How do I make an average on a report out of formula totals?

I've made a report titled HR Efficiency Report. This report contains the
employee name, their pay rate and all of the information needed to calculate
formulas. I have successfully created a text box titled Total Eff that
properly displays the formula  =[On Std Earned]/[Total Hourly Pay]. This
report is based on a query and I would like the user to be able to run the
query based on a single employee (which I have successfully done as well).
However, I am running into a problem when I try to get an average for my
Total Eff text box. Every time I try to open it it opens an Enter Parameter
Value box and asks me for the On Std Earned and the Total Hourly Pay. I have
both of these text boxes (which also contain formulas) in the report as well.
Why am I getting this message? Is there an easier way to get an average of
numbers that have been calculated already?

user

user via AccessMonster.com wrote:

>I've made a report titled HR Efficiency Report. This report contains the
>employee name, their pay rate and all of the information needed to calculate
>formulas. I have successfully created a text box titled Total Eff that
>properly displays the formula  =[On Std Earned]/[Total Hourly Pay]. This
>report is based on a query and I would like the user to be able to run the
>query based on a single employee (which I have successfully done as well).
>However, I am running into a problem when I try to get an average for my
>Total Eff text box. Every time I try to open it it opens an Enter Parameter
>Value box and asks me for the On Std Earned and the Total Hourly Pay. I have
>both of these text boxes (which also contain formulas) in the report as well.
>Why am I getting this message? Is there an easier way to get an average of
>numbers that have been calculated already?

You are getting the prompts because the aggregate functions
(Count, Sum, Avg, etc) do not know about controls (text box,
label, etc) in the report.  They only know about fields in
the report's record source table/query.

That means you can get the desired answer by either moving
the calculations from report text boxes to calculated fields
in the record source query OR by replacing the text box
names in the Avg expression with the expressions in the [On
Std Earned] and [Total Hourly Pay] text boxes.

As an example of the latter approach, suppose you want to
average the total value of the items in an invoice and the
value of the items is calculated in a detail text box with
the expression =Qty * Price.  Since you can not calcultae
the average using =Avg([detail total]), you would ned to use
=Avg(Qty * Price)

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

You may need to add something to your report's record source so it becomes
available in your report. Check out my reply to "Avereging the subtotals in
Reports" thread a little more recent in this news group.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"user via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I've made a report titled HR Efficiency Report. This report contains the
> employee name, their pay rate and all of the information needed to calculate
> formulas. I have successfully created a text box titled Total Eff that
> properly displays the formula  =[On Std Earned]/[Total Hourly Pay]. This
> report is based on a query and I would like the user to be able to run the
> query based on a single employee (which I have successfully done as well).
> However, I am running into a problem when I try to get an average for my
> Total Eff text box. Every time I try to open it it opens an Enter Parameter
> Value box and asks me for the On Std Earned and the Total Hourly Pay. I have
> both of these text boxes (which also contain formulas) in the report as well.
> Why am I getting this message? Is there an easier way to get an average of
> numbers that have been calculated already?

> .

show total number of items in Inbox and Sent Items
My Outlook 2002 used to show (somewhere on the bottom of the screen) the total number of items in the folder that was highlighted, if the folder was "Inbox" or "Sent Items". This was helpful because I try to keep the number of items pretty low. Somehow (updates, patches, our IT person???) this function has disappeared. Any ideas on getting it back? Thanks ...

Make Default

Excel Calculation Error for formula to sum
I entered a formula of =sum(E11:E56) for example and excel did not return a correct calculation. I checked the format of the cells and it is a custom one. I checked for hidden values and could not find any (to my understanding it will show a blank cell but if the cell is highlighted and it is a hidden value it will show the number in the formula bar). The sum that Excel returned is exactly 6033 over, which is a value that is included of what I told excel to add for me. Any ideas? I changed the format to general, to a number, etc and it did not help. Also, another item that is stra...

Print reports offline ?
A customer is missing the print button in reports when going offline, any ideas how to fix this ? /Jack Hi Jack, The ability to view SSRS reports offline in CRM is handled by "Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005" (essentially a "lite" ssrs viewer) - this is installed when you setup the Offline client. As far as I understand, this application does not include a print rendering engine. No idea why - this seems like a bit of a gap to me ... The best way to handle this? Get the users to export the report to PDF and print it from the PDF viewer if they nee...

