
>
>I already have a split database that was working fine with Access 2003.  It
>is only with Access 2007 that this problem ocurrs.  Your speed up link refers
>back to the 97 version so is not relavant.
>
>Anyone else got any answers please?

Other than to agree with Jeannette's absolutely correct advice, not
particularly.

A2007 is more "picky" and sensitive than older versions. Sharing a single
frontend among multiple users has always been a bad idea, but sometimes you
could get away with it in 2003; it's harder to do so in 2007.

If you have good reason to keep the frontend on the server, at least follow
Tony's website's advice and give each user their own private folder with their
own copy of the frontend.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

I have seen a post, cannot recall where now, that suggests that updateing to
Access 2007 SP2 has solved his problems.  We have a mix of SP1 and SP2 so
will try this next.

Our system is actually more complex than I have admitted so far.

We have a FE that integrates many of the Company functions; it runs on a
server, the same server has an SQL server.  There is an Access BE that is
also on the same server in a different folder.  There is a main SQL BE where
most of the variable data is held.  The FE also accesses two other SQL
databases on the same sever to obtain data which it processes.  Much of the
data processing is done in SQL.  There is no variable data held in the FE.

This whole system was working absolutly fine under A2003 and has only caused
problems after conversion to A2007.  Both FE and BE are A2007 .accdb files.

The front end is quite large, about 120MB, it contains a lot of code, forms
and reports  We are continuously developing it for new functions, this is one
reason I prefer not to put it on the work stations.  If I really have to I
could implement an automatic update.

John suggests that A2007 is a bit "picky" which indicatess to me that it
does have problems that no one seems to want to admit to.

We are looking at the suggestions you have all given but it will take us
some time to implement.

Thanks again for all your ideas, I will post any progress we get.

Sparks

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 02:39:01 -0800, sparks <sparks@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>The front end is quite large, about 120MB, it contains a lot of code, forms
>and reports  We are continuously developing it for new functions, this is one
>reason I prefer not to put it on the work stations.  If I really have to I
>could implement an automatic update.

DO IT.

Using a split architecture with everyone using the same frontend is *the
worst* possible configuration. It has all the disadvantages of a shared
database, *and* of a split architecture.

Tony Toews' automatic frontend updater is available, and it certainly sounds
like you could put your own together; but if you persist in sharing a single
frontend on the server, you're just asking for trouble.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Pivot table subtotals 100%
This is what I want: Apples ...

HELP: VBScript to detect error messages in excel VBA
I wish to use vbscript to automate macros running over many workbooks. I will allow a number to run at any given time, therefore i need to use vbscript to detect if a macro has ended. This is not posing an issue. The issue I foresee is if the macro being run in the excel book decides to error (maybe because an SQL server is down, or any reason really)... I need the ability to have vbscript work out that the runtime error has occurred in the excel workbook, kill the application, then re-launch the workbook to allow the maco a second run. Essentially, how will i use vbscript to...

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Unique distinct count in pivot table?
I have the following table with fields "Name", "State", and "price": Name State price Mary OH 14.94 Mary OH 15.01 Joe WA 12.17 Joe WA 18.95 I create a pivot table putting State in the row area and Count of Name in the data area. I get the following results: State OH 2 WA 2 This is telling me the number of occurrences of a name in the table in a given state. What I want it to tell me is the number of different names in a state. Is there an elegant way to do this in a pivot table? Much thanks for any help. A pivot table won't calculate a uni...

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

duplicate messages in exchange
Hi everybody Everytime I restart the server, the exchange server resends old e-mails , two months far, could you tell me why is this happening? I t only happens with accounts that work with PST files. ...

Outlook Web Access #19

Missing values from a pivot table field
I am creating a pivot table from an access database containing 896426 records. The issue I am running into is that on one of the fields the pivot table is only pulling in one of two values, but the access table does contain the second value. When I click on the arrow associated with that field it does not contain the second value either. Is there somewhere else in the settings this value could have been lost? Perhaps try Drag the field off the table Refresh the table Drag the field back on. With pivot tables you need to let us know which XL version you have. pivot ta...

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

problems with messages FROM GroupWise users
For the past week or so, I have had a couple of users report that some messages they receive are "garbled." Essentially, it appears that the messages are not being decoded properly, and show up as plain text, with all the internet headers in the body of the message and the actual content of the message looking like garbage: ---------------------------------- X-Mailer: Groupwise 6.5 Message-ID: <20070813T075746Z_0D5900080000@dhec.sc.gov> From: "<sender>" <sender's email address> Subject: RE: E-mail test To: "Milbrand, Rachel A." <rmilbrand...