Access 2007 DLOOKUP

Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This is the expression I am trying to use:=DLookUp("[Name]","[tbl
_DEALERS]","[ ID]=" & [Forms]![frmTRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO]![ ID])

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
First of all, 'Name' is not a good word to use for a field as it is a
reserved word in Access. I suggest you change this field name.
You would put your DLookUp as the control source for the 'Name' field on
your form
=DLookup("[Name]","Dealer","ID = " & ID)

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
JMD.Park -

If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...

If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
If the ID is numeric, then use this:
   =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)

If the ID is numeric, then use this:
   =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")

If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
appropriate DLookup statement above.

--
Daryl S

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:13:01 -0700, JMD.Park
<JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Why not use a dropdown with names? It would have 2 columns: a hidden
ID and a visible Name column.
"Name" is a reserved word. Rename the field to DealerName or some
such.

If you insist on DLookup: the ControlSource for the DealerName field
would be:
=DLookup("DealerName", "DEALER", "ID=" & Me.ID)

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
>bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
>ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
>same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
>Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
>fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
>wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
0
Tom
4/27/2010 2:17:54 PM
"JMD.Park" <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID
> bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID
> or
> Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!

> signature database 4436 (20090918) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4436 (20090918) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
gerjan
4/27/2010 2:31:48 PM
When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[
SEAFOODID] = '" & Me. SEAFOODID & "'") I receive #Name? in the form field

When I use  =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[
SEAFOODID] = " & Me. SEAFOODID) I receive #Name? in the form field

What am I doing wrong?
"Daryl S" wrote:

> JMD.Park -
>
> If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
> reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...
>
> If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)
>
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")
>
> If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
> form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
> appropriate DLookup statement above.
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
SEAFOODID is numeric

"Daryl S" wrote:

> JMD.Park -
>
> If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
> reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...
>
> If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)
>
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")
>
> If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
> form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
> appropriate DLookup statement above.
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]"," tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS "," SEAFOODID =
" & SEAFOODID) I get #Name? in the form field
What am I doing wrong?

"RonaldoOneNil" wrote:

> First of all, 'Name' is not a good word to use for a field as it is a
> reserved word in Access. I suggest you change this field name.
> You would put your DLookUp as the control source for the 'Name' field on
> your form
> =DLookup("[Name]","Dealer","ID = " & ID)
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
You said the table was called Dealer. Is it Dealer or is it
tbl_Historical_dealers ?
You also said the ID was called ID. Is it ID or SEAFOODID ?
You also have spaces around tbl_Historical_Dealers - take these out.
Basically for it to work, the table tbl_Historical_Dealers must contain the
fields called BusinessName and SEAFOODID and SEAFOODID is a numeric data type.

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]"," tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS "," SEAFOODID =
> " & SEAFOODID) I get #Name? in the form field
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> "RonaldoOneNil" wrote:
>
> > First of all, 'Name' is not a good word to use for a field as it is a
> > reserved word in Access. I suggest you change this field name.
> > You would put your DLookUp as the control source for the 'Name' field on
> > your form
> > =DLookup("[Name]","Dealer","ID = " & ID)
> >

> > "JMD.Park" wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
When I use =DLookup("BusinessName ", " tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ", " SEAFOODID
=" & Me. SEAFOODID) I receive #Name? in form field

I would use a drop down but there are hundreds of dealers.
Thanks for trying to help!

"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:13:01 -0700, JMD.Park
> <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Why not use a dropdown with names? It would have 2 columns: a hidden
> ID and a visible Name column.
> "Name" is a reserved word. Rename the field to DealerName or some
> such.
>
> If you insist on DLookup: the ControlSource for the DealerName field
> would be:
> =DLookup("DealerName", "DEALER", "ID=" & Me.ID)
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> >Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> >bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> >ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> >same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> >Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> >fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> >wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
> .

The names are as I have shown recently, sorry just trying to simplify. Guess
I just made it more difficult. The SEAFOODID is numeric.
Tried taking the spaces out
=DLookup("[BusinessName]","tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ","SEAFOODID = " &
SEAFOODID) still receiving #Name? in form field.

