In Access, how do I join two tables into one report?

I am trying to complete an Access project and have created a database of two
tables - one of family and one of friends that I have to put into a one page
report.  Their are only 3 records in each table.  I have worked hours trying
to figure this out and have enlisted the help of some computer savvy friends.
 None of them could figure out how to do it either.  I think we are very
close, but just can't seem to get that last little bit of what we need to do.
 Can someone please give me some suggestions?  Thanks.

Linda,

Let's assume your family table has a unique key of familyID.  Your second
table should have at least two columns, familyID, friendsID to define the
friendship which combined make a primary key.

Create a query that contains two copies of familyID and one copy of
friendsID.  Join the first copy of friends IDto the faimlyID in the friends
table, and the second copy of familyID to the friendsID in the friends table.

For example

SELECT tblFamilies.familyID AS Family, tblFamilies_1.familyID AS FreindsWith
FROM (tblFamilies INNER JOIN tblFriends ON tblFamilies.familyID =
tblFriends.familyID) INNER JOIN tblFamilies AS tblFamilies_1 ON
tblFriends.friendsID = tblFamilies_1.familyID;

Base your report on this query.

Hope this helps.

"Linda" wrote:

> I am trying to complete an Access project and have created a database of two
> tables - one of family and one of friends that I have to put into a one page
> report.  Their are only 3 records in each table.  I have worked hours trying
> to figure this out and have enlisted the help of some computer savvy friends.
>  None of them could figure out how to do it either.  I think we are very
> close, but just can't seem to get that last little bit of what we need to do.
>  Can someone please give me some suggestions?  Thanks.
We don't generally _do_ homework, but we do suggest approaches to help you
over stumbling-blocks.  Two ways to show data from different tables in a
single report are:

1.  Create a UNION or UNION ALL SQL statement including both the tables and
use that as the RecordSource of the Report. Check Help on this -- you can
create it only in SQL View. This will allow you to, for example, order by
Last Name, regardless of whether the record is for a family member or a
friend.

2. Create a Report for each of the Tables, and imbed the two in Subreport
Controls in a main Report. In this case, you'd have a sort order for Family
(in the Report in one Subreport Control) and a separate sort order for
Friends (in the Report in the other Subreport Control).

Quite possibly, there are other approaches, but I suspect one of these will
satisfy the requirements of your assignment.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Access MVP

"Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to complete an Access project and have created a database of
>two
> tables - one of family and one of friends that I have to put into a one
> page
> report.  Their are only 3 records in each table.  I have worked hours
> trying
> to figure this out and have enlisted the help of some computer savvy
> friends.
> None of them could figure out how to do it either.  I think we are very
> close, but just can't seem to get that last little bit of what we need to
> do.
> Can someone please give me some suggestions?  Thanks.

0
Larry

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

TWO CRM SERVERS 02-03-06
Is it possible to install two CRM Servers in the same domain using a single Exchange Server? It will work four outbound email, but even with the v3.0 router changes, I do not know if it will work for inbound email. Probably need to check with support on this for sure. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Irshard" <Irshard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C18EF5EA-F47C-44CC-9B18-D2799DAF3ED4@microsoft.com... Is it possible to install two CRM Servers in the same domain using a single Exchange Server? yes it is. NOTE: This is already assuming you have two...

XPath problem with two xmlns
I have got file raport.rld which is an XML file generated by MS Reporting Services. The problem is: in this file are tags from two different namespaces xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2003/10/reportdefini tion" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner" when I'm trying to use XPATH to get <teble> tag it doesn't work. (the result is empty) I've removed All tegs like <rd:TypeName>System.Int32</rd:TypeName> Now all is working fine but what to do when I have tags from two different...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

How do you make a two page purchase order?
I am using a Purchase order template, and the order needs to be 2-3 pages long. How do I continue the page on to another page and have the ending total be correct? If the sheet formulas are working correctly, then just put page breaks at the spots you want the new pages to begin. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200713 ...

Pivot table subtotals 100%
This is what I want: Apples ...

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

How do i set up two series on a scatter plot?
I need to set up two series on my scatter plot so that I can do two trendlines to find my stoichiometric point from all data gathered in my chemistry lab class. Make the chart as usual with one of the series. Copy the range containing X and Y values for the next series, select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add a New Series, Categories in First Column. Now do a trendline for each series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ yellastang wrote: > I need to set up...

how to add two business cards to Outlook 2003 signature card
I have two businesses, one a dealer and the other a manufaturer's rep. Is there a way to add another business card graphic (I use a scanner to scan my business cards to put into signature)? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe t...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Unique distinct count in pivot table?
I have the following table with fields "Name", "State", and "price": Name State price Mary OH 14.94 Mary OH 15.01 Joe WA 12.17 Joe WA 18.95 I create a pivot table putting State in the row area and Count of Name in the data area. I get the following results: State OH 2 WA 2 This is telling me the number of occurrences of a name in the table in a given state. What I want it to tell me is the number of different names in a state. Is there an elegant way to do this in a pivot table? Much thanks for any help. A pivot table won't calculate a uni...

can you make one worksheet update another
I have two similar worksheets within the same workbook. One sheet is sorted by name and the other sheet is sorted by a date for a speicfic name. Is there a way to change the date on the sheet, sorted by name, and that will automatically find the name on the other sheet(sorted by date) and change the date to the second sheet? Jaime, The normal way is to have one table, and sort it as needed when needed. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Jaime S." <Jaime S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Missing values from a pivot table field
I am creating a pivot table from an access database containing 896426 records. The issue I am running into is that on one of the fields the pivot table is only pulling in one of two values, but the access table does contain the second value. When I click on the arrow associated with that field it does not contain the second value either. Is there somewhere else in the settings this value could have been lost? Perhaps try Drag the field off the table Refresh the table Drag the field back on. With pivot tables you need to let us know which XL version you have. pivot ta...

need totals from all days in a month in one place
Hi All, I'v browsed this group for an answer to this, with no success. This is my situation: I need to end up with the number of days during a given month on which the total number of residents ("Occupancy") meets or exceeds 90% of our Capacity of 27. I've done this with an Excel spreadsheet, summing these columns: Col A Col B Col C Col D Date ~ # of residents ~ % of Capacity ~ 0 or 1, depending ="Col B"/27 ~ =IF("Col C" >0.9,1,0) Is there an expression(s) that will give me...