Numbering the Records of a Query

Hi folks,
I'm using the code module below to create a extra column which will number,
in serial order, the records produced by my query. The problem is that when
it creates the number list and the list reaches a record in the reference
field which is repeated,  it repeats the number used when the record was
first encountered, like shown below. How can I edit the code or correct the
issue so that number continue in serial order '1 thru 6'.

ConstMon     No.
Jan	1
Feb	2
Mar	3
Apr	4
Feb	2
Mar	3
Jan	1

Function Serialize(qryname As String, keyname As String, keyvalue) As Long
On Error GoTo Err_Serialize
     Dim db As Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
      Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(qryname, dbOpenDynaset, dbReadOnly)
     rs.FindFirst Application.BuildCriteria(keyname, rs.Fields(keyname).Type,
keyvalue)
     Serialize = Nz(rs.AbsolutePosition, -1) + 1
Err_Serialize:
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing
End Function

SQL:
SELECT QryDiscChart7.ConstMon, Serialize("QryDiscChart12","ConstMon",
[ConstMon]) AS Expr1
FROM QryDiscChart7;

Thanks in advance.
Dave

dp724

dp724 via AccessMonster.com wrote:
>I'm using the code module below to create a extra column which will number,
>in serial order, the records produced by my query. The problem is that when
>it creates the number list and the list reaches a record in the reference
>field which is repeated,  it repeats the number used when the record was
>first encountered, like shown below. How can I edit the code or correct the
>issue so that number continue in serial order '1 thru 6'.
>
>ConstMon     No.
>Jan	1
>Feb	2
>Mar	3
>Apr	4
>Feb	2
>Mar	3
>Jan	1
>
>Function Serialize(qryname As String, keyname As String, keyvalue) As Long
>On Error GoTo Err_Serialize
>     Dim db As Database
>Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>      Set db = CurrentDb
>    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(qryname, dbOpenDynaset, dbReadOnly)
>     rs.FindFirst Application.BuildCriteria(keyname, rs.Fields(keyname).Type,
>keyvalue)
>     Serialize = Nz(rs.AbsolutePosition, -1) + 1
>Err_Serialize:
>    rs.Close
>    Set rs = Nothing
>    Set db = Nothing
>End Function
>
>SQL:
>SELECT QryDiscChart7.ConstMon, Serialize("QryDiscChart12","ConstMon",
>[ConstMon]) AS Expr1
>FROM QryDiscChart7;

There is no way to determine the order of records in a
table.

That means that the only way to "serialize" records is when
the table contains one or more fields that can be used to
provide a **unique** sort of the records.

If there are such fields, then you can use a subquery to
calculate each record's position in the sorted list.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Marshall Barton wrote:
>>I'm using the code module below to create a extra column which will number,
>>in serial order, the records produced by my query. The problem is that when
>[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]
>>[ConstMon]) AS Expr1
>>FROM QryDiscChart7;
>
>There is no way to determine the order of records in a
>table.
>
>That means that the only way to "serialize" records is when
>the table contains one or more fields that can be used to
>provide a **unique** sort of the records.
>
>If there are such fields, then you can use a subquery to
>calculate each record's position in the sorted list.

dp724

Numbering
Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:07:02 -0700, carosaam <carosaam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I enter numbers in a cross functional flowchart? Yes. Do you mean for the process names or function names? Yes. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

Insert Multiple Records into a Table
Can I insert multiple records into a table using "INSERT INTO"., it seems it can insert only one record at one time. INSERT INTO Table1 (F1, F2, F3, F4) VALUES ( 'CCP', 0.0115, 0.008202, 120) Is there an alternate way to insert multiple records in MS Access Table using a query. Please help. Thanks. mario wrote: >Can I insert multiple records into a table using "INSERT INTO"., it seems it >can insert only one record at one time. > >INSERT INTO Table1 (F1, F2, F3, F4) VALUES ( 'CCP', 0.0115, 0.008202, 120) > >Is there ...

How do I expand the number of characters in Access comment box?
I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 characters in a "Comment" box. Hi, You could try changing your table's field type to Memo. Assuming that your are talking about a field in a table, that maybe shows on a form. If that is not the case, please describe precisely what comment box your are attempting to use. Clifford Bass Pearlene wrote: >I am using Access 2007 and want to be able to include more than 250 >characters in a "Comment" box. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

negative number to positive number
How can I change a negative number to positive number Multiply by -1 or use the ABS() function. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I change a negative number to positive number =ABS(##) or mult it by -1 -- Regards Rob "fgiord" <fgiord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C2A6DA-7AC2-4379-AEFC-B3D6F3698E58@microsoft.com... > How can I chan...