On Apr 27, 11:09=A0am, JMD.Park <JMDP...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> The names are as I have shown recently, sorry just trying to simplify. Gu=
ess
> I just made it more difficult. The SEAFOODID is numeric.
> Tried taking the spaces out
> =3DDLookup("[BusinessName]","tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ","SEAFOODID =3D " &
> SEAFOODID) still receiving #Name? in form field.
>

> "RonaldoOneNil" wrote:
> > You said the table was called Dealer. Is it Dealer or is it
> > tbl_Historical_dealers ?
> > You also said the ID was called ID. Is it ID or SEAFOODID ?
> > You also have spaces around tbl_Historical_Dealers - take these out.
> > Basically for it to work, the table tbl_Historical_Dealers must contain=
 the
> > fields called BusinessName and SEAFOODID and SEAFOODID is a numeric dat=
a type.

> > "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > > When I use =3DDLookup("[BusinessName]"," tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS "," S=
EAFOODID =3D
> > > " & SEAFOODID) I get #Name? in the form field
> > > What am I doing wrong?

based on the field names that you have provided you can try this.

=3DDLookup("[BusinessName]"," [tbl HISTORICAL DEALERS] ","[SEAFOODID] =3D
me![SEAFOODID]")
0
vvariety
4/27/2010 3:23:43 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:04:01 -0700, JMD.Park
<JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I use =DLookup("BusinessName ", " tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ", " SEAFOODID
>=" & Me. SEAFOODID) I receive #Name? in form field

I think you still have problems with blanks and brackets; and the Me. keyword
applies only in VBA code, not on forms. Try

=DLookup("BusinessName", "tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS",
"[SEAFOODID] = " & [SEAFOODID])

>I would use a drop down but there are hundreds of dealers.
>Thanks for trying to help!

So what? If it's just for display you'll be fine. A Combo can hold up to 65536
rows (not that I'd ever use one a tenth that size for user input). Depends on
how you're using it!
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"vvariety" wrote:

> On Apr 27, 11:09 am, JMD.Park <JMDP...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > The names are as I have shown recently, sorry just trying to simplify. Guess
> > I just made it more difficult. The SEAFOODID is numeric.
> > Tried taking the spaces out
> > =DLookup("[BusinessName]","tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ","SEAFOODID = " &
> > SEAFOODID) still receiving #Name? in form field.
> >

> > "RonaldoOneNil" wrote:
> > > You said the table was called Dealer. Is it Dealer or is it
> > > tbl_Historical_dealers ?
> > > You also said the ID was called ID. Is it ID or SEAFOODID ?
> > > You also have spaces around tbl_Historical_Dealers - take these out.
> > > Basically for it to work, the table tbl_Historical_Dealers must contain the
> > > fields called BusinessName and SEAFOODID and SEAFOODID is a numeric data type.

> based on the field names that you have provided you can try this.
>
> =DLookup("[BusinessName]"," [tbl HISTORICAL DEALERS] ","[SEAFOODID] =
> me![SEAFOODID]")
> .

Receive #Error in BusinessName field of form, SEAFOODID does not accept
characters
NOT CHARACTERS, I MEANT NUMBERS

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> Receive #Error in BusinessName field of form, SEAFOODID does not accept
> characters
> This =DLookUp("BusinessName","tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS","SEAFOODID =" &
> [Me].[SEAFOODID]) accepts without errors but will not allow me to type in
> SEAFOODID on the form and BusinessName gives #Name?
> Any ideas?
>
> "vvariety" wrote:
>
> > On Apr 27, 11:09 am, JMD.Park <JMDP...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > The names are as I have shown recently, sorry just trying to simplify. Guess
> > > I just made it more difficult. The SEAFOODID is numeric.
> > > Tried taking the spaces out
> > > =DLookup("[BusinessName]","tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ","SEAFOODID = " &
> > > SEAFOODID) still receiving #Name? in form field.

