[Access 2007] How to edit custom menubar created in Access2003?

Hello,

This is my first post to this server, Hello everyone.

We're working on a database created by my collegue in MS Access 2003. Since
some time we've moved to MS Access 2007. Now we find problems editing the
menubar. Each time we want to remove/add/alter a menu item my collegue goes
to his MS Access 2003 and changes a menu.
In 2007 the full menubar is visible under Add-Ins ribbon menu.

Normally there should be a system table USysRibbon, but it is not there.
There are only MSys* objects. How can we change the menubar directly in MS
Access 2007? Is that possible at all?

Best regards,
Remi.
0
Remi
12/14/2009 8:45:20 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Remi Pi" <r.pilipczuk@no.spam.vlassenroot.pl> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this server, Hello everyone.
>
> We're working on a database created by my collegue in MS Access 2003.
> Since
> some time we've moved to MS Access 2007. Now we find problems editing the
> menubar. Each time we want to remove/add/alter a menu item my collegue
> goes
> to his MS Access 2003 and changes a menu.
> In 2007 the full menubar is visible under Add-Ins ribbon menu.
>
> Normally there should be a system table USysRibbon, but it is not there.
> There are only MSys* objects. How can we change the menubar directly in MS
> Access 2007? Is that possible at all?
>
> Best regards,
> Remi.

the USysRibbon is ONLY for custom ribbons. You have to use code to
modify/create menu bars.

So, the choices you have for modifying menu bars in 2007 are quite limited.
I suggest you either;

a) use 2003 to change the menus
b) use VBA code to modify the menus
c) replace the menus with ribbons

The above choices are not ideal. However, there is no user graphical
interface in 2007 that lets you edit menus graphically.

You can continue to use menus however. In fact, you can even hide the
ribbon, and display menu bars the same way they look in previous versions.

Here is some code examples in modifying the menu bars:

http://www.accessribbon.de/en/index.php?Access_-_Ribbons:Menus___Toolbars:Toolbars

Note that for access 2010, there is a built in ribbon customizer that allows
you to modify and add buttons/groups to ribbons. However, this ribbon
customizer is for ribbons, not menu bars..

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
12/14/2009 3:41:30 PM
Dnia Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:41:30 -0700, Albert D. Kallal napisa�(a):

> "Remi Pi" <r.pilipczuk@no.spam.vlassenroot.pl> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first post to this server, Hello everyone.
>>
>> We're working on a database created by my collegue in MS Access 2003.
>> Since
>> some time we've moved to MS Access 2007. Now we find problems editing the
>> menubar. Each time we want to remove/add/alter a menu item my collegue
>> goes
>> to his MS Access 2003 and changes a menu.
>> In 2007 the full menubar is visible under Add-Ins ribbon menu.
>>
>> Normally there should be a system table USysRibbon, but it is not there.
>> There are only MSys* objects. How can we change the menubar directly in MS
>> Access 2007? Is that possible at all?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Remi.
>
> the USysRibbon is ONLY for custom ribbons. You have to use code to
> modify/create menu bars.
>
> So, the choices you have for modifying menu bars in 2007 are quite limited.
> I suggest you either;
>
> a) use 2003 to change the menus
> b) use VBA code to modify the menus
> c) replace the menus with ribbons
>
> The above choices are not ideal. However, there is no user graphical
> interface in 2007 that lets you edit menus graphically.
>
> You can continue to use menus however. In fact, you can even hide the
> ribbon, and display menu bars the same way they look in previous versions.
>
> Here is some code examples in modifying the menu bars:
>
> http://www.accessribbon.de/en/index.php?Access_-_Ribbons:Menus___Toolbars:Toolbars
>
> Note that for access 2010, there is a built in ribbon customizer that allows
> you to modify and add buttons/groups to ribbons. However, this ribbon
> customizer is for ribbons, not menu bars..

Thank You very much for the comprehensive answer.

We indeed have hidden ribbon and display menus only, when the user logs in
standard way (witho no SHIFT key pressed). When we log in with the SHIFT
key pressed, it gives us a nice admin interface to the database (which is
actually an user interface to real MS SQL database).
I'm not sure is that fine to use only the ribbons, since few of our users
still uses Office 2003. Won't it be a problem for 2003 users if we replace
menus to ribbons?