Hide page numbers for mutliple discontiquous levels
Hi: I need to hide the page numbers for levels 1 and 7 in my TOC. I used the \n switch to hide level 1, but cannot find a way to specify multiple ranges for this switch. Is there a way to do this? I am using Word 2003. Phil You have to use a trick. See the "Omitting page numbers for noncontiguous levels" section of http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#OmitPageNumbers -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Phillip Llacuna" <phillip.v.llacuna@lmco.com> wrote in me...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Sequential numbering in Number field
When I am entering transactions manually, I will put "Debit" or "VISA" to indicate how the withdrawl was made. When I download my account information, Money05 overwrites this with a sequential number. I have to go into the entry a second time to redo my change. Does anyone know how to turn this "feature" off? I want my values used - sequential numbering does not help me in the slightest. This is not a "feature" you can turn off. It's a reflection of the basic premise of downloaded transaction data. The presumption with downloading data...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Numbering, revisited
While there are already a lot of posts about numbering, I haven't been able to find the solutions for my specific quandry... [BTW, I'm posting this under "General" even though ultimately I'd like to make macros to support the answer -- since a manual solution needs to be the first step! :) ] Background: My workgroup is preparing to migrate to Word 2007 very soon. We create/maintain hundreds of large procedure manuals, each containing multiple chapters (sometimes up to 40-50 per manual). Each chapter consists of steps, using multi-level numbered lists...

transaction number in PC Charge
Is there any way to manage the fields that should go to PC Charge while tendering credit cards in RMS. The problem is that transaction number ( called Ticket in PC Charge) doesn't appear in PC Charge and that cost as extra money. Regards, Ewa ...

Limit number of characters in a cell
Hi, Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a cell. I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't want them to be more than 35 characters. Thanks for the help Dr. Senji Take a look at Data|Validation. You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a too-long string. Dr Senji wrote: > > Hi, > > Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a > cell. > > I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't > want the...

Case, Quote numbering
We should have the ability to number the cases without having a suffix. If we do have a suffix, we should be able to define the suffix. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Unsaved Record Indicator
I do not want the record selector displayed. Is there a way to fake an Unsaved Record Indicator using an image? I tried: Private Sub Form_Current() Dim ctl As Control If Me.Controls!ctl.Change Then Me.Image124.Visible = True Else Me.Image124.Visible = False End If End Sub Of course, it didn't work. Has anyone done this or have any ideas? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201006/1 lmcc via ...

Duplicate records between RM20201 and RM30201?
I recently discovered there are quite a few records that are duplicated between our RM20201 (RM Apply Open) and RM30201 (RM Apply History) tables. Is this normal? It would seem that once something gets put to the RM30201 table it should be removed from the RM20201 table. If the duplicates in the RM20201 file are, in fact, invalid - how would one go about fixing the situation? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 ...

Rounding numbers to the nearest thousand
Simple question (i hope) Is there a simple way i can round numbers to the nearest thousand by using the format cells command. For example i would like to display 1,234.56 as 12 I don't want to be diving by 1000 and rounding to zero decimal places because i still want the whole number displayed in the formula bar when selecting it. i use excel 2003 thanx Mark Format the number as #,##0,;-#,##0, or similar. Not the comma at the end - this tells Excel to display as thousands (two commas here will display as millions). Note that 1,234.56 will display as 1 (thousand) not 12. "...

Append many queries to tables
I'm trying to automate the running of 8 queries that append to 3 different existing tables (for example): qry1, qry2, qry3 appends to tbl1. qry4, qry5, qry6 appends to tbl2. qry7, qry8 appends to tbl3. I've been doing this process manually, the tables already exist with the proper field names that align with the field names in the qry's. There is no duplication of fields between qrys or tbls. Since I do this once every week I have to first make a blank copy of each table (keeping the original field names and settings only), then I delete the old table and then I append each...

sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel
A column contains both strictly numbers and also numbers that are followed by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a) Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a), row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)? Thank you -- MZ =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like number...

Form of phone numbers in contact list
I am using Blackberry's Desktop Software to syncronize with my MS Outlook Contacts list. The onboard caller-id function of the phone that is supposed to correlate the incoming phone number to a name of a contact (should the number be in my contacts list) isn't working. According to help from Blackberry the problem is the "form" of the numbers as they're being loaded on the Blackberry from MS Outlook. Specifically, apparently the fact that the numbers are stored in the form of (###) ###-#### instead of something like ###-###-#### is keeping the phone from realizi...

get data from a table not in a query
Hi all. I have the following issue: I have a query with the following tables: WCust, WFees, and RateType. The WCust contains customer name, address, etc., WFees contains vaious fees paid, and RateType contains 3 different rate types and the rates specific to each type. The RateType table stores rates for retail customers. If type "B" then 20rate = .75 and if type "T" then 20rate = 1.25. My issue is that the wholesale customer sells to both types "B" and "T". So when using a form called WCustFees and entering total cartons sold to type "...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...

page numbering #15
Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? Yes, View, Master page or Background, depending on the version. The numbering will have a # symbol. Put the text either before the # or after. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0708E7D-BAAB-4BD4-A940-3E7BF2C8A938@microsoft.com... > Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Yes,...

Concatonating Records Via SQL?
Got tblPerson. Got tblPhone. Lots of phone numbers per person. But I want a result set with one row per person - that shows all of the phone numbers concatenated into a single column. Whenever I've had to do this in the past, I resorted to a VBA routine to pre-process the phone numbers or whatever into a work table with one row per person and then joined to that work table. Is this something than can be done in SQL without being abusive? i.e. I don't want to get into doing something with SQL that will bog down unduly when scaled. -- PeteCresswell Hi Pete, I don't know of a...