> > based on the field names that you have provided you can try this.
> >
> > =DLookup("[BusinessName]"," [tbl HISTORICAL DEALERS] ","[SEAFOODID] =
> > me![SEAFOODID]")
> > .

Which is text?

"Daryl S" wrote:

> JMD.Park -
>
> If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
> reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...
>
> If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)
>
> If the ID is numeric, then use this:
>    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")
>
> If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
> form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
> appropriate DLookup statement above.
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
Still will not allow me to type in SEAFOODID and BusinessName is #Name?

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:04:01 -0700, JMD.Park
> <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I use =DLookup("BusinessName ", " tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS ", " SEAFOODID
> >=" & Me. SEAFOODID) I receive #Name? in form field
>
> I think you still have problems with blanks and brackets; and the Me. keyword
> applies only in VBA code, not on forms. Try
>
> =DLookup("BusinessName", "tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS",
> "[SEAFOODID] = " & [SEAFOODID])
>
> >I would use a drop down but there are hundreds of dealers.
> >Thanks for trying to help!
>
> So what? If it's just for display you'll be fine. A Combo can hold up to 65536
> rows (not that I'd ever use one a tenth that size for user input). Depends on
> how you're using it!
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:53:02 -0700, JMD.Park
<JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Still will not allow me to type in SEAFOODID and BusinessName is #Name?

I don't understand.

This DLookUp is looking up a value from a table based on a (numeric) value in
a form. It has NOTHING TO DO with "typing in".

Back up a bit. What is the context? Is this an expression in the Control
Source of a Form textbox? What's the Recordsource for the form (post the SQL)?
Where are you typing? Why would you be typing in a numeric SEAFOODID anyway,
rather than concealing it and picking from a user-friendly combo box?
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

If you are using this expression in a query (that is not within code behind
the form), then you need to provide the form name rather than use Me.  I also
see a space between the Me. and SEAFOODID, so if this is in the form, you
might only have to remove the space.

If you are using this outside of the form (say in a query or report), then
you will use it like this (use your form name):

=DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
Forms![yourformname].[SEAFOODID])

--
Daryl S

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> Which is text?
>
> "Daryl S" wrote:
>
> > JMD.Park -
> >
> > If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
> > reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...
> >
> > If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
> > If the ID is numeric, then use this:
> >    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)
> >
> > If the ID is numeric, then use this:
> >    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")
> >
> > If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
> > form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
> > appropriate DLookup statement above.
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "JMD.Park" wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone please help me with this expression? I am trying to use an ID to
> > > bring up a Name in a form. The form is named ISSUE. The table that has the
> > > ID's and Name is DEALER. The form and table fields are named exactly the
> > > same. Is this where I am making my mistake? Do I put the Dlookup in the ID or
> > > Name control source? I am new to this, so if someone could tell me what
> > > fields and table names to put in the expression and where that would be
> > > wonderful. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter!
This is a form. The form name is frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO. I want to be
able to type in the SEAFOODID on the form frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO and have
the expression bring up the BusinessName on the form
frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO.
It is in the Control Source of a Form textbox named BusinessName.
Record Source for the form is tblTRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO.
There are hundreds of SEAFOODID's (numberic) that have a corresponding
number of BusinessNames' (text).
I hope I have answered all your questions.
Ah, the combo box, if I have to resort to this option if I choose the
SEAFOODID will it save the BusinessName in the table?

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:53:02 -0700, JMD.Park
> <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Still will not allow me to type in SEAFOODID and BusinessName is #Name?
> >

> I don't understand.
>
> This DLookUp is looking up a value from a table based on a (numeric) value in
> a form. It has NOTHING TO DO with "typing in".
>
> Back up a bit. What is the context? Is this an expression in the Control
> Source of a Form textbox? What's the Recordsource for the form (post the SQL)?
> Where are you typing? Why would you be typing in a numeric SEAFOODID anyway,
> rather than concealing it and picking from a user-friendly combo box?
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID]
= " &
Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[SEAFOODID])
I receive #Name? and a red corner I'm assuming indicates an error.