Exchange Reporting Tools
We have run into a problem with the Exchange Mailbox Management tool. We have not been able to get it to generate the reports needed. I have found some Exchange Admin tools and was wondering if anyone can recommend some admin tools for Exchange 2003. Also does anyone know how to get the Mailbox Manager to generate the reports? I have set it up to run at Midnight and selected it to run only the reports and setup that policy for it to follow. Do I need to do anything else? Thanks, Jeff Diaz Jeff <jdiaz@p1fs.com> ha scritto nel messaggio 2pVZe.104387$xl6.5002@tornado.tampabay...

disabled contacts & reports
Hi folks, I'm looking for confirmation that disabled contacts do not appear in CRM reports pertaining to contacts. Thanks, Tim D ...

Formula calculation question
I need to total up a set up computations based upon two columns. For example: A B 1] 1 24.00 2] 2 12.00 3] 1 5.00 4] [formula] Cell 4B needs to be a formula of (A1*B1) + (A2*B2) + (A3+B3)...and so on, for as many rows there are. Is there an excel function or syntax shortcut that is simpler than writing the above "(A1*B1)+..." calculation? -Phil One way: =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3,B1:B3) HTH Anders Silven "Phil Servedio" <pservedio@fast-track.com> skrev i meddelandet news:b7338b82.0405131340.751616df@post...

making a transfer show up in the budget

making tickets

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Problem with Money 2003 report
I am trying to make a report with Money 2003, I hae used this program for some time. I used Money 2002 prior to this. Up till now I have been ale to make a report by going to "Reports", "What I Have", "Account Balance History". Now I am getting a error message "There Has Been an Error Reading or Writing the File '.'" and a small window apperars "MSMONEY, with a yellow triangle and a !" When clicking the OK box or the Close X, nothing happens. I have to use the Windows Task Manager to close it out. Can someone help. I need to ma...

How to display project date on report
Hi-- I have a project that spans two days and I'm printing each day on its own page. I want to be able to display the actual day that the tasks occur on each page. I can't seem to find an appropriate field in the drop down box in the print options. Is it possible to do this? Many thanks. If you're printing a Gantt chart, zoom in to day by day. Under Tools, Options and the View tab, select a date format that includes the day of the week. -- Rod Gill Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http:/...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

formula in cells
I'm going to try and explain this a little better and give you the actual cells that I am trying to calculate: I have net pay in cell B8, withdraws in cell C8 and the Balance in D8. I would like row D to add B, subtract C and display the balance. So when I put in the next paycheck on B9, D9 will reflect the amount from D8, add to it B9, subtract C9 if a value is there and display the balance in D9. I would like the cells in Column D for the last value entered to be blank until data is entered into them and not display the last balance the whole way down the spread sheet. Does this...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Inserting a formula into a Word Table
How do you insert a multiplication formula in the last cell of a Word Table so that it only multiples the two previous cells, or the is there a way to pick the cells that you want it to use for the formula? Insert a formula field and do the calculations as you would in Excel. For example: { = A1*A2 } would multiply the values in cell A1 and A2. To insert the field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. Type in the code. Use F9 to update the result. To show/hide field codes in the selection, use Shift+F9. To show/hide field codes in the whole document, use Alt+F9. Note that table calcul...

Reports and 9.0 sp3
I installed 9.0 SP3 and 2007 year-end tax update last week and my users are reporting some differences in some payroll reports. Here is one... Precheck Report Transactions->Payroll->Calculate Checks There is more detail (and a larger number of pages) showing on the "Calculate Checks Report" (aka "Precheck Report"). Instead of a two-line summary of REGPAY and OT, there is a multi-line detail showing what looks like each day's totals. Did the "9.0 SP3 and 2007 year-end tax update" modify the precheck report in any way and is there a way to go back ...

Is there a formula to find one phrase in a selection?
Hey again, Is there a formula I can use to figure out if there is one specific phrase in a selection? I'm updating the attendance prgram at the school that I work at. Every student has their own attendance sheet in Excel, and each sheet sort of looks like this: |Monday| Period 1:| A | (A=Absent; S=Seat time) Period 2:| S | Period 3:| A | So basically, if they have one or more "S"s, we can count them as being present for the day. I need the formula to find out if there is an "S" in that column, and if there is, I need it ...

when copying sheet, warning that formula or sheet
When copying a sheet within a workbook, I sometimes get a warning that the formula or sheet contains a name, do you want to proceed. Many times, the name is my own name. How do I get rid of these embedded names? I'd get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp It'll help you decide what you want to do with the name. Mark wrote: > > When copying a sheet within a workbook, I sometimes get a warning that the > formula or sheet contains a name, do yo...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only