On Your link I found examples how to create new ribbons - that's useful,
thanks. But is there any way to get VBA code for current menus? Maybe from
2003 version, so we can easly copy/paste this code into 2007 version.

Thanks in advance,
Remi.
0
Remi
12/14/2009 4:23:21 PM

> I'm not sure is that fine to use only the ribbons, since few of our users
> still uses Office 2003. Won't it be a problem for 2003 users if we replace
> menus to ribbons?

The above is correct. If you have a mix of 2003, and 2007 users, then you
have to stick to using menus.

> On Your link I found examples how to create new ribbons - that's useful,
> thanks. But is there any way to get VBA code for current menus? Maybe from
> 2003 version, so we can easly copy/paste this code into 2007 version.

Just like a form in design mode, there is no code for that form (just a
bunch of numbers that hold the position of a text box on the screen...code
reads that information and displays the text boxes...so, there not code, but
only saving values that represent the form.

The same occurs for the menus. There is not code, but only entries in a
object that has those menu bars...

It is possible that the original developer did use code to create the custom
menu bars, but you would be easily able to see that code in the application
now. So,  the developer might be using code now, but you would easily see
that code in the VBA code editor for a form or in the application startup
code that runs. So, I would just check/look at the startup code that runs
when the application starts up..if there is no menu bar code, then the
developers used the "customize" menus option and did not write code. Both
approaches were common, but if no code was used to create the menu bars,
then again for 2007 you not be able to use/modify that code because no code
was used.

So, to modify existing menu bars, or add, or remove buttons...you have to
resort back to using VBA code to make those changes. So, there is no
"hidden" code for a form or menu bars...you have to use the design tools to
modify that particular object in question.

For 2007, to modify menu bars you have no other choice but to write code....

For example, you can write some VBA code to open a form up in design mode,
and add or remove a text box, however it is far more easy to use the form's
design tools and make the changes with the mouse in form's design mode.

In 2007, the menu bar design tools don't exist anymore, so you have to write
code to make changes to menu bars.

Since you supporting both 2007, and 2003, you really have to stick to the
lowest common system for development. There is tons of features in 2007 that
2003 does not have yet. (the ribbon is only one of many features new to
2007).

I think the best solution here would be to do all development in 2003 since
that is the lowest common system that you can expect users to have.

While going forward is easy for for most software systems, going back is
difficult.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

0
Albert
12/14/2009 5:05:45 PM
Dnia Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:05:45 -0700, Albert D. Kallal napisa�(a):

> "Remi Pi" <r.pilipczuk@no.spam.vlassenroot.pl> wrote in message
>
>> I'm not sure is that fine to use only the ribbons, since few of our users
>> still uses Office 2003. Won't it be a problem for 2003 users if we replace
>> menus to ribbons?
>>

> The above is correct. If you have a mix of 2003, and 2007 users, then you
> have to stick to using menus.
>
>> On Your link I found examples how to create new ribbons - that's useful,
>> thanks. But is there any way to get VBA code for current menus? Maybe from
>> 2003 version, so we can easly copy/paste this code into 2007 version.
>>

> Just like a form in design mode, there is no code for that form (just a
> bunch of numbers that hold the position of a text box on the screen...code
> reads that information and displays the text boxes...so, there not code, but
> only saving values that represent the form.
>
> The same occurs for the menus. There is not code, but only entries in a
> object that has those menu bars...
>
> It is possible that the original developer did use code to create the custom
> menu bars, but you would be easily able to see that code in the application
> now. So,  the developer might be using code now, but you would easily see
> that code in the VBA code editor for a form or in the application startup
> code that runs. So, I would just check/look at the startup code that runs
> when the application starts up..if there is no menu bar code, then the
> developers used the "customize" menus option and did not write code. Both
> approaches were common, but if no code was used to create the menu bars,
> then again for 2007 you not be able to use/modify that code because no code
> was used.
>
> So, to modify existing menu bars, or add, or remove buttons...you have to
> resort back to using VBA code to make those changes. So, there is no
> "hidden" code for a form or menu bars...you have to use the design tools to
> modify that particular object in question.
>
> For 2007, to modify menu bars you have no other choice but to write code....
>
> For example, you can write some VBA code to open a form up in design mode,
> and add or remove a text box, however it is far more easy to use the form's
> design tools and make the changes with the mouse in form's design mode.
>
> In 2007, the menu bar design tools don't exist anymore, so you have to write
> code to make changes to menu bars.
>
> Since you supporting both 2007, and 2003, you really have to stick to the
> lowest common system for development. There is tons of features in 2007 that
> 2003 does not have yet. (the ribbon is only one of many features new to
> 2007).
>
> I think the best solution here would be to do all development in 2003 since
> that is the lowest common system that you can expect users to have.
>
> While going forward is easy for for most software systems, going back is
> difficult.