"Daryl S" wrote:

> JMD -
>
> If you are using this expression in a query (that is not within code behind
> the form), then you need to provide the form name rather than use Me.  I also
> see a space between the Me. and SEAFOODID, so if this is in the form, you
> might only have to remove the space.
>
> If you are using this outside of the form (say in a query or report), then
> you will use it like this (use your form name):
>
> =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
> Forms![yourformname].[SEAFOODID])
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > Which is text?
> >
> > "Daryl S" wrote:
> >
> > > JMD.Park -
> > >
> > > If you can, change the fieldname from Name to something else.  Name is a
> > > reserved word in Access, and this will cause you problems...
> > >
> > > If you are looking up the Name, then you use the ID to look it up.
> > > If the ID is numeric, then use this:
> > >    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = " & Me.ID)
> > >
> > > If the ID is numeric, then use this:
> > >    =DLookup("[Name]","[DEALER]","[ID] = '" & Me.ID & "'")
> > >
> > > If you want the resulting name to be displayed in the Name field on the
> > > form, then set the Control Source property of the name textbox to the
> > > appropriate DLookup statement above.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daryl S

Also with the combo box on form frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO, is it able to
look up SEAFOODID and BusinessName from a table named tbl_Historical_Dealers?

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:53:02 -0700, JMD.Park
> <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Still will not allow me to type in SEAFOODID and BusinessName is #Name?
> >

> I don't understand.
>
> This DLookUp is looking up a value from a table based on a (numeric) value in
> a form. It has NOTHING TO DO with "typing in".
>
> Back up a bit. What is the context? Is this an expression in the Control
> Source of a Form textbox? What's the Recordsource for the form (post the SQL)?
> Where are you typing? Why would you be typing in a numeric SEAFOODID anyway,
> rather than concealing it and picking from a user-friendly combo box?
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

JMD -

Red Corner? That sounds like Excel, not Access...  Where is there a red
corner?

Where are you putting this code?  Can you post either the entire procedure
or SQL so we can help?

 --
Daryl S

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID]
> = " &
> Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[SEAFOODID])
> I receive #Name? and a red corner I'm assuming indicates an error.
>
> "Daryl S" wrote:
>
> > JMD -
> >
> > If you are using this expression in a query (that is not within code behind
> > the form), then you need to provide the form name rather than use Me.  I also
> > see a space between the Me. and SEAFOODID, so if this is in the form, you
> > might only have to remove the space.
> >
> > If you are using this outside of the form (say in a query or report), then
> > you will use it like this (use your form name):
> >
> > =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
> > Forms![yourformname].[SEAFOODID])
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "JMD.Park" wrote:
> >
> > > Which is text?

JMD -

Another thought...  Check for proper fieldnames.  Is SEAFOODID the name of a
numeric field in tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS, and is it also the name of the
control on the form frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO?  If the name of the control
is say, txtSEAFOODID, then you must use that instead, like this:

=DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
 Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[txtSEAFOODID])

You can also test these out while debugging using the debug.print command,
which will display the results in the immediate window.  Try putting these
before your DLookup code:

Debug.Print Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[txtSEAFOODID]
Debug.Print

"JMD.Park" wrote:

> When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID]
> = " &
> Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[SEAFOODID])
> I receive #Name? and a red corner I'm assuming indicates an error.
>
> "Daryl S" wrote:
>
> > JMD -
> >
> > If you are using this expression in a query (that is not within code behind
> > the form), then you need to provide the form name rather than use Me.  I also
> > see a space between the Me. and SEAFOODID, so if this is in the form, you
> > might only have to remove the space.
> >
> > If you are using this outside of the form (say in a query or report), then
> > you will use it like this (use your form name):
> >
> > =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
> > Forms![yourformname].[SEAFOODID])
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "JMD.Park" wrote:
> >
> > > Which is text?

