Access 2003 won`t start.....

  • Follow

I tried to start Access 2003 several times today after not using it for a
while and it won`t start.  I did a MS Office Pro repair, and a Reinstall.
Neither has helped.  I did not remove Office 2003 Pro and then reinstall from
scratch yet.  That is  my next option.

I read on the web that Access won`t start when IE7 is installed on my XP
Home system.

Outlook, PPoint, Publisher, Excel, etc. all start but not Access.

Any suggestions?  I looked through past threads but can find nothing on this
subject. Thank You

Plain
--
what a mess!
0

That may have been OWA (Outlook Web Access), but there are no particular
problems that I am aware of with Access and IE7. As a matter of fact, I have
Access 2003 and 2007, both running on a Vista machine with IE7.

If all else has failed, try uninstalling Office 2003, rebooting, running a
registry cleaner, rebooting, then reinstall Office 2003. You might find a
good registry cleaner at:

http://www.registrycleanerscompared.org
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"plainolguy" <plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to start Access 2003 several times today after not using it for a
> while and it won`t start.  I did a MS Office Pro repair, and a Reinstall.
> Neither has helped.  I did not remove Office 2003 Pro and then reinstall
> from
> scratch yet.  That is  my next option.
>
> I read on the web that Access won`t start when IE7 is installed on my XP
> Home system.
>
> Outlook, PPoint, Publisher, Excel, etc. all start but not Access.
>
> Any suggestions?  I looked through past threads but can find nothing on
> this
> subject. Thank You
>
> Plain
> --
> what a mess!

0
Reply Arvin 1/13/2008 11:05:05 PM

plainolguy <plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried to start Access 2003 several times today after not using it for a
>while and it won`t start.

Any messages?   Try running Windows Task Manager and see if
msaccess.exe is in the running processes list.  If so cancel it and
try again.

Have you tried rebooting?  I assume you have as your posting indicates
a reasonable level of competence but I have to ask.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:54:00 -0800, plainolguy
<plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried to start Access 2003 several times today after not using it for a
>while and it won`t start.  I did a MS Office Pro repair, and a Reinstall.
>Neither has helped.  I did not remove Office 2003 Pro and then reinstall from
>scratch yet.  That is  my next option.
>
>I read on the web that Access won`t start when IE7 is installed on my XP
>Home system.
>
>Outlook, PPoint, Publisher, Excel, etc. all start but not Access.
>
>Any suggestions?  I looked through past threads but can find nothing on this
>subject. Thank You
>
>Plain

Something other than that is odd. I'm using IE7 and Access 97, 2000, 2002 and
2003 all on the same computer with no difficulties.

What happens when you try to start? An error message, an immediate exit, crash
the PC, lock it up...?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
Reply John 1/14/2008 12:16:10 AM

--
what a mess!

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:54:00 -0800, plainolguy
> <plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I tried to start Access 2003 several times today after not using it for a
> >while and it won`t start.  I did a MS Office Pro repair, and a Reinstall.
> >Neither has helped.  I did not remove Office 2003 Pro and then reinstall from
> >scratch yet.  That is  my next option.
> >
> >I read on the web that Access won`t start when IE7 is installed on my XP
> >Home system.
> >
> >Outlook, PPoint, Publisher, Excel, etc. all start but not Access.
> >
> >Any suggestions?  I looked through past threads but can find nothing on this
> >subject. Thank You
> >
> >Plain
>
> Something other than that is odd. I'm using IE7 and Access 97, 2000, 2002 and
> 2003 all on the same computer with no difficulties.
>
> What happens when you try to start? An error message, an immediate exit, crash
> the PC, lock it up...?
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Guys:

Thanks for answering back.  I go to "Programs, Microsoft Office" etc. etc.
then when I click on Access I get a Windows Installer dialogue box.  Then
another dialogue box appears informing me Windows is installing MS Office Pro
2003.  Office has been on this machine about a year and a half..  Anyway,
after the dialogue box informing me of Office installation I get nothing the
same as if I had never clicked on Access in the first place.  As I said
before (I think) all other apps in Office work perfectly.

For some strange reason MSACCESS.EXE is pinned to my Start menu.  I am not
sure how that got there and haven`t noticed it until I tried to start Access
the other day from the "Programs" avenue.

I would prefer not to uninstall and reinstall if possible as I am not sure
how to protect my Outlook pst backup files.  Any suggestions?  I have Office
on a different partition than XP Home for these past 1.5 years.

Again, Thanks....

Plain
0
Reply Utf 1/14/2008 9:46:02 PM

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:46:02 -0800, plainolguy
<plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I would prefer not to uninstall and reinstall if possible as I am not sure
>how to protect my Outlook pst backup files.  Any suggestions?

Uninstalling and reinstalling Access (rather than all of Office) will not
affect your pst files... and you should certainly have them backed up offline
in any case! Can you just delete msaccess.exe from your Startup folder? Doing
so should certainly not harm Outlook (or do Access any more harm).

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
Reply John 1/15/2008 1:38:55 AM

--
what a mess!

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:46:02 -0800, plainolguy
> <plainolguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I would prefer not to uninstall and reinstall if possible as I am not sure
> >how to protect my Outlook pst backup files.  Any suggestions?
>
> Uninstalling and reinstalling Access (rather than all of Office) will not
> affect your pst files... and you should certainly have them backed up offline
> in any case! Can you just delete msaccess.exe from your Startup folder? Doing
> so should certainly not harm Outlook (or do Access any more harm).
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Thanks John!

I`m embarassed!  That was so easy!  I didn`t even think to try uninstalling
then reinstalling Access.  It worked like a charm.  Thanks again and to all
who responded, have a good week!

Plain
0
Reply Utf 1/16/2008 1:56:01 AM