Thank You for Your answers, we're probably going to switch to Access 2007
completely and convert menus to ribbons.
--
Best regards,
Remi Pi

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

How to create a ledger sheet
Hello. I have a database with the following tables:Customers, Orders, and PaymentsThe Customers table has a one-to-many relationship with the Orderstable. The Customers table also has a one-to-many relationship withthe Payments table.I am trying to create what I think is commonly called a ledger sheet.This sheet simply shows the dollar amount of every order that anindividual customer has placed (debits) and every payment that thecustomer has made (credits). It also shows a running balance. Entriesare shown in chronilogical order.I am having trouble creating a report that would draw debits from...

Excel Row to Access Columns

Excel, ODBC and creating queries
Does anyone know of a way to create a query based on values or formula in a spreadsheeet? Thanks in advance, J -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com From reading between the lines of your post, I am guessing that you have an Access Database with which you want to create a query based on a spreadsheet. If this is the case, you will need to open your database and in the tables section of your databse , right mouse click in the area showing your table names, and select "Link Tables" from the menu. Once you have followed the rest of the steps in the link wizard, a...

Access

Relationship Type
hi I have mapped the relationship type between customer and company. However if the relationship typoe is changed at the company level it does not propagate to all its contacts and vice versa. Pleasseeeeeee advice on how i can get this done as this field is quiet crucial to our business and a lot of reporting. Kind Regards Ridhima Ridhima, Mapping only works on the Creation of the new (mapped to) record, as you have seen. To get the relationship type to propogate to the company's linked contacts, you'll have to write a post-callout process that checks the pre and post-xml, iden...

Create Your FREE Niche Search Engine For Earning Affiliate Program
Create Your FREE Niche Search Engine For Earning Affiliate Program Commissions. http://Findality.com/tissa.htm ...

Reinstall Office Student/Teacher Edition
This is a question involving the maximum of 3 installations of Offic 2004 for Mac. My daughter's iBook crashed and she had to do a new erase and instal of Tiger, which we then upgraded to 10.4.6. We reinstalled Office 2004 and it worked fine on our LAN, until sh used AutoUpdate to update all the Office apps. Now when she tries t start any of the Office apps while connected to our LAN, she gets message that we've exceeded our three installations of the app, eve though there is only ONE other Mac connected to the LAN. So we tried reinstalling again to re-input the next of three pr...

Creating a header using non-contiguous rows
Using Excel 2000 I am using the FILE/Page Setup/Sheet tab/Rows to repeat at top technique to create a header. I currently have $1:$4 in the Rows to repeat at top. I also want to include rows 15 and 16. I have not found a way to do this. Any suggestions? Bernie No way to do this. "Print titles must contiguous and complete rows or columns" is the error message you get when you try to select non-contiguous rows. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:55:45 -0700, "Bernie Doepkens" <Bdoepken@dbm.state.md.us> wrote: >Using Excel 2000 >I am using the F...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

List opportunities order by estimatedclosedate and name of custome
I had done an aspx that returns all open opportunities ordered ascending by estimatedclosedate, or ordered ascending by name of customer. But when i try to order de two attributtes at the same time, nothing happens, because if i filter first by name of customer, and next by estimatedclosedate, the result comes ordered by estimatedclosedate. Anyone can help me? -- Regards, Pedro Airó ...

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Accounting with Ms Access