WORKS! Typed this in the after update event
Private Sub SEAFOOD_ID_AfterUpdate()
BusinessName.Value = DLookup("BusinessName", "tbl_Historical_Dealers",
"SeafoodID =" & Me.[SEAFOOD_ID])
Me.Form.Refresh
End Sub

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TRIED TO HELP! Especially John in Montgomery who
finally figured it out. As you will notice I did NOT have one of the field
names typed properly.

"Daryl S" wrote:

> JMD -
>
> Another thought...  Check for proper fieldnames.  Is SEAFOODID the name of a
> numeric field in tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS, and is it also the name of the
> control on the form frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO?  If the name of the control
> is say, txtSEAFOODID, then you must use that instead, like this:
>
> =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
>  Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[txtSEAFOODID])
>
> You can also test these out while debugging using the debug.print command,
> which will display the results in the immediate window.  Try putting these
> before your DLookup code:
>
> Debug.Print Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[txtSEAFOODID]
> Debug.Print
> =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
> Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[txtSEAFOODID])
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "JMD.Park" wrote:
>
> > When I use =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID]
> > = " &
> > Forms![frm_TRIP_TICKETS_ISSUED_TO].[SEAFOODID])
> > I receive #Name? and a red corner I'm assuming indicates an error.
> >
> > "Daryl S" wrote:
> >
> > > JMD -
> > >
> > > If you are using this expression in a query (that is not within code behind
> > > the form), then you need to provide the form name rather than use Me.  I also
> > > see a space between the Me. and SEAFOODID, so if this is in the form, you
> > > might only have to remove the space.
> > >
> > > If you are using this outside of the form (say in a query or report), then
> > > you will use it like this (use your form name):
> > >
> > > =DLookup("[BusinessName]","[ tbl_HISTORICAL_DEALERS]","[SEAFOODID] = " &
> > > Forms![yourformname].[SEAFOODID])
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daryl S

WORKS! Typed this in the after update event SEAFOODID
Private Sub SEAFOOD_ID_AfterUpdate()
BusinessName.Value = DLookup("BusinessName", "tbl_Historical_Dealers",
"SeafoodID =" & Me.[SEAFOOD_ID])
Me.Form.Refresh
End Sub

Also Enabled Content in 2007!

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:53:02 -0700, JMD.Park
> <JMDPark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Still will not allow me to type in SEAFOODID and BusinessName is #Name?
> >

> I don't understand.
>
> This DLookUp is looking up a value from a table based on a (numeric) value in
> a form. It has NOTHING TO DO with "typing in".
>
> Back up a bit. What is the context? Is this an expression in the Control
> Source of a Form textbox? What's the Recordsource for the form (post the SQL)?
> Where are you typing? Why would you be typing in a numeric SEAFOODID anyway,
> rather than concealing it and picking from a user-friendly combo box?
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

access mail on WEB

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

How to remove IRM from Office 2007 Docs
Hello, I had to rebuild my box today. Prior to the rebuild I moved all files from all profiles onto a remote drive. My files & docs were protected on the existing build. Once the new build was completed, I am unable to access most docs. The doc title is in green text and the following message sp9ins up when I select one of the docs- "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges (<drive>:\rebuild BU\file name) OS = Win XP SP3 Office = Office 2007 Thanks for any assistance~ Mark C. ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...

Access 2007
How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. Thanks, Mike In form design view, select the controls that you want to ungroup, click on the "Arrange" tab above, then click on "Remove" (fourth button from the left in the Arrange toolbar) HTH -- _________ Sean Bailey "Mike" wrote: > How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. > > Thanks, > Mike Wow that was right under my nose and I was missing it. Thanks! "Beetle" wrote: > In form design view, select the con...

Different ways to extract data from Access to Excel
I have been using Access 2003 and 2007 to read and do simple data (not design) repairs to old Jet databases that underlie a legacy proprietary data collection program my company uses. My latest challenge is to automate the extraction of certain data from the tables and put it in an Excel spreadsheet. Each time the extraction is done it would involve finding a certain table, searching for a record that meets the new criteria in a certain field, then moving over to another certain field and extracting the text, number, or date therein. I would really appreciate if anyone could